• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

discotheque

Dec 23, 2019
I went to my supermarket today in Philly, no lines but it was packed with people and I was one of only three people in the store who had a mask. OP's experience sounds awful, but I think lines are probably a very good idea overall.

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
There are no lines here in DFW, but I haven't seen eggs or pasta in 2 weeks now. And bread is a rare find.

Deleted member 44129

User requested account closure
Banned
May 29, 2018
You should be, if we didn't have this asinine panic buying we would have the normal over-supply of food and the many, many trolleys worth that are chucked/given to charity each day at every location.

It's the logistics of having to distribute everything that's the issue. Too many dumb - getting fatter - people out there...

ps3ud0 8)
We stockpiled for Brexit a LONG time ago, so we're ok. Kids demanded some beans, so i got 2 tins. I could have got more, but I'm not an arsehole. I'm hoping there's a point where people realise that they've got enough in, and the supermarkets are able to replenish.

His Majesty

Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
I walk in and out of my local Belgian supermarket, no queues and nothing sold out. Standing 6 hours in line...there were no other supermarkets you could've gone to?

Deleted member 44129

Banned
May 29, 2018
I'm in Edinburgh and the most queuing I've seen is about 5 people. And if anything, the shelves are slowly getting back to normal.
I'm just outside of London. Apparently a 30 minute wait to get into the big tesco, and I hear there's fuck all in there. The small supermarkets, the Tesco Metros and little Coop have fuck all fresh fruit and veg, and next to no meat.

McEwan

Jan 30, 2020
I'm just outside of London. Apparently a 30 minute wait to get into the big tesco, and I hear there's fuck all in there. The small supermarkets, the Tesco Metros and little Coop have fuck all fresh fruit and veg, and next to no meat.

I wonder if it is folk still panic buying or a break down in the system....

DJ_Lae

Oct 27, 2017
Edmonton
I think I waited about ten minutes to get into Costco earlier in the week. Today I picked up some smaller stuff at another grocery store and there was no wait. Both stores have plexiglass shields up by the cashiers and painted/taped lines for social distancing.

Meat, frozen veggies, pasta, baking supplies and canned goods were looking pretty empty on the shelves, though.

I'd use some of the pickup/delivery services but if I ordered right now the earliest time slot I can get for grocery pickup is the afternoon of April 6th. Which is goddamn ridiculous. Plus there are some things that seem to have been removed from online ordering, so if I wanted flour I have to pick it up myself and cross my fingers that it's even in stock. I'd sooner be careful and wash my hands than wait over a week for someone to pick out my groceries.

Deleted member 21709

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Not worth going for a few things. (Unless you do not live in a major city)

Order groceries online if you can.

Oct 26, 2017
Over here in Southern California the demand has gone down and the supply is slowly getting back to normal. It's early in the afternoon and Costco still has water and paper towels for sale, just no toilet paper. Meat is readily available at every supermarket after facing shortages the last 2 to 3 weeks.

In regards to disinfectant sprays and hand sanitizer, those are still hard to obtain unless you wait in line early in the morning at Costco, Walmart, Target etc...People are definitely hoarding the shit out of those bacteria killing items. I got lucky by purchasing some 70% isopropyl alcohol and filled a sprayer bottle that I take with me everywhere.

I just realized I have some 99,5% isopropyl that I bought for paint stripping. It's hazardous but maybe I could mix it down.

pokeystaples

Oct 27, 2017
When we went last week I had my wife up at 5:15 so we could get in line at 6:00 for open at 7. We were like 20th in line. Got in and out then off to Target for their 8 open. About 30th in line. Repeat line up at Trader Joe's for their 9 am open. We were in the 3rd grouping allowed in. Completely done by 10. Just gotta get up early, have a plan and be down to wait. I brought my switch with me, but I kept getting nervous about dropping it since I had gloves on.

DrForester

Mod of the Year 2006
Oct 25, 2017
Ii live in the SE Denver area on the edge of the suberbs, and I've been going to a more rural grocery store about 30 minutes away. Not that crowded, better stock than other places (though still out of a lot), and it gets me out of the house on a nice drive for a bit.

Fulminator

Oct 25, 2017
I live in Boston , no lines at all. Super Markets have been less crowded than normal. (At least the Stop and Shop/Whole Foods by my apartment.)

OP
OP
Seductivpancakes

Seductivpancakes

user requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Brooklyn
OP, why did you wait this long? Arent there other supermarkets around you??
We're Chinese and my mom insist on buying Chinese produce. I have no issues going to other non Chinese markets, but I wasn't gonna let my mom stand there alone.

Found this on reddit, OP:

www.worldjournal.com

〈圖輯〉紐約多家華人超市 下周被迫暫歇業 民眾「全副武裝」搶購 - 世界新聞網

紐約市新冠肺炎疫情嚴峻,28日盛傳眾多華人超市未來一周將關門,導致各區華人超市出現大排長龍搶購場景。多名超市業 …
This explains everything.

Nude_Tayne

Jan 8, 2018
earth
I was at the main local supermarket here in Madison yesterday afternoon and the store was less crowded than it normally is. Weird how it's so different from place to place.

Mathieran

Oct 25, 2017
I haven't experienced any lines like that. The grocery store I frequent is busier than normal, but I've seen worse when we have impeding hurricanes

Quad Lasers

Oct 26, 2017
Kroger I went to here in Houston was in significantly better shape yesterday than last weekend.

Still can't find TP/hand sanitizer/rubbing alcohol of course, but people at least seem to not be losing their god damn minds as much over the food.

