• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

djplaeskool

Oct 26, 2017
Even for a dumb popcorn flick, Great Wall is REALLY dumb. It's still pretty entertaining though.

Deleted member 44129

User requested account closure
Banned
May 29, 2018

Bruh, like what? What's the point of bungee jump spearing down like that? Like what?????

Edit: Woops wrong section. Help Mods & admin

To me this just seemed pretty dumb, but fantastical in a tradition of Chinese and Hong Kong Cinema. Go check out Legend of Zu: Warriors of The Magic Mountain, or the remake Legends of Zu. It's pretty out there.

Pirateluigi

Oct 27, 2017
I'm more shaking my head at "aim for the eyes" of moving targets a thousand yards away that are already shrouded by dust, smoke, and fire.

kmfdmpig

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I love Hero and House of Flying Daggers, both by the same director.
This does look dumb, however. I particularly love at 1:20 when the archer takes forever to aim his shot. You're firing at a large mass of enemies just shoot an arrow and you'll hit something. No need to take a long time to measure up the shot with care.

I do, however, love nun-chuck drums.

SJRB

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
I like how even Pedro Pascal was like "the fuck are they doing" during those Crane jumpers.

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I hope those white guys save those inscrutably sexy-cocquettishly innocent exotic women.

Griselbrand

Oct 26, 2017
They think they are dragoons from FF series.

That's the first thing I thought of too. Would have been way better if they used their long spears to launch themselves around the battlefield since I'm guessing they're regular humans otherwise.

Wouldn't be as cool as FF Dragoons though.

Skip to 4:15.

Loxley

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
If you embrace how utterly fucking stupid this movie is, it's a fun time.

spineduke

Oct 25, 2017
are people bleeding green in this movie? Could have sworn i saw green when they started chewing at the dangling treats

Praxis

Sausage Tycoon
Oct 25, 2017
UK
I can't stand anything about it. The way it's filmed, the music, the armour. Nothing

CaviarMeths

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Western Canada
Zhang Yimou has spent pretty much his entire career making nationalist propaganda films, but man... they used to be good propaganda films.

At least his costume and production design is still on point. Dude is an artist, no mistake about that.

NaDannMaGoGo

Oct 25, 2017
Lmao. I love how it immediately shows how nonsensical it is even in-universe. Most just get gobbled up at once. *single clap*

Skyball Paint

Nov 12, 2017
Immediately reminds me of Starship Troopers, except that movie was a satire and the cg monsters look way better.

Kapryov

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
Wow, I completely forgot about this movie.
It was on TV once, around this scene, and we watched a decent chunk of it before giving up and turning it off. Somehow this was removed from my memories until I saw that clip, and even then it's hard to recall.

Yeah, it's dumb.
Going back to forgetting about it again. Forgotten for a reason.

kubev

Oct 25, 2017
California
I agree that the spear thing is dumb, but this scene's got nothing on the car bomb scene from Transporter 2.

It always bums me out that I can't find that clip in the proper aspect ratio, FYI.

Deleted member 43

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
The Crane Corps would have made sense if their job was to attack some sort of ultra enemy that couldn't be taken down via any other means and was worth sacrificing a massive amount of troops to defeat.

I'm sad I thought even this much about the movie.

SimonSimon

Alt Account
Mar 26, 2020
None of these scenes have anything on the time that Chris O'Dowd's arm became sentient and wrote him a message.

Unfortunately, this clip leaves out the best part. He then goes on to say "What are you talking about, arm!?" and "My arm helped us find the Earth!"

Nobody else seemed to realize they were in a comedy except Chris O'Dowd. God bless him.