• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

digitalrelic

Weight Loss Champion 2018: Biggest Change
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's crazy how high the resell value is for One X consoles right now. I sold it for $250 on FB Marketplace and honestly probably could've gotten more out of it. Seems like a lot of parents looking for Series S|X consoles but are frustrated at the lack of availability so they're just buying One X's instead.

Anyway, Walmart has/had some Series S consoles in stock this morning so I went ahead and purchased it. So a $50 difference for a new console, plus I get a new fancy controller out of the deal.

Should be a perfect secondary console to put in the basement / pair with my Series X & PS5. It's a good solution for my wife and I to play games together. one on Series X and the other on Series S. Excited to check it out!

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
123mhk9n.jpg

OP
OP
digitalrelic

digitalrelic

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Series S for $300??

I recently bought an Xbone X. Might do this. Just wish the Series S had a black variant. I'm mostly digital so I may just do this.
It really doesn't make sense to hang onto the One X with how much you can sell it for nowadays. For an extra 50 bucks for the Series S, you'll be gaining:
  • 60fps support for many games
  • Auto HDR support
  • Quick Resume support
  • Super quick load times from that SSD
  • All current-gen games will look/run as good or better than One X
  • New Series S|X controller
  • Smaller/lighter console
  • Much lower power draw compared to One X
  • Ability to play next-gen only games as they arrive
The one and only drawback is that you'll be playing the Xbox One S version of backwards compatible games rather than the One X Enhanced versions. That doesn't bother me as I still have my Series X for that, but it may be a dealbreaker for some.

Deleted member 10193

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I originally got the Series X but sold it to a friend and bought the Series S. It's a cracking little Gamepass machine.

AppleKid

Feb 21, 2018
Haha thanks for the alert on Walmart Series S stock OP. Just managed to secure one for my sister who has been looking

Deleted member 11008

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
The one and only drawback is that you'll be playing the Xbox One S version of backwards compatible games rather than the One X Enhanced versions. That doesn't bother me as I still have my Series X for that, but it may be a dealbreaker for some.

That bothered me a bit, but honestly after have a PS4 Slim for two years and how I enjoyed Bloodborne despite the performance, I thought a Series S would be fine for me. Beside, I got it a good price at my country (still a bit more than 300 dollars, but less than 350 lol), and I didn't wanted miss the chance.

ergoakari

Oct 28, 2017
Canada
Congrats! I did the same thing. Even though the GPU is better on the one x and some games will run better/ look better on the one x (anything gpu bound), the series s is such a neat little machine. I love the way it looks.

OP
OP
digitalrelic

digitalrelic

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
And needing a costly HDD upgrade soon-ish.

I understand everyone has different preferences, but an all digital console, especially a weaker alternative with lesser SDD space, would be a pass for me.
I've been all digital for four years now. Never going back to physical.

And I'll have no need to add storage to it, ever. It's a secondary console.

Oct 25, 2017
It really doesn't make sense to hang onto the One X with how much you can sell it for nowadays. For an extra 50 bucks for the Series S, you'll be gaining:
  • Auto HDR support
  • Quick Resume support
You also lose the ability to play physical media including UHD blu rays.

Guy Legend

Sep 22, 2020
Downgrade complete?

There's some trade offs losing One X for series S (4k visuals, disc drive, 1tb storage).

Last edited:

anderson64

Jun 14, 2019
Had to read this twice- thought you meant Series X and had my "you lost your ass" comment ready to go lmao

TechMetalRules

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Sep 11, 2019
United States
That's awesome! I'm slightly tempted to do this, but I think I'll be alright waiting for a Series X.

*Edit: Oops... I forgot the Series S was digital only, so I guess I'll be waiting for an XSX either way, haha!

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
This has got me considering doing this. I have a Series X in my games room but also have a One X in a box sat next to (obviously) not being used.

Would I rather have a Series S for only ÂŁ50ish more after a trade-in and have that in another room in the house/ready to take away when I'm travelling? Hmmm....

I've already got the Seagate expansion card to so can easily hotswap my games between the consoles in a flash.

