• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

SofNascimento

cursed
Oct 28, 2017
São Paulo - Brazil
I'm a bit awestruck right now.

I've been a fan of space since forever, but I mostly experience it from a screen. Sure, I see the night sky everyday, but on account of the place where I live I can count in the fingers the number of stars/planets I can see at night. I never seen a launch or used a more sophisticated equipment to see the heavenly bodies.

So looking at the sky right now, and seeing dozen of bright dots, moving incredible fast and in clear lines was incredible. I could clearly see 3, possibly 4 trajectories and one after the other they passed overhead. I didn't count but there were 2 or 3 dozens, maybe more. It felt surreal. The stuff of science fiction.

And knowing what they are, and that it was humans that put them there is something else.

Anyway, just wanted to share it. I think for a lot of people there still a chance of seeing them today. My advice is: don't miss it.

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
Seeing them was amazing, it was something straight outta of a sci-fi movie. A very surreal sight.

Also, these fuckers haven't flown over here in a while. I keep checking the website but nothing for a while.

swift-darius

May 10, 2018
abysmal light pollution, and unfortunately likely the start of much worse in the future. I wish stuff like this would be regulated; I find it atrocious personally

GYODX

Oct 27, 2017
The light intensity should fade as they climb into higher orbit. But yes, there definitely needs to be a regulatory body for this kind of stuff (just as there is for things like radio frequency spectrum allocations).

Lord Fanny

Banned
Apr 25, 2020
I wonder if you shoot all the unsold copies of Starlink into the space could you see them from the Earth

kess

Oct 27, 2017
You don't have to look up to Elon anymore, now he can look down on you.

OP
OP
SofNascimento

SofNascimento

cursed
Oct 28, 2017
São Paulo - Brazil
Seeing them was amazing, it was something straight outta of a sci-fi movie. A very surreal sight.

Also, these fuckers haven't flown over here in a while. I keep checking the website but nothing for a while.

I didn't even know you could see with the naked eye until today. Or at least not in a big city...

Also, just saw the ISS a few minutes ago. It look like a distant airplane... the incrdible thing about the Starlink is how many of those satallites are there, and moving all in the same trajectory.

It's anormal.

Xe4

Oct 25, 2017
Living in an area with single ISP, I feel very conflicted over modern satellite internet.

On one hand the light pollution is going to be hard to ignore, not just from Starlink, but all other satellite constellations put up by other companies. This is especially hard as someone who loves astronomy and stargazing.

But companies coasting on garbage service and internet speed by virtue of being the *only* available option really need to be taken down a notch, the scum.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Dark Knight

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
abysmal light pollution, and unfortunately likely the start of much worse in the future. I wish stuff like this would be regulated; I find it atrocious personally
What do you think the answer is? To play devil's advocate, should humans not progress in order to leave the natural splendor of the universe intact? What would regulation do in this case, is what I'm asking.

Twstr709

Oct 27, 2017
What do you think the answer is? To play devil's advocate, should humans not progress in order to leave the natural splendor of the universe intact? What would regulation do in this case, is what I'm asking.
Making the satellites less reflective. It's been requested, but hasn't been done yet as of the last launch in April.

tATu

Alt Account
Mar 18, 2020
Making the satellites less reflective. It's been requested, but hasn't been done yet as of the last launch in April.

They're going to start launching less reflective starlink satalites with Launch 9, possibly Launch 8. Launch 8 is slated for May 17th and Launch 9 is listed as late May

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
For those trashing this, it's something I've been feeling about major cities and horizons disappearing in favor of giant slabs blocking a more wondrous view. I think playing Spider-Man PS4 triggered this thought. A sense of claustrophobia knowing you'll never have a good glimpse of the horizon from ground level in the middle of the city.

I imagine if the night sky starts filling up with viral constellations and ads and service satellites, it'd be equivalent to this notion. What can you do?

Gashprex

Oct 25, 2017

Its amazing how short sighted people can be - Starlink is intended to provide high speed internet access to rural and undeserved areas. There is also a great possibility that in countries where the internet is controlled by the government that it could bypass government censorship to allow its citizens to access uncensored information.

