• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Lucas M. Thomas

Editor-in-Chief of Nintendo Force Magazine
Verified
Oct 30, 2017
Kentucky
The annoyance of climbing in the rain should have been addressed by having one item/armor set you could find that would eliminate the slipping when used. Missed opportunity there.

Anth0ny

Oct 25, 2017
The annoyance of climbing in the rain should have been addressed by having one item/armor set you could find that would eliminate the slipping when used. Missed opportunity there.

Q4Vzf4o.gif

The Boat

Oct 28, 2017
Rain appears reasonably often (but not as often as it seems to due to confirmation bias and places where it always rains) for a reason: it forces you to react. You either find somewhere to set up camp (something most people don't seem to excel at since it's really easy to find cover in rockfaces and trees) or you go around. That's what the game centers around: reacting to what happens around you, as well as your surroundings reacting to what you do.

Want to climb something, but it's raining? Find shelter, build a fire, wait it out. Can't or don't want to? Maybe you could use Revali's Gale. Can't? The chances are, there are other paths you can take other than climbing, especially as the game is made to provide interesting paths whether you want to walk, ride, climb or glide. Sometimes you gotta take the L, maybe you fall mid climb, but hey, that's what happens when you're exploring any game, sometimes you fail or die.

Aug 13, 2019
I never really minded the rain in BotW. If I needed to get somewhere while it was raining I'd either wait, start a fire, or climb anyway and make it (Or use a certain skill that makes traversal a cakewalk). I like that the game has a mechanic that forces the player to change tactics. It's cool!

And the lightning! The first time I got struck by lightning was great but instead of panic dropping, I unequipped everything and had Link running around weaponless in his trunks for a while. And when a certain shrine taught me how to weaponize nature I learned to stop worrying and love the Lightning. God, I love this game. I need to play it again and I'm glad you're having a better time with it now, OP.

Mr_Blue_Sky

Oct 25, 2017

It's kinda disappointing how every time complaints about rain are brought up in relation to Botw it seems like it's always about how there needs to be a way for it to be deleted from the experience for daring to occasionally impede someones straight line path of dominance over the gameworld instead of as an opportunity to expand the climbing/game mechanics even further to work in conjunction with it.

In it's current form I had no issue with how rain effects you or slows you down because I liked how it changed what I could or couldn't do and it gave me situations where items I barely used like octo balloons could have a chance to shine. I always kinda felt like arguing in favor of a game experience completely subservient to player whims instead of one you adapt to would make for a far more boring game in Botw's case.

Last edited:

night814

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
Pennsylvania
uhhh i managed to break the zora area's attempt to force linearity. oops.I climbed way up high someplace at random. I think I wound up in the highlands up almost near Mt. Hylia and smacked into zora's domain from a strange angle. Didn't really experience the road leading up to the place until after I'd done the Elephant Sacred Beast
I did the same thing my first play through, I headed straight there for some reason and was able to climb/jump/dash my way up without the rain affecting me too much.

Deleted member 3082

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It'd be a fun thread idea to think about times where we did things in games the hard way (that we may or may not be embarrassed about) because we weren't aware of what we were "supposed" to do. I need to ponder some personal examples of this...

qPzuWAl.jpg

The room in Resident Evil 4 where you get the infrared scope (absolutely vital to taking out the Regenerator enemies that dominate the whole last section of the game) has a ton of frozen Regenerators hanging from the ceiling. I took one look inside, said "Nope!" and never went back, making the whole last stretch of the game significantly harder (and also scarier).

EDIT: Given the tone of this thread, I want to clarify that I take full responsibility for this; if anything, the game was doing an amazing job making me fear those spiky bastards.

Jakenbakin

Jun 17, 2018
Rain never particularly bothered me. In a game where 80% of my joy comes from navigating the overworld, being forced to deal with it was... date I say fun?

Enduin

You look 40
Oct 25, 2017
New York
I love that goddamn lightning. It's the best. I love it so much one of my greatest wishes for BotW2 is that we get a musical instrument back so I can play songs like Song of Storms and bring down that lightning at my beck and call to zap the shit out of enemies.

