• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

ScoobsJoestar

May 30, 2019
So when Smartwatches came out I thought they were dumb and didn't really do anything. They don't really do anything I can't do with my phone. I still stand by that.

...But goddamn it, I enjoy it a lot. The voice to text is actually incredibly good and I'm surprised at how effective it is at answering texts. I like using it to set alarms. I like not having to pull my phone out to see what an alarm is or what my crypto is up to. It's...really convenient? I have zero complaints about it, battery life is pretty good, it's convenient and stuff. Doesn't really change my life or anything but it just makes me go "Oh yeah neat" and be less annoyed at small things during the day. Would never have bought it at full price but I got it for free at work so like, it's all good?

I'm so mad at myself for enjoying it though because I still think it doesn't really do anything and it's way overpriced...but goddamn it I enjoy it.

(I'm mildly joking about being upset at myself but, legit, part of me is like "goddamn it why is this fun" lol)

julia crawford

Took the red AND the blue pills
Oct 27, 2017
My boss has one. Sometimes i saw him slap his watch and i never understood what was going on.

Ambient

Dec 23, 2017
I used to have a nice collection of watches I would rotate through depending on the occasion. Now that I have an Apple Watch I wear it exclusively. It feels good and has lots of neat features.

Laserbeam

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Smart Watches offer plenty of nice and convienient little things. If you can afford to drop some cash on one and enjoy things like that I don't think there's much to feel bad about.

Yuli Ban

Feb 1, 2021
I don't have one but I adore the futurism of it and wish more people reflected on the fact we now wear what would've been supercomputers 50 years ago on our wrists. Like something out of a cheesy sci-fi/spy movie. But real.

Richiek

Nov 2, 2017
For me, the Fitness functions of the Apple Watch are what I use the most and has definitely gotten me to be more active.

Deleted member 46493

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 7, 2018
I'm considering getting an SE just so I can listen to podcasts and music while on my walks without my bringing phone (plus the health tracking). I've never worn stuff on my wrist and I think they're dorky but eh, they are objectively useful.

nullref

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, I've liked mine more than I expected. As you said, it doesn't do much (other than fitness tracking) that your phone doesn't do as well, but it does a few things in a nicer way. I like being able to glance at the short-term weather forecast so easily.

scottbeowulf

Oct 27, 2017
United States
I got a smartwatch a while back and eventually hated it. Didn't like being tethered to all that info. Now I'm back to my regular watches and couldn't be happier.

Curufinwe

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
DE
I need a new GPS watch for running now that my Fitbit Ionic is dead, but I have almost a decade tracking my steps with FitBit which puts me off switching to Apple Watch even though the tech is better and more reliable.

donkey

Sumo Digital Dev
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Easy Apple Pay/contactless purchasing with my watch (+ fitness) make it one of the best.

It's funny people still are getting wowed by paying with my watch.

pokeystaples

Oct 27, 2017
I got one for Christmas and feel the exact same way. I thought they were a silly waste of money but my screen time has cut 89%. It stopped the cycle of "got a text, check my email, check hangouts, check era," that I was kind of stuck in. Now I just voice to text and keep it moving.

behOemoth

Oct 27, 2017
I got the Watch Series 5 with a hefty discount of my health insurance and I really like it since. I ultimately switched from Fitbit because of the extrem hefty data uploads. It's simply stupid to need a connection to the Fitbit servers to get my data from the watch to my smartphone.
However, the must have features are GPS and playing music for me. It's really helping me to get not distracting doing workouts.
My boss has one. Sometimes i saw him slap his watch and i never understood what was going on.
You silence (darken the screen) the watch by touching the display with your palm. You don't need to slap the watch.
I need a new GPS watch for running now that my Fitbit Ionic is dead, but I have almost a decade tracking my steps with FitBit which puts me off switching to Apple Watch even though the tech is better and more reliable.
Aren't the Garmin Watches the go-to GPS tracker?

HommePomme

Oct 30, 2017

Does Fitbit not dump the step counts into Apple Health or is it the GPS route info you're hoping to salvage?

Mortemis

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
It's a great add on if you get me. Makes things really convenient and I like all of the health tracking. I still consider it a nice to have, but if I got rid of it I'd be fine kinda device though. That's why I don't see myself upgrading anytime in the near future, unless they figure out a way to double the battery life or something.

My Apple Watch is a godsend for work as it's great for receiving notifications without having to check my phone, especially when I get random phone calls from numbers I don't recognize - it immediately lists them as spam calls.

colorblindmode

Chicken Chaser
Nov 26, 2019
South Carolina
For me, the Fitness functions of the Apple Watch are what I use the most and has definitely gotten me to be more active.

This is why I've been wanting an Apple Watch. I've heard from friends and online that, if one were to do any type of fitness activity, including just walking, an Apple Watch is almost a necessity. Is that true? Is the Health App that much better than say, just the Health App on my phone?

Gawge

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, I had the same experience.

Thought they were nonsense when they first came out, now been wearing one for over 2 years! Can't see how I could go back now to be honest.

