• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

djplaeskool

Oct 26, 2017
I still have a lot of affection for Batman Forever.
I do feel like TLJ was a bit too cartoonish as Two-Face (ironically, Two-Face in TAS was pitch-perfect)
Personally, I adored Carrey as The Riddler, though. Kilmer was also an alright Batman, not much in the way of complaints from me.
The movie is an interesting study in Silver Age comic re-invention. In that, I think Schumacher succeeded in painting Gotham in the various colors of pure caricature. Loud visuals, punchy soundtrack and score, over-the-top hijinks. Most of it clicked with me back then.

Last edited:

AliceAmber

Drive-in Mutant
Administrator
May 2, 2018
I have a bit of a soft spot with this movie. I enjoy the soundtrack, and some of the visuals are really neat.

Also I agree about Val.

Oct 28, 2017
I'm surprised people actually enjoy the musical score. I typically really like Elliot Goldenthal's scores (Alien 3 is fire) but his Batman score just gives me a headache.

Lunchbox-

Nov 2, 2017
bEast Coast
Michael Keaton > Val Kilmer > West > Bale > Afleck > Clooney > twilight guy

with a better director, ice man would've been number 1. Jim Carrey also deserved better

Gunny T Highway

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Canada
I actually enjoy Batman Forever quite a bit. It does not hold a candle to the Burton movies, but it is still an enjoyable experience that harkens back to the Adam West Batman era in some respects.

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's okay. Val did a good job. Nicole was super sexy. The soundtrack was amazing.

Jim Carrey and TLJ were completely miscast.
I really don't get this sentiment. Carrey and Jones are cast well for what the filmmakers were going for. Kilmer is about as exciting as a sack of flour.

If you want to talk bad casting then Batman And Robin is the movie to look at
Michael Keaton > Val Kilmer > West > Bale > Afleck > Clooney > twilight guy

with a better director, ice man would've been number 1. Jim Carrey also deserved better
First of all, you can't judge Robert Pattinson's performance when his movie isn't even out yet.

second, "Twilight Guy" is such a ridiculous thing to call him when he has been in a lot of great indie films since then and clearly has chops. You're putting him below Clooney just because he was in a popular YA adaptation for girls?

In fact, looking at the rest of the cast for that film should tell you Matt Reeves knows what he is doing

Last edited:
Feb 1, 2018
Texas
I really don't get this sentiment. Carrey and Jones are cast well for what the filmmakers were going for. Kilmer is about as exciting as a sack of flour.

If you want to talk bad casting then Batman And Robin is the movie to look at
And I'm saying "what they were going for" was wrong, in my opinion.

Also, that Kilmer comment is puzzling. He's one of the only things people praise about the movie. Kind of like Ewan as Obi-Wan in the SW prequels.

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
And I'm saying "what they were going for" was wrong, in my opinion.

Also, that Kilmer comment is puzzling. He's one of the only things people praise about the movie. Kind of like Ewan as Obi-Wan in the SW prequels.
Why was the tone of the film the wrong one to pursue? It's building off what Burton was doing in Returns but with more neon and less leather stitching.

The problem, IMO, isn't what they were going for but rather that the script just simply isn't very good. And for that matter, the Batman Returns script is fucking awful.

kilmer just has no personality in that film to me and I think his performance betrays his lack of interest in the movie

Ewan's obi-wan is standing above a bunch of wooden performances, Kilmer's Batman is wooden in contrast to the other performances in Forever

Last edited:

Biggersmaller

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Minneapolis
Batman can legitimately be campy as all hell or treated very seriously. This is peak camp Batman. I really like it. I like it far more than Returns and B&R.

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm surprised people actually enjoy the musical score. I typically really like Elliot Goldenthal's scores (Alien 3 is fire) but his Batman score just gives me a headache.
I dunno, i really love how bombastic it is with those braying horns. It suits the camp and the gaudiness of the film's visual aesthetic.

