• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Swiggins

was promised a tag
Apr 10, 2018
*User makes completely well intentioned thread about a word with a tumultuous history*

THIs iS WhY ERa Has A RePutaTIon
ERUe0aBU0AE4y4X.jpg

PaulloDEC

Visited by Knack
Oct 25, 2017
Australia
That dialogue is clearly written in ye olde pirate speak. Hence the word "queer" being used in its ye olde form.

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
*User makes completely well intentioned thread about a word with a tumultuous history*

Could y'all be any more transparent?
There's being well intentioned and then there's this thread. I'm just curious in what scenario could the game be using the word queer in any ther way than it is obviously being used?

Desmond

Oct 25, 2017
There's a dialect here that uses queer (becomes quare in the accent) as a replacement for 'very'.

Kingpin Rogers

HILF
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Could y'all be any more transparent?
All it takes is a second to think that the game probably wouldn't be using the word queer to call a chest gay. It might be a well-intentioned thread but it's also a bit silly and thoughtless.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
It makes sense in the context of it being said by an old toy that's been stuck in the Sandersons' basement for decades. It's a good choice that gives you useful context about that pirate dude

JazzmanZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
It's alright OP some words are different then they are now.

It is a bit queer seeing them in other context, just make sure you don't pull another boner like this in the future and we'll have a gay ol time.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
User Banned (5 Days): Hostility
Same. I learned something today.

Why are you purposefully being standoffish about this?

Because one person made a mistake about a word that took decades to be reclaimed and you fucking yucksters are tripping over yourselves laughing it up without giving a shit about how much that word was used to hurt the Queer community.

Y'all can get fucked.

Odinsmana

Mar 13, 2019
Maybe I just read too much old stuff, but I feel like using the word queer to mean strange isn't that unusual? Definetly more common than using gay to mean happy.

Noog

â–˛ Legend â–˛
May 1, 2018
Listen to "What's This?" from Nightmare Before Christmas, it has it too.

As others have said, just means weird, odd, or peculiar.

Zutrax

Oct 31, 2017
Yeah it's almost like its most popular use for the last 70 years has been a slur or something. Crazy that.
I get what you're trying to say, but it hasn't been a slur for quite as long as it was a literary term. It's been a literary term for "strange" for much much longer.

Queer became a slur once it was adopted to also mean "gay". Then re-adopted again.

"Entering the English language in the 16th century, queer originally meant "strange", "odd", "peculiar", or "eccentric." It might refer to something suspicious or "not quite right", or to a person with mild derangement or who exhibits socially inappropriate behaviour."

And then

"queer came to be used pejoratively against those with same-sex desires or relationships in the late 19th century."

en.m.wikipedia.org

Queer - Wikipedia

Swiggins

was promised a tag
Apr 10, 2018
Because one person made a mistake about a word that took decades to be reclaimed and you fucking yucksters are tripping over yourselves laughing it up without giving a shit about how much that word was used to hurt the Queer community.

Y'all can get fucked.
Jesus. Sorry I asked.

Naga

Alt account
Banned
Aug 29, 2019
you fucking yucksters are tripping over yourselves laughing it up without giving a shit about how much that word was used to hurt the Queer community.

Y'all can get fucked.
That's not really what happened?
Nobody here is saying this word isn't (and hasn't been for a long time) used to hurt people. Nobody is laughing. Calm down.

The context used here is very specific and can't be mistaken for a slur. It's obviously old english in the OP's capture, and I doubt some homophobic person in the localization team laughed maniacally while putting it in either.

Westbahnhof

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austria
What's that from? I know that Holmes and Watson love ejaculating, with quotes like " "Thank God!" I ejaculated from my very heart. " and " I ejaculated after I had twice read over the extraordinary announcement. "

Bonus ejaculation:
"So he sat as I dropped off to sleep, and so he sat when a sudden ejaculation caused me to wake up, and I found the summer sun shining into the apartment."

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
What's that from? I know that Holmes and Watson love ejaculating, with quotes like " "Thank God!" I ejaculated from my very heart. " and " I ejaculated after I had twice read over the extraordinary announcement. "

Bonus ejaculation:
"So he sat as I dropped off to sleep, and so he sat when a sudden ejaculation caused me to wake up, and I found the summer sun shining into the apartment."
these specific ejaculations come from Poirot's good partner Hastings

Swiggins

was promised a tag
Apr 10, 2018
Why must you toy with me!

Bonus ejaculation:
Man Victorian Era English Literature was WILD

Patsy

Jun 7, 2019
Germany
The origin of queer is odd or strange afaik. At some point people started using it in a negative way towards LGBT+ people which stuck until this day.

There's many people that have reclaimed it at this point & use it to dscribe themselves, but also a lot of LGBT+ people still consider it a slur & especially hate it being used as an umbrella word for LGBT+ people. I for one don't like to be referred to as it & I know most of my friends don't either. I still regularly get called queer by straight guys in a very negative way if I'm open about being a lesbian & non-binary like my prior workplace, so yeah, obviously a lot of us have problems with it. And obviously it's still something that gets used by cishet people against LGBT+ people. I love using dyke as a lesbian & have reclaimed it for myself after years of despising it, but I wouldn't fault any other lesbians being uncomfortable with using it either and I don't use it for others unless I know they're okay with it.

Anyway, with that out of the way, I think this is fine. It seems it's used with it's original meaning & not the derogatory one. I do think it has no place in new media unless it's in an Victorian London setting or whatever time period it came from or uses the language from that time period & obviously if it's used by a character who identifies as queer, but yeah, this seems harmless.

could really live without the fucking (most likely) cishet ppl in here immediately being like "lol this is why ppl hate era" what the fuck is wrong with you. it's a valid concern.

Status
Not open for further replies.