• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Jan 11, 2018
Wow, very disappointing. Its incredible how fucking hard it is for some people not to have the absolute bare minimum of decency towards others.

DSoup

Oct 28, 2017
London
This former employee literally contemplated suicide as a direct result of the harassment she received for years at Insomniac. How about some empathy? Some recognition of wrongs done? Some promise to make amends? How about just a fucking sorry? Is that too much to ask?

The unfortunate truth is that such a response could be construed as conceding wrongdoing and therefore liability. That's the society we live in.

arsene_P5

Prophet of Regret
Apr 17, 2020
Horrible story and I am disgusted about how some men treat women. Unbelievable.

Temascos

Oct 27, 2017
Very disappointed in Insomniac, you lot better clean your shit up for the sake of those who suffered and for the future of the company.

So many good people have been driven away from the industry thanks to this toxic bullshit that has permeated throughout the industry, and for what? So some big boys can feel good about themselves? There's enough challenges and stress in the games industry without having to literally fear what your co-workers and people who you are meant to trust might do to you.

TheRealTalker

Oct 25, 2017
This is really sad to hear. I always assumed Insomniac was a great place to work due to awards on such, etc...

I guess not and I feel sorry for those that suffered there due to actions of some terrible people.

Insomniac please address this and clean house, this shouldn't be acceptable.

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I know nothing about the comic book industry but I wouldn't be surprised. It has become apparent over the last few years that this sort of behavior is common amongst all industries and has been accepted for way too long. Hopefully meaningful change is coming.
It's basically like, anywhere you find men

Oct 25, 2017
They can detail how inclusive and protective their policies are. They can describe how they have effectively shield workers from predatory co-workers. They can fire HR managers that are in there now that are not doing their jobs right. They can make new positions to hold them better accountable. They can donate to women's rights groups. They can describe existing resources or set up new resources for employees that can assist those that are harmed inside or outside the company (my company has a mental health line).

They, instead, only tweeted two messages in a sea of allegations. They have time to better respond, but not much.

Well these are just the first tweets. But you honestly won't get them stating that they fired someone publicly. That would open them up to lawsuits.

Absent

Oct 26, 2017
I remember that there was a private twitter thread last year talking about all of this, but it got quickly deleted. Basically because he or she was fearing backlash. Quickly deleted the account too. Which sucks, because the feed was a treasure trove of game development information (mostly about working at other triple AAA studios). The QA insight was brutal.

Always wondered what happened to that person and if she or he is doing fine.

Last edited:

Minthara

Freelance Market Director
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Montreal
...That's not the response I would have posted on Twitter Insomniac.

I hope any other victims keep telling their stories, it's important for everyone to hear them. Especially since there is likely many more voiceless stories that won't be told as well.

SirKai

Dec 28, 2017
Washington
User banned (3 days): hostility
This former employee literally contemplated suicide as a direct result of the harassment they received for years at Insomniac. How about some empathy? Some recognition of wrongs done? Some promise to make amends? How about just a fucking sorry? Is that too much to ask?

I'll gladly die on this hill, thank you very much. This multi-million dollar company with misogynist leadership doesn't need you to defend them. Perhaps you could use your words to uplift the victim's voice here rather than the abuser's.

Get over yourself. I'm not going to apologize for having the basest level of perspective that obviously realizes a boiler plate, by-the-numbers statement like this, from a fucking corporation, means practically nothing even IF they did put an apology in there. Don't ever judge someone else for how they use their "words" when all the wrath in your response was about the statement and not the actual crimes committed.

Sanka

Banned
Feb 17, 2019
It's bad enough that employers exploit their employees and steal their labor and on top of that they hurl all that abuse at them. Fuck them. Let's already get rid of that damn dysfunctional system. Power to all workers.

Oct 28, 2017
Weak response, they had an opportunity to take swift action and apologize. Looks like this industry still has a lot of work to do. Turning a blind eye to sexual abuse and harassment is so low.

Ryutaryi

Oct 25, 2017
Despicable. Years ago I wanted to work for them since I'm a fan of their work, but reading those stories makes me glad I never stepped foot into the industry. Hoping changes can take place there but judging from their response there may be no such thing.

