• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 49166

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Oct 30, 2018
It's absolute bullshit. The games you bought are yours. They should remove the stolen credit card games and that's it.

So let's assume OP did the downloads himself, using a CC which he then claimed stolen. He could have played those games now for month for free.The ban doesn't prevent you from playing the games.

For me the compromise should be that OP pays the games to get his account back.

I don't know Nintendo's practice here, but OP doesn't need the kid or his mother to talk to Nintendo.

Deleted member 42472

User requested account closure
Banned
Apr 21, 2018

Just as a general comment: While many people in this thread have gave you stuff that could charitably be called advice, please refrain from committing fraud. Your odds of getting your account back after a warning and lots of talking to CS is about the same as accusing your brother's ex of robbing you (or suing her or whatever the fuck) and has the added bonus of not being illegal.

Apr 21, 2018
So let's assume OP did the downloads himself, using a CC which he then claimed stolen. He could have played those games now for month for free.The ban doesn't prevent you from playing the games.

I don't know Nintendo's practice here, but OP doesn't need the kid or his mother to talk to Nintendo.

That's not a bad compromise, it just seems blasphemous that someone can buy 10 legit games, and Nintendo has the power to take them away if they do something bad with game 11. They still paid for the first 10 games.

Oct 27, 2017
I guess just keep calling CS and trying to get on them about it. Try explaining clearly what happened, that you just want the games purchased by the stolen CC to be removed, and keep going at it

Unfortunately I don't expect this to work. Anti-fraud policies would be ineffective if individual customer service employees could be talked into lifting them.

The people you speak to won't have the power to make those decisions, and that is by Nintendo's design.

Deleted member 49166

Banned
Oct 30, 2018
That's not a bad compromise, it just seems blasphemous that someone can buy 10 legit games, and Nintendo has the power to take them away if they do something bad with game 11. They still paid for the first 10 games.

They can't take the games away!
That's the point. They can only block him from downloading them again, but they will stay on the system.

Oct 27, 2017

You can't really give someone a strike for using a stolen credit card. I understand that OP didn't actually use the card in question, but Nintendo doesn't have any reasonable way to determine that do they?

Martin

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
can't you ask them to pay the games with your credit card or PayPal? Sucks to have games you don't want, but if it works it is better than having it lost forever.

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
This is always the big issue with all digital. A low chance to happen to most, but it's still there. Never understood why there aren't "options" to these things such as paying for the games or something else.

This is with all platforms. I've never liked how it often goes "one strike and you're out"

ApeEscaper

Oct 27, 2017
Bangladeshi
Iirc Nintendo Switch has an option to input password each time you enter the eShop, i use it it's annoying but good relief eh added protection

Nintendo should do what PS4 does where you can still enter eShop but only asks for password when purchasing, not when trying to enter eShop

Deleted member 42472

User requested account closure
Banned
Apr 21, 2018

The inevitable outcome would be people burning through their however many strikes with a chain of stolen CCs

And considering that a lot of these cases involve using the stolen CC to buy virtual currency in some game and then somehow turn that into money (I really don't understand how that works), it would be abused like hell

It really sucks for an alleged victim of trusting the wrong person. But this is also kind of WHY everyone says to not share your logins

Professor Beef

Official ResetEra™ Chao Puncher
Oct 25, 2017
The Digital World
This is always the big issue with all digital. A low chance to happen to most, but it's still there. Never understood why there aren't "options" to these things such as paying for the games or something else.

This is with all platforms. I've never liked how it often goes "one strike and you're out"
I don't really vibe with the idea of giving multiple chances for theft/fraud

AllMight1

Oct 27, 2017
I just wanted to vent on all of this, tbh. I don't think there's anything I can do realistically speaking. I know it was wrong to share an account but it is what it is. Lawyering up won't get me my account back tbh and I don't know if want to. I'm fully digital on all my platforms and this won't change that. It will change the things I do with my account in the future tho. Also I doubt I'll get any Nintendo platforms in the future.

you're just heartbroken about the whole situation, but you'll shape up eventually and even go back to playing Nintendo games. Just stop thinking about this altogether, is the healthy way to go.

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
I don't really vibe with the idea of giving multiple chances for theft/fraud

No one case is the same as we're seeing here, so I think it's unfair to just kinda sweep it all with one process.
I get it's their service/system so at the end of the day it's up to them. But I think there should be some form of appeal as not everyone will notice stolen content on their account. To me, it'd be like if your account got hacked from someone doing Fifa stuff and then YOU get banned for it. It's just kind of shitty all around.