I only started to use it for the fitness stuff, tracking my runs and seeing data as I ran (rather than on my phone strapped on my arm). Being able to quickly see texts/notifications and change music, pause workouts and stuff was a real bonus. But then all the other small 'quality of life' improvements do add up.

Apple Pay is huge as well.

Hooked into Fitness+ now as well.

Yerffej

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
I never thought I'd care about having it as much as I do. Never wore watches before this. If something happened to it now, I'd get another immediately. It's too useful.

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Get AppleCare+ if you still can. At some point Apple decided they will not repair the screen for less than $229, which is just absolutely highway robbery for a 1" piece of glass.

That is maybe the worst thing I have to say about the watch though.....always enjoyed mine.

Gawge

Oct 27, 2017
This is why I've been wanting an Apple Watch. I've heard from friends and online that, if one were to do any type of fitness activity, including just walking, an Apple Watch is almost a necessity. Is that true? Is the Health App that much better than say, just the Health App on my phone?

I mean, no.

Big fan of the Apple Watch, but people enjoyed walking, running, swimming and lifting weights without a smart watch.

The Fitness app is pretty good, and the 'closing the rings' does have more control over me than I'd like to admit (which is good for making me do some exercise every day). I do use Strava for running and cycling though still, as I prefer it, and you could do that (minus the heart-rate and real-time data on your wrist) if you just carry your phone with you. So it's not a necessity, but if you love your workout data / gamification stuff, then it's really good.

whatsinaname

Oct 25, 2017

I wouldn't call it a 'necessity'. But based on where you are in your fitness journey, it can be a very very valuable tool.

Like, I was already invested and motivated to improve my fitness but did have the habit of procrastinating or skipping some days in my routine. But haven't missed a day sinceI
got my watch a year ago. Something about the three rings to close and the badges and monthly challenges is so compulsive to me.

the_id

Oct 25, 2017
- Reminders
- Google maps integration finally
- Siri integration
- Fitness+

My Apple watch is one of the best tools I have to help manage my ADHD. I just wish Siri could be as responsive as Alexa.

Br3wnor

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Once I'm back to commuting every day I'll be using it again. Love my Apple Watch and it is super useful when you're working and going about your day, just makes things more convenient. Since we've been home 99% of the time though I haven't had a lot of use for it

Oct 29, 2017
The watch gives you more feedback on your vitals. While it tracks steps as well, that's the most basic thing it does. Everything on top of that is giving you deeper analytics on things like vo2, heart health, calories burned, etc.

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
I like mine a lot and I feel like I've get to unlock its true potential since I stopped running and doing exercise as often.

Travo

Oct 27, 2017
South Carolina
My Apple Watch is extremely convenient. I use it for my walks and great for pacing my classes when teaching. I could go without but certainly don't want to.

Chan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Eh it's just a notification device my girlfriend got so I don't miss her texts she says.

Mammoth Jones

Oct 25, 2017
New York
Doesn't do anything? You don't go to the gym? Or walk/runs?

Also: It adds a lot of convenient utility. Especially the models that provide cell service. The entire point is it's an accompaniment to your phone. Nice to run out and forget/leave your phone behind and not be completely unreachable. Or getting messages if the phone is charging somewhere.

Oct 27, 2017
I kind of want to get the SE model for running since my iPhone 12 Pro Max is gigantic. Can't decide if it's worth paying more to my carrier for LTE though.

Rizific

Oct 27, 2017
is it worth owning if you have an android phone? i recently won a SE watch during a webinar raffle and its getting here on monday. was planning on throwing it straight onto craigslist/marketplace since i already have a fossil hybrid that i use for my daily. has nowhere near the functionality of an actual smart watch, but it gives me notifications on my wrist which is the biggest thing im going for. not into fitness either so those features are useless to me. its a cellular one, which im assuming ill have to pay my current cell provider for a line/data plan to use? should i keep?

ZeroX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speed Force
I mostly use mine for fitness. Also good for hands free cooking alarms, more reliable than yelling Hey Siri at your phone.

it's the ultimate convenience device but it doesn't add anything new

Donepalace

Mar 16, 2019

Also: It adds a lot of convenient utility. Especially the models that provide cell service. The entire point is it's an accompaniment to your phone. Nice to run out and forget/leave your phone behind and not be completely unreachable. Or getting messages if the phone is charging somewhere.

Its funny because I went out the other day without the watch but actually walked the 5mins to get it from the house even though i had my phone i love it for the running and fitness tracking

OP
OP
ScoobsJoestar

ScoobsJoestar

May 30, 2019

I mean, I do, but I didn't think anything the watch did would really add up to it. And technically it doesn't, my phone can do most of the things my watch does. But the watch is so much more comfortable to use, I love it. It's a super unnecessary luxury but I'm glad to have it.

White Glint

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Bought a series 3 last summer and regret not holding out for an SE. Would love to have LTE and the bigger variety of watchfaces on this thing.

