• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Shan

Oct 27, 2017
You know the worst part? Is that in a week very few will care.
And women will be continued to be treated like trash from this industry.

Is increasing hard for me to enjoy a hobby when you know the people behind it are trash.
And not just the people behind it, the fanbase too. That continue to use my gender as an insult and to discredit us.
That is unfortunately true. As soon as metoo2 end, it won't be long before everything goes back the way it used to be, until a metoo3. It won't be a constant non-stop battle till changes occurs.

And it absolutely suck.

VeePs

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017

That workplace family feeling.

I've been a huge fan of Insomniac since Spyro, and Ted Price always seemed like a really good guy in the interviews. That coupled with the fact they won multiple "best place to work for" awards... leads me to being surprised about this. I guess I was naive, and this shit is in every workplace, but man.

With Ted Price still being at the top, and being there for these many years, I feel like this shit falls on him. I wouldn't be surprised if he promoted this toxic culture - but hopefully that is not the case.

Hopefully other game studios/companies get exposed.

Loud Wrong

Feb 24, 2020
Reading her account of what happened left me questioning my desire to buy a PS5 for Ratchet and Spider-Man, and then Insomniac's second tweet appeared and I am now firmly in the not-buying-these-games camp. What a fucking tone deaf response by Insomniac.

Kolx

Oct 25, 2017
Did they release their typical PR of "we'll investigate this" yet or no? because that shit is starting to become meaningless. Where the fuck were you when this shit happened?

Ser Ignatius

Chicken Chaser
Apr 15, 2020
Tweet 1/2 was fine, tweet 2/2 comes across as absolutely tone deaf and it is very disappointing.

OP
OP
XaviConcept

XaviConcept

Art Director for Videogames
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I know its depressing but seeing the "oh no, not Insomniac" posts made me aware that, you know, Im sure 90% of every game company out there has stories like these and we need to stop thinking they dont. What were seeing here is further proof of systemic sexism in this industry and Im sure it permeates most other industries as well.

One thing we have learned from the recent events is that its not enough to not be racist, you have to be anti racist. Same goes with sexism, dont get complacent when things seem "normal" you have to be active in fighting sexism. I didnt encounter much sexist behavior at EA (I myself reported a very troubling incident and it was resolved) but that doesnt mean its not happening and I could have done more to make sure it was an even better working environment for the women who worked there. Im sure lots of people at Insomniac are high quality human beings but they were clearly not taking forward action towards elevating the experience of the non white CIS employees. Some of it is malice but a select few, yes but Im certain most of it is the naivete afforded by the status quo.

Dont be surprised if more stories come out, Im sure each big company has at least one current scandal like this, treat it more like the new normal, demand that these companies do better moving forward so we can start changing the culture for good.

SirKai

Dec 28, 2017
Washington
Oh no, I'm not judging you. I was judging the corporation for lacking any empathy or sense of remorse. Or promising to do the right thing. You quoted me and engaged me into a discussion, and came in on your high horse about the "poor soul who runs the twitter account of Insomniac." As if this statement could have been posted without the involvement of the highest leadership.

I said that I was going to boycott Insomniac in my original statement. Didn't tell YOU what to do. Why are so concerned with my actions?

Because you're intrusively pushy about mine?

This multi-million dollar company with misogynist leadership doesn't need you to defend them. Perhaps you could use your words to uplift the victim's voice here rather than the abuser's.

I don't give a fuck about "Insomniac" as a company, but I maintain it's a pretty reasonable response to not hold a PR person's statement over the fire for this, especially if this was guided/dictated specifically by management (which is unquestionably was), and the value of the statement even if it was miraculously somehow a "good" response would still be nothing compared to what it's addressing. The words in my initial post are clearly not uplifting the abuser, so I'm not even sure where that accusation came from. What can I do specifically, here, in this thread, to uplift the victim's voice? Why is that something you came at me for?

