• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Exellus

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Don't get me wrong - my first video game console was a Sega Master System and my second was an NES, but I was never a lover of these OLD, OLD-SCHOOL graphics. I have nostalgia for Mario 3, classic Mega Man, and that's about it.

Meanwhile I feel like SNES games still look good TO THIS DAY. I've been waiting a long time for Indie games to stop chasing the NES-era ultra low pixel sprite look and start joining SNES era stuff. I love me some good spritework.

Things like Owlboy, Sea of Stars, and Cosmic Star Heroine look great to me.

Hope to see more like this going forward.

oni-link

tag reference no one gets
Oct 25, 2017
UK
I really love how 8bit, 16bit and 32bit games look, so I'm happy to see indie games use any of those styles really well

Orioto

Oct 26, 2017
Paris
I agree and some of those games are actually way more than 16bit level of graphics. They would have not run on 32bit neither i'm pretty sure.

I love when we have that sense of a missing 2d generation with let's say.. ngc/ps2 era pixel art games that we didn't really have back then cause it was not cool anymore.

RPTGB

Oct 28, 2017
UK
I agree and some of those games are actually way more than 16bit level of graphics. They would have not run on 32bit neither i'm pretty sure.

I love when we have that sense of a missing 2d generation with let's say.. ngc/ps2 era pixel art games that we didn't really have back then cause it was not cool anymore.
The Saturn did it's best to keep that flag flying ;)

PersianPrince

Feb 12, 2019
I'm happy there are many different styles of pixel art. My favourite are 8 bit and 16 bit but there seems to be something for everyone. I dont think we are going to stop seeing pixel art games anytime soon.

Jan 21, 2019
Don't get me wrong - my first video game console was a Sega Master System and my second was an NES, but I was never a lover of these OLD, OLD-SCHOOL graphics. I have nostalgia for Mario 3, classic Mega Man, and that's about it.

Meanwhile I feel like SNES games still look good TO THIS DAY. I've been waiting a long time for Indie games to stop chasing the NES-era ultra low pixel sprite look and start joining SNES era stuff. I love me some good spritework.

Hope to see more like this going forward.
I can't wait for the first proper PS1 style indie games. Like fully fledged game, full of detail and minutia but having the PS1 look.

Akita One

Oct 30, 2017
Yup, and actually most of them that you think are 16-bit are actually 32-bit, often including alot more colors per moving character along with special effects and elaborate backgrounds...these games could never run on a SNES or even a NeoGeo.

I've always said: 2D pixels games need to have at least PS/N64 graphics, and that 3D polygon games need at least 360/PS3 graphics, in order for me to like the graphics of a game.

I KILL PXLS

Oct 25, 2017
Same though I don't think this is a recent trend. I can think of way more 16bit+ looking indie games than 8bit looking ones in the past 10-15 years. But yeah, even as someone who grew up with the NES as my first console, I can't go any further back graphics wise than 16bit. I find 8bit a little too ugly and lacking too much detail/color.

FirLocke

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
Me too. I love how graphics are progressing in the indie space. A Short Hike brought the PS1 childhood outta me!

werezompire

Zeboyd Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017

All of those games are more 32-bit style than 16-bit. They exceed actual 16-bit consoles in at least 1 category - color, resolution, effects, and storage.

In making games, I've long held the belief that you have to target the nostalgia not the reality. That's why to get the 16-bit nostalgia, it's better to aim for something that's more 32-bit style.

I've also lost count of how many people have called our games 8-bit, even though none of them fall under that category. Cosmic Star Heroine REALLY doesn't look 8-bit.

Judau

Oct 28, 2017
I can't wait for the first proper PS1 style indie games. Like fully fledged game, full of detail and minutia but having the PS1 look.

There's a horror game called Back In 1995 that seems to have PS1 look and gameplay. I don't know if that's what you're looking for.

Cosmic Star Heroine REALLY doesn't look 8-bit.

Wow, you weren't kidding. The characters themselves look at least 16-bit, and the enviornments look far beyond what a PS1 would have been capable of, let alone what an 8-bit console would have been capable of.

Mirage

Oct 25, 2017
All of those games are more 32-bit style than 16-bit. They exceed actual 16-bit consoles in at least 1 category - color, resolution, effects, and storage.

In making games, I've long held the belief that you have to target the nostalgia not the reality. That's why to get the 16-bit nostalgia, it's better to aim for something that's more 32-bit style.

I've also lost count of how many people have called our games 8-bit, even though none of them fall under that category. Cosmic Star Heroine REALLY doesn't look 8-bit.
I think that's a good way to go. Like Shovel Knight is a more updated approach on what it's going for.

Lightjolly

Oct 30, 2019

Anodyne 2
58.jpg

werezompire

Zeboyd Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
those three go waaay beyond what the SNES, and probably the Saturn, could ever do

To go into greater detail on Cosmic Star Heroine since that's what I know...

Cosmic Star Heroine has a native resolution of 480 x 270. Your average SNES game has a resolution of 256 x 224.
CSH uses far more colors than a SNES could handle.
Looking at a sprite sheet, Chrono Trigger's main character had around a couple hundred frames of animation. Cosmic Star Heroine main character sprites tend to have a few hundred ANIMATIONS (each of which has several frames).
The maps in Cosmic Star Heroine aren't grid-based, but are drawn as full layer images. The average map has one image for the base, one for the foreground, and one for shadow.
There's a lot of music and it's not chiptune.
The cutscenes were patterned after the Sega CD Lunar games, but have more colors than the Sega CD could have done.

Deleted member 17210

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm very happy to see more 32-bit-looking 2d stuff now.

