• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 135

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The only good 90s Marvel cartoon was Spider-Man. And even that doesn't hold up today, the animation is atrocious.

Iron Man, Spider-Man Unlimited, X-Men, Silver Surfer, Fantastic Four, Ultraforce, Hulk, and Avengers were all terrible.

Choppasmith

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Beaumont, CA
The only good 90s Marvel cartoon was Spider-Man. And even that doesn't hold up today, the animation is atrocious.

Iron Man, Spider-Man Unlimited, X-Men, Silver Surfer, Fantastic Four, Ultraforce, Hulk, and Avengers were all terrible.
Season 1 of Fantastic Four and Iron Man really fall into the hilariously bad trap that makes it worth watching.

And dammit I'll Stan Silver Surfer to the day I die.

MisterHero

Oct 25, 2017

I prefer Spider-Man and X-Men's art direction to all the blobby crud that dominates current shows.

The Avengers Assemble Universe has has a more comic-booky style but the writing is completely terrible.

EMH was okay, but overall I just don't prefer that team to 90s X-Men.

also, the world wasn't ready for Silver Surfer

mreddie

Oct 26, 2017
At the time, it was a Saban show so you can already see where this goes if you know about Saban shows.

-Iron Man already a show
-Cap was gonna get a show
-No one cared about Thor
-The Power Armor thing was made just to sell the toys.

Huggy

Oct 25, 2017
Lineup makes it sound more like a West Coast Avengers show? (hawkeye, Wonderman, Tigra)

Iva Demilcol

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Iwatodai Dorm
I don't recall "the big three" being that big in the 90's. IIRC, they were as big of a "joke" as Ant Man was.

The original Avengers were Ant Man, The Wasp, Iron Man, Thor, and The Hulk. Cap was added shortly after.

In the 90's, Iron Man's 30-year-old comic book run got cancelled, so that it could live on with the occasional miniseries, with a whole bunch of brand new "#1" issues (because it was the 90's, and "#1" sells better). Iron Man was a Marvel B-lister until Robert Downey Jr. and the MCU turned him into an icon.

Thor wasn't so big either. His biggest widespread publicity was him getting mocked and called a homophobic slur in "Adventures in Babysitting" in the 80's, and his "Beta Ray Bill" reboot was more popular than the original in the 90's.

The Hulk was known for his cheesy 70's Lou Ferigno TV series, and in the 90's She Hulk was where all the attention was.

Captain America in the 90's was not very far removed from that infamous "Do you think this A on my head stands for France?" scene. Because Captain America wasn't cool in the 90's (so they needed to edge him up).

The X-Men were cool in the 90's. Spiderman was cool in the 90's. Spawn was cool in the 90's. Image Comics was cool in the 90's. It's the MCU that went back to the basics and took Marvel's B-list scrubs and did something with them.

The Avengers were known for a rotating cast. Spiderman was an Avenger. Beast from the X-Men was an Avenger. The Avengers can be anyone. The 90's "United We Stand" Avengers cartoon was based on the "West Coast Avengers" spinoff group, which was a thing that existed quite well back when the cartoon was made.

I love this post

MistaTwo

SNK Gaming Division Studio 1
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Yeah, Spider-Man TAS and X-Men TAS were the only ones I could watch, even as a kid. Even those were heavily flawed compared to something like Batman TAS, though that show is so damn good it's really not fair to compare anything to it!
I even liked Iron Man quite a bit despite him not being that popular back then, but his show felt unwatchable even as a middle school kid.