StayMe7o

May 11, 2018
Kamurocho
I know its depressing but seeing the "oh no, not Insomniac" posts made me aware that, you know, Im sure 90% of every game company out there has stories like these and we need to stop thinking they dont. What were seeing here is further proof of systemic sexism in this industry and Im sure it permeates most other industries as well.

One thing we have learned from the recent events is that its not enough to not be racist, you have to be anti racist. Same goes with sexism, dont get complacent when things seem "normal" you have to be active in fighting sexism. I didnt encounter much sexist behavior at EA (I myself reported a very troubling incident and it was resolved) but that doesnt mean its not happening and I could have done more to make sure it was an even better working environment for the women who worked there. Im sure lots of people at Insomniac are high quality human beings but they were clearly not taking forward action towards elevating the experience of the non white CIS employees. Some of it is malice but a select few, yes but Im certain most of it is the naivete afforded by the status quo.

Dont be surprised if more stories come out, Im sure each big company has at least one current scandal like this, treat it more like the new normal, demand that these companies do better moving forward so we can start changing the culture for good.

Well said and I'm hoping that the people who have realized the importance of #BLM also apply that same line of thinking here too.

Victims should feel safe to share their stories and I'm glad that many are (despite the bullshit that'll probably come with it).

Magnus

Oct 25, 2017
I don't know what anyone expected in regards to a tweet. This is a standard response and you'll see more of it from other companies. Any public statement is going to be boilerplate.

Don't hold your hopes in them putting out a statement you'll approve of. Because legally they most likely can't
This.

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017

Edit: misunderstood it

Last edited:

Unkindled

Nov 27, 2018
Fuck Insomniac games for letting this happen and worst of all it's from the people at the top. I'm done with them.

Deleted member 60096

User requested account closure
Banned
Sep 20, 2019
This is absolutely awful and she is so brave to come forward with this. And Insomniac's reply is manipulative and disgusting

Lausebub

Nov 4, 2017
Man fuck all of this. I hope we see a lot of preople getting fired in the comming days/weeks at these companies.

Zhengi

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
You guys don't get it. Insomniac means they're a family place, as long as you're a cis white male. You know, like a fraternity.

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
You know the worst part? Is that in a week very few will care.
And women will be continued to be treated like trash from this industry.

Is increasing hard for me to enjoy a hobby when you know the people behind it are trash.
And not just the people behind it, the fanbase too. That continue to use my gender as an insult and to discredit us.

I feel like MeToo movement will have long legs given how pervasive and systemic these issues have been and are. Furthermore, (and I may be completely wrong) it seems like the movement is gaining momentum inspired by the on-going global BLM protests. So, as long as one person has the courage to shine a light on the rot, others who have been victimized may feel most comfortable to corroborate, if not more, at present.

Given that Insomniac is now a Sony PS subsidiary, perhaps sufficient pressure can be directed towards Sony to get them enact long term changes.

Feb 16, 2018
That Insomniac tweet was total empty business pr bullshit, they need to address this much better. Unfortunately workplace sexism is still very commonplace especially in the games industry.

J-Skee

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
There is one way systemic sexism can be addressed: strike. Let's see what happens when numerous people from multiple people stop working & hurting the bottom line.

Dragon1893

Oct 25, 2017
Seems like this industry is as toxic on the inside as on the outside. The world is full of shitty people.

ElephantShell

Oct 25, 2017
That's not much of a response. Still reading through the thread, I hope that's not really 'it'.

Probably will be it for now as (hopefully) things are happening... Don't know if SIE will get directly involved, they should. Worst case scenario is this dies down and nothing happens but I hope that is not the case.

Oct 27, 2017
The culture and toxicity that has been nurtured and fostered in so many industries, but especially the tech industry, is god damn revolting. And while there have been some marginal steps to improve, it hasn't even been close to enough when it comes to addressing the realities that so many women have to deal with in a male dominated sphere.

I can't imagine the mental, physical and emotional anguish of having to deal with this shit. It makes me physically ill.