Kill3r7

Oct 25, 2017
It's basically like, anywhere you find men

I think time will show that women behave much the same. Maybe there will be less sexual assault claims but bullying is just as prevalent. I will try to stay away from anecdotal evidence as that doesn't lead to meaningful discussion. I think the process by which people get to rise to such positions of power promotes the sort of underlying habits that lead to negative results.

Deleted member 46489

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 7, 2018
The unfortunate truth is that such a response could be construed as conceding wrongdoing and therefore liability. That's the society we live in.
The society we live in is a result of the words and actions of the people of the society. It isn't some plant that arises out of the earth of its own accord. And they ARE liable. There WAS wrongdoing.

For example, if Harvey Weinstein is accused of being a predator, of course he'll defend himself. Because he's a piece of shit. But why should WE be giving excuses for his response to the accusations?

The words of Insomniac here show the kind of company it is, and the kind of people who run it. I want nothing to do with them. Why's that a problem for anyone else in this thread? I didn't tell YOU what to do. I just said what I was gonna do. You are free to make your own decisions and judgments about the company.

NoUse4AName

Banned
Feb 5, 2019
this shit is happening at too many companies in too many industries

the fuck

This happens in all companies the problem is that not all Industries have the same level of atention from public that the entertainment industry has.

4 years I has been living in the USA I really love this place but to be honest every single place that I have worked has this kind or problem against Women or against non white people.

No_Style

Oct 26, 2017
Ottawa, Canada

DSoup

Oct 28, 2017
London
I hope any other victims keep telling their stories, it's important for everyone to hear them. Especially since there is likely many more voiceless stories that won't be told as well.

Completely. The types of people who are doing this should be scared and I really hope they are. They deserve to lose everything. I hope every person who has done something like this in this industry is ridden with angst about whether or not they will be outed at an moment.

Owlet

Owl Enthusiast
Verified
May 30, 2018
London, UK
Hopefully everything coming to light brings forth some meaningful change.

I'm glad people are finding the courage to speak out.

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think time will show that women behave much the same. Maybe there will be less sexual assault claims but bullying is just as prevalent. I will try to stay away from anecdotal evidence as that doesn't lead to meaningful discussion. I think the process by which people get to rise to such positions of power promotes the sort of underlying habits that lead to negative results.
Man, i disagree with "time will show that women behave much the same as men"

so far time has definitely not shown that.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
This is not a defense of anything, I'm just posting their response.

They should have stopped at tweet 1/2. I can understand they can't discuss specifics about a sensitive case on a public platform. But at least it's being escalated.

But 2/2 is utterly irrelevant to the issue at hand here. Basically, 'Oh, while you're reading this, let us remind you how great we are at these other issues'.

elzeus

Oct 30, 2017
They should have stopped at the first tweet.
Agreed, they just dug a deeper hole for themselves. Maybe Insomniac should postpone their active development until things can be investigated and real diversity protocols can be implemented or possibly even restructured so things like this have a lesser chance of happening again.

Instant Vintage

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 25, 2017
I definitely would've stopped at the first tweet and taken some time to reflect and show empathy to Sol and anyone else who work(s or ed) at Insomniac.

Also, Human Resources should be changed to Company Resources. HR is not for the employees at ALL. HR is LITERALLY for the company, to ensure that they can continue to make money without issues from any employees. If they can sweep it under the rug, you best believe they've already done it. HR is NOT your protector. They will do anything to avoid losing the company money. ANYTHING. That piece of shit working for HR is disgusting.

I really hope that everyone that was mistreated can get the help they need and deserve.

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
At this point, I am beginning to think that there is not one single well known large gaming company where stuff like this has not happened. Rather it is a matter of time before the rot in each company is revealed and it is now being exposed thick and fast.

I am glad they spoke up and even more relieved that others are backing them up now. Insomniac is one of my most cherished development houses and this is utterly infuriating and saddening.

This is boilerplate stuff meant to CYA. I do hope that there is a better one in the near future with an outline on how or what steps they will take to effect change that directly address the issues being raised by one and corroborated by multiple employees/ex-employees.