To be fair with the "8-bit" look, a lot of the modern stuff just focused on the fake NES colour palette style. It's not like there was ever an overdose on replicating the graphics of other 8-bit consoles and computers. I'm fine with seeing more stuff inspired by less popular classic areas.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
We've been getting 16/32-bit quality indie games for a while now. What I found more interesting is that the number of 3D indie games is increasing.

Ashgar

Oct 28, 2017
CrossCode is another game you should check out. Probably more of a 2D 32 bit level though
CrossCode is great, but it's definitely going for the "memory" of 16-bit games and not the reality. For starters, the effects are way beyond what anything of that generation (or even the next) could do.

Also CrossCode is great and more people should play it.

B. Spaceman

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Spain
I like that some indie sequels are going 16 bit style, after the first being 8 bit

Relic

Oct 28, 2017
It's just nostalgia from the devs + what the market wants right? If you were born in 1980, 10 years ago you'd be 30 - a few years into a career with money to spend on your hobby.

Plus, crappier graphics are easier and cheaper to make. As the indie scene matures and gets big funding behind it, it's natural for it to grow in scope.

Fadewise

Nov 5, 2017
People wanting low-poly PS1 style games seem insane to me. Sprite graphics can be legitimately attractive, whether 8 bit, 6 bit, or Hi-bit style, but I just see no redeeming quality to low poly stuff other than nostalgia.

Skunk

Oct 28, 2017
Whether these retro games are period-accurate or not, I definitely agree with the premise of this thread. "8-bit" modern games wore out their welcome with me almost immediately.

Ctrl Alt Del

Banned
Jun 10, 2018
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
People wanting low-poly PS1 style games seem insane to me. Sprite graphics can be legitimately attractive, whether 8 bit, 6 bit, or Hi-bit style, but I just see no redeeming quality to low poly stuff other than nostalgia.
I'd rather have some 128 bits-styled games, but there's a lot of charm with low-poly models talking and a character portrait that's meant to represent them showing up on screen, Persona style.

werezompire

Zeboyd Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017

We've been experimenting with mixing the two. Low poly 3D objects but then texturing them with retro sprite art & then adding modern effects. Kind of like Octopath Traveler with a less Minecraft-y look to the environment. Early tests have gone really well (we're rebuilding old stuff from our games and from famous RPGs in this style to see how they look) so I think we'll probably make a game in this style after we're done with our current project.

SickNasty

Mar 18, 2020

It's all personal preference really. I see no appeal in pixellated/16-bit graphics other than people must be nostalgic for them, while I'm super pumped for the new wave of Hi-res early 3D style graphics because that's what I grew up with. Different strokes for different folks.

Night of the Consumers has a great look:
germfood.itch.io

NIGHT OF THE CONSUMERS by germfood

RETAIL IS HELL

Yesterday

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't I don't know why I bothers me when people say that pixel art games are going for an old school look. Some people want to use sprites and aren't trying to pay homage to an older system, I'm just tired of seeing "retro inspired!" when the game looks like no retro game that has ever existed.

XaviConcept

Art Director for Videogames
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
To go into greater detail on Cosmic Star Heroine since that's what I know...

Cosmic Star Heroine has a native resolution of 480 x 270. Your average SNES game has a resolution of 256 x 224.
CSH uses far more colors than a SNES could handle.
Looking at a sprite sheet, Chrono Trigger's main character had around a couple hundred frames of animation. Cosmic Star Heroine main character sprites tend to have a few hundred ANIMATIONS (each of which has several frames).
The maps in Cosmic Star Heroine aren't grid-based, but are drawn as full layer images. The average map has one image for the base, one for the foreground, and one for shadow.
There's a lot of music and it's not chiptune.
The cutscenes were patterned after the Sega CD Lunar games, but have more colors than the Sega CD could have done.

Thanks for the analysis, I just knew from the get go that the animations plus the raw env assets put it way past the SNES, Saturn maaaaybe, but it would be a very inefficient idea, the Tales of Phantasia remake is about the level you should expect.

I do think its hilarious to say "moving towards 16 bit". The move has been made, surpassed, cleared, made obsolete long time ago

Jun 26, 2018
As long as the game is fun, I couldn't care less if it uses pixel graphics or the like. Not every indie dev is gonna be a visual artist capable of your preferred artstyle, but that doesn't mean they can't make great and meaningful games.

zoodoo

Oct 26, 2017
Montreal
I don't mind 8 bit. What I don't like are smooth flash like looking games with characters animated like puppets. Insta turn off

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
Yup, I am glad that the CGA scene is taking over, 4 colors is enough with talent.

That's a cool aesthetic, but it's not how CGA graphics were supposed to look.
CGA was supposed to be displayed on a composite monitor, which transformed those 4-color graphics into a wider range of colors.
Pink, Cyan, Black, and White are what you got when you displayed CGA graphics on an RGB monitor.

Deleted member 23046

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
That's a cool aesthetic, but it's not how CGA graphics were supposed to look.
CGA was supposed to be displayed on a composite monitor, which transformed those 4-color graphics into a wider range of colors.
Pink, Cyan, Black, and White are what you got when you displayed CGA graphics on an RGB monitor.
Oh I have totally forgot this, thank for precisons.
For youngsters this is what we are referring to :

Uh.....this looks amazing!
Yup! Haven't played the game but is well-ranked on Steam.

Oct 31, 2017

Like this one ? :P

Those are neither 8 nor 16 bits games though !

Yup, I am glad that the CGA scene is taking over, 4 colors is enough with talent.

This looks fucking neat.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Screen%2Bshot%2B2015-05-27%2Bat%2B2.13.19%2BPM.png

012.jpg

056.jpg

You can create legitimately appealing visuals with the PS1 look with proper art direction. I'd play a game that looks like this over another run-of-the-mill-shiny-grafix game in a heartbeat.