• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
also, here's Brother Bear 2

0786936278231_p0_v2_s550x406.jpg

ratcliffja

Oct 28, 2017
iirc, Cinderella is extremely profitable for disney, and in multiple ways over many years, back when the disney vault was more of a focus, there were specialty releases for anniversaries, not to mention all the Cinderella toys and products

so sequels were always gonna be a sure thing, easy fuckin cash

also, i feel like them making one of the sisters actually kinda ok/good was them toying with the "villains who might not be super evil" stuff that they messed with in the aughts, and fully embraced in the 2010's
Wait who else was a shade of grey evil? I can kinda see the mother from Tangled, but the Frozen and Princess and the Frog villains were pretty much straight evil.

FormatCompatible

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
iirc, Cinderella is extremely profitable for disney, and in multiple ways over many years, back when the disney vault was more of a focus, there were specialty releases for anniversaries, not to mention all the Cinderella toys and products

so sequels were always gonna be a sure thing, easy fuckin cash

also, i feel like them making one of the sisters actually kinda ok/good was them toying with the "villains who might not be super evil" stuff that they messed with in the aughts, and fully embraced in the 2010's
Very interesting stuff, thank you. Are they any good, do I actually have to watch those now lol? They are one of the few of those direct-to-video sequels I never bothered watching since I don't love the original Cinderella that much.

Kyrios

Oct 27, 2017
I always forget that movie's existence. Aren't all the Disney animated sequels created by the teams who did the cartoons on the Disney channel?

Oozer

Oct 25, 2017

1225174.jpg

If you really want to head down the direct to DVD Disney sequel shitshow, give Pocahontas II a watch

And yeah, cosigning Cinderella III and the third Aladdin movie being legitimately decent

Pocahontas II is the only non-Aladdin Direct-to-DVD sequel I've seen. I don't remember it being particularly bad, per se, but it was really boring. And like half the run time was animal antics, some of which was repeated from both the first movie and from earlier in itself. It had a real "slapped-together-in-a-couple-of-months" feel to it.

Carnby

Oct 25, 2017
I get the feeling that all Disney straight to home video sequels are bad. I've only seen Aladdin 2 and oh boy that sucked.

Big One

Oct 25, 2017
Back in 2011 I did a series of reviews on some Disney forums I went to where I reviewed ALL of the Disney sequels from start to finish. Fox and the Hound 2 broke me. :/ It was legit the only review i couldn't finish cause I had sooo much negative feelings towards it, and I ended up not doing all of them because of it.

Wazzy

Oct 25, 2017
Lion King 2 is the only disney sequel that is actually great. The rest we can all just pretend don't exist.

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
Back in 2011 I did a series of reviews on some Disney forums I went to where I reviewed ALL of the Disney sequels from start to finish. Fox and the Hound 2 broke me. :/ It was legit the only review i couldn't finish cause I had sooo much negative feelings towards it, and I ended up not doing all of them because of it.
reba mcentire just that good at singing, huh

Deleted member 42055

User requested account closure
Banned
Apr 12, 2018
The film that more or less killed Disney's 2D animation studio (Treasure Planet doesn't count since it made back its money on home release).

Watch Rescuers Down Under if it's on there first. It's absolutely gorgeous and the only sequel to top the original animated feature.

I'm so glad more people are realizing how lovely a film Rescuers Down Under is. It helped contribute to my love of Australia and my desire to visit the country. Plus freaking George C Scott as the villain voice? Awesome

VinylCassette64

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017

lmao no. By "Little Mermaid in reverse," the sequel's about a human (Ariel's daughter) who wants to become a mermaid (whereas Ariel was a mermaid who wanted to become human).

I get the feeling that all Disney straight to home video sequels are bad. I've only seen Aladdin 2 and oh boy that sucked.

I'd vouch for Lilo and Stitch 2 actually being a lot better than given credit for and Lion King 2 being just okay. Pocahontas 2 I won't say is good at all but for some reason, I remember liking it better than the first film as a kid. Can't speak for any of the others though, although I constantly read good things about Lion King 1 1/2.

OP
OP
Uzumaki Goku

Uzumaki Goku

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Any thoughts on Beauty and the Beast The Enchanted Christmas? That was a midquel

SNRUB

Oct 27, 2017
New Jersey
I'm of the opinion that the only direct-to-video Disney sequel that matters is the third Aladdin movie solely because they let Robin Williams go hog wild there. Years later and I'm still laughing at his scenes there.
Partner and I watched all the Aladdin animated films and the reduction in art quality for the second one was super noticeable. We both made constant comments on just how bad it was when compared to the first, with Jasmine's eyes in particular being consistently fucked.

Third one was much closer to the first film's art.
Fun fact, you can catch an early trailer of King of Thieves which includes a bunch of shots not present in the final film:

Notice how Genie looks more in line with his appearance in Return of Jafar and the following cartoon series? They were gonna go with Dan Castellaneta initially, recorded everything until the eleventh hour when Disney and Robin Williams buried the hatchet. They re-recorded all the lines (and let Rob improvise) and pumped some extra money into the animation and Genie in the final film looks more like his original self from the original.

Nilou

Oct 25, 2017
Absolutely no where near as good as the original I actually kind of enjoyed Mulan II. I honestly had no clue they made a Hunchback of Notre Dame II though, first I'm hearing of it.

Nilou

Oct 25, 2017
I think my favorite Disney Movie sequel is Beauty and the Beast: The Enchanted Christmas. While of course not being a timeless classic like the original it's a good movie in it's own right. I remember wanting it all the time with my Vovo when I was very little. It's been so long since I've last seen it, will probably try and watch it again this holiday season.

