• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Le Dude

May 16, 2018
USA
Then why won't Sony let disabled gamers use their existing dualshocks?

It's bullshit.
Yeah, I remember there being complaints that you can't use a Dualshock 4 specifically because many disabled gamers have extensive modified their existing controllers that now can't be used on the PS5.

The fact that games don't require the Dualsense's features shows that they could have easily allowed the Dualshock 4 to work on PS5. The reason they didn't is money, simple as that.

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever
Sep 24, 2019
It's not. It's going to be the spark that other developers will use for innovation.
To an extent not on par with AP, though. Games themselves are still going to be developed around the idea that one using a third-party controller or one with features turned off will have the same core experience as somebody with all of the features turned on. It's what makes AP such a unique experience. You either go all-in on the features or you don't.

Afrikan

Oct 28, 2017
I'm sure they will be really cool for a lot of games, but for CoD I cannot imagine why anyone would use the adaptive triggers in multiplayer.

It does nothing but slow down the amount of time it takes you to pull the trigger.

Because it's fun? It's like you're shooting different types of guns. 🤷🏾‍♂️

With the visual feedback (recoil), sound feedback, and trigger/haptic feed back all coming together... it feels fun. Like the shock you get when you turn a corner and you're like oh shit and you fire away lol.

MrNelson

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I like them, but if I had to choose between DualShock 4 support for PS5 games and adaptive triggers, the triggers get the axe every time.

Oct 25, 2017
I think there's a really cool initial "wow" factor, and in Astro's Playroom they're actually really cool. However, in most games, the implementation has ranged from minimal impact at best to downright annoying at worst.

I just don't think I care after the first couple times of using it in a game that I want that pressure to be there in the trigger. It's kind of annoying, ESPECIALLY in online multiplayer shooters.

I can turn it off, of course, but I'm surprised that I found the haptic feedback WAY cooler. I thought adaptive triggers would blow my mind but so far... Eh?
How about you list the specific games you're not enjoying the adaptive trigger implementations in?

El-Suave

Oct 27, 2017
They made Call of Duty & Borderlands 3 10x better for me and I can't imagine going back to the old non-adaptive triggers at all.

Those two games, especially Borderlands, really benefit at least in non competitive scenarios. I also like the subtle implementation in Sackboy. Miles Morales is pretty meh in the controller department because you really notice it when a rumble effect isn't there when it should be, i.e. when you run up syscrapers. That's quite an immersion breaker for me.
But it's the earliest of early days folks, let the devs figure out how what implementation is best for them.

bushmonkey

Oct 29, 2017
I love them in Astros, like them in Bugsnax (the shutter click when using the camera feels nice!), didn't care for them in Spider-Man much (just felt like resistance for the sake of resistance) and I actively dislike them in Demon's Souls, it makes shooting arrows feel really odd.
Yes the Bugsnax implementation is underrated. It's very subtle but feels really satisfying.

aiswyda

Aug 11, 2018
It would be a cool accessibility feature to be able to change how much resistance is applied

Otherwise I think they're super fun. Astrobot is great and Bugsnax's camera click always made me smile. Genuinely awesome tech.

I love them. I'm dying to see how Kojima would implement them in a Death Stranding 2 or patch for the original.

Agreed. Honestly holding off on starting up death stranding for a while in hopes there's a patch with support for them....

Crumrin

Banned
Feb 27, 2020
Like many other things, adaptive triggers will be more suitable for some games than others. Over time, devs will learn what is most appropriate and what people don't like. The important thing is that the studios continue to explore and improve the controller's cool features and give players options.

Deleted member 84721

User requested account closure
Nov 5, 2020

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Astro's Playroom is going to be the peak of that implementation, too.

Nah, Call of Duty Cold War makes better use of the triggers than Astro's Playroom, it's just Astro's Playroom makes better use of the DualSense functionality as a whole, eg a combination of haptics, triggers, speakers, touchpad and mic.

Wait, what, Demon's Souls has adaptive triggers?

Is it off by default?

On by default, but mostly felt with bows. Overall it uses a fairly low level of resistance, so it's pretty subtle, but it is fairly useful in offering feedback on releasing the strings when you change your mind about firing an arrow.

Rey

Oct 27, 2017
lol what a bizarre little rant this is. Even without the haptic feedback and adaptive triggers, it's the best controller they've released by far.

Isn't that subjective? Quality wise it feels like a huge step up from the Dualshock 4 but if u were a huge fan of the playstation controllers this one is totally different grip/feel wise. To me personally its leaning more towards a xbox feeling grip although its been a while since I held a xbox contoller.

Oct 26, 2017
UK
Nah, Call of Duty Cold War makes better use of the triggers than Astro's Playroom, it's just Astro's Playroom makes better use of the DualSense functionality as a whole, eg a combination of haptics, triggers, speakers, touchpad and mic.

On by default, but mostly felt with bows. Overall it uses a fairly low level of resistance, so it's pretty subtle, but it is fairly useful in offering feedback on releasing the strings when you change your mind about firing an arrow.

Weird I've been using bows a ton and not noticed anything.

Shoeless

Oct 27, 2017
They made Call of Duty & Borderlands 3 10x better for me and I can't imagine going back to the old non-adaptive triggers at all.

