• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 27, 2017
Nottingham, UK
If people want to feed money into the tourist economy of a country that will jail a visitor for three months purely for accidentally touching a man's hip in a bar then that's their prerogative. I'm sure Jamie Herron didn't find their laws transparent at the time.
Sorry if I wasn't clear. My point was that the people I know who holiday there are either homophobic or don't give a shit about people in general. They are rich, classist shits.

Kingpin Rogers

HILF
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
At least you're in a situation where you can save and spend over 2000 dollars on something pleasurable. Many people would kill to be in that kind of situation so look on the bright side I guess.

TFGB

Dec 23, 2018
Sorry if I wasn't clear. My point was that the people I know who holiday there are either homophobic or don't give a shit about people in general. They are rich, classist shits.
Here in the UK, it seems as though it's many from the opposite end of the spectrum that find Dubai an attractive destination. I'm probably going to get lynched, but it seems to be a haven for the Jade Goody/TOWIE types that see it as a next-tier alternative to Ibiza.

I'm sure they're completely oblivious to the potential ramifications that can ensue from their typical behaviour that most other parts of the world find tolerable. I'm surprised there hasn't been more horror stories from Brits abroad in Dubai tbh, although there probably has and I just haven't read about them!

Mediking

Final Fantasy Best Boy (Grip)
I booked flight seats to Dubai and back, reserved a hotel room, reserved seats in the La Perle show, bought tickets to a theme park,

... and then we were turned away at passport control for not having sufficient documentation from my children. I'm distraught. All those tickets are non-refundable.

I'm trying with the airline, as the fare was almost half the loss.

Man, that sucks :/

Sorry, OP. That sounds painful and especially hard with disappointed kids. Hope you're able to salvage something out of it.

Wait, what sort of documentation? Passports are sufficient, right?

Some countries require VISAs, and if OP was traveling without their partner, proof that they're a legit parent and/or written permission from the other partner to take them over borders.

Last edited:

Wackamole

Oct 27, 2017
Well, on the Bright side: you don't have to visit Dubai now.

But damn, that's a lot of money to me.

Last edited:

RestEerie

Banned
Aug 20, 2018
Dubai is a shithole.. your mistake is wanting to go to that shithole in the first place.

eh...you guys visited Dubai before you said that? Sure, it's not 'justice freedom and the american way' 'murica but it's not a shithole with it being one of the richest (if not the richest) country in the middle-east.

Unless you guys have weird fixation of visiting a country based on whether you agree with a country's 'american-ness', then i rest my case.

I am not american, i am not white, i've been to America 5x (Chicago, Mineapolis, NYC, SanFra, LA, Sandiego) and i've also been to Dubai twice too and taking out of the 'FREEDOM OR ELSE' index into consideration, i felt safer in Dubai than in America.

teacup

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
lol @ all the americans in this topic who are acting like their cops don't kill minorities on the daily and their president ain't trump. Yes the UAE has a horrible government, welcome to most of the planet.

Overture

Oct 25, 2017
Portugal
Some people really feel the need to come here and make sure OP knows they don't feel bad because Dubai sucks and whatnot? OP just lost 2300$ and wanted to get it out there so he might feel better, he really doesn't need your views on Dubai, I'm sure there are other threads for that.

GymWolf86

Banned
Nov 10, 2018
I wasted 1000+ euro for a non-refundable ticket to amsterdam this summer, because i broke my foot the last day at work...
You're not alone op.

Puroresu_kid

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Here in the UK, it seems as though it's many from the opposite end of the spectrum that find Dubai an attractive destination. I'm probably going to get lynched, but it seems to be a haven for the Jade Goody/TOWIE types that see it as a next-tier alternative to Ibiza.

I'm sure they're completely oblivious to the potential ramifications that can ensue from their typical behaviour that most other parts of the world find tolerable. I'm surprised there hasn't been more horror stories from Brits abroad in Dubai tbh, although there probably has and I just haven't read about them!

It's more to do with you can do what you want in the right places. You want to drink, go ahead just don't do it in public. You want to have sex, again fine just behind closed doors.

Puroresu_kid

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Some people really feel the need to come here and make sure OP knows they don't feel bad because Dubai sucks and whatnot? OP just lost 2300$ and wanted to get it out there so he might feel better, he really doesn't need your views on Dubai, I'm sure there are other threads for that.

Feeling this post. Dude missed out on a holiday with his kids and it seems to be celebrated as the destination was Dubai.

teacup

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
As an American, I can't imagine going over seas with my children let alone the Middle East :/

Is this an American thing or am I going crazy?

I work as a travel agent in Melbourne, Australia and I book families to go to Dubai every week. It's a major worldwide family travel destination.

I mean what do you think there's going to be an IED on the way from the airport? You think you're going to be arrest for something because you saw it in the news?

The average Australia (speaking from just anecdotal experience) is more worried about Chicago or Los Angeles when I'm talking to them rather than Dubai. Dubai I just tell them to pack sunscreen. San Francisco I have to tell them how not to get fleeced by homeless people.

aerie

wonky
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Oh, that's awful OP! I hope the kids weren't too disappointed. I once flew internationally with my passport having just expired. I noticed on my way to the airport but thankfully no one checking me in or through security did. This was just a few months after 9/11 too when going through an airport felt incredibly tense. I have dual citizenship and always kept my UK passport renewed, but post Brexit there just won't be much of a point. Will be a bit sad to let it go.
As an American, I can't imagine going over seas with my children let alone the Middle East :/
As a child I travelled the world with my family and feel all the more rich for it. It was amazing experiences that helped me grow and expand my perspectives in ways that travelling around my own country, or even just Western countries never could.

degauss

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I lost about $1500 or maybe more on bad crypto decisions, it happens. One way to help thinking about it is that over your lifetime, it's a small amount of money. Throw it in the 'mortgage thoughts' bucket.

teacup

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
The "I know you are but what am I?" defense.