They are already reducing the light issues and believe they have solved moving forward. But by all means, only focus on potential light pollution instead of the potential benefits.

visorsat.jpg

"Our objectives, generally, are to make the satellites invisible to the naked eye within a week, and to minimize the impact on astronomy, especially so that we do not saturate observatory detectors and inhibit discoveries," Musk said.

SpaceX is planning test VisorSat on the company's next Starlink launch. "It's a bit of a challenge, but that's our goal," he said. He didn't say how many satellites would be equipped with visors, or when the launch was scheduled. SpaceX has been performing Starlink launches at the rate of at least one a month so far this year, most recently April 22.

spacenews.com

SpaceX to test Starlink “sun visor” to reduce brightness

SpaceX CEO Elon Musk said April 27 that he hopes to test a new way to reduce the brightness of the company’s Starlink satellites on the next launch.

Ryno23

Banned
Dec 13, 2017
User banned (3 months): severe inflammatory generalisation, multiple prior related infractions

Before the inevitable posts complaining about this, should stop to consider just how profound this is. Gigabit speed low latency internet to an entire continent that's never had any internet infrastructure before and likely never would have.

swift-darius

May 10, 2018
Its amazing how short sighted people can be - Starlink is intended to provide high speed internet access to rural and undeserved areas. There is also a great possibility that in countries where the internet is controlled by the government that it could bypass government censorship to allow its citizens to access uncensored information.

They are already reducing the light issues and believe they have solved moving forward. But by all means, only focus on potential light pollution instead of the potential benefits.

yeah, because sending up swarms of private satellites without accounting for the planet-wide night-sky disruption isn't short-sighted

Deleted member 62561

Dec 31, 2019

Before the inevitable posts complaining about this, should stop to consider just how profound this is. Gigabit speed low latency internet to an entire continent that's never had any internet infrastructure before and likely never would have.

Africa would NEVER have internet without elon? at any point? 10,000 years from now they'd still be waiting?

Deleted member 25600

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017

visorsat.jpg

spacenews.com

SpaceX to test Starlink “sun visor” to reduce brightness

SpaceX CEO Elon Musk said April 27 that he hopes to test a new way to reduce the brightness of the company’s Starlink satellites on the next launch.
Hey, maybe stop the launches until that solution is able to be implemented? Maybe? No?

Spinluck

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Chicago
That is so dope, I wanna see this one night :(

Also, what are the downsides of light pollution from these satellites? I can't imagine that it is significant.

Before the inevitable posts complaining about this, we should stop to consider just how profound this is. Gigabit speed low latency internet to an entire continent that's never had any internet infrastructure before and likely never would have.

ERA might explode if Starlink is remotely successful.

Africa would NEVER have internet without elon? at any point? 10,000 years from now they'd still be waiting?

Do you know of anyone else doing anything similar?

Who is working on getting Africa low latency gigabit-speed internet?

Shit, I live in Chicago and don't even have that.

Oct 26, 2017
Yep. We as a species can't figure out how to make shit better for people without also fucking it up for future generations at the same time. Although, I'm not as concerned with light pollution as I am with space junk.

Magic-Man

User requested ban
Feb 5, 2019
Epic Universe
Ehh, I've never really seen the stars anyways. Not the way they should be seen. That's downside of living in a massively urban area, you'll never be able to do or see certain things without leaving.

If this provides internet access to billions of people, I'm all for it. Stargazing isn't worth keeping people in the dark (in terms of the internet) for longer than necessary.

Oct 27, 2017
I mean the sooner the better. If I was living in Africa I would very much say that it's worth it.

Much of Africa already has internet through either wireless or broadband access. Africa isn't some monolithic, tribal place. There are big, modern cities there along with the rural, less-developed areas. I mean, the US has both NYC and rural Appalachia, for example.

I'm not knocking this idea, just pointing out that Africa isn't a primitive place unrelated to the rest of the world.

zashga

Losing is fun
Oct 28, 2017
Can't really see them since I live in a big city, but it's funny to think these would be more visible in a location that would traditionally allow for more "pristine" nighttime views. Not sure how I feel about it, honestly. It's kind of concerning to think how many more private satellites will be up there, changing the night sky and becoming a hazard for future space flight.

