• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

AGoodODST

Oct 28, 2017
It's not unreasonable. You are paying for tuition which you aren't receiving. Fees should be lowered to reflect that.

C.Mongler

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Washington, DC
If it makes you feel better, my alma matter went full steam ahead on in-person classes. The first day of class was last Wednesday, and today they've reached 500 confirmed COVID cases.

Charcoal

Nov 2, 2017
Have you thought about taking a gap year and possibly resuming your studies next fall?

Oct 27, 2017
OP, I feel you're not being unreasonable. You're paying full tuition and you expect to receive an academic education on par with what you're paying.

I do think you're being a bit selfish shortsighted, though. 2020 has been a shit year for everyone and everyone has something to complain about. If your main issue is that you have to stay at home to study, well, count your blessings.

OP
OP
It’s Time To Go
Dec 2, 2017
Have you thought about taking a gap year and possibly resuming your studies next fall?
I've emailed about this, and my academic advisor and head of school aren't replying to emails until the semester starts, which is the end of the month.

OP, I feel you're not being unreasonable. You're paying full tuition and you expect to receive an academic education on par with what you're paying.

I do think you're being a bit selfish shortsighted, though. 2020 has been a shit year for everyone and everyone has something to complain about. If your main issue is that you have to stay at home to study, well, count your blessings.
Well that and getting 9 grand plus maintenance loan in the hole for.... sitting at home.

Kthulhu

Oct 25, 2017
So how many staff should they fire to lower tuition fees then?

Because that's the only option with real wiggle room. Presumably they're going to want the buildings when this is all over, so they can't sell them, after all.

Everyone, at least at decent universities, is working really hard to try and make this work, and nobody asked for the pandemic to ruin everything

Yeah I'm sure it costs $10k to pay for a zoom license on top of the work the prof. would be doing anyway, not to mention the savings you get by not having to keep the buildings in the university open. And if that's not enough these universities could dip into their endowments or cut pay for the administration.

Edit: most universities prior to the pandemic were already loaded, it's not like they couldn't bite the bullet for two semesters and cut costs for online students. People don't just go to college for the degree, it's also an experience and a chance to network. If a university doesn't have that then it might as well be a community college.

Oct 27, 2017
I've emailed about this, and my academic advisor and head of school aren't replying to emails until the semester starts, which is the end of the month.

Well that and getting 9 grand plus maintenance loan in the hole for.... sitting at home.

Surely you'll have assignments to do and stuff. I've been on the other side (I'm a teacher) and, trust me, distance education is not a walk in the park. I find it to be even more work than attending lessons in a physical class.

Deleted member 23381

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Online university sounds like shit to be honest, and for £9k a year? I'd be pissssssed if I was you.

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever™
Sep 24, 2019
Hey, at least you're learning on the front end the pains of being ripped off by a college education. It'll take the sting out when you're paying it off on the back end.

Zarathustra

Oct 27, 2017
OP, I understand your point of view, but you should realise that unfortunately, UK unis are now businesses and the education industry is operating in the red.

My wife is a lecturer at a UK university. She's been trying to cope with the university's unwillingness to change things during the pandemic, and was only told 3 weeks ago that the entire first semester will be online-only - she now has to create videos of her lectures, edit them herself, and constantly be available to answer emails from students with poor English, instead of taking questions during the lecture and have a couple of office hours during the week,as was normal.

On top of it, the university is not paying her more for the extra work and they have not decided if they will even give her a laptop to record the videos. She's expected to use her own equipment.

icing on the cake - the university is lying to prospective students (or keeping it vague) that online classes and on-site classes will be 50-50 for the first semester, because they fear people will simply defer for next year, and the uni will struggle financially.

I'm telling you, stuff's strange af currently.

Steven

Oct 27, 2017
If I were still in school, I'd fucking take this year off. No way I'd pay full tuition for what should be half or less.

Jul 16, 2020
Nothing is normal right now, and it is unreasonable to expect a university to be able to create a bubble of safety. It's just not reality. Being physically in a classroom instead of on Zoom isn't worth your life.

Deleted member 52442

Banned
Jan 24, 2019
Yeah its for the greater good that classes are online, but I don't think being upset about how that impacts you is unreasonable... like at all. It does pretty much just suck from a personal standpoint and it would feel like you're missing out, especially if you're paying full price for half an experience. How is your country handling compensation for people during the pandemic?

Gotta make the most of the bad situation

If I were still in school, I'd fucking take this year off. No way I'd pay full tuition for what should be half or less.

