• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Mona

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Because outstretched hands have consistently been the visual initiator that a character is using the force, throughout the entire franchise?

Chei5KqUoAE2ZOW.jpg

latest

2019.12.05-05.36-boundingintocomics-5de94009521c3.png

6vkl2cgivxm41.jpg

elyetis

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah no, I'm not talking about people that don't like the scene. By all means don't like the scene, I'm talking about the people that want to not even entertain any sort of positive aspect of the film possibly existing, calling the film " garbage" ? Please.
Can people use "trash fire" then, or is it only okay when describing TRoS ?

Deleted member 11039

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
But then at the climax Leia gives up hope. Again this is for story reasons, Johnson wants to sideline Leia during Luke's/Kylo's confrontation. But it absolutely blows my mind that you have the most headstrong character of the original three and write her like this. Leia giving up on her son who's not even 100 meters away from her fighting an image of her brother, just why?

Yep, Leia at the end in the base is the worst part to me. In TFA she tells Han to bring her son home. At the beginning of TLJ we see a conflicted Kylo when he senses his mom on the ship and doesn't fire. And then when he's right outside the door she just hand waves it as "he's gone." And sits it out like she does the majority of the movie. It's really odd and makes her look incredibly cold.

You can argue Luke's treatment, but for the most part the handling of the legacy characters was a real low point for the ST.

Ryan.

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I also don't get the whole Mary Poppins bit. Because she was flying? Anytime I see Superman fly now I'm just going to refer it to Marypoppinsing because why not.

Svadhyaya

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
There was so little planting for it, that it just ended up being a pointless Deus Ex Machina. It felt so cheap and unnecessary.

Oct 25, 2017
It's so goofily shot and executed that you can't help but laugh at the scene.

Not to mention Leia somehow kept pace with the cruiser accelerating at full speed after being ejected lmao. By the movie's own logic she should've been a hood ornament on a FO ship.

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
There was so little planting for it, that it just ended up being a pointless Deus Ex Machina. It felt so cheap and unnecessary.

Look, I'm not going to say that it was perfect or that it was telegraphed, but the second biggest revelation in the entire series is Palpatine mentioning that Luke is not the most powerful force vessel in the Universe and that there is very much another JUST like him.

The series is chock full of wise Jedi explaining that the simplest way to the Force's apparently UNLIMITED potential is the mere act of letting go - of letting the Force pass through you - and nothing clears the mind like Bushido's acceptance of death mantra. Not only that but Leia knows as much about the Force as anyone living except Luke and (spoiler?) Palpatine.

Yoda wasn't half as capable as Luke, yet trivially lifts a couple of tons of metal out of a choking bog.

The physiological effects from space check out except for her being able to open her eyes and see.

I'll allow it.

deathsaber

Nov 2, 2017
I was fine with it. Its 100% proof positive that Leia was force trained. No issue with the powers at hand (temporary meditative state to stop need to breathe and probably feed from the force or something, plus levitation which we've seen before) The scene/framing is supposed to make it look like a wondrous moment, which it was, as we are still being reintroduced to this new older Leia. The "fandom" is just too picky and cynical these days.

pavaloo

Oct 25, 2017
damn about time we discuss this scene on here
I also don't get the whole Mary Poppins bit. Because she was flying? Anytime I see Superman fly now I'm just going to refer it to Marypoppinsing because why not.
I think it had more to do with the perspective we see her fly and the famous silhouette of Poppins
TLPpRyef39tTonFzg1ZJXgVMp0yhK-Zb4E-MKUlCd6-tlCNLwatAAkUFQQcGfQFXBoa18ItRD7WhFbUp7qWsFWZWd0biWDmK5CdA8SM3gTW3GdJVoScs5Zi4FT3pNHSDvVqZwgEh8oqhidAMf0YDg2s

Zombine

Oct 25, 2017
I do understand that fan fiction can be (and usually is) awful, but if they wanted to portray her as this force sensitive god they should have just had her stop the torpedos outright with the force, similarly to how Kylo Ben can stop pistol shots dead in place. Let it drain her and then follow the story as is.