Phonzo

Oct 26, 2017
This was a Chinese supermarket in Brooklyn.

My mom and I only needed a few things, but we decided to wait it out just in case it gets worse in NYC, and we'll limit the need to venture out for food.

The supermarket opened at 10 AM but people were lining up since 7 AM. I got there at 10AM, and got home like 15 mins ago. The line wrapped around the block twice, and they were only letting 10 people in at a time. People are just buying two shopping cards worth of groceries, which is why it took forever to get there.

The thing was the supermarket was filled with goods. Some stuff like brown eggs, (don't know why Chinese people don't like white eggs) and chicken wings were sold out. I did hear a few Chinese Supermarkets did close, cause no one wanted to work during a pandemic, so everyone is just going mad on groceries right now.

So how's your grocery shopping like so far?
Which supermarket? when i brought my dad last week there was no line.

Is it Fei long in Brooklyn? My dad has been going to J Mart.

henhowc

Oct 26, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Wow that's insane.

From what I can tell its not as bad in Socal anymore. Probably because places started placing limits on certain items. That and the dumb hoarders already got all their shit.

Still somewhat harder to get stuff like milk, eggs, etc. unless you go earlier in the day.

sfedai0

Oct 27, 2017
We're Chinese and my mom insist on buying Chinese produce. I have no issues going to other non Chinese markets, but I wasn't gonna let my mom stand there alone.

This explains everything.

Huh, Im chinese too but aside from cheaper prices, the chinese stores produce arent any different from other stores. I dontk know your situation, but I straight told my mom to lock herself in let me do the shopping for her if she needs anything.

Oct 28, 2017
Wow that's insane.

From what I can tell its not as bad in Socal anymore. Probably because places started placing limits on certain items. That and the dumb hoarders already got all their shit.

Still somewhat hard to get stuff like milk, eggs, etc. unless you go earlier in the day.

Most places I've been to put a 2 item limit. I saw one guy put his stuff in his car and went back in which I guess is allowed or unenforceable.

andymcc

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, OH
my grocery store has slightly longer lines than usual but they have mostly everything in stock

except yeast.

bro where is all the yeast.

Incandenza

Oct 25, 2017
I live in Manhattan and can see a Trader Joe's from my window. For the past several days, there has always been a line stretching around the block to get in. Morning, noon and night. And keep in mind it's been rainy and miserable all weekend here. People are still lining up.

CrocM

Oct 25, 2017
I also live in brooklyn and longest i've had to wait was 10 minutes...this must be a specialty supermarket?

patientzero

Oct 25, 2017
NE Ohio, stores are plenty stocked right now and I've not had to wait in a line for over a week. People here are just plain avoiding everywhere.

Acinixys

Banned
Nov 15, 2017
Here in the UK I keep hearing how there's enough food to go around. So far I'm not convinced.

Like I said in another thread, the food is there

It's the supply chain that's the issue

A store can only receive and pack out so much stock a day. Plus the suppliers have to supply everyone with everything, which means deliveries are slower.

OP
OP
Seductivpancakes

Seductivpancakes

user requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Brooklyn
Huh, Im chinese too but aside from cheaper prices, the chinese stores produce arent any different from other stores. I dontk know your situation, but I straight told my mom to lock herself in let me do the shopping for her if she needs anything.
She needs her Chinese vegetables and I was just telling her if we need more food again we can just go to the other non Chinese supermarkets but she says their meats are not fresh, so yea. It's an uphill battle with her, but I'm gonna make sure this isn't gonna happen again cause I have a feeling it's gonna be like this till May.

Which supermarket? when i brought my dad last week there was no line.

Is it Fei long in Brooklyn? My dad has been going to J Mart.
HL on Fort Hamilton Parkway. My mom heard Fei Long is just as bad.

Oct 25, 2017
I went to a couple of Chinese grocery stores in Manhattan's Chinatown last weekend and they weren't too packed. The whole area around HK Supermarket was kind of empty actually. H Mart hasn't been too bad either, though that's obviously not what you need if your mom wants fresh Chinese produce.

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018
I walked in and out of the grocery store in minutes. There were however complete morons wrapped around the block for the starbucks drive thru

OP
OP
Seductivpancakes

Seductivpancakes

user requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Brooklyn
I went to a couple of Chinese grocery stores in Manhattan's Chinatown last weekend and they weren't too packed. The whole area around HK Supermarket was kind of empty actually. H Mart hasn't been too bad either, though that's obviously not what you need if your mom wants fresh Chinese produce.
I'm just gonna get her to eat more carrots, celery, and onions. She likes those and they sell those everywhere.

henhowc

Oct 26, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
I live in Manhattan and can see a Trader Joe's from my window. For the past several days, there has always been a line stretching around the block to get in. Morning, noon and night. And keep in mind it's been rainy and miserable all weekend here. People are still lining up.

The trader joe's near me in los angeles was limiting the amount of customers they allow into the market. Not sure if that's policy all around but I'm sure its even worse in new york since you guys get a lot more foot traffic.

OP
OP
Seductivpancakes

Seductivpancakes

user requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Brooklyn
Yeah I would immediately bounce.

The police should have dispersed those people.

NY is such a hot zone that that is insane.
I don't think can cause it's an essential people get their food.

A cop car did show up to tell people to not stand so close to each other. Should have been the supermarket's responsibility to make sure people keep their distance but I think they're under staff since no one wants to risk their health going to work at a super market.