Also this

Joe117

Jul 18, 2020
west Michigan, USA
Depends on how your university is structured imo. If they advertise flexible scheduling for working adults, but had to raise their tuition 3% during a pandemic. Fine. It's reasonable to be upset. Otherwise? Nah. Resources aren't coming out of nowhere to pull this off. It's a crappy situation for everyone involved to be sure.

OP
OP
It’s Time To Go
Dec 2, 2017
OP, I understand your point of view, but you should realise that unfortunately, UK unis are now businesses and the education industry is operating in the red.

My wife is a lecturer at a UK university. She's been trying to cope with the university's unwillingness to change things during the pandemic, and was only told 3 weeks ago that the entire first semester will be online-only - she now has to create videos of her lectures, edit them herself, and constantly be available to answer emails from students with poor English, instead of taking questions during the lecture and have a couple of office hours during the week,as was normal.

On top of it, the university is not paying her more for the extra work and they have not decided if they will even give her a laptop to record the videos. She's expected to use her own equipment.

icing on the cake - the university is lying to prospective students (or keeping it vague) that online classes and on-site classes will be 50-50 for the first semester, because they fear people will simply defer for next year, and the uni will struggle financially.

I'm telling you, stuff's strange af currently.
That's exactly what we were told. We were told we'd have a blended mix, some stuff on campus, some online, and only today were we told it's all online for the whole year.

Zhengi

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Universities still hire the same amount of people to provide services. A lot of the services should be online now. I don't see why tuition should be lower since you will be earning credit towards your degree. Just push through it and finish your degree.

Ryan.

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I don't think you're being unreasonable. It's perfectly understandable for being frustrated. I know the student government at the university here is reevaluating some of the student fees such as athletics for both the current and next semester. The only issue is a lot of those fees help cover salaries (not just athletics but across multiple departments).

Meows

Oct 28, 2017
I don't think it is unreasonable. If I were in college, I'd probably take the year off, I know my cousin is doing that.

Ishmael

Oct 27, 2017
I'd say it's not unreasonable for you to be annoyed but it's also not unreasonable for public universities to be less able to be flexible. There are a lot of fixed costs in the institution. And online teaching is largely harder on the teachers themselves.

Thing is if they had to charge less and fire a ton of staff and cut things then guess what, your next semesters and years you'd be taking classes at a decimated school.
Sadly, most universities are already getting devastated by the pandemic. Trying to provide the same level of education while setting up an online or mixed semester is devastating to the budget. It's understandable to be frustrated by this since this mess is no fun for anyone. However, the thing students have to keep in mind is that they aren't getting less of a higher education experience, they are getting a different experience.

Tobor

Oct 25, 2017
Richmond, VA

Because that's the only option with real wiggle room. Presumably they're going to want the buildings when this is all over, so they can't sell them, after all.

Everyone, at least at decent universities, is working really hard to try and make this work, and nobody asked for the pandemic to ruin everything

Exactly. Something has to give somewhere.

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
wait are they charging you for room and board still? or just tuition?

Oct 25, 2017
Your feelings are normal.

You're underestimating what in-person classes would bring though.

Even if they have them, it's not going to be the same college experience.

Deleted member 1476

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I had the same issues earlier this year.

Funny thing regarding cost is that the online version of my course was around 30% cheaper and was build from the ground up to be online, while us that started with on-site had to pay more for a shittier experience and had zero discount. Fuck that.

Without a vaccine ready before classes return next year I give up even trying to go back, it will go down the same way that happened everywhere else, cases will spike and they will shut down and go back to online, which I hate. I'll just go straight to the certifications and skip the bullshit.

Sybil

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Nah, that's reasonable. Especially the idea of having to pay in full, since at least in my school the tuition is tacked with other fees for things like the sports teams and and the recreational center. Like I just accept paying for them other years, but this time it seems kind of ridiculous.

Antrax

Oct 25, 2017
It's not unreasonable to be upset.

You're not getting a discount though unless you wanna pitch job reductions at your school. The university presumably would like to continue paying their staff

Fulminator

Oct 25, 2017
I think this depends. A credit hour is a credit hour and credit hours have been offered in a variety of ways beyond in-person for decades now even at reputable schools. It may not be ideal, but ultimately, you'd be making progress towards a degree, which is what was promised out of paying that base tuition fee. And of course there are exceptions there too such as labs or courses where in-person/hands-on is absolutely necessary. Where instead either the course isn't offered for this semester or it's offered in-person.

There are even a number of campus services that are still operating, but in a different capacity or delivery format. So some campus services are still functioning even if you're doing it in a virtual format. Writing support, tutoring, etc. Now of course there are also other things where it is impossible to do at a distance. For stuff like that, yeah standard fees should be reduced or eliminated.

