• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

siteseer

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
giphy.gif

Dreamwriter

Oct 27, 2017
For those bringing up the whole Big Bang Theory...well, theory, that Indiana Jones did nothing and the nazis would have opened the box and killed themselves, that's not really the case. Indiana Jones' efforts are what convinced them to open the box. If none of that had happened, if they easily got the medallion and found the box and left with it, they would have taken the box back to Hitler without opening it beforehand, and chances are when it was opened officially, the person doing so wouldn't have gotten frustrated and reached into the box pulling out its contents (which was against the rules), getting everyone's face melted.

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Indy's relationships have always been awful across all three. The worst offender is the forced kiss in crusade, (which is my favorite one). Some shit hasn't aged well.

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Indiana Jones is simultaneously a national treasure and a terrible archeologist.

He's the kind of guy who's a total dick but will always do the right thing

Let's all assume Bronson is worse than Belloc as he has proven here tonight, but to be fair, Indy does glance at ancient artifacts and smash them because he's convinced, with no double-checking that they are fake and have better artifacts INSIDE despite the fake shell itself being four hundred years old. Also, doesn't believe in supernatural anything despite having encoutnered ghosts, aliens, undead grail knights, teleportation, apportation and a box with the wrath of god in it.

OP
OP

Deleted member 42

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
Let's all assume Bronson is worse than Belloc as he has proven here tonight, but to be fair, Indy does glance at ancient artifacts and smash them because he's convinced, with no double-checking that they are fake and have better artifacts INSIDE despite the fake shell itself being four hundred years old. Also, doesn't believe in supernatural anything despite having encoutnered ghosts, aliens, undead grail knights, teleportation, apportation and a box with the wrath of god in it.

He really is mad stupid lol

How come it was totally ok for those two guys TO DIE in the beginning hunt like gawddamnit

Also I am better than Belloc because he literally had Indy dead to rights like four times in this movie and never sealed the deal

meowdi gras

Feb 24, 2018
"Morally ambiguous" characters are more interesting from an analytical point of view. Then again, these films don't do a whole lot to give their hero very much depth.

Sephzilla

Herald of Stoptimus Crime
Oct 25, 2017
Hot take: Raiders is actually the worst of the original three movies.

He's definitely more heroic in the sequels and he's also more relevant to the ending, unlike in Raiders

Keldroc

Oct 27, 2017
The Indy films have always been fun campy films. I never understood the hate for the fourth film. The tone is the same as the previous ones.

Temple of Doom is not a fun, campy film. It's a dark, mean-spirited slog through racist stereotypes and needlessly nasty behavior from characters (and filmmakers) who should know better. Crystal Skull, for all its faults, is a better Indy movie than Temple.

Hot take: Raiders is actually the worst of the original three movies.

Absolute fucking madness.

OP
OP

Deleted member 42

Banned
Oct 24, 2017
tenor.gif

Yeah idk , Indy and his movies were perfect movies to me. I never turn them off while channel surfing.

I definitely see the appeal to it now

But him being so shitty is a real tough mountain for me to climb tbh, I can square away basically everything except the underage relationship thing and the misogyny

ZackieChan

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
User Banned (1 Day): Hostility; Previous Warning for Hostility
Being an "Internet character" must be fucking exhausting. Maintaining a weird posting style, coming up with weird threads and ridiculous hot takes on a regular basis, etc.

OP
OP

Deleted member 42

Banned
Oct 24, 2017
Being an "Internet character" must be fucking exhausting. Maintaining a weird posting style, coming up with weird threads and ridiculous hot takes on a regular basis, etc.

I actually take severe umbrage to this because I don't do any of those things, and like I literally just said:

I definitely see the appeal to it now

But him being so shitty is a real tough mountain for me to climb tbh, I can square away basically everything except the underage relationship thing and the misogyny

I have similar issues with Connery Bond and other characters from the 70s-80s

Miss me with this bullshit

Bor Gullet

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The worst offense is that if you took out Indy the plot wouldn't have changed at all.

Except Marion would have died, and the ark wouldn't have ended up in US custody, which is Indy's mission.

Regardless, even if it were true (it isn't, but let's just pretend) Indiana Jones is the driving force of the plot. Without him the film doesn't even exist.

Deleted member 5666

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Without Indy they would of had both sides of the medallion to read instead of the dude's burnt hand. Its been a while, so I might have it wrong.
How would they have the Medallion? I always took it as they showed up at Marion's because they were tailing Indy because they knew the US govt enlisted him.

Except Marion would have died, and the ark wouldn't have ended up in US custody, which is the point of the film.
Great point as well, the US govt would never have got the ark without Marion & Indy.

OP
OP

Deleted member 42

Banned
Oct 24, 2017
He's definitely central to the plot of the film lol

I just thought it was weird that he didn't rescue Marion and get outta there the first chance he got, considering

He is one person
They are an army

The ending is what it is though, hubris gets ya ded

Nov 1, 2017
I think its important to note that Indiana Jones as a character is supposed to be an homage to '30s pulp adventure novels. Its not surprising to me that he acts like one of the heros from those novels would but probably a lot better.

Grug

Oct 26, 2017
Love Indy but yeah society has moved on quite a bit from a lot of things that were acceptable back then. Would be very different films if made today.

Even the "it belongs in a museum" stuff is problematic as fuck now.

Bor Gullet

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Temple of Doom is not a fun, campy film. It's a dark, mean-spirited slog through racist stereotypes and needlessly nasty behavior from characters (and filmmakers) who should know better. Crystal Skull, for all its faults, is a better Indy movie than Temple

You attacked Sephzilla hot take only to replace it with a worse one.

There's not a single aspect of Crystal Skull I'd put over Temple of Doom.

Pacing, action, setting, cinematography, score, set design, and hell, most of the characters are far superior to Crystal Skull. Short Round and Indy have a better father/son relationship then Mutt.

OP
OP

Deleted member 42

Banned
Oct 24, 2017
I vaguely recall seeing Crystal Skull and being very impressed with Shia's knife flipping

I may watch it again

Balphon

Oct 25, 2017
The arc of Indiana Jones from kind of a dick in Raiders to literal boyscout in Last Crusade sure is something.

Tebunker

Oct 25, 2017
I always felt Jones was a flawed character in all the movies and definitely a selfish one, it's supposed to be the roguish charm or whatever. They are still fun movies to watch as long as you get that yes Indy is a selfish wank at times but who also does the right thing, and it is kind of reinforced when you meet his dad in the Last Crusade as someone of a similar type.

River Phoenix as young Indiana in Last Crusade was great, and you know, the Young Indiana Jones shows weren't terrible either.