OP
OP
Terror-Billy

Terror-Billy

Chicken Chaser
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I would happily pay for the games if it means I can get my account back, but that's not how security works, so I totally understand being locked out of it. I don't share blocking the account without previous, more in depth investigation but what's done it's done. My brother's ex won't collaborate so that's not a choice at all.

you're just heartbroken about the whole situation, but you'll shape up eventually and even go back to playing Nintendo games. Just stop thinking about this altogether, is the healthy way to go.
Probably in the future I will come back to them, especially if they release a more powerful version of the Switch. On the short term and even when I know it's my fault and there's no way back to it, I don't think I'll get a Nintendo platform.

Haint

Banned
Oct 14, 2018
User Warned: Hostility
Just deserts for buying digital, dug your grave now lie in it. I have no empathy whatsoever for people who buy anything but online only games digitally, it's like you believe the 10's thousands of posts criticizing the trend/practice over the years were some flat earther conspiracy. Reap the rewards of that "convenience".

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
No one case is the same as we're seeing here, so I think it's unfair to just kinda sweep it all with one process.
I get it's their service/system so at the end of the day it's up to them. But I think there should be some form of appeal as not everyone will notice stolen content on their account. To me, it'd be like if your account got hacked from someone doing Fifa stuff and then YOU get banned for it. It's just kind of shitty all around.

But the OP didn't get hacked, they freely gave their account credentials to someone else. If someone's FIFA account was good and truly "hacked," in the sense that the attacker bypassed EA's security controls to gain unauthorized access to the account, then it stands to reason that the customer could not be at fault since they could not have done anything to prevent it. In that case as well one would hope that EA would be able to detect the attack and have proof that the action was not authorized by the customer.

This is different from a situation where the customer's account password was phished, or credential stuffing was used to access their account because they kept the same password for multiple accounts. In those cases, there is no breach for EA to detect. From their perspective they cannot tell the difference between actions the (alleged) attacker took, and actions the customer took (and has possibly come to regret).

Mrflood

Oct 25, 2017
Why not call back and fight harder? (Or use Twitter, etc) You are clearly willing to compermise, including paying for the games directly. You seem to be giving up WAY to early on this. It might take days/weeks, but with persistance, i bet you could get your account back.

GuEiMiRrIRoW

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
A long time ago, my brother started dating someone who had a child. My parents loved that kid so much that they bought him a Switch. I put my account on his Switch because I wanted him to play some games. Let's move forward a year after and my brother and her now ex-gf broke up. I forgot my account was on the kid's Switch so I never bothered with it.

A couple months ago, I started to see some new games appearing on my account. I got scared that my account was hacked so I changed the password. I checked the details and it seems that someone bought them with a different credit card because I never got charged on my card.

Last week, my account got banned. I asked Nintendo and they said that my account made purchases with a stolen credit card. I immediately assumed that it was my brother's ex because I would never risk my account like that.

Well, at this point I'm pretty heartbroken because I've been wanting to play Animal Crossing since forever. I lost so many stuff that I think the best thing to do is to sell my Switch and forget about the whole thing. Nintendo gave me a call and told me I had to prove the credit card was mine, which is probably never gonna happen as my brother and her ex ended up on really bad terms and don't talk to each other anymore.

Yu should really try to talk to her. Your loss has nothing to do with it. Really, talk to her.

Deleted member 49166

Banned
Oct 30, 2018
She has me and my family blocked from both social networks and her phone number. There's no way for me to communicate with that person, and I know the answer already tbf.

Again,you don't need her.
Nintendo doesn't care for your story.
They only see that your account has bought games wit a CC that was claimed being stolen.
They didn't get the money for these games, hence the ban.

It's the same for people using PayPal and getting a ban when Paypal withdraw the payment after the purchase.

F34R

Oct 27, 2017
Shouldn't OP still be able to play the games he already has on the Switch?

dom

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Contact Nintendo and find out the exact reason. Could even go as far as saying the games were bought with the wrong CC and you'd like to charge your actual one. Maybe they will free the account after paying for the items that were chargebacked?

City 17

Oct 25, 2017
Shouldn't OP still be able to play the games he already has on the Switch?
He should, that's what Steam does.

But apparently that's not the case on none of the consoles... Didn't know that despite being all digital on all platforms. I'd be more wary from now on! Losing access to a library worth over +1000$ over 1-2 games is not right.