But a discount on the actual tuition? Don't really agree there.
I mean, it fucking sucks for the students, but none of the costs have really gone anywhere. The really major costs like staff wages and building rent probably haven't changed at all.

A reduction in tuition would mean universities need to fire staff members and push the existing work on who is left. Quite a few UK universities have already pushed for "voluntary" redundancies quite hard this year already. Not to mention the online teaching means staff have already been having to work harder this year than a normal one.
Maybe I am using tuition the wrong way. I'm talking about like campus resources such as libraries, computers or other equipment, work space, etcetera. Not sure what those costs are bundled into. I don't think the actual education itself should be discounted per se, but are those resources not bundled into the cost of tuition? What happens to students who don't have reasonable access to those things at home?

My original post though was not necessarily saying that anything should be done about it, but that I do think it is valid emotionally for OP or any student to be angry about paying so much when you clearly aren't getting as much as you would if you were able to access campus in person.

Unfortunately that just seems to be the way it is though.

E: also I am speaking on this from a United States perspective, to be clear. I don't claim to know about the UK uni system so please correct me if I've made any wrong assumptions.

Traxus

Spirit Tamer
Jan 2, 2018
Yeah, if I was just entering university now I would definitely consider taking a year off. It would be absolute bullshit to pay full price for such a compromised garbage college experience.

Croc Man

Oct 27, 2017
You've every right to be pissed off, especially as you're not even getting what they advertised recently. If lab work and foreign trips were part of the deal even moreso.

However it's the annoying kind of pissed off where there's no real target for your anger, except the government.

People are pissed for far more trivial reasons, the you can't be angry unless you've lost everything attitude is weird (although of course keep some perspective).

Flannel_and_Assam

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Jun 21, 2020
United Kingdom
It's completely fine and understandable to be unhappy at this. Unfortunately, there's not much that universities can realistically cut from their budgets without significantly impacting on teaching or long-sustainability. Is the university still going to run any extracurricular events during this? That might help with the social angle.

As for a reduction in tuition fees, most students never pay off their student loans anyway. The repayment threshold is quite high and the repayment itself a fairly negligible number, so a reduction in tuition fees would be almost unnoticeable to any non-international/self-paying students.
I was worried that could be my university, as they've promised that, but then I realised that could be almost any university in the UK!

Pau

Self-Appointed Godmother of Bruce Wayne's Children
Oct 25, 2017
I think it's possible to understand and agree with the decision to move to remote learning while still being disappointed and upset. You can also do it while keeping things in perspective. If this is the major way the pandemic affects me, I'm ultimately pretty lucky. That's where I'm at.

I get that for some schools it's absolutely impossible to lower tuition. That's not the issue for mine, and similar schools have actually applied a discount, but my university still refuses. Instead, they raised tuition. Nor were we allowed to defer. That part it also upsetting.

Sayre

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I work for a State University and I completely feel your pain... Just know that our University and Universities like us are suffering as well. We are all in this together.

Im writing this list not to garner sympathy. But to provide a bit of understanding of what you may not be seeing behind the scenes.
  • Enrollment is down.. especially from international students.
  • States are not appropriating their share of money since they're in trouble as well
  • Many University employees such as food services, maintenance workers have been laid off
  • All university staff have to take furlough days
  • My department was asked to cut 20% of our operational budget. We are an IT department that's been more busy than before since we are helping other departments to work from home.
  • Top administrators and athletic coaches took a 5% pay cut.

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah the 9 grand fees are simply outrageous, pandemic or no. I do feel for the undergrads though, especially with the frequency of strikes we've been on in the last few years. I would suggest maybe intercalating as an option - I've just done it for 5 months, but if I could afford to I'd take longer off.

BigWeather

Nov 4, 2017
The problem with the "take a year off" plan is some schools anticipated that and stressed that if you skipped a year you'd have to re-apply. So, yeah...

Here's my tale of woe. Parent of a Junior at a public university and a second year Masters at a private university. Both delayed their decision so late that they got leases. One is still living at the apartment but could just as easily be home, costing about $5,000 this semester. The other is living here at home, costing about $6,000 this semester on a room she'll never live in or visit (it is a rented room in D.C., we're in NC). Add on top of that his tuition ($5,000-ish including fees for gyms not being used, teams not competing, etc.) and hers at $20,000 I'm out ~$35,000 this semester with neither kid getting a great experience. It sucks, but at least we're all healthy so there's that. In the case of the Masters student it really sucks because the summer between the years was supposed to be research but they had to cancel that and do a "critical peer review" in its place. Additionally, they're having to delay Fall labs until Spring, which will make her final semester packed. Nobody is yet talking about what will happen if Spring is online only -- they'll have to figure something out because there is no way in Hell they are getting a fifth semester of tuition out of me.