Please. When you are posting on an international forum that is mainly American and you decry a country that has a power overreach from the government you are begging someone to make the comparison. None of the countries in question are good, obviously but most Americans and certainly most big cities enjoy a lifestyle in part due to the desire for people to move, work or travel on holiday to the USA. And then for Americans to go "BUT YOU ARE SUPPORTING A BAD GOVERNMENT" when you have the orange baby as your president and regularly commit war crimes... yeesh.

Deleted member 50454

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 5, 2018
Is this an American thing or am I going crazy?

I work as a travel agent in Melbourne, Australia and I book families to go to Dubai every week. It's a major worldwide family travel destination.

I mean what do you think there's going to be an IED on the way from the airport? You think you're going to be arrest for something because you saw it in the news?

The average Australia (speaking from just anecdotal experience) is more worried about Chicago or Los Angeles when I'm talking to them rather than Dubai. Dubai I just tell them to pack sunscreen. San Francisco I have to tell them how not to get fleeced by homeless people.

Presumably because they're over-privileged selfish fucks who don't give a shit about human rights abuses or the despotic regime.

They probably all voted for Tony Abbott.

plain

Oct 27, 2017
That sucks man. My grandpa had a similar situation back in December. Wasted about $1200.

teacup

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Presumably because they're over-privileged selfish fucks who don't give a shit about human rights abuses or the despotic regime.

They probably all voted for Tony Abbott.

OK, list the countries you've travelled to.

No ethical consumption under capitalism level shit here.

Aeferis

Oct 25, 2017
Italy
Good god this thread. I shouldn't be coming to the segregated US and you shouldn't be travelling to corrupted Italy then, since both countries are currently run by shitty governments with fascist tendencies. Hell, major tourist destinations here in Italy like Florence and Venice have also officially declared that they're sick and tired of 'dirty peasant tourists' who just make the streets overcrowded and don't spend much money (I don't visit those cities anymore myself because fuck them). I'm not against the principle of your disdain, it's actually noble and as I said I do that myself in my country, but my bet is that most of you are weirdly selective when it comes to which countries are bad enough to boycott.

I'm sorry for your troubles OP, we all miss stuff and figure that out only when it's too late. I don't know how you booked your hotel but you might get a refund on nights after the first one, check that with the service you used to book your staying. About flights, I don't know how regulations are over there but here in Europe you can get a partial refund of taxes even on non-refundable flights, check that as well.

TFGB

Dec 23, 2018
You're right. It was unfair of us to hijack and shit on the OP's thread. The topic of Dubai and its ethics are probably best served in a separate thread.

Apologies to the OP.

Mendrox

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Good god this thread. I shouldn't be coming to the segregated US and you shouldn't be travelling to corrupted Italy then, since both countries are currently run by shitty governments with fascist tendencies. Hell, major tourist destinations here in Italy like Florence and Venice have also officially declared that they're sick and tired of 'dirty peasant tourists' who just make the streets overcrowded and don't spend much money (I don't visit those cities anymore myself because fuck them). I'm not against the principle of your disdain, it's actually noble, but my bet is that most of you are weirdly selective when it comes to which countries are bad enough to boycott.

I'm sorry for your troubles OP, we all miss stuff and figure that out only when it's too late. I don't know how you booked your hotel but you might get a refund on nights after the first one, check that with the service you used to book your staying. About flights, I don't know how regulations are over there but here in Europe you can get a partial refund of taxes even on non-refundable flights, check that as well.

Which is not the point about Dubai at all. I was full defense force before I visited there myself and it was a shit experience.

PrimeBeef

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I booked flight seats to Dubai and back, reserved a hotel room, reserved seats in the La Perle show, bought tickets to a theme park,

... and then we were turned away at passport control for not having sufficient documentation from my children. I'm distraught. All those tickets are non-refundable.

I'm trying with the airline, as the fare was almost half the loss.
No offense, but you really should have all your passport affairs in order and confirmed good before planning or booking shit.

ZackieChan

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
wait, so they were not traveling as a whole family? looks like he needs an authorization letter from his wife if not present
Hmm, maybe this wasn't the reason.
No offense, but you really should have all your passport affairs in order and confirmed good before planning or booking shit.
Usually the airline will check this stuff, so they don't have to be the ones flying you home for free when you don't get into the country.

teacup

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
How was it anti-Muslim or racist?

I'm talking about the Government.

Good to know you're not an LGBTQ+ ally though.

I just see a lot of people claim they have a problem with the governments of countries but not the people.

Just so happens the people who live in those countries are brown and Muslim generally (mainly brown)

I try to be an ally of everyone, I just don't see how writing off entire countries because of government policy works but you can keep up the hyperbole and cutting out all non white / Anglo influence of your life and live in your bubble. I just don't think you fight hate with hate is all. Anyway that's the last I'll post in this which is really a thread about a dude who sadly forgot to check visa requirements :(

Oct 27, 2017
Nottingham, UK

I'm from the UK as well. My experience has been it's just rich people with questionable ethics, but following on from posts highlighting that this isn't the topic of discussion I'll leave it at that

papermoon

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017

If the issue is traveling without the other parent, then the "documentation" required looks pretty simple. A passport copy and a letter - doesn't even have to be notarized.

The authorization letter needs to include the following details. The letter should be self-attested (notary attestation not required)

· Name of passenger and his/her flight details

· Contact number and address off the passenger in the UAE Receiving person details required

· Name of parents / guardian and their signature/s

· Contact number and address of parents/guardian at the originating country

I wonder if they would've accepted an electronic letter and if lidmat could've improvised something once they landed.