Thankful she spoke out and had the courage + strength to come forward. I hope more women will come forward when they're ready to share their own experiences because people need to be held accountable. They've been getting away with encouraging and ignoring this garbage for far too long.

DSoup

Oct 28, 2017
London
The society we live in is a result of the words and actions of the people of the society. It isn't some plant that arises out of the earth of its own accord. And they ARE liable. There WAS wrongdoing.
I don't want to get into a debate about what society is, but if society was truly the barometer of what was right or wrong than #blacklivesmatter wouldn't be such an instantly recognisable hashtag - it would't be necessary at all. The words that form the cornerstone of society remains the law, which is overwhelmingly driven the lobbyists who typically represent large organisations and not individuals like those victims who have come forward to speak up.

I find it difficult to shake my experience eight yers back when I had a poor-performing team member and, having exhausted all other options, had to follow the disciplinary route and in response I had a sexual harassment accusation case made against me. It was fabricated and unravelled as colleagues countered false claims made against me, then against them. The independent team investigating took a while to get to that point and during the months of investigation nothing was said openly other than "we're investigating". It was awful for me but worse, false allegations disproved undermine genuine complaints because every claim then comes with a seed a doubt.

For example, if Harvey Weinstein is accused of being a predator, of course he'll defend himself. Because he's a piece of shit. But why should WE be giving excuses for his response to the accusations? The words of Insomniac here show the kind of company it is, and the kind of people who run it. I want nothing to do with them. Why's that a problem for anyone else in this thread? I didn't tell YOU what to do. I just said what I was gonna do. You are free to make your own decisions and judgments about the company.
I think the difference here is that Harvey Weinstein was accused as an individual and Insomniac is accused of corporate-level failings. You can say that shouldn't make a difference, and I would agree, but it is different.

Arion

Oct 26, 2017
The very concept of HR is farcical. It's real job is to protect the company not the people working there. Complaining to them doesn't work because they aren't there to help employees.

Pancakes R Us

Oct 27, 2017
I've been a huge fan of Insomniac since Spyro, and Ted Price always seemed like a really good guy in the interviews. That coupled with the fact they won multiple "best place to work for" awards... leads me to being surprised about this. I guess I was naive, and this shit is in every workplace, but man.

With Ted Price still being at the top, and being there for these many years, I feel like this shit falls on him. I wouldn't be surprised if he promoted this toxic culture - but hopefully that is not the case.

Hopefully other game studios/companies get exposed.
FYI best place to work for awards are bullshit, the whole company gets asked to fill in a survey for X company's 'best places to work for award' submission. Doesn't mean shit.

Deleted member 23046

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
The culture and toxicity that has been nurtured and fostered in so many industries, but especially the tech industry, is god damn revolting
en.wikipedia.org

Brotopia - Wikipedia

www.nytimes.com

In ‘Brotopia,’ Silicon Valley Disrupts Everything but the Boys’ Club (Published 2018)

Emily Chang’s book looks at the way male cliques in the tech world use their newfound wealth and power to get whatever it is they had previously been denied — mainly stuff, status and sex.

NoUse4AName

Banned
Feb 5, 2019
"This likely happens everywhere" is not a good way to adress this.

I mean. it happen everywhere....is not different in the company that make your phone or your shoes or pants. Saying that doesn't mean that your defending Insomniac.

If we want to make real changes we need to make companies accountable for this kind of issue and not buying their products is the only way that consumers can demand change to big companies... The catch is that it mean stop buying almost everything.

You don't going to change this or any other industry if you don't change the whole country.

ItchyTasty

Feb 3, 2019
Wow that second tweet is tone deaf like hell.

Sounds like a cliché to say, but I'm really not interested in their games anymore.

metalslimer

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
You dont have to respond to the direct allegations and breach privacy issues but that statement is some hot garbage.

That's the most generic bullshit we are doing and dont care pr response I've seen since...I guess blizzard

Oct 25, 2017

I would say probably even more than that. Even the Night in the woods dev had a case and those folks are legit