CJSeven

Oct 30, 2018
Thought it was silly in both concept and execution. Heard some folks around me groan when it happened.

And at the same time they also unceremoniously killed off a fan favorite like Ackbar, just so they could introduce a new character… to also kill.

John Harker

Knows things...
Oct 27, 2017
Santa Destroy
I was a bit surprised by the scene - i didnt hate it, just surprised and didnt know how to feel about it, just because it felt so out of star wars character - and then I watched Rebels and saw that Kanan literally did the SAME THING years before TLJ came out.

after finishing Rebels, so much of the last two SW films seems inspired/lifted from it, it just made me feel better about everything actually in the films.
for some reason, knowing that the univerise has more connective tissue across tv/movies helped me accept both

aka i loved Rebels

Ryan.

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
damn about time we discuss this scene on here

I think it had more to do with the perspective we see her fly and the famous silhouette of Poppins
TLPpRyef39tTonFzg1ZJXgVMp0yhK-Zb4E-MKUlCd6-tlCNLwatAAkUFQQcGfQFXBoa18ItRD7WhFbUp7qWsFWZWd0biWDmK5CdA8SM3gTW3GdJVoScs5Zi4FT3pNHSDvVqZwgEh8oqhidAMf0YDg2s

I mean...
d7bb2a57675a11fc1466204cc63189be.jpg

Thought it was silly in both concept and execution. Heard some folks around me groan when it happened.

And at the same time they also unceremoniously killed off a fan favorite like Ackbar, just so they could introduce a new character… to also kill.

That fan favorite was nothing but a meme prior.

Ushojax

Oct 30, 2017
I love the scene except for the 'Superman' shot. It looks awkward and I wish they had found a better way to frame it, maybe with a view over her shoulder instead of the full wide angle. The moment where she reaches out and feels the Force got my spine tingling, just a shame they didn't nail that money shot. Something about the way her outfit stays so rigid and undamaged makes it look weird. If it had been a bit frayed at the edges and given her a more ragged silhouette it would have looked better, she looks like an action figure flying through space for a couple of seconds.

I also liked how they foreshadowed the Holdo manoeuvre when Leia passes through the hologram of Snoke's ship on the destroyed bridge.

Rendering...

Oct 30, 2017
I thought it was a great moment for Leia. As is the case with so many events in TLJ, it resonates thematically on multiple levels. The scene was clearly written from a character driven standpoint where the past and potential future of everyone involved were carefully considered.

I've seen enough bad movies to know there was nothing wrong with the execution of that scene. People who say "hurr durr, she's Mary Poppins!" are projecting their own cynicism. Her movement through space doesn't look goofy to everyone, actually.

Last edited:

Ushojax

Oct 30, 2017
Yep, Leia at the end in the base is the worst part to me. In TFA she tells Han to bring her son home. At the beginning of TLJ we see a conflicted Kylo when he senses his mom on the ship and doesn't fire. And then when he's right outside the door she just hand waves it as "he's gone." And sits it out like she does the majority of the movie. It's really odd and makes her look incredibly cold.

You can argue Luke's treatment, but for the most part the handling of the legacy characters was a real low point for the ST.

Did you forget that Kylo murdered his father at the end of TFA? She was not expecting that and it's understandable that she lost the hope she had for him.

The scene at the end with her and Luke was so beautifully poignant because Leia is in the same place Luke was when Ben turned, thinking he couldn't be saved. But by the end of the film Luke has come out of his depression and doesn't want Leia to give up on him the way he did.

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
It was silly and okay. I don't know how it could be done better, like doesn't get blown into space and sort of stays inside the ship?