Nov 17, 2017
uhhh i managed to break the zora area's attempt to force linearity. oops.I climbed way up high someplace at random. I think I wound up in the highlands up almost near Mt. Hylia and smacked into zora's domain from a strange angle. Didn't really experience the road leading up to the place until after I'd done the Elephant Sacred Beast
I think it's more that it encourages you to take one path but if you utilize the games mechanics more thoroughly, you can still go the way you want.

I went through the linear path first playthrough because I assumed there was no way to climb in the rain. Second time around, I learned I could and ended up climbing and coming around the back end. The game completely had this in mind too because when you get to the throne room, Sidon gets upset because since you haven't met him on the linear path, you're just some stranger barging into the throne room. It's great.

julian

Oct 27, 2017
I just got to Death Mountain. My shield was catching my on fire so I unequipped it so that I wouldn't get burned and lose it. I'm basically a pro now.
When I first played the game I got into this mindset where I needed to climb all the towers early on and unlock the entire map. I ended up gliding into Death Mountain, catching fire, having no fucking idea why and just bolting to the tower downing food to survive until I made it, then teleported out. Didn't end up doing anything in Death Mountain until after I'd beaten the game.

HK-47

Oct 25, 2017
I love the rain in BotW, impediments and all. It gave the world a real feel. Good systemic design.

Oct 29, 2017
Agree with Ben here. The game is fucking amazing, but give me an easy way to negate the rain.
Ok this is something I can agree with because by the late game Link has defenses against pretty much every thing, including a rubber suit against electricity, but the one thing you cannot change is the rain.

If link can run naked on the snow with a fire sword on his back, put on a mask that makes Lynels passive, or kill guardians with one arrow, he should be able to find something late in the game that alleviates rain a little bit.

The Boat

Oct 28, 2017
Ok this is something I can agree with because by the late game Link has defenses against pretty much every thing, including a rubber suit against electricity, but the one thing you cannot change is the rain.

If link can run naked on the snow with a fire sword on his back, put on a mask that makes Lynels passive, or kill guardians with one arrow, he should be able to find something late in the game that alleviates rain a little bit.
Yeah I could work with that as a late game item.

It's kinda disappointing how every time complaints about rain are brought up in relation to Botw it seems like it's always about how there needs to be a way for it to be deleted from the experience for daring to occasionally impede someones straight line path of dominance over the gameworld instead of as an opportunity to expand the climbing/game mechanics even further to work in conjunction with it.

In it's current form I had no issue with how rain effects you or slows you down because I liked how it changed what I could or couldn't do and it gave me situations where items I barely used like octo balloons could have a chance to shine. I always kinda felt like arguing in favor of a game experience completely subservient to player whims instead of one you adapt to would make for a far more boring game in Botw's case.
Well said.

Kuro

Oct 25, 2017
Climbing in the rain was manageable with rushrooms and endura shrooms + climbing outfit. The lightning was a joke for me since I did the Gerudo area right after Kakariko/Hateno. You'd also think it would do more damage on enemies but of course their damage spongyness applied to lightning as well.

OP
OP
Astral

Astral

Oct 27, 2017

Wait, having a fire sword equipped makes you warm enough to resist cold?

ckareset

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Feb 2, 2018
I can. I often wonder why people hype this shit up so much. I've seen way more impressive things done with greater detail in better games...

But yeah, that particular example is fucking awesome. I had no idea that such a thing was even possible.
How about naming these more impressive things done in greater detail in better games instead of acting like a baby lol

Oct 27, 2017
Bandung Indonesia
Unless any of you work for Nintendo, I don't know why you feel so personally offended that he isn't happy with it that you need to rush in and mock op for speaking ill of the game. Its enough to just tell OP he's wrong and give him some advice — that need to mock is a reactionary defensive thing that doesn't really add anything of value.

The overwhelming urge to snark isn't just a BotW thing (but you do see it in any thread where someone wants to speak ill of it). It's a trait you see in a lot of Era threads. One of the few things that bring Era down IMO. I just get tired of seeing it — like I said, we are a great community and we could be using what we know to help each other out more, rather than giving in to the urge to mock.

Dude, it's not that serious, it's just a funny thing, why are you getting offended for the OP anyways, I doubt even he is as offended as you, if he even offended in the first place.

