• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Excuse me

Oct 30, 2017
It was ok. But not his best, I think his latest movies have bit too long run time. Especially when you know there is going to be explosion of violence towards the end and it will drag for 20 minutes.

But Tarantino has it's own style and all of his movies are worth the watch. Personally I would rank Hateful 8 as his best then Kill Bill 1 and third place shared with Pulp and Death Proof. I admit that I'm more of a Kurt Russell fan then Tarantino fan. Rest range from ok to bad.

DashReindeer

Perfect World
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Surprised how many people have no knowledge of the Manson Family murders. Did those of you who were unaware know who Charles Manson was? What did you think he did if you had heard of him, but not the murders? Also, did you just thing Marilyn Manson was some dude with a weird alliterative name? Or maybe you haven't heard of him either and I'm just old and out of touch.

Maybe I'm the weird one for having so much interest in the whole thing when I was younger. This was a formative part of modern American history and had a widespread impact on the youth of that era. It is generally regarded as a symbolic end to the idealism of the '60s and the beginning of the nihilism of the '70s.

That's why using this event was so perfect for the story Tarantino was trying to make. I was worried about how he would handle the subject matter when I first heard about this movie, but left the theater elated at what I had just watched. This is definitely a piece of historical fiction, but it's the "historical" aspect of it that really elevates the work.

Jun 22, 2019
User Banned (3 Days): Hostility towards another user, Prior infraction for similar behavior
So what is it in this video you find valuable. Legit question because I'm not going to invest 24 minutes of my time on the basis of that video description and your "I liked this review"

"I'm not gonna watch it just throw a bunch of asinine insults and then expect you to write me a summary because I'm entitled AF."

Just don't watch it and move the hell on, dude. Tarantino isn't gonna fuck you.

Mod Edit: Reverted back to the original pre-edit version for clarity.

Last edited by a moderator:

thediamondage

Oct 25, 2017
its a love letter to hollywood with a lot of "easter eggs" / "insider nods" depending on how you view that kinda stuff. If you love old school Hollywood then it probably is beautiful, if you don't really care (like most people) then yeah its a pretty laid back and boring film. There is also a bit of meta on how America shifted from one period to another (loss of innocence, etc), but I'm not really smart enough to know that much about it.

I thought it was just ok on first watch, I was kinda bored for big chunks of the movie too. Reading more about a lot of the history behind the RL people in the movie, the locations, the events, etc definitely makes it more interesting. I think I'll enjoy it a lot more on second watch at home, but when Tarantino releases his 4 part, 4 hour Netflix version. I don't think I'd enjoy sitting down and watching again in theaters.

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not gonna watch it just throw a bunch of asinine insults and then expect you to write me a summary because I'm entitled AF."

You posted a 24 minute video with no context.

It's not entitlement to ask you to talk about what you think is of value in a near 30 min review you are recommending... especially when it's got such a ridiculous description that claims the film has a mean heart... and video descriptions are supposed to be an argument for why a person should watch it.

This is a discussion forum, me asking you to discuss stuff is not entitlement it's basic conversation

Tarantino isn't gonna fuck you.

Lmao what the fuck.

The first part of you username suits you.

Last edited:

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I thought it was boring too. Actually thinking back on it I'd probably put it at the bottom of his movies along with Jackie brown.

Liquidsnake

Oct 27, 2017
Tarantino has lost his edge a little, Its the perfect example of becoming to happy with yourself, and too successful to keep the drive alive. No?

Fonst

Nov 16, 2017
And I really don't like it

One thing that surprised me though was the amount of people that watched today. My cinema hasn't been full like this since endgame

Anyways yeah the film did absolutely nothing for me. I was intrigued with the first part but then everything kept on dragging on and on and it felt like whole lot of nothing and like nothing was happening. Was there even a plot? I don't think there was. I could feel the aura of complete boredom from the audience, a few people started to talk and people just hopped onto their phones, most people just were not interested. I don't even know what Margot Robbie's character was even about. I can't really remember anything she did in that film. The pacing was extremely odd and the way the movie was cut up was strange. The movie felt pretentious in a way.

The final act was quite exciting though. Won't spoil it. Only thing I can say is Brad completely ate up his role. He is the star of this film and it's not even close imo.

Maybe it's an acquired taste? Or maybe I'm an outlier. But I definitely did not like this film at all.

I haven't seen this film (for the reason to follow) but like me, you might not like Tarantino films. I've seen a good number of them and they all were just okay or bad and made me question why people were so impressed with this guy's work. I got to a point where I just know I don't like his directorial vision so I don't bother with it.

A lot of people don't like how Michael Bay shoots films, that's fine.
We should also be fine with people not liking how other (Tarantino for example) shoot films.

Midramble

Force of Habit
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
San Francisco
I'm not even 16. Fight club is legitimately a powerful film imo. It has my favourite quotes and the last few scenes were just insane imo

Powerful in what way? I thought it was a movie with a strong message back in my college years. These days I feel the same but I have the opinion that the message it provides is very different then what I thought in my younger years.