Nov 1, 2017
As much as it sucks, I'll take some a bit of light pollution over being perpetually gouged by shitty satellite companies for worthless internet, thanks.

sangreal

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

the entire continent of Africa has never had any internet infrastructure?

Gashprex

Oct 25, 2017
Hey, maybe stop the launches until that solution is able to be implemented? Maybe? No?

Given the very minimal amount launched thus far and they deorbit after 5 years automatically there is really no reason to wait (verified to be working). The space junk argument really has no basis in reality when it comes to Starlink.\

And nobody is claiming it will provide internet to all of Africa, its for rural areas with no access. Running broadband lines in remote areas is prohibitively expensive.

With respect to light pollution, the satellites won't be visible to the naked eye when they reach final orbit - the concern is with long exposure astronomy photos.

OP
OP
SofNascimento

SofNascimento

cursed
Oct 28, 2017
São Paulo - Brazil
Can't really see them since I live in a big city, but it's funny to think these would be more visible in a location that would traditionally allow for more "pristine" nighttime views. Not sure how I feel about it, honestly. It's kind of concerning to think how many more private satellites will be up there, changing the night sky and becoming a hazard for future space flight.

I live in a big city an they looked spetacular.

Deleted member 2328

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm more worried about the space debris issue than light pollution.
I would be more at ease if they were sure to burn in the atmosphere after a set number of orbits. But even then the deployment itself is very dangerous in that regard and there's no telling if other companies will start deploying similar systems.

deimosmasque

Ugly, Queer, Gender-Fluid, Drive-In Mutant, yes?
Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl
I'm more worried about the space debris issue than light pollution.
I would be more at ease if they were sure to burn in the atmosphere after a set number of orbits. But even then the deployment itself is very dangerous in that regard and there's no telling if other companies will start deploying similar systems.

From all I've read they burn up completely when they deorbit. 15 have already been deorbited and burned up in the atmosphere.

Barzul

Oct 25, 2017

Ok I admire the goal of starlink and I'm just going to guess you got a bit overzealous with your post. The continent (its fucking huge) definitely has internet, datacenters, broadband, LTE etc. I know this because well I'm African (Nigeria) and was there last year. Now are there large swathes severely underserved areas that would do well to have internet options that are more accessible? Yes definitely. I'd just say this Elon has made several grand proclamations and while he has followed up on a number of them, some of them end up being watered down or even not being done at all. I know this, I own a Tesla so I've experienced it enough times to say that a tweet from Elon means it's something one of his companies is looking to implement, how it turns out is another matter completely.

Deleted member 2328

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
From all I've read they burn up completely when they deorbit. 15 have already been deorbited and burned up in the atmosphere.
That's if the deployment is successful and there are no collisions that may take them out of their intended orbit. There was already one near miss with an existing satellite and I can only imagine the situation after more frequent launches and when other operators join in.
This thing needs to be regulated ASAP.

mutantmagnet

Oct 28, 2017
African countries have internet. It's limited in most places but they have it.

TheOne

Alt Account
Banned
May 25, 2019
That's if the deployment is successful and there are no collisions that may take them out of their intended orbit. There was already one near miss with an existing satellite and I can only imagine the situation after more frequent launches and when other operators join in.
This thing needs to be regulated ASAP.

Shit yes. It's not hard at all to imagine a situation akin to Gravity, that is, destructive chain-reaction. The more they launch these fuckers, the bigger the risk for it to happen. The idea is awesome, but I feel like Space X makes too much of an advancement in this field in such a short amount of time that it's hard to believe they're thinking as much as possible of everything that might happen. What drives Space X first and foremost is money.

Ayato_Kanzaki

Nov 22, 2017

It will be regulated, but as usual, only after the catastrophe happens. We already lose several satellites to debris each year when there's around 6500 or them. Tesla want to put what, 49 000 Skylink satellites on low orbit? We're about to get a Kessler syndrome. Last year there nearly was a collision between a skylink and another satellite, and the team in charge of the skylink had not reacted.

We're going to get stuck on the ground for decades, and it will be because of the hubris of a single man, and the complacency of governements.