Deleted member 33412

Banned
Nov 16, 2017
Tokyo
I'm in the exact same boat as you OP. To make matters worse my dad has completely gone off the deep end with suicidal threats and binge drinking and now I am at home stuck with all of this. But alas it is what it is.

Edit: And I'm in the Southern Hemisphere so we didn't have our summer holiday period.

OP
OP
It’s Time To Go
Dec 2, 2017
The problem with the "take a year off" plan is some schools anticipated that and stressed that if you skipped a year you'd have to re-apply. So, yeah...

Here's my tale of woe. Parent of a Junior at a public university and a second year Masters at a private university. Both delayed their decision so late that they got leases. One is still living at the apartment but could just as easily be home, costing about $5,000 this semester. The other is living here at home, costing about $6,000 this semester on a room she'll never live in or visit (it is a rented room in D.C., we're in NC). Add on top of that his tuition ($5,000-ish including fees for gyms not being used, teams not competing, etc.) and hers at $20,000 I'm out ~$35,000 this semester with neither kid getting a great experience. It sucks, but at least we're all healthy so there's that. In the case of the Masters student it really sucks because the summer between the years was supposed to be research but they had to cancel that and do a "critical peer review" in its place. Additionally, they're having to delay Fall labs until Spring, which will make her final semester packed. Nobody is yet talking about what will happen if Spring is online only -- they'll have to figure something out because there is no way in Hell they are getting a fifth semester of tuition out of me.
Wow, that really sucks too. Thats not small change.

Oct 26, 2017
I'm laughing at the number of people in this thread who think uni staff see any of the tuition money. The universities had staff when the education was free, far more than they do this upcoming academic year anyway. The financialisation of UK unis has completely fucked them and teaching staff are always first to suffer when the universities overspend.

Heliex

Nov 2, 2017
User Warned: Hostility
Yeah, you should probably think about someone other than yourself for a change, theres a pandemic going on.

Edit: I do agree that tuition fees are BS if your studying from home though.

Crayolan

Oct 25, 2017
Yea if i was still in university I'd be extremely conflicted myself. I absolutely would not want to go for in-person classes, but at the same time being away from home was a very important part about uni to me and not getting the "full" experience for the same price would feel like a scam. I feel like the best answer may be to try and see if you can work out a gap year with your university, and use that time to learn a skill, or if possible get a remote internship, which will help in your future job prospects.

Seirith

Oct 25, 2017
It sucks but 2020 is a very different year. You are still getting your education, it will just be online instead of in person and the college stiff has costs they need to pay, even though you are currently learning online. I'd take a year off or try and deal with it the best you can.

Lots of people have had their life disrupted, my husband may loose his job soon due to Covid. I know people who have died because of Covid, it is not easy for a lot of people right now.

BigWeather

Nov 4, 2017
Yup. I'm in my final year and in addition to having to reapply, I would lose all my academic scholarships.
Yep, I think that they are doing that is bullcrap. Is it normally like that with gap years or is this them reacting to the virus and trying to head off a mass exodus until things return to normal?

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
Everyone is taking a bite of the 2020 shit sandwich. This is just yours.

They already had one sandwich in March with half the first year being fucked. To have that likely for at least half the second year too really sucks.

My son is going back to his 2nd year in a couple of weeks -they're hoping for 1, 4 hour tutorial session face to face each week. Thats better than nothing, but I'd expect campus to be pretty empty. He's hoping he'll still be able to access sports facilities, and will be in a private house with some others on the same course so can still try to live with some independence.

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space

Just so I'm clear, are you saying education isn't incredibly overpriced and the thousands to tens of thousands a year each student is charged are just covering operational fees?

GameChanger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You are not being unreasonable at all for being upset over this. They should lower your tuition cost. But the pandemic has hit some much worse than your situation. We are all in this together.

Landy828

Oct 26, 2017
Clemson, SC

Teachers still have to get paid. They have families and lives too.

Also, online teaching or splitting online and in person is an absolute cluster. Teachers are working insane hours.

My wife has taught for 10 years, she's now an instructional coach starting this year. She puts in 60-90 hours a week (average the last 3 weeks). She's even working on Saturdays and Sundays some.

She's only getting paid for 40 hours though, so the state doesn't have to pay her more for her insane amount of work and hours, which is complete BS 😡

She has had to make school wide teaching strategy changes twice now....her plans literally have to be dynamic by the week.

Edit** On subject, being annoyed/upset by the pandemic is fine. However, I'd hope you'd choose to stay quarantined if you had the option. Dying/killing other people to get the "college experience" isn't exactly the right choice in this situation.