For instance the quotes are meant to be cheesy fascist hyper masculine one liners. The book made a much stronger point of Tyler being an idiot.

Anton Sugar

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Surprised how many people have no knowledge of the Manson Family murders. Did those of you who were unaware know who Charles Manson was? What did you think he did if you had heard of him, but not the murders? Also, did you just thing Marilyn Manson was some dude with a weird alliterative name? Or maybe you haven't heard of him either and I'm just old and out of touch.
I was born in '85 and learned about the Manson murders mostly via Marilyn Manson coming onto the scene and all the parental outrage over him. I can't remember if it was that or The Beatles/Helter Skelter that introduced me to him.
Tarantino has lost his edge a little, Its the perfect example of becoming to happy with yourself, and too successful to keep the drive alive. No?
It does feel like his most personal film, for better or worse. It's surprisingly conservative in how wistful it is, too.

Midramble

Force of Habit
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
San Francisco
Actually, this thread just made me realize that there is a whole generation of people that know this meme/gif

giphy.gif

But have no idea who Charles Manson is...

AegonSnake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
its his worst movie.

watch the rest of the movies in this order

1) Pulp Fiction
2) Kill Bill 1 and 2
3) Reservoir Dogs
4) Django
5) Inglorious Basterds
6) Death Proof

Skip Hateful 8 and buy and burn a copy of jackie brown.

Fluffhead14

Oct 27, 2017
most tarantino films are easily digestible, fun flicks that are extremely well made, quotable, violent, etc but tend not to mean much in the grand scheme of things.

can't say that about this one. i've thought more about this film and its themes than any of his previous work. can't wait to see it again.

Fjordson

Oct 25, 2017
People ranking this or Jackie Brown near the bottom of QT's filmography is scary.

Pulp Fiction, Jackie Brown and Once Upon a Time = top 3 Tarantino tbh

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
most tarantino films are easily digestible, fun flicks that are extremely well made, quotable, violent, etc but tend not to mean much in the grand scheme of things.

can't say that about this one. i've thought more about this film and its themes than any of his previous work. can't wait to see it again.

It's also his least violent. My Mom hates graphic violence but absolutely loved this. Even the little violence there was she grooved to because of how cathartic and somewhat funny it was.

The climax of this film is probably top 10 best climaxes ever

gutter_trash

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Montreal
it doesn't have a story and the arc that he is trying to draw us in doesn't work until the very end

it`s like slogging through 90% of content to just get to the 10% juicy part

Certinfy

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I've seen a few of his films and thought all were more or less trash. Django was alright until the end though. Doubt I'll ever see Once Upon a Time, already heard so many others say the movie was dull and that they didn't like it.

ExInferus

Nov 14, 2017
watch Kill Bill and Inglourious Basterds, maybe Django too. I'd say that these are probably the most accessible QT movies, especially for a young person. Then Pulp Fiction.

Jackie Brown is a good movie but a terrible suggestion in this case.

Last edited:

Dennis8K

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The fact that so many people hate it makes me think I may like it.

To me, the only real great Tarantino movie has been Jackie Brown. All the others, while good, have always felt very overrated to me.

Once Upon A Time On ResetEra everyone was wrong but me.

Moppeh

Oct 28, 2017

It seems like he lost some edge and gained maturity, which seems like a good tradeoff to me. It's hard for artists to reclaim their former glory so it tends to be better for them to evolve a bit. OUATIH is still very Tarantino-y, but it is patient and really possesses a sense of place in a way that his other films don't.

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
The fact that so many people hate it makes me think I may like it.

To me, the only real great Tarantino movie has been Jackie Brown. All the others, while good, have always felt very overrated to me.

Once Upon A Time On ResetEra everyone was wrong but me.

Jackie Brown always sat as completely different than the rest, OUATIH is even more completely different

So yeah if Jackie Brown is the one you love, give this a shot for sure.

Mar 23, 2019
No I have never heard of the manson family. First time hearing about it was in this thread

This is 100% why the movie felt so slow for you. I'm 32 and I've heard about Charles Manson, but didn't know all the details. It was actually my friends that explained that it was them in the movie. I'm a big fan of Tarantino and his movies so I liked the movie because it had his style, but I didn't "get it" until I made the connection with the actual murders. If you're still interested in his movies I'd recommend you check out Kill Bill vol 1&2 or Pulp Fiction, they're probably his most popular films and are enjoyable on their on without any prior knowledge.

P. S. Me and friends had a good laugh counting all the feet we saw. Never change Tarantino lol.

abellwillring

Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
I mean obviously it's too late at this point, but yeah, I would not recommend this to anyone as their first Tarantino. I think some of his movies have some straightforward appeal, but this is not one of them. The meandering style is even different by his standards. If you're a fan of him in general, you can appreciate just soaking up the era that is depicted and the way he's done it. I absolutely loved it personally but I love his movies in general.

Also, yikes @ being at a movie theater where people are talking and using their phones. These people sound like savages.