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
If the ex girlfriend does not cooperate, simply send her a formal notice by recommended letter, telling her to do X or else you'll see her in court. That should be enough to scare her into complying. No need to get lawyers involved. If she still doesn't cooperate after that, then you can get a new Switch and a new account.

F34R

Oct 27, 2017
Here's a post about banned account for chargebacks, and account was restored after those games were removed by Nintendo.
UPDATE #2:

Called Nintendo of America Tech Support. They sent me to the supervisor almost right away. She was very nice and professional. We got down to the root of the cause which was.... chargebacks.

Not super sure how or why. I have previous e shop purchases through the same card with no problems. My bank didn't inform me of anything.

The supervisor did say they would lift the ban and anything that was charged back would be removed. Which is fine! But she did say if it happened again they wouldn't be able to remove the ban so I should talk with my bank. It seems a bit harsh but I guess that is how they stop people from abusing the system.

Deleted member 49166

Banned
Oct 30, 2018
If the ex girlfriend does not cooperate, simply send her a formal notice by recommended letter, telling her to do X or else you'll see her in court. That should be enough to scare her into complying. No need to get lawyers involved. If she still doesn't cooperate after that, then you can get a new Switch and a new account.

He doesn't need her to fix it.
Nintendo didn't get the money for the games.
He needs to call them and explain and pay for the games, or get them removed.Done.

As given with the Reddit example:

UPDATE #2:

Called Nintendo of America Tech Support. They sent me to the supervisor almost right away. She was very nice and professional. We got down to the root of the cause which was.... chargebacks.

Not super sure how or why. I have previous e shop purchases through the same card with no problems. My bank didn't inform me of anything.

The supervisor did say they would lift the ban and anything that was charged back would be removed. Which is fine! But she did say if it happened again they wouldn't be able to remove the ban so I should talk with my bank. It seems a bit harsh but I guess that is how they stop people from abusing the system.

Hence OP was confusing Nintendo when he called them, or they confused him.

No need to involve the ex GF, but still it would be nice to tell the kid what's wrong with his Switch (he also doesn't have access to the EShop since OP didn't make it clear to him)

Last edited:

Deleted member 49166

Banned
Oct 30, 2018
He should, that's what Steam does.

But apparently that's not the case on none of the consoles... Didn't know that despite being all digital on all platforms. I'd be more wary from now on! Losing access to a library worth over +1000$ over 1-2 games is not right.

He still has his games on his Switch.
But he cannot get them again via the EShop.

City 17

Oct 25, 2017
He still has his games on his Switch.
But he cannot get them again via the EShop.
That's a bit better but still, he can't use his account on other Switches, right? What if he wanted to change his system? He's got the Lite, so if he gets drifting JoyCons he'd be in quite a pickle. Or if his microSD card gets borked, he's done, needs backups ASAP.

Dracon

Oct 27, 2017
Could you ask them to remove the games purchased with the cc? Once my Wii u was banned because I purchased a code from a suspicious site and so I asked them to remove the game because of the code I purchased

kIdMuScLe

Oct 27, 2017
Los angeles
Wouldn't it be better to notify Nintendo as soon as you noticed the unauthorized purchases on your account that someone was doing that? I think they would've just blocked those games and not your account

Deleted member 49166

Banned
Oct 30, 2018
It all boils down OP needs to call Nintendo again either:

1) Paying for the games (where the payment was withdrawn due to the stolen CC claim by the exGF)
2) Getting the games withdrawn from the account

Both should de-ban the account as given in the examples in the thread.

@OP: Don't confuse Nintendo with the whole story again.

Oct 31, 2017
Just deserts for buying digital, dug your grave now lie in it. I have no empathy whatsoever for people who buy anything but online only games digitally, it's like you believe the 10's thousands of posts criticizing the trend/practice over the years were some flat earther conspiracy. Reap the rewards of that "convenience".

Yeah right. It's better to pollute the planet with useless trash just so you can have a box of plastic on your shelf collecting dust. Good job, buddy.

Ckoerner

Aug 7, 2019
It all boils down OP needs to call Nintendo again either:

1) Paying for the games (where the payment was withdrawn due to the stolen CC claim by the exGF)
2) Getting the games withdrawn from the account

Both should de-ban the account as given in the examples in the thread.

@OP: Don't confuse Nintendo with the whole story again.

I agree here OP. What's the worst that could happen if you call Nintendo and explain the situation and what you're willing to do (pay for games or ask for games to be removed)?
I know I get anxious thinking about confrontation, but trust me it's with the try!