How did she get through the door anyway without exposing the rest of the ship to space?

pavaloo

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think putting all 3 in one image helps you
I disagree, it's quite clear the bent arms extended on either side and the legs being obscured by a dress are nearly identical (down to the silhouette of the bottom of the dress) whereas you need to take liberties to connect it with a superman pose (that isn't a defining pose of his to be known by to begin with) where the similarity is really the curvature of the spine and direction they're looking. is an obtuse comparison

Last edited:
Nov 13, 2017
In theory, FUCK YES! In execution, no. They should have found a different way to film it. My suggestion:

Rather than a wide shot, do a closeup of her face, facing the camera, eyes closed. Slowly, you see the background start to move. Then, only when she gets to the door, does it pan back to show her whole body.

Joeytj

Oct 30, 2017
I loved it. One of the best moments in Star Wars for me, even if it looks somewhat goofy. It's what's being told in the story that's important and the significance of it.

Plenty of incredible moments in Star Wars look like shit, but people go with it because they like what's being told. I suspect many didn't care for this moment because the idea of Leia using the Force like this or just using the Force at all, wasn't attractive to them. But Leia is my favorite or top 3 Star Wars characters, so I welcomed the hell out of this part.

The Silver

Oct 28, 2017
TLJ had a few unintentionally hilarious scenes.

Luke tossing the saber
Leia flying in space
Rose kissing Finn with the explosion in the background

Rian was trying to channel the spiritual meme power of Lucas.

Oct 27, 2017
It'll always look cheesy and terrible IMO. There were tons of ways they could have had her display her ability in the force. Maybe she could've used it to hold the ship together in the instant it exploded. Anything. Instead they go with some weird Mary Poppins looking scene that had half my theater groaning and the other laughing. Actually watching it again reminds me just how bad it was

Deleted member 11039

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Did you forget that Kylo murdered his father at the end of TFA? She was not expecting that and it's understandable that she lost the hope she had for him.

The scene at the end with her and Luke was so beautifully poignant because Leia is in the same place Luke was when Ben turned, thinking he couldn't be saved. But by the end of the film Luke has come out of his depression and doesn't want Leia to give up on him the way he did.

Did you forget that her father was one of the worst people in the galaxy and was pulled back from the dark side? Just giving up on her kid or at least not confronting him in anyway was really weird regardless of the circumstances.

Last edited:

JangleLuke

Oct 4, 2018
I have to add another vote to the pile of "fine idea, terrible execution".

The sweeping shot (or "Superman shot" as someone put it) just doesn't work for me.

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
The "superman shot" definitely wasn't as bad as the fact that we see her clearly get blown the fuck up and riddled with pieces of metal. Its a poorly executed fake out in every sense, from its execution to the way its written into the plot. Its almost a foreshadowing to all the awful death fake out scenes in Rise of Skywalker :S

Because outstretched hands have consistently been the visual initiator that a character is using the force, throughout the entire franchise?

Chei5KqUoAE2ZOW.jpg

latest

2019.12.05-05.36-boundingintocomics-5de94009521c3.png

Yea... but she wasn't doing the hand thing when she was in the middle of a massive explosion. Everyone talking about surviving in a vacuum are missing the more questionable aspect.

Last edited:

Lua

Aug 9, 2018
The "it doesn't make scientific sense" criticism is completely uninteresting to me. Its far from the biggest bs in the franchise, and i just accept it like i accept the rest. The real actual problem is that it looks goofy. It was suposse to be a cool moment for leia but it just looks like they dragged a picture of her in photoshop on the big screen. More should be done with the scene.

Deleted member 42055

Banned
Apr 12, 2018
......... Are people not allowed to not like this movie because he's a "good man" or what?
I never said that, I'm just saying maybe the people that have a personal vendetta against the man should maybe let it go? I've never said you can't dislike or like something.

Donald Trump is successful I guess we can't criticize him y'all.

I'm not even gonna waste my time with this, as this is absolutely insane. You should be embarrassed.
Can people use "trash fire" then, or is it only okay when describing TRoS ?