I have to say using it to pay for shit is the best but I'm sure there's some cheaper android smart watches that can do it just as well.

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
Same thing I said when I got my Galaxy Watch. The only watches I bought were the digital/analog hybrid watches, and the only ones I could find in a style that I liked were Shark Watch/Weide/Golden Hour (they're all made in the same factory, they just had different logos).

But those watches were of shoddy quality, so they broke too often,and I just kept replacing them because I liked the styles,. And I had multiple styles and colors; then after a certain point, I just gave up and bought a smart watch because of the fact I could change my watch face and then style the watch bands to match.

Then I started actually using features and became a fan. Downside is when the battery starts to go to shit. But since it's Samsung, the only thing between me and swapping out the battery myself are four screws.

btkadams

Oct 25, 2017
The fitness stuff is fantastic, and not just because of its sensors, but because of the actual activity app and how it game-ifies working out.

I also set timers on it almost constantly.

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I wasn't a fan of smart watches in general, but I wouldn't be without my Fenix now. I thought about an Apple Watch but the poor battery life and GPS accuracy put me off.

bremon

Oct 27, 2017
I didn't think I'd like it, but got a Series 3 for Christmas 2019. Absolutely love it. It replaced my Fitbit, and is great for notifications, workout tracking, checking stocks, timers, etc.

Battery life could be better but I'm definitely not complaining overall; it's a great device. Might upgrade to Series 7 down the road if they keep that sweet blue colour.

Oct 30, 2017
is it worth owning if you have an android phone? i recently won a SE watch during a webinar raffle and its getting here on monday. was planning on throwing it straight onto craigslist/marketplace since i already have a fossil hybrid that i use for my daily. has nowhere near the functionality of an actual smart watch, but it gives me notifications on my wrist which is the biggest thing im going for. not into fitness either so those features are useless to me. its a cellular one, which im assuming ill have to pay my current cell provider for a line/data plan to use? should i keep?

you can't use it without an iphone.

Chasex

Oct 29, 2017
The fitness stuff is fantastic, and not just because of its sensors, but because of the actual activity app and how it game-ifies working out.

I also set timers on it almost constantly.

I thought I'd like the fitness stuff more than I do tbh. The step counter in particular doesn't seem very accurate, and it barely ever automatically senses I'm working out. I did p90x plyo today and it says 15 minutes of exercise done.

One thing I love is integration with dual factor auth for all my work stuff. So convenient.

Fuhgeddit

#TeamThierry
Oct 27, 2017
I dig it so much. Love using it for workouts and the various reasons you mentioned. Trying to be less phone dependent too with using the watch. Setting up timers and reminders, etc.

Haven't used it much for stocks though. I haven't bought much in my IRA lol.

Mammoth Jones

Oct 25, 2017
New York
I mean, I do, but I didn't think anything the watch did would really add up to it. And technically it doesn't, my phone can do most of the things my watch does. But the watch is so much more comfortable to use, I love it. It's a super unnecessary luxury but I'm glad to have it.

Some of the activity stuff can't be done on the phone such as heartrate/workouts/ekg. But everything else technically you're right but I feel that pointing that out misses the point. The watch is designed to be a continuation of the phone experience but streamlined and ultra portable. So the fact that the watch does what the phone can already do is intended. Think of it this way: What does a laptop do that a desktop doesn't do? The utility it offers is it's main selling point.

I love it for never missing calls/texts/work related messages. Even when my phone is on the charge in the bedroom I can stay connected. That's valuable to me.

OP
OP
ScoobsJoestar

ScoobsJoestar

May 30, 2019
Some of the activity stuff can't be done on the phone such as heartrate/workouts/ekg. But everything else technically you're right but I feel that pointing that out misses the point. The watch is designed to be a continuation of the phone experience but streamlined and ultra portable. So the fact that the watch does what the phone can already do is intended. Think of it this way: What does a laptop do that a desktop doesn't do? The utility it offers is it's main selling point.

I love it for never missing calls/texts/work related messages. Even when my phone is on the charge in the bedroom I can stay connected. That's valuable to me.
That's fair, that's more or less what's been shocking to me as I've been using it - that I really love the usability. I thought that there wasn't much to appreciate since I carry a phone with me anyway(while I don't carry a desktop) but it actually really works for me.

Svadhyaya

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I've gone from enjoying it nicely pre-covid to being annoyed with it WFH. I don't go into gyms, clubs, etc. since the pandemic and it's shown where it's value is. I'll probably retire it until I get the vaccine.

Mammoth Jones

Oct 25, 2017
New York
That's fair, that's more or less what's been shocking to me as I've been using it - that I really love the usability. I thought that there wasn't much to appreciate since I carry a phone with me anyway(while I don't carry a desktop) but it actually really works for me.

Yup. I wasn't sure what to expect when I got my OG apple watch but it's been fantastic. When commuting it's nice because I don't need to bother taking my phone out the bag.

What I really wish I could do is sync it to two iPhones so I can get home/work related calls/texts/emails.

Curufinwe

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
DE