Deleted member 46489

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 7, 2018
Get over yourself. I'm not going to apologize for having the basest level of perspective that obviously realizes a boiler plate, by-the-numbers statement like this, from a fucking corporation, means practically nothing even IF they did put an apology in there. Don't ever judge someone else for how they use their "words" when all the wrath in your response was about the statement and not the actual crimes committed.
Oh no, I'm not judging you. I was judging the corporation for lacking any empathy or sense of remorse. Or promising to do the right thing. You quoted me and engaged me into a discussion, and came in on your high horse about the "poor soul who runs the twitter account of Insomniac." As if this statement could have been posted without the involvement of the highest leadership.

I said that I was going to boycott Insomniac in my original statement. Didn't tell YOU what to do. Why are you so concerned with MY actions?

EDIT: And shame on you for accusing me of whatever the fuck you're accusing me of by "Don't ever judge someone else for how they use their "words" when all the wrath in your response was about the statement and not the actual crimes committed.". I have plenty of wrath for the actual crimes committed. That's the entire reason the response pissed me off. How about you look into your own soul and what you are defending.

Landford

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They should have stopped at tweet 1/2. I can understand they can't discuss specifics about a sensitive case on a public platform. But at least it's being escalated.

But 2/2 is utterly irrelevant to the issue at hand here. Basically, 'Oh, while you're reading this, let us remind you how great we are at these other issues'.
Its not even "at other issues." They are saying "we couldnt possible be like that, so shes lying."

Mathieran

Oct 25, 2017
Starting to feel like the whole industry is rotten. Although in reality it's probably the whole world

Kill3r7

Oct 25, 2017
Man, i disagree with "time will show that women behave much the same as men"

so far time has definitely not shown that.

I am not going down this rabbit hole. We agree to disagree. My position is that people in positions of power are not immune to terrible behavior because of their sex/gender.

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017
Ratchet & Clank's sub titles...
Going Commando
Up your Arsenal
Quest for Booty
...and Insomniac getting voted best place to work suddenly makes it seem like some boys club.

Otnopolit

Oct 28, 2017
Well these are just the first tweets. But you honestly won't get them stating that they fired someone publicly. That would open them up to lawsuits.

Hopefully these are just the first tweets. I don't think I will either, I agree, but that's not what I suggested either.

I'm more interested in what they are going to do moving forward and how they will better respond to these allegations, because I don't want to financially support a company that lets this happen and does nothing meaningful to prevent it in the future. They should have cleaned their act up without there needing to have whistles blown, but now they have to do it with an ugly spotlight instead. Well deserved. Women deserve better.

Oct 25, 2017
I don't know what anyone expected in regards to a tweet. This is a standard response and you'll see more of it from other companies. Any public statement is going to be boilerplate.

Don't hold your hopes in them putting out a statement you'll approve of. Because legally they most likely can't

KingK

Oct 27, 2017
Disgusting. I really hope some major reforms and management shake-ups result from this, but ultimately, we need more laws passed regarding this stuff, and more Unions in every industry.

The gaming industry is just toxic, they need to clamp down on this kind of stuff and crunch culture. Ppl should be made to feel safe and they also shouldn't have their personal lives destroyed while making video games.
It's not just gaming, it's practically every single industry. In my experience, the "crunch culture" is ubiquitous in damn near every "professional"/salary job.

I've just got a boring, exempt status salary job in a government office, meaning I only get paid for 40 hours regardless of how much I work. Management says you don't have to work over 40 hours if you don't want to, but everyone in the office regularly works 10-12 hour days, and sometimes weekends, and you pretty much have to do that to meet the deadlines. 40 hour work weeks just don't seem to exist anymore unless you get paid an hourly rate. It's fucking awful. It feels like we've been regressing on workers' rights as a society for 40 years now.

As a white guy, I can't speak as much to the harassment/discrimination issues personally, but my girlfriend has some real horror stories from her past jobs. ESPECIALLY the restaurant industry while she was a server. Some of the shit I've heard made me want to burn these restaurants to the ground.

This shit just seems so pervasive in nearly all aspects of society.

thepenguin55

Oct 28, 2017
This sounds bad and the response is bad. Didn't Naughty Dog try to hand wave away some pretty serious allegations a while back too?

Angie

Best Avatar Thread Ever!
Nov 20, 2017
Kingdom of Corona
You know the worst part? Is that in a week very few will care.
And women will be continued to be treated like trash from this industry.

Is increasing hard for me to enjoy a hobby when you know the people behind it are trash.
And not just the people behind it, the fanbase too. That continue to use my gender as an insult and to discredit us.