Lol these clown ass responses Who hurt you people? I can see that rise of Skywalker had some positive elements to it, Daisy was great, it was of course nice to look at...what was atrash fire was that fucking story that brought everything down. I can also say that without wishing death upon JJ Abrams hoping he never works again and for all his faults he is clearly not a total "hack" . See how that all works? People can think TLJ story was garbage all they want but there is impeccable filmmaking at work there (there have been plenty of threads on here of the beautiful shots and cinematography from the film) some can't even admit that.

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not the one using an appeal to authority to deflect criticism. All I did was use similar logic.

They were acting like this in the Beastars thread too, where some wild accusations were taking place. I don't think anyone here was even calling Rian Johnson out and its turned into this accusatory tone.

Eeyore

User requested ban
Banned
Dec 13, 2019
They were acting like this in the Beastars thread too, where some wild accusations were taking place. I don't think anyone here was even calling Rian Johnson out and its turned into this accusatory tone.

Weird. I even like Rian Johnson and the majority of his movies, I just find that poster's argument to be silly.

Deleted member 42055

Banned
Apr 12, 2018
Weird. I even like Rian Johnson and the majority of his movies, I just find that poster's argument to be silly.

If you think leaping to saying guess we can't say anything negative about Donald Trump because "he successful" is a proper comparison to me saying hey maybe people shouldn't personally attack Rian Johnson because they don't like his movies, then I can't help you.

It's Agar25 schtick.

The funny thing is that not a single person in this thread has said anything about Rian Johnson until he brought it up.

I have a "shtick" ?Who are you? The ignore button is right there buddy, I couldn't possibly care less. And I didn't @ anyone in this thread,Why are people acting like I'm going at them personally? My fault for entering a Star Wars thread to be honest. We'all been around long enough to know the kind of shit he's gotten, I was speaking in general.

Again, I did not direct what I said at anyone. Why is everyone so defensive. And in regards to that show hey you like it and I don't. Can you leave those separate conversations in their own respective threads? I'm pretty sure cross thread/community drama isn't a positive thing here.

* i'm ignoring this thread now because the last thing I need are notifications that are just going to be back-and-forth arguing with people that apparently have issues with my posting history? Yea, that's not a thing I'm about. If anyone has an actual legitimate issue by all means send me a message and we can hash things out*

Last edited:

GenTask

Nov 15, 2017
It's cool in that way I guess.

But she gets to do so much more awesome things with the Force in the original EU. You only get the smallest, brief glimpse of her mastery of lightsaber combat in the last movie when she was noted for becoming exceptionally gifted in that regard in the books after being trained by Saba Sebatyne. I think they took the snippets of her unique mastery of force pull, push, and telekinesis of air paths too from the Dark Nest books or that might just be a coincidence - who knows.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
I think a lot of people miss the point of what that scene overall represents. At the very beginning of the film Leia is presented with a conundrum, the conundrum being that her "kids" just aren't ready to take down this new threat that she's used to but too old to fully fight. The person who had the second best chance of taking over just got their entire bombing fleet destroyed and didn't care for the lives lost. Her brother is gone. And Rey is hopeful but so new to everything. Finn has a shit ton of intel on the first order but unbeknownst to her he's constantly trying to flee the conflict altogether. In short, it's not ideal. So she's then put in a situation where she's basically forced to say goodbye to her kids despite all of their hangups. She's not ready to do that because none of them are ready. So she reaches out with the force and pulls herself back to safety. The payoff for this is in the climax of the film.
7c4c4ba4acf8739efe5a63779c510fb4.gif

Love love love this moment.

Calvarok

Oct 26, 2017
Everything about the way her character was used in that movie was beautiful.

She truly felt like an important pillar of the story, not something they cobbled together some emotional resonance around at the last minute.

(see TROS)

That shit when she busted the door down and zapped the would-be-heroes was the most gangster scene her character ever had.