Oct 26, 2017
Mushroom Kingdom
My friend thought the movie was boring and I realized how much less impactful the movie probably is for people who don't know the history behind the reality of what happened...and why its a "once upon a time"

Also, most if not all critics know the history beforehand. I'm curious to see a review from a critic that doesn't know about one hollywood's biggest tragedies if anyone knows of one

Defect

Oct 25, 2017
"I'm not gonna watch it just throw a bunch of asinine insults and then expect you to write me a summary because I'm entitled AF."

Just don't watch it and move the hell on, dude. Tarantino isn't gonna fuck you.

Mod Edit: Reverted back to the original pre-edit version for clarity.
What a card

latest

I wasn't really a fan of this or The Hateful Eight unfortunately. Loved Kill Bill and Pulp Fiction though.

Oct 27, 2017
Henderson, NV
OUATIH was the QT movie I enjoyed the least from his filmography, but also the most fascinating to watch as a filmmaker. QT made considerable efforts not to rely on what he has done in the past. It was a meandering slice-of-life Hollywood love letter more interested in capturing a time and place than any particular story, and didn't rely on plot struture scrambling for the zing. For all of the driving and throwaway character bits, the movie felt a lot closer to recent GTA games than what I'm used to from QT. It makes sense, though. Driving and Cars is an essential part of the LA culture, especially at that time. That's not a criticism. Just an observation about a choice.

OUATIH was also dialogue light so it didn't play to his greatest gift as a dialogue magician. Frankly, OUATIH was the most naked QT has ever been, which was mesmerizing. His love/reverence for Hollywood was front and center. The details were insane. You like Hollywood and know even a little about the Mansons, this movie might hit your sweet spot. For me? Knowing both, and not loving Hollywood, this did nothing to keep me interested.

QT is like Spike Lee or Clint Eastwood here, too. His personal feelings kept seeping in, which was interesting to see. QT makes plain his excuses for Roman Polanski. The world of OUATIH was full of hypersexual teens disguised as women that only an uber-man of iron resolve like Brad Pitt's Cliff Booth could turn away. How, asks QT, could poor Roman Polanski stand a chance? There were sexy feet EVERYWHERE.

And in this fairy tale, the Once Upon a Time part of the story, the Inglorious Basterds-level violence was supposed to be cathartic and 'fun'. Was it? I remember distinctly going, "DAMN, QT" when the hero smashes a character's head repeatedly against a fireplace mantle. Then again, the violence in the pool. I winced at that last 'callback gag'.

I'd just rewatched The Hateful 8 the day before seeing OUATIH, and considering his filmography, I'm pretty sure QT is working out his feelings about women on camera right in front of us. He's a troubled and fascinating filmmaker. I'd love to see the rumored Bounty Law that QT wrote full scripts for. Watching Michael Madsen's delivery in the 'fake show' was one of the 'classic' QT moments in the film. Watching QT re-work his toolset and play with his comfort level as a creative will only make him better. It's a shame that he's stopping at '10'.

That said, I really didn't like OUATIH, but I loved studying it.

My ranking:

ABSOLUTE BEST: Jackie Brown

Very Good: Pulp Fiction, Hateful 8

Middle Guilty Pleasures: True Romance (it counts), Kill Bill, Reservoir Dogs, From Dusk Till Dawn (also counts)

Least: Death Proof, Inglorious Bastards, Once Upon A Time in Hollywood

Offends me: Django Unchained. Honorable mention: True Romance (for one scene)

luca

Oct 25, 2017
I read the wikipedia entry the Charles Manson murders in the 30 minutes I had before entering the cinema yesterday, and I knew exactly who everyone were from Tax to Squeezy to Tate etc. and the ranch and all the girls and the manson family. And the ending was tense because of it, because I expected something else but was happy to see the movie subvert my expectations. I loved every single bit of it, and it's probably my movie of the year thus far, that or Midsommar.

Btw, when Margot said "welcome to Denmark" in one of her in-movies, that was totally the city in South Carolina right? Cause I think 90% of my audience thought it was the country Denmark. But I'm unsure.

Rick's "I'm Rick fucking Dalton" after the girl told him it was the best performance she had seen was funny as hell, and so was Cliff's session with Bruce, Rick's breakdown in the van and the whole ending.

luca

Oct 25, 2017
The country. The movie, The Wrecking Crew, takes place there.
Oh damn, that's so cool then! But was it really Margot in that scene or was it supposed to look like a double? Cause I think they used that trick on purpose for some of the in-movies. I couldn't recognize Margot in the movies she watched at the cinema.

Rabalder.

Dec 8, 2018
Watched it last night. Absolutely fucking loved it from start to finish. It's the most Tarantino movie possible, which can be a good thing or a bad thing depending on your taste.

Guzim

Oct 25, 2017
Oh damn, that's so cool then! But was it really Margot in that scene or was it supposed to look like a double? Cause I think they used that trick on purpose for some of the in-movies. I couldn't recognize Margot in the movies she watched at the cinema.
That was actually Sharon Tate.

mxbison

Banned
Jan 14, 2019
I haven't watched it yet, couldn't stand the dialogs in his last couple of movies. felt like a parody of himself....