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
If you really want to head down the direct to DVD Disney sequel shitshow, give Pocahontas II a watch

And yeah, cosigning Cinderella III and the third Aladdin movie being legitimately decent

Yes, Pocahantas II was about as unnecessary as anything ever made. I think it's the only Disney sequel where the love interest basically changes in the movie (and I realize it's for historical accuracy, but very little else is historically accurate in the film and having two protagonists named John seems very confusing to me)

Boclfon479

Oct 25, 2017
Of the VHS era Disney sequels, the only one I really liked was Aladdin and the King of Thieves

MisterHero

Oct 25, 2017
I loved Rescuers Down Under until I realized all the friendly animals got left in the dungeon, never to be seen again. Now it just bugs me. :(

Polioliolio

Nov 6, 2017
Even as a kid I knew these were trash. There's a particular scene in Return of Jafar where Aladdin and Jasmine are having a conversation. There's a rose behind them in a vase, and as the scene goes on, what's going on with that vase makes at least three obvious changes. My sister and I laughed and laughed about that.

Just cheap and tainted the legacy of these amazing classics.

Sep 14, 2019
Even as a kid I knew these were trash. There's a particular scene in Return of Jafar where Aladdin and Jasmine are having a conversation. There's a rose behind them in a vase, and as the scene goes on, what's going on with that vase makes at least three obvious changes. My sister and I laughed and laughed about that.

Just cheap and tainted the legacy of these amazing classics.

At least it lead to the animated series, which was a pretty enjoyable show.

PAFenix

Unshakable Resolve
Nov 21, 2019
I remember having fond memories of some of these sequel movies as a kid. Then I got the movies for my kids and realized how poor quality a good majority of them all. Could still enjoy a couple of them, but oof the things you don't notice when you're young.

Poltergust

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Orlando, FL
Why did Cinderella of all films got two sequels? And why did they retcon one of her sisters to actually be a misunderstood soul who just wanted true love? Also why the fuck wasn't Lady Tremaine been decapitated or something?
They get their comeuppance in Kingdom Hearts, at least.

They actually die. It happens off-screen, but they get blown up lol.

Pop-O-Matic

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Watch Rescuers Down Under if it's on there first. It's absolutely gorgeous and the only sequel to top the original animated feature.

This doesn't really count because it's an actual theatrical film made by Walt Disney Animation Studios themselves. All the DTV films were usually farmed out to B-tier studios.

FormatCompatible

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
They get their comeuppance in Kingdom Hearts, at least.

They actually die. It happens off-screen, but they get blown up lol.
Holy shit I forgot about that, goddamn lol!

Also I just remembered the Peter Pan sequel starts with them trying to escape London because The Blitz is happening. But that's the only thing I remember from that movie.

addik

Oct 28, 2017

Actually, that's one thing I remember from Cinderella II that I really liked. Anastasia's love story with the baker was really well done.

I haven't watched Cinderella III yet but I heard it's one of the things they undid in the sequel so that's a bummer.

Cheerilee

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I've mentioned it before, but DisneyToon Studios (the animation studio that made almost all of the infamous Disney Sequels) was very under-appreciated, in that they got no respect from anyone (neither their bosses nor the fans), but they weren't to blame for the low quality of their work. They were just doing their jobs under terrible conditions, as best they could.

I read an interview with the director (I think it was the director) of Pocahontas 2, and he said that he got called to the studio head's office one day and they told him "You're making Pocahontas 2." So he said "Can I have a copy of Pocahontas 1, for reference?" and the studio head responded with "It's not out on VHS yet, so no. Have the script on my desk by Friday." So the director walked back to the studio and called out to the animators "Have any of you seen Pocahontas 1? And if so, can you tell me what happened in that movie?" The director hadn't even seen the original movie, and yet Disney wanted him to produce a sequel with zero resources or support.

The problem wasn't a bad studio, the problem was that Disney management at the time didn't give a shit. The Disney Sequels were product, meant to grab easy money from suckers, while driving the sales of other product. The positive quality of movies like Aladdin 3 and Cinderella 3 is due to the efforts of the low-level studio employees, not the high-level Disney management.

When Disney merged with Pixar and Lasseter took over, he fired the head of DisneyToon and let the studio do what they want with the Tinkerbell franchise (Disney was trying to expand her character, because before Frozen, Tinkerbell was Disney's single biggest moneymaker), and DisneyToon made six Tinkerbell movies, with only one real dud among them (if you ask me).

And then Lasseter made DisneyToon make his "Planes" movies for him because his own studio Pixar got tired of his "Cars 2" shit, and then DisneyToon got dumped when Lasseter was fired and Disney bought Fox and picked up Blue Sky Studios, and Disney decided that they didn't need two different B-teams.

Dynedom

Nov 1, 2017
I think Aladdin 3 and Rescuers Down Under are the only Disney sequels I enjoyed.

Robin Williams made Aladdin 3, though. The gags were fantastic.

Cheerilee

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Actually, that's one thing I remember from Cinderella II that I really liked. Anastasia's love story with the baker was really well done.

I haven't watched Cinderella III yet but I heard it's one of the things they undid in the sequel so that's a bummer.
You should watch Cinderella 3.

Ravelle

Oct 31, 2017
Disney sequels always fascinated me as why they were made, I guess because the orginals were popular but they also went straight to DVD.

That said, I did enjoy the Alladin sequels quite a bit.

Oct 29, 2017
The direct to video sequels are one thing, but who else watched the Tarzan animated TV series?

I remember there was everything from Clayton's sister coming to the jungle to hunt Tarzan to a woman with magic powers who could turn into a leopard.

Dwebble

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I've seen the vast majority of Disney's DTV sequels (I know, I know).

None of them are good, and it's very rare indeed that any of them get past flat terrible. Hunchback II is fucking awful, but it's probably not the worst- Cinderella 2, Belle's Magical World and Bambi II are just putrid.