• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Serif

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017

I did tear up on one of my viewings of this, the music and Murphy's 'camera' going back and forth between his memories and what's in front of him works so well. Weird because I'm very much 'ACAB' but I'm a sucker for sci-fi exploring the idea of reincarnation and memories. I'm conflicted because the film definitely glorifies police violence in some scenes, but also has an anti-capitalist and anti-corruption message, and its emotional core is mainly the story of one man's revenge rather than his role as a policeman.

Awesome Kev

Banned
Jan 10, 2018

Always and forever gives me a throat lump...

i usually cringe at the "only 90's kids will understand" shit. but man, this is exactly that. hit me hard af when i watched hook as an adult after not having seen it since i was a kid. i literally had to stop the movie i was crying so hard.

for my pick, i have a couple...

chuck leaving the island is very symbolic in journey to sobriety. leaving behind drinking was the most difficult thing i've ever done. once i finally did i looked back, relieved, but also terrified, and even a bit sad. drugs and alcohol was what gave me comfort in my darkest times. it felt like leaving a friend who i loved but knew was terrible for my health. kind of weird to explain that... but i dunno, it was just so hard. i still think about going back to that life now, but i know it would destroy me.

"Life is a storm, my young friend."

BebopCola

Jul 17, 2019
A lot of great choices that I would have selected.

One recent scene that always gets me is:

You have Rocky living in the past, talking to two headstones because he is basically all alone in the world. This is an aging, lonely, broken down ex-fighter who suddenly realizes, while talking to his deceased family, that his best friend's son has given him a new lease on life, a future. It's a simple scene on the surface that has great depth. The movie is filled with moments like that. It's a great performance by Stallone and it always gets to me.

The intro to Rocky Balboa where it is just him and Pauly visiting all the places from Rocky 1 where Rocky and Adrian used to go fucking ruins me.

Oct 28, 2017
A lot of great choices that I would have selected.

One recent scene that always gets me is:

You have Rocky living in the past, talking to two headstones because he is basically all alone in the world. This is an aging, lonely, broken down ex-fighter who suddenly realizes, while talking to his deceased family, that his best friend's son has given him a new lease on life, a future. It's a simple scene on the surface that has great depth. The movie is filled with moments like that. It's a great performance by Stallone and it always gets to me.

Great pick. Something about the Rocky character that always gets me

Awesome Kev

Banned
Jan 10, 2018
Ending of Schidnler's List

Hachi 'Waiting' Scene.

I cried like a motherfucker watching this. I was a mess. It had been years since I cried like that.

Any other film that gave you a similar reaction?

The ending scene in the train yard at the end of Schindler's List.

Perfection.

i actually made all the way to the end credits. teared up a bit but didn't break down.

and then i realized they were the real survivors. the people that the actors were portraying visiting his grave. i sobbed like a baby.

shamanick

Oct 29, 2017
Not a movie, but I sob like a baby when I watch the last scene of Six Feet Under. I can probably cry on command just thinking about it.

Namea

Dec 2, 2017
The ending scene of Edward Scissorhands. The song alone is enough to make me fall apart.

Last edited:

Aurongel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I cried like a motherfucker watching this. I was a mess. It had been years since I cried like that.

Any other film that gave you a similar reaction?
The thing that gets me the most about that scene in Schindler's List is how Schindler himself is an incredibly flawed character and is shown to be both unfaithful and greedy several times throughout the story. But despite his many imperfections, he's still capable of making a massive difference in the lives of the people he might have otherwise viewed as a means to an end for his business. He didn't make a difference because he was some devout savior character, he made a difference because he was an average flawed who guy who still understood the value of a human life in the face of great inhumanity. Him breaking down under the weight of his (perceived) flaws with that line "Just one more, one more person" gets me like nothing else in film or literature.

