• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
OP
OP
XaviConcept

XaviConcept

Art Director for Videogames
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I think its unreasonable to expect big companies to be completely free of assholes (percentage wise, its highly improbable) but we need to do better when people come out and outline a clear pattern of behavior. Insomniac has a chance to make amends here and improve their culture.

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
Fuuuucckk I did not expect this as Insomniac gets the reward for the best workplace quite often.

Clearly such things don't mean much.

Of course they don't, you nominate yourself and if you win you use it for PR.
I've worked for companies who have been on the top 100 lists, we literally got a presentation about a our benefits and how great everything was , before we were 15 minutes off and encouraged to vote...

srtrestre

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
WTF Insomniac

All those double entendre titles are going to make uncomfortable now (e.g. Full Frontal Assault, Tools of Destruction, etc.)

Absolute

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
I think its unreasonable to expect big companies to be completely free of assholes (percentage wise, its highly improbable) but we need to do better when people come out and outline a clear pattern of behavior. Insomniac has a chance to make amends here and improve their culture.

How do you "make amends" to someone who went through that exactly?

Deleted member 10747

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sony it's time to step up and hunt those fuckers down and fire them and make clear to all the people working there that this is not how to threat people and that you don't stand for that! Fuck the people who did this. Also make sure to go through every inch of the company including the top.

Zukkoyaki

Oct 25, 2017
Great on her for speaking up! It's awful that so many people suffer everyday. This shit needs to be rooted and stamped out.

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
I just don't understand ther audacity of these fuckers to be pulling this shit at work. I keep things so much business people get upset with me. But I refuse to get remotely close to co-workers and you see how Mfers act when they feel comfortable around people, it's so messed up people have to deal with shit like this.

data

Oct 25, 2017
Things happen when these statements come out as opposed to before they come out. That's how this disgusting cycle works.
I can only hope that there will be. This cycle needs to end, this needs to be rooted out.

If Insomniac was willing to protect several of the ones pointed out in the OP, I wouldn't be surprised if there were more that she is unaware of.

They didn't (publicly) do so at Naughty Dog, that I'm aware of at least, so don't expect much from Sony.
Ah shit, you reminded me of the sexual harassment case at Naughty Dog. Now that I think about it, I don't think there was ever an update, but hopefully, it was dealt with just not publicly. But who am I kidding...

Oct 29, 2017
I honestly expect this happens / has happened at every studio

Ditto. Unless Insomniac has touted some magical hiring practices that weed out sexual predators, they're no better than any other developer. Expecting better from them is setting oneself up for disappointment. Male game developers are descending to "American police officer" levels of trustworthiness.

OP
OP
XaviConcept

XaviConcept

Art Director for Videogames
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
How do you "make amends" to someone who went through that exactly?

To that person? You cant, not really.

I meant to make changes to their policies, actually get rid of the remaining individual, take clear action when employees move froward and actually promote women within your company. It seems like the employee wasn't promoted for 4 years at the studio, thats fucked up. Make the changes you need so women can actually succeed in your company and its a safe and secure environment for your employees.

Divvy

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017

One huge issue is how utterly useless HR departments have been to the victims. Not only are they really just there to protect the company, but having worked in an adjacent industry, a lot of HR are friends or family with the rest of the company. There's a massive conflict of interest when they are told to investigate or take action against their friends or family.

HustleBun

Nov 12, 2017
Insomniac has no real option here but to take responsibility, not just with a statement but with action.

It's quite telling to read the comments which are mostly industry professionals who know or have worked with Sol, that either verify their claims or believe them without question because this type of treatment toward women is still so prominent.

The outpouring of support in the responses, both from people who want to work with Sol again or from people offering to their friendship, is really nice to see.

Greywaren

Jul 16, 2019
Spain
This is awful. Hopefully they do something to change the situation there. It's disgusting to see so many talented women in this industry (and everywhere else, of course) being held back and abused just because they are women.

Bear

Oct 25, 2017
I agree with you but it's every industry. This one is just coming to more light now. It's not the industry. It's men.
Yes but there are definitely industries that attract this kind of behavior. Gaming/entertainment seems to be one of them where it's a significant systemic issue (alongside advertising/marketing and others).

Oct 27, 2017
I had always heard that Insomniac was a great place to work, but needless to say that's clearly not the case here. Very disappointing. The industry needs sweeping change.

Party

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Dec 3, 2018
YOU WERE ONE OF THE GOOD ONES INSOMNIAC. Sigh. It's a bummer to hear especially after they seemed to be the only triple AAA studio that had figured out how to not crunch. This is a massive bummer.

gogosox82

Oct 25, 2017
Very sad and dissappointing to read this. Especially coming from Insomniac. I always thought they were one of the better places to work at.

Landford

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
HR is there to treat humans as resources. Its in the name.

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
Hopefully Insomniac gets to the bottom of this and ejects the people responsible. No place for assholes like this HR guy in ANY industry

data

Oct 25, 2017
Hopefully Insomniac gets to the bottom of this and ejects the people responsible. No place for assholes like this HR guy in ANY industry
I doubt they will do anything (they are already doing nothing) and that's not even the bare minimum. There needs to be policies put into place to stop these situations again where people are still afraid to come out.

pixelpatron

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Seattle
Ugh, this is horrible to see how toxic this industry is. Horrible.
There are good studios, hard to find...but good ones that treat employees respectfully, never crunch, offer great benefits and profit sharing. Are you working on AAA game informer stuff?! Probably not, but my work/life balance is way better than it used to be working at AAA studios. Don't miss it one bit. Plus the work I do now is way more rewarding, fun, and creative.

Deleted member 10847

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This is an widespread issue unfortunately, not limited to MS, Sony, it happens in almost every big company.

Something must be done urgently to address this issue as an whole.

RdN

Oct 31, 2017
This isn't at all surprising, but still is deeply disappointing. Hopefully Insomaniac managers will step up now that it has come into the public's eye.

Arion

Oct 26, 2017
I am glad these stories are coming out and I hope real change comes from this. Women deserve better than this.

Deleted member 14089

Oct 27, 2017
Of course they don't, you nominate yourself and if you win you use it for PR.
I've worked for companies who have been on the top 100 lists, we literally got a presentation about a our benefits and how great everything was , before we were 15 minutes off and encouraged to vote...

Yeah I've seen such presentation too, always had a major side-eye towards it, but I just kinda imagined that, because I'm subscribed to their youtube channel and they hearing the loft of praises made me reinforce that idea of having a great workplace.
In the end, it's always a facade.

Damn, should probably expect this everywhere. The exceptions are where it's not happening.

It is the best place to work, for white cis males.

yup holds true for every company.....

These never mean anything. There's only so much information they can gather (through their crappy questionairres) . There can be so much going on in the dark.

:(, I can just skip their games but these workers coming out can potentially be blacklisted. That's messed up