Seriously some of you need to lighten up a bit, no need to come in and preach your allegedly enlightened morals over something so lighthearted and trivial, sheeesh.

No Depth

Oct 27, 2017

I mean we've all had that Ben experience playing the game.

Some of us want simple solutions and shortcuts, less impediments to our goal. Gimme an umbrella! Gimme a rainsuit! Why even have stoopid rain??!!

Some of us(me included) relish in the occasional hurdle. Those limitations or obstacles that demand alternate thinking or considerations, or sometimes mere patience. Yea, I get dejected sometimes when I see a shiny and some chaotic random occurrence blocks my path. The difference I suppose is that I don't complain and instead consider other avenues or options.

Ben's "this is a videogame!" excuse is weak. What does that even mean? Videogames should cater to not obstructing the player or force creative thinking? No curveballs in my entertainment! Just gimme the path of the least resistance please! This is a videogame! I will not tolerate being inconvenienced!

(Ok, I know he was just venting, but that was still a lame rebuttal he made)

Ashby

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I liked the rain because when I didn't want it to anymore it makes you search for a dry spot under some sort of overhang/cover (or you build your own!) and start a fire to then advance time to make the storm pass which I found to be a fun little gameplay loop.

OP
OP
Astral

Astral

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah and an ice weapon keeps you cool in hot environments.
That's so damn cool. This game I'm guessing it can't keep me alive in Death Mountain though. Even with the Goron chest armor I still needed to take an elixir to survive once I got closer to the mountain.

Deleted member 3017

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Loved the weather in BotW and here's hoping they're adding even more advanced weather systems in the sequel.

Village

Oct 25, 2017
I thought you were gonna complain about not being able to climb during the rain. That's at least valid
Screw that by the way

"Oh hey I'm climbing"

Weather:No you're not

Like it's kinda dogshit like that's not a fun mechanic or enhances the g as me in anyway. It's just rng tedium. At least give me the dry gloves of whatever zelda gods buttcrack so I can just equip them and keep climbing

Cup O' Tea?

Nov 2, 2017
I don't really see how slipping down a cliff while it's raining is really a worthwhile addition to the game. The lightning was great though.

OP
OP
Astral

Astral

Oct 27, 2017
I get more pissed when it rains while I need to light up lanterns with the blue flame.

Village

Oct 25, 2017

Because sometimes shits bad and adds nothing to the experience

Deleted member 23046

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
About rain, with the lvl2 climbing set, when Link slides, keep climbing three/four times, than jump. He will slide again but repeat the sequence and you can reach a lot of things (not as high as without rain ofc).

balohna

Nov 1, 2017
Fighting in storms gets super fun when you stop having to care about lightning. Literally get struck on purpose just to deal damage to enemies near you.

I feel dumb now for not doing the boomerang trick, though. This game keeps on giving.

Dr Pears

Sep 9, 2018

Its simply not fun to a lot of people. And a lot of people has issues with it.

And I rarely see people ask to straight up delete the mechanic. Most of the time, I see people suggest to add a late game item/equipment to make overcoming the obstacle easier, much like a lot of the other obstacles in the game.

PtM

Banned
Dec 7, 2017
You're probably onto something.
The game might become boring more easily if it didn't vex the players at times.

OP
OP
Astral

Astral

Oct 27, 2017
I just wanted to inform the world that I finally beat this game. Great game but far from my favorite Zelda. Awesome exploration but I really missed the dungeons. Whatever those were here don't count. What happened to the characters too? They descendants just fuck off never to be seen again. The only characters I really liked were Paya, Purah, and the dancing Korok. So overall I really liked it and it's one of the best games I've ever played, but it's no OoT/MM.

Deleted member 59109

Banned
Aug 8, 2019
Yeah, the exploration and world are really great but the dungeons are definitely really lacking compared to other Zelda games.

SpitfireKit

Oct 27, 2017
I just wanted to inform the world that I finally beat this game. Great game but far from my favorite Zelda. Awesome exploration but I really missed the dungeons. Whatever those were here don't count. What happened to the characters too? They descendants just fuck off never to be seen again. The only characters I really liked were Paya, Purah, and the dancing Korok. So overall I really liked it and it's one of the best games I've ever played, but it's no OoT/MM.
Did you play the DLC as well?