I hadn't heard it in.... forever.... and when I watched the film for the first time in many years last week and that score kicked in I was just like "YES THIS OWNS"

btw, i stumbled across this mash-up arrangement/medley of the various Batman scores and it sounds amazing

zma1013

Oct 27, 2017
Best thing about this movie was the awesome McDonalds promotional glasses.

nZiK9cEaJ5ASn9cZgW6YDS1XIHplIrbKUdwfiSiMsUU.jpg

Salty Soup

Oct 25, 2017
I must have watched this wonderful train wreck 100 times with my VHS copy recorded from Laser Disc. I had the soundtrack too. Maybe I should get the bluray. Also this song isn't good, it's fucking good.
youtu.be

The Flaming Lips - Bad Days [Official Music Video]

"Bad Days" is featured on The Flaming Lips album "Due To High Expectations...The Flaming Lips Are Providing Needles For Your Balloons". Listen here: https://...

Chopchop

Oct 25, 2017
It was a weird mix of having decent plot threads to work with for a serious movie, while going full-on intentionally corny with the villains at the same time.

It's okay, but it probably would have been a better film if they committed to one tone or the other.

Soap

Oct 27, 2017
One thing I will say is that I may have issues with the style of Gotham in these films (so much neon), but at least if felt unique and interesting unlike the Nolan films.

Reeks

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, that's what has mostly struck me re-watching Batman Returns. Catwoman's origin story is pretty dumb and nonsensical.....as is the idea of Penguin is this political candidate that runs around chomping noses. I think in the first 30-40 minutes Batman only shows up like twice. I had forgotten how much time the film has to spend on the villains, who are both super-campy but without the Joker's charisma or psychotic menace. Penguin is mostly just a grotesque pervert and Catwoman acts like she is on ecstasy while delivering cat-related puns.

No way, seeing Catwoman origin story as a young girl rocked my world. It still holds.

It's a critique of 80s/90s office culture. As a secretary you have to be good at your job but not too good, pretty but not sexy, reliable but know your place. She meets the consequences of that when steps outside her role. Instead of it being her death, she is reborn as the Catwoman. The apartment "hell here" stitching scene gives me all the life.

I love the camp in this film.

As for Batman Forver, this is what happens when you let Jim Carrey do whatever he wants. If he's not directed well, fool goes off the deep end. I find his performance cringe fuel.

Oct 30, 2017
Nicole Kidman awoke something in 6 year old me when I first watched it.

I'm very fond of it. I watched it a ton as a kid. It's not very good but it is certainly very Schumacher.

Oct 25, 2017
I like this movie. It's got 90s Jim Carrey shenanigans, Tommy Lee Jones being absolutely silly, Val Kilmer is not a bad batman, and everything looks like laser tag.
I can't say it's what I would consider my ideal batman movie, but it's a lot of fun. I think I've actually rewatched it more times than the others in that series.
Forever is like this fun mid-point sweet spot between the gothic Burton films and the inanity of Batman&Robin.
Wish I could enjoy the silliness of B&R since I'm a fan of Arnold movies but that movie just teeters off the edge and falls head first into complete asininity. I almost never watch that one, it sucks.

-shadow-

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Still waiting for the promised Director's Cut, but I doubt we'll ever get that.

Flygon

Oct 28, 2017
Batman Forever is a film that I feel is the worst of the four 90s Batman films, but may actually be served incredibly well being remade in an animated format in modern era - a "What it should have been", so to say.

It has an interesting story to tell. It was just told incredibly badly.

thetrin

Oct 26, 2017
Atlanta, GA
I think it's brought down heavily by its attempt to appeal to younger audiences in a stupid way. They started drifting back towards the old Adam West style of Batman for an audience who didn't want that. Even the actual cartoons were darker. Darker doesn't always mean better but this movie is...severely confused

Did give us this baffling music video though

Still a fantastic song, MV aside.

Oct 27, 2017
I might be crucified for this, but I'd rather get the gaudy and tacky production design on Batman and superhero movies than the overly serious and drab interpretation of the real world that plagued the Batman and DC movies since Nolan.
The weirdest thing about the Nolan trilogy is his exponential disinterest in art direction with each successive movie.

h1nch

Dec 12, 2017
It was a bad film that has not aged well.

Upon rewatch I had forgotten how many great looking sets were wasted with the overuse of dutch angles. The fight and stunt choreography is really bad too. Like, the most poorly-filmed action sequence in any of the Nolan films is still orders of magnitude better than the best action sequences in any of the Schumacher films.