I have to admit, I was surprised that the PS5 version of Borderlands 3 actually took the controllers into account. The guns actually "feel" different now when you use them with this controller. It's a hard thing to get across in words, but the haptic trigger and vibrating functionality really distinguish shotguns from pistols, from sniper rifles, etc.

Astral

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Is it kinda like the pressure sensitive buttons of the DualShock 2? I loved that in the Metal Gear games.

MrNelson

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
lol what a bizarre little rant this is. Even without the haptic feedback and adaptive triggers, it's the best controller they've released by far.
Considering it is now a pain to play using R1/L1 in shooters because of how the controller is shaped, I'm inclined to disagree.

WhtR88t

May 14, 2018
Isn't that subjective? Quality wise it feels like a huge step up from the Dualshock 4 but if u were a huge fan of the playstation controllers this one is totally different grip/feel wise. To me personally its leaning more towards a xbox feeling grip although its been a while since I held a xbox contoller.
The Xbox controller makes my hand cramp during longer play sessions.

hydruxo

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I love the haptics but I'm not crazy about the adaptive triggers. Definitely a case by case basis in terms of what devs implement them well and which don't.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Considering it is now a pain to play using R1/L1 in shooters because of how the controller is shaped, I'm inclined to disagree.
The Xbox controller makes my hand cramp during longer play sessions.

No single controller is going to be for everyone, especially if someone has atypical hands, grip, use of fingers, resistances etc.

Most people however are going to get on fine with both controllers, and obviously a rare few like both of you, will not.

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
I turn them down to medium, cuz the little bastards are strong. My experiences:

Demons- very sparing use Would not miss them if they weren't there.

Bugsnax - basic usage, but cool and fun. things like the way closing and opening the trap feels like ratcheting down on something.

Astrobot - incredible demonstration, but probably not a realistic representation of the usage. The thing is going off all the time and hard. Plus there's so many little details put into it I don't know how many things we're going to feel like that. Doesn't mean it's the best though....

WRC9 - fabulous. It's unexpectedly good, conveys information, not distracting. And best of all, it's a realistic demonstration of it being well implemented without going balls to the wall like astrobot.

Deleted member 75819

User requested account closure
Banned
Jul 22, 2020
lmao it's not.

It's pretty amazing actually having that kind of feedback. Can't wait for more games to implement some form of it, the sample size is really small to properly judge the feature as a whole IMO.

Also if it is you can turn it off. /shrug
Doesn't really sound like my kind of feature. I'd prefer triggers that have a consistent resistance. Cool feature otherwise though, I can see the value and definitely good it can be disabled, especially for someone like my wife who has frequent hand and joint pain!

snausages

Feb 12, 2018
Well I've not tried it but I bet it would be well cool in Metro Exodus or Death Stranding, basically anything which isn't super quick reflex stuff all the time.

Metro has that one cool gun you have to pump up, DS has the whole leaning and tilting your package load.

One thing I would hate this in is a Souls type game

Nov 1, 2017

In your opinion. In my opinion they've yet to beat the Dualshock 3, the triggers on that pad weren't the best and they had a nasty habit of being pressed when setting the controller down but it had a decent battery life and more importantly had the start/select buttons in the right place. Decades of playing console games since the NES has firmly conditioned my thumbs to expect the start/select buttons in the middle of the pad and i never got used to the DS4 pad as a result. I loath their current placement with a passion and it doesn't help that i've pressed start a few times when my thumb strays too far from the square button. I also literally never take screenshots or videos cause i'm not that kind of person so them having a dedicated share button sitting where the select button should be also winds me up, but i know i'm the minority on that one.

And the only reason they are placed in that god awful position is because of a pointless unwieldy touchpad that like i said i've yet to be seen used in any decent way whatsoever. Honestly the current style of Sony pads can do one.

Dizastah

Oct 25, 2017
Astro's Playroom is going to be the peak of that implementation, too.
To an extent not on par with AP, though. Games themselves are still going to be developed around the idea that one using a third-party controller or one with features turned off will have the same core experience as somebody with all of the features turned on. It's what makes AP such a unique experience. You either go all-in on the features or you don't.
How do you know this 2 weeks into this generation? You seriously think that no Sony first party game for the rest of PS5's life will take advantage of the Dual Sense to the extent or greater than that of AP?

FusedAtoms

Jul 21, 2018
I looooooove it. COD Cold War as a game is decent but the adaptive triggers have me booting it up daily for a few matches just because its so much fun feeling the different weapons in the triggers and I still do well!

I bought Siege and all the dlc on PS5 just to use the adaptive triggers even though I own it on pc and I used to regularly play on there.

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever
Sep 24, 2019
How do you know this 2 weeks into this generation? You seriously think that no Sony first party game for the rest of PS5's life will take advantage of the Dual Sense to the extent or greater than that of AP?
AP was designed around the DualSense. That's the game, a showcase of what it can do. I think other first-party games will leverage the toolkit here and there, but AP went 100% on the features. Unless other first-party games come out with the full suite of DualSense features first and the game itself second, then I'll be the first person in line to say I'm wrong.

SP.

Oct 27, 2017
They are really terrible in Bugsnax, the ball item makes the trigger rattle like hell. Great in Astro though.

Cliff Steele

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Cold War feels pretty next gen thanks to the DualSense. It's absolutely amazing in that game and it is a huge part of the experience.

Status
Not open for further replies.