OP
OP
digitalrelic

digitalrelic

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This has got me considering doing this. I have a Series X in my games room but also have a One X in a box sat next to (obviously) not being used.

Would I rather have a Series S for only ÂŁ50ish more after a trade-in and have that in another room in the house/ready to take away when I'm travelling? Hmmm....

I've already got the Seagate expansion card to so can easily hotswap my games between the consoles in a flash.
Yep, that was my scenario. I had my One X in the basement and I haven't used it since I got my Series X. But I know I'll be using it from time to time (hot summer days, or when my wife and I want to play something together that supports online co-op but doesn't support local co-op). Plus I have a Seagate expansion card as well, so it'll be so easy to move games between the consoles. It was a no-brainer, really.

Buff Beefbroth

Chicken Chaser
Apr 12, 2018
Where are you people even finding any of the new consoles? The X and the S are both sold out everywhere I look.

OP
OP
digitalrelic

digitalrelic

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Where are you people even finding any of the new consoles? The X and the S are both sold out everywhere I look.
Series S was in stock at Walmart this morning. Just went out of stock about 10-15 minutes ago.

Keep an eye out, follow Wario64 on Twitter, and you'll be able to nab one within a week or two.

Deleted member 11008

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017

Honestly if I had both a Series X and a One X, I would do the same than OP just for the extra controller (and because the Series S is small, seriously, you will love it if you travel a lot) Not that sure about get the expansion card yet, I guess One games without One X support has the same binaries everywhere, but beyond that could be tricky.

MikeE21286

Oct 27, 2017

Does the expansion card easily move between the consoles? I have that

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Downgrade complete?

There's some trade offs losing One X for series S (4k visuals, disc drive, 1tb storage).

These downgrades are all massively lessened presumably when you already have a Series X and this is to be a secondary, extra console in the house like OP is suggesting.

Replicant

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
MN
  • Auto HDR support
  • Quick Resume support
Well it's a big fucking deal if my entire xbox collection is physical. If I went series S only I'd have to repurchase my entire collection aside from what's on game pass

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Does the expansion card easily move between the consoles? I have that

It's literally plug and play. Just whip it out and stick it in another Xbox and you're good to go with all the games that are on it.

Don't even need to turn off the console or anything. Can happily unplug it/plug it in all day while the Xbox is on.

molnizzle

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is a big dealbreaker, to be fair. The souped-up BC is the only reason I even keep the Xbox around. It's very disappointing (and frankly unacceptable) that a "next gen" console is running the One S versions of BC titles.

OP
OP
digitalrelic

digitalrelic

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Well it's a big fucking deal if my entire xbox collection is physical. If I went series S only I'd have to repurchase my entire collection aside from what's on game pass
Well yeah I suppose, obviously you probably don't want an all-digital console if your entire library is physical lol.

Last edited:
OP
OP
digitalrelic

digitalrelic

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is a big dealbreaker, to be fair. The souped-up BC is the only reason I even keep the Xbox around. It's very disappointing (and frankly unacceptable) that a "next gen" console is running the One S versions of BC titles.
The Series S is intended for casual gamers that don't care much about 4k, and for owners like myself that are buying it as a secondary/Game Pass console. So in that context, it's not a big deal.

Like I said though, I see how it could be a dealbreaker for some. At least you're still gaining increased/rock-solid framerates and 16x AF with BC games on Series S.

molnizzle

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Series S is intended for casual gamers that don't care much about 4k, and for owners like myself that are buying it as a secondary/Game Pass console. So in that context, it's not a big deal.

Like I said though, I see how it could be a dealbreaker for some. At least you're still gaining increased/rock-solid framerates and 16x AF with BC games on Series S.
Those gamers would presumably not have a One X though. They'd have a a base Xbone or One S.

Replicant

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
MN
I mean, yeah. That's kind of a "you problem" though.
It's a lot of people problem. Lots of people buy physical games. And it's absolutely foolish for Ms not to have a way to transfer your physical games to a digital license. Even if it meant the disc could no longer be used again after the drm check.

Or if they could release a disc add on only sold online or something. I mean the disc are just keys now anyway.