• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

What do you think?

• Yeah, it's an overrated film

Votes: 70 13.0%
  • You are wrong

Votes: 384 71.1%
  • It's OK

Votes: 86 15.9%

• Total voters

Pau

Self-Appointed Godmother of Bruce Wayne's Children
Oct 25, 2017
music in that movie hits me hard for some reason, it's all so sad.
Yeah, it really does. Years ago, I listened to the score for the first time since watching the movie as a small child and just started crying. Same with Once Upon a Forest (which was also James Horner).

Vault

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
its even sadder knowing what happened to the little girl who played Ducky.

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
IN A WORLD

FULL OF WRONG TAKES

ONE PERSON DARES TO BE THE WRONGEST

DRIVEN BY MADNESS CAUSED BY ISOLATION

ONE POSTER PUTS PUT AN OP SO INCORRECT

INCORRECTNESS ITSELF RETIRED

THIS SPRING

RESET ERA PRESENTS

LAND BEFORE TIME HOT TAKE: THE WRONGINING

Wild Card

Oct 26, 2017
absolutely hated it when i watched it when i was like 5, was like the most boring thing imaginable

Soundscream

Nov 2, 2017
Do you honestly find this art style nice?

aR6GJGP.png
Corona wild man. Got people talking shit about Don Bluth's art style.

SMH

arcadepc

Banned
Dec 28, 2019
I watched it on cinema on a limited screening (original 35mm format with hisses and breaks) and room was packed with adults! One guy behind me bragged to his friends how he owned all movies. A woman next to me sang the ending song during the end credits. Only kid in the room I could spot was a toddler that cried for other reasons.
So yes, the appeal to our generation was important

American Tail was a pretty good movie and a bit of a tear jerker :P
Fievel goes West was even better. I saw the sequel on cinema as a kid and I was the sole viewer. Have both on BD, though unfortunately picture quality for all three is not up to HD remaster standards

Incidentally, mine too. I saw Oliver And Company that year as well, both movies came out on November 18, 1988, but i really only remember the experience of seeing LBT.

releasing LBT the same day as Disney's new animated film either takes some real stones or tells you how bad Disney was doing pre-Little Mermaid (which was the next year!)

FWIW, LBT grossed $84 Million to O&Co's $74 Million.

We went to see Oliver too but tickets were sold out despite the wait and we were dissapointed. Dad got us tickets for another movie that was playing and we lost the first 10 minutes as a result. It was Asterix et Le Coup du menhir. Very good and funny movie but we were more in the mood for the kitten. Saw Oliver the following week and room was full and we waited at the queue for half an hour too. I liked it a lot, one of my favourite movies. Even more than little mermaid. Had seen a poster for lbt but our dad did not take us to that movie. Probably I should have asked him but there was not an urge to watch it like with Oliver.

PHOENIXZERO

Oct 29, 2017
I haven't seen it since I was a kid after I found out that the girl who voiced Ducky (and Anna Marie in All Dogs Go to Heaven) and her mother were brutally murdered by her father.

I loved Oliver and Company back when it came out but last time I saw it, it didn't hold up very well.

Ecotic

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Don Bluth's films are all too dark for children. The colors are muted, the imagery frightening at times, the music sad, sad scenes. I'm glad kids today get bright and happier animated films.

Jegriva

Banned
Sep 23, 2019
It's also the Don Bluth movie where characters keeps their tongue inside their mouth, therefore hist best movie.

Biggersmaller

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Minneapolis
Littlefoot is an extremely charismatic toddler that the audience is forced love. Then, his amazing mother dies. Slowly. He weeps while snuggling her corpse in the pouring rain. Then, spends the rest of the first act stooped in a true depression.

This movie treats death brilliantly. No condescension. No pretense. Up and Coco aint got shit on this movie when it comes to dealing with death.

The Land Before Time was made by Pizza Hut to sell deep-dish pizzas.

Jerome's alpha energy is what sold Pizza Hut pizza. Straight pimp.

sensui-tomo

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's better than the disney movies that came out around that time. Iirc this went up against Oliver and company and between the two... this felt like a disney movie at heart.

Oct 27, 2017
I hated that movie since I was a child, never enjoyed them. That being said, you are watching a movie for like 6 year olds and should know what you are getting

Tigress

Oct 25, 2017
Washington
The first one is the worst. Prepare for the tonal whiplash between that depressing movie and it's fifty sequels.

Can't agree with this at all. I have he exact opposite opinion. The first one was the best. The others all felt like they were trying to cash in on the first one's reputation and also that kids will watch anything. As some one said the first few sequels were ok (but still no true wan good as the first) but the rest were outright horrible.

Desi

Oct 30, 2017
Damn, this thread got me feeling really emotional. Loved this movie so much as a child. It was in the constant rotation with a few others; Ferngully, Aladdin, Lion King, The Rescuers, etc.

nitewulf

Nov 29, 2017
I just watched The Land Before Time for the first time in my life (I'm 36 years old) and... it wasn't that good?

First of all, and in my personal opinion, the animation is not that good, and some of the art style is horrendous. Also, the scene where the mother dinosaur dies wasn't that impactful.

I think the best part of the flick is the running time, because it means I only wasted 69 minutes of my life in this.
Not meant for you. It's wonderful as a kid.

Dr. Mario

Oct 27, 2017
Netherlands
It had anthropomorphic dinosaurs, which was enough back then to become a classic, but the film itself was just okay. Secret of NIMH though *chefs kiss*, legit better than Disney movies at the time.

Gush

Nov 17, 2017
Don Bluth rules and some of you besmirching his good name should be ashamed of yourselves

The man made Secret of NIMH and All Dogs Go to Heaven, come on

Oct 26, 2017
I'm afraid to rewatch An American Tale. I don't want to ruin part of my childhood (I love that series).
I rewatched American tale when i was 26 or so and still loved it. And not just because of nostalgia because i rewatched great mouse detective and all dogs go to heaven around the same time and found both of them very disappointing.

I never liked land before time, even as a kid

apocat

Oct 27, 2017
Don Bluth's films are all too dark for children. The colors are muted, the imagery frightening at times, the music sad, sad scenes. I'm glad kids today get bright and happier animated films.

I loved darker childrens literature and films as a kid. Children gets depressed and think about death too, and having narratives to help you cope with those issues without being condescending is important even for younger kids.

Deleted member 4247

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I loved it as a kid, then I watched it again a few months back, and yeah... wish I hadn't. It's not very good. Another beloved childhood memory ruined.