• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 23212

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
...and then realized I forgot to hit the record button! Ugh, at least I got some footage from before the PS Classic froze, but when I reset the console the recording stopped too and I forgot to start recording again. So, that time was spent essentially for nothing, since I'm going to have to do it all over again for the purposes of what I want.

Has something similar happened to any of you?

zeox

Oct 27, 2017
Norway
I did this once, only I hit record but forgot to change the scene in OBS (the correct scene was in preview). So I just recorded a bunch of audio on a completely black video. fun!

TimPV3

Oct 30, 2017
I did this once, only I hit record but forgot to change the scene in OBS (the correct scene was in preview). So I just recorded a bunch of audio on a completely black video. fun!
I had a similar thing happen, forgot to change the scene to gameplay so it was 40 minutes of my friend and I sitting on a couch playing/reacting to Katamari.

Mecha Meister

Next-Gen Guru
Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
A few weeks ago I attempted to record some gameplay of Rust, I have a series of videos where I test the performance of the Ryzen 5 3600 with my GTX 1080 Ti, and Rust was one of the games that was requested for me to test.

I played the game for about an hour and had some great fun and funny moments, this was the first time I played the game, so I had no idea what I was doing throughout most of it.
During this session I was up to no good and stole some crops, fought some wolves and even found a boat and went sailing for a bit until I ran out of fuel, I then began my trek on foot until I met my demise as someone crept up on me with a gun.

After this I closed the game and then went to look for my recording...
There was nothing.

I was so pissed! OBS must have not detected my key press or I completely forgot to start recording.

OP
OP

Deleted member 23212

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
A few weeks ago I attempted to record some gameplay of Rust, I have a series of videos where I test the performance of the Ryzen 5 3600 with my GTX 1080 Ti, and Rust was one of the games that was requested for me to test.

I played the game for about an hour and had some great fun and funny moments, this was the first time I played the game, so I had no idea what I was doing throughout most of it.
During this session I was up to no good and stole some crops, fought some wolves and even found a boat and went sailing for a bit until I ran out of fuel, I then began my trek on foot until I met my demise as someone crept up on me with a gun.

After this I closed the game and then went to look for my recording...
There was nothing.

I was so pissed! OBS must have not detected my key press or I completely forgot to start recording.
Ah yeah, I used to always worry about that myself until I finally got a second monitor for my desktop, so now I can actually see if it's recording or not. Though when I use my laptop I still have to worry about that.

Ænima

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
When i was studing graphic design, i spent a whole afternoon working on a project, was so focused i never tought of saving it, as i usually just did that after i was done for the day. Computer crashed, no saved project, all work for that day gone. After that every new change i did in a work i kept hiting the save button :P

OP
OP

Deleted member 23212

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
When i was studing graphic design, i spent a whole afternoon working on a project, was so focused i never tought of saving it, as i usually just did that after i was done for the day. Computer crashed, no saved project, all work for that day gone. After that every new change i did in a work i kept hiting the save button :P
I used to have a shit ton of problems with Windows XP freezing up on me while editing videos.

Mecha Meister

Next-Gen Guru
Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
Ah yeah, I used to always worry about that myself until I finally got a second monitor for my desktop, so now I can actually see if it's recording or not. Though when I use my laptop I still have to worry about that.

I have a second display but I haven't used it much lately, if I continue to use OBS I'll probably plug it in again.
I usually use Shadow Play which notifies me when its recording but I've found that OBS has a lot more features, so I've taken a recent liking to it. However, I do I find Shadow Play to be more convenient.

With OBS, I'm always checking to see if it's recording with Alt-Tab, just in case I click it off by mistake, or I forget to press record.
I've heard that there may be plugins to notify me when I'm recording but I haven't really looked much into that stuff yet.

MagicPhone

Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
I worked in gametesting from 2004-2008, and we still used VHS tapes to record gameplay. Rule was that you always needed to be recording, because if you encountered a bug, you would need video evidence of that bug. This meant that when your tape ran out, you needed to manually replace it. I can't stress enough that encountering a bug while not recording was pretty close to a fireable offense.

Of course we're all human and people always forgot here and there. This just meant that unless you were a dummy, you realized you had missed a bug while not taping, and you stayed quiet about it, put in a fresh tape, and then hoped you could reproduce the bug. Anyway, still get stressed out thinking about it.

OP
OP

Deleted member 23212

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I worked in gametesting from 2004-2008, and we still used VHS tapes to record gameplay. Rule was that you always needed to be recording, because if you encountered a bug, you would need video evidence of that bug. This meant that when your tape ran out, you needed to manually replace it. I can't stress enough that encountering a bug while not recording was pretty close to a fireable offense.

Of course we're all human and people always forgot here and there. This just meant that unless you were a dummy, you realized you had missed a bug while not taping, and you stayed quiet about it, put in a fresh tape, and then hoped you could reproduce the bug. Anyway, still get stressed out thinking about it.
I wonder if those VHS tapes still exist.

Mecha Meister

Next-Gen Guru
Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom

That sounds really stressful, sorry to hear about that. VHS tapes in 08? What?