• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
Hi Era, like you, i'm a GAMER, and all I'd love is for developers to go back to not having any politics in their games. So I thought it'd be a good time to look back fondly on the super apolitial games that I so fondly enjoyed during my childhood. Back when games didn't have any statements to make. Back when art was shallow and meaningless. Just as I am as a human being. So let's start with one super apolitical game that everyone should be very fond of.

header.jpg

Ah yes, Final Fantasy 7. The cornerstone of childhood JRPGs. With one of THE most effective openings in JRPG history. A cool looking guy with a sword hopes off a train and kills two dudes. And he's joined by other cool looking dudes and a woman, the objective is to blow up a reactor thingy for NO REASON WHATSOEVER. It's just like really cool man. We fight a scorpion and then shit blows and like booooommmmmmmmmmmmm and then we go chill and have drinks at a bar. Although, for some reason the characters won't stop talking about saving the planet from an evil corporation that's quite literally sucking the life out of the it. Bit weird that they keep talking about that over and over again. Might be a localization issue, Barret's localization is on point though, totally sounds like Mr. T. 😃

Anyway moving on. Another really totally tubular apolicial game from my childhood. One of the GOAT shooters. You already know who it is.
180824131047.jpg

Oooooo boy what an apoilitical game this was. We play as this badass named James Bond who works for no one in particular. In every level, we shoot bad foreign bad guys for literally no reason. Really weird that the game keeps talking specifically about Russians. Are the levels even in Russia? Probably not. Also, political fiction is not inherently political, as political fiction writers would never attempt to make a statement about anything, especially not politics. 😄

Anyway. Games used to be so much better. Let's stop focusing on 1997 for a second. Let's focus on the next year. A CORNERSTONE in apolitical gaming. I mean just look at this particular title.
mgs1-e1535599219996.png

Featuring Solid Snake, with TACTICAL 👏 ESPIONAGE 👏 ACTION 👏 sneaking into a secret base in order to do something. You see, if you google search the word, "espionage," there is literally nothing inherently political about the word. And although they keep talking about it, there's no statements made whatsoever about nuclear warfare. You see, the localization team ran a bit wild with this one. In the original translation, Liquid Snake was doing everything for the lols and didn't have any goals whatsoever. Kojima did not approve of the localization as a result. 😃

Name some apolitical games from your childhood and describe them Era. Describe the good times of apolitical gaming. 😃

Last edited:

Alvis

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Spain
Ah yes. I love apolitical games of the past, such as Metal Gear Solid.

Mariolee

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
At first I was gonna come in hot into this thread.

I now realize you're good people.

HadesHotgun

Oct 25, 2017
Nier Automata felt like a serious throwback because of how APOLITICAL it was.

I hadn't gotten those kinds of APOLITICAL feelings since Xenogears, Suikoden, and Final Fantasy Tactics.

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah but games are way more radically political now, making controversial statements like "women and minorities can also be cool"!

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
I know this is a joke thread but I want to remind everyone that Sonic the Hedgehog is a very political series about the dangers of industrialization and how the police are too quick to judge based on appearances alone

everything is "political" if you look hard enough

Leo

Oct 27, 2017
Damn I got in this thread with my fingers itching to come for OP

OP
OP
Crossing Eden

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
Let's talk about this really cool open world game made by none other than Naughty Dog.
latest

Ok so in this game, Jak, a recently escaped prisoner who was experimented on by the leader of this dystopia. You team up with this badass apolitical group run by this guy named Torn who's main goal is to reinstate the rightful heir after the kid's father was wrongly usurped and banished from the city. I mean, there's like, a moment where like you realize that all of the greenery is completely gone cause this is the future where your city is sucking the natural resources of the planet but like, nothing's really being said. Because you're a BADASS. You see you got this cool dark form.
latest

The direct result of years of experimentation since the leaders wanted to create super soldiers and here's the apolitical irony about experimenting on innocents with harmful science, you end up being directly contributing to the downfall of a false monarchy. No statement. 😄

Last edited:

Bjones

Oct 30, 2017
Pac-Man?

But really just like in politics you can bend anything into a political statement.
So really everything is and isn't a political statement.

Damn Silly

Oct 25, 2017
Remember that the original Sonic the Hedgehog is just a game about running fast and not any sort of criticism about industrialisation and the effect humanity is having on nature.

Viale

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Saw Crossing Eden's avatar by the thread title and instantly knew it'd be satire. Was not disappointed.

Window

Oct 27, 2017
I know this is meant to be a tongue in cheek thread but you'd think there would be better examples to show how games can make political statements. I typically don't turn to Bond for any serious commentary on geopolitics.

adj_noun

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
CHARACTER CREATION

SKIN TONE: WHITE/POLITICAL

SEXUAL ORIENTATION: STRAIGHT/POLITICAL

HAIR: BALD/POLITICAL

OP
OP
Crossing Eden

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
Anyone here a horror fan? As a kid I was a bit of a scaredy cat so my first exposure to horror games was resident evil.
covers_393.jpg

You see this evil corporation decided to experiment on people. And that sort of like backfires, and causes zombies to litter this mansion, which just so happens to be housing this secret facility, that we have to apolitically blow up.