The only other films that approach that for me are the beach scene in Roma and the ending scene in the car with Haley Joel Osment and Toni Colette at the end of the Sixth Sense. The latter one especially is touching because of how the mother and son both reach this mutual understanding of one another by using the supernatural powers that had driven them apart for 90% of the film.

i actually made all the way to the end credits. teared up a bit but didn't break down.

and then i realized they were the real survivors. the people that the actors were portraying visiting his grave. i sobbed like a baby.

My girlfriend was the same way when we watched it, I'm not entirely sure that she knew ahead of time that it was based on actual events with descendants who were still alive in 1992 when that was filmed. She said it was the moment where the actual true scope of what Schindler had done clicked for her. For me it's the trainyard scene with the ring and him breaking down with the guilt of not saving just one more person.

Cat Party

Oct 25, 2017

this one is complex, but always pulls my heart strings.

Goddamn I forgot about this one...

Here's my contribution:

giphy.gif

The Shape

Nov 7, 2017
Brazil
The thing that gets me the most about that scene in Schindler's List is how Schindler himself is an incredibly flawed character and is shown to be both unfaithful and greedy several times throughout the story. But despite his many imperfections, he's still capable of making a massive difference in the lives of the people he might have otherwise viewed as a means to an end for his business. He didn't make a difference because he was some devout savior character, he made a difference because he was an average flawed who guy who still understood the value of a human life in the face of great inhumanity. Him breaking down under the weight of his (perceived) flaws with that line "Just one more, one more person" gets me like nothing else in film or literature.

My God. When he started counting the people he could have saved with the few possessions he still had, I thought I was gonna pass out. That is a really sad movie. I think the saddest I've ever watched.

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Every single time the clouds part:

Also when Carol starts howling:

Apr 19, 2018
How To Train Your Dragon 2

Wrecks me every single time. :'( The preceding scene when Toothless does the deed is also emotionally draining.

Professor Beef

Official ResetEra™ Chao Puncher
Oct 25, 2017
The Digital World
The ending of Mrs. Doubtfire, where she responds to the child's letter about her parents:

What the child writes about "losing my family" and asking about what she can do to get her parents back together, it hits hard. It's something that most kids of divorced parents ask themselves often, myself included. Doubtfire's reply in that "just because they don't love each anymore doesn't mean that they don't love you" is something that, despite knowing that's the truth, is something that is truly needed to be heard when you're confused and even blaming yourself. It's a powerful scene for me to this day, and no matter what I always get choked up when I hear that speech.

As an aside, I'm truly grateful that Sally Field and Robin Williams apparently put their feet down and changed the ending, because apparently it was planned for the two characters to get back together and they didn't want to give false hope to children of divorced parents.

Last edited:

Dr. Zoidberg

Oct 25, 2017
Decapod 10
I'd have to say the beginning of UP. It just destroys me. I try not to cry in the theater. I'm pretty good at not visibly reacting but oftentimes I can't control my tear ducts and I have to whip out the old handkerchief to mop up. Overall I think that movie is a disappointment because the 2nd half (everything after the house touches down, the goofy bird, etc.) just isn't as strong as the first part, IMO.

I've never seen it, but I'm surprised nobody's mentioned "Grave of the Fireflies" yet. That used to be real popular on the old board.

I'm also going to cheat and say that the end of "Jurassic Bark" makes me cry every time, even though it's not a movie.

Xythantiops

Oct 27, 2017
What's Eating Gilbert Grape

They decide to burn their house down rather then having their mother continue to be a town spectacle by lifting their dead obese mother out of the house with a crane.

Mona

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
not to many movies make me cry really

but the ending of Inside Out got to me and probably would every time

also i was watching Amistad recently and the slave part had me tearing up

verygooster

Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
Recently I revisited Your Name and each time I've seen the movie I can't not start tearing up when Taki and Mitsuha finally meet and "Sparkle" starts playing to kick off the final act.

MrCheezball

Banned
Aug 3, 2018
The ending of Mrs. Doubtfire, where she responds to the child's letter about her parents:

What the child writes about "losing my family" and asking about what she can do to get her parents back together, it hits hard. It's something that most kids of divorced parents ask themselves often, myself included. Doubtfire's reply in that "just because they don't love each anymore doesn't mean that they don't love you" is something that, despite knowing that's the truth, is something that is truly needed to be heard when you're confused and even blaming yourself. It's a powerful scene for me to this day, and no matter what I always get choked up when I hear that speech.

As an aside, I'm truly grateful that Sally Field and Robin Williams apparently put their feet down and changed the ending, because apparently it was planned for the two characters to get back together and they didn't want to give false hope to children of divorced parents.

I really miss Robin William's. More than any celebrity we've lost. Something about his performances really touched me.

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017

yes, this is a great scene.

Kaswa101

Oct 28, 2017
Interstellar messages scene, LOTR ending, and Coco ending for sure.

Oh also the ending to Green Mile broke me recently :(

Deleted member 13015

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Toy Story 3 ending
Spirited Away ending, especially when the piano theme starts playing.
Coco's ending

Its all cartoons that get me, real life films/tv shows never get me to cry.

Deleted member 203

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's strange, I cry *super* easily at movies and tv but for some reason I'm having trouble coming up with a lot of examples here.

Definitely "you bow to no one" from ROTK

The ending of Your Name / Kimi no Na Wa

I cried in the theater in Endgame (so did a LOT of people).

I'm sure there are more, but I can't think of too many examples.

Artdayne

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
A number of scenes, I think Matthew McConaughey's performance at the end of True Detective gets me pretty emotional because it's acted so well, same with Interstallar's video scene for that matter. I also tend to get quite emotional to acts of extreme self sacrifice, so Gandalf sacrificing himself for the Fellowship to the Balrog, followed by an incredibly somber tune was very emotional.

FantaSoda

Oct 28, 2017
Friday Night Lights "The Agony of Defeat" is the first one I always think of. The part that always gets me is the culmination of the relationship between Don Billingsly and his father. These kids are high school football players in a Texas town that worships football. Don is a kid trying to succeed as the team's fullback but trapped in the shadow of his alcoholic and abusive father (played masterfully by Tim McGraw of all people), who once was a legend on the team many years ago.

One of the most heart wrenching scenes is a practice where his father shows up drunk and makes a giant fool of himself. He takes his own championship ring and pushes it in his son's face, shouting at him that he will never be a champion and will never have this.

Despite losing their star player Boogie Miles to injury, the team makes the playoffs and through pain and doubt and struggle make it to the championship game. The team they are playing in the championship game is too big, too fast and completely overwhelm them. In the second half, our protagonists dig in deep, come back big and are on the verge of pulling off the impossible with time running out. If they can score a touchdown on the last play, they pull off the upset and cast out every doubter and demon plaguing everyone on the team. Don gets the ball on the final play, makes incredible moves to get free and gets to the goal line.....

....only to be stopped one yard short. In a stunning reversal of expectations the movie ends with the heroes losing. Don sits kneeling at the one yard line weeping. He makes his way off the field and his father, who has been just such an asshole through the whole movie stops him. He holds his son face in his hands and then takes off his championship ring and puts it on his son's hand. Chills.

grang

Nov 13, 2017
It's rare for really sad stuff to get me to actually cry, but happy stuff? Damn I'm a leaky faucet. Specifically relief.

The one for me 127 Hours, can't find a video that includes the amputation but Aron making his way back to civilization set to Sigur Ros...pure cathartic perfection.

The end of 'Impossible' Starring a young Tom Holland

Captain Phillips ending scene. Never cried in a theater before.

These ones are also great examples of catharsis

Vanilla Sky is definitely one for me, excellent choice. Tom Cruise and Penelope Cruz might be the most attractive movie pairing of all time.

The Wrestler's ending

Another excellent choice. The final scene going into Springsteen's song over the credits...damn.