• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Jun 2, 2019
So i got tired of having my New 3DS rolling through the room and going in and out its case, it's been moving around so much that my beloved Xenoblade face and backplates are full of scratches, and the charger is always in some drawer, with its cable entangled (This happens a lot when you share portables with your nephews).

Looking for solutions, i unexpectedly found an official charging dock on Amazon without crazy shipping costs (It's usually 10 € of shipping or more) and ordered it. Not only it came home stupidly fast, but it's also really elegant and classy

4BnZTzQUYMJrUgLZ0vQW9QrC61Tozq1GFm0yQArSaR2RXiThabQfQFvDJtwmw13W9gN6nbNvnm20KEf3Np7T1bZaA1m1DC-kuYXqtXGFrl6rgj29tWDv_w4qgOxIKkW7UDrR5-hFa8kz4SAZTess6HZJe5Duca25HcjjR08nOAE8gmQDjU7Afsn3aEUVfr5Zb5Evnis5dB10110irP4lZWSJazJZQnKOC8M3BNrpLsGQ9Bdg5E5W7x5d6uqq4bVV_HU94tymL7bcfdJyRHKXpcXPuBTG1VScB2anjsmZMVW7zQ-hO7FbcdGtUzEESaTQX7HawcZN-7Nh301iMx0Wxo6CDiR_T0Y4AQ9YxfHbKGLX-kC3blJflEBUcKHWyAus6vP_9ukirT5tjb4gjCtCyQ3sLeE7X2ICj3TNpAc9I1H7unyE3Z6Ztpz6K1zNls3OkxyKPGwEg3O5zbCUbeyh7rBqBZdtvjtq4gUIL0g_Nsf1dukYJc6MkB9D3IeY-wQ-V6YMy6CzVxs4Z6FEttd1l9VQOEuoeP8F3KacLvxkL3U6z3rzcABvgsBId9o0JR5Li7Jcw2b3nQP1KapXmSaYuKDAFjBLzaHJwurFcmqfrOnZQ2wyqbO0rcR_uZ2fF1T1p_X90bk40hbzPhsboAZgQOUJ81GHgZD3pQO-aDLFFgFo-D0zqXh0NBc=w1741-h944-no

It cuts out all the bullshit, the connector hides neatly inside it and the cable doesn't bend inside it. Also, that small cutout for the StreetPass/SpotPass led is a cute detail.

It's also a bit of a tigh fit, but i prefer it like that, given how easily the original 3DS' dock deteriorated and became unable to charge my console, that was some NES cartridge slot bullshit.

And that's it, just a neat detail, didn't expect it to look so elegant, almost looks designed for exhibition purposes.

Lunchbox

ƃuoɹʍ ʇᴉ ƃuᴉop ǝɹ,noʎ 'ʇɥƃᴉɹ sᴉɥʇ pɐǝɹ noʎ ɟI
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Rip City
Holy shit, I need this maybe I'm the weird one but I play my 3DS/DS games still religiously. Post a link wtf, I need one for N3DS XL

Lukar

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Been considering getting one for my 2DS XL. Would be nice to have a dedicated spot to place it.

OP
OP
Reinhardt Schneider
Jun 2, 2019
Feb 15, 2018
Yeah I got something similar a couple of years ago. Really nice. I have it plugged in to my Switch USB. Circle of life and all that.

Oct 27, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
Yeah I got this for my n3DSXL (at launch I think?) and it's great. Fits in really well on a desk. The 3DS dock was pretty nice too but I definitely like the vertical stand for the n3DS charging dock more.

Also that cover on your system kind of makes me wish I had a regular n3DS instead. So many of those covers looked really cool.

ryushe

Oct 27, 2017
I currently own three *New* 3DS' (One XL, one non-XL for homebrew and a Japanese unit) and I have a charging dock for each one.

And honestly, before this thread, I thought these came standard with the *new* units, so I was like "What's the big deal?" when I read the title. Totally forgot they didn't, hah.

OP
OP
Reinhardt Schneider
Jun 2, 2019
I suppose you have the Xenoblade theme on your 3DS too?

Honestly i don't remember wich themes i have, i remember having bought the Ace Combat one and a few others. Maybe i got caught in the hype and purchased the Xenoblade theme.

(I should do it, frankly)

Also that cover on your system kind of makes me wish I had a regular n3DS instead. So many of those covers looked really cool.

Yeah, it's quite nice, but to be honest, i envy some special editions XL releases. Also faceplates are becoming increasingly difficult to find.

I've bought a replacement one on ebay, allegedly an offical one, and it still dies after an hour, and doesn't hold in sleep mode at all.
There must be another hardware malfunction...

Probably OEM but already tired. Stores and sellers take those from dead consoles and well, their life may vary.

supervino256

Aug 14, 2019
The New 3DS and New 3DS XL are really cool. The colored buttons, custom covers (along with custom theme for the OS) really made the console feel unique.

Lukar

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Anyone have recommendations for a New 2DS XL dock? Looks like the NoA store doesn't have them anymore.

Deleted member 30395

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 3, 2017
Notice some people saying they have it plugged in via USB - are those third party USB leads any good? Can't find an official charger now without paying nearly as much as I did for the console!

PARAdoja

Oct 27, 2017
I've bought a replacement one on ebay, allegedly an offical one, and it still dies after an hour, and doesn't hold in sleep mode at all.
There must be another hardware malfunction...

You don't have flashcart, right? Specifically, the 1st Gen dsTWO drains battery all the time, even in sleepmode. The 2nd Gen, dstwo plus should have this fixed, tho...

That n3DS looks effing great. I have a Galaxy XL (gift from a friend) and want to change the case so bad lol

ss_lemonade

Oct 27, 2017
Isn't this only for the smaller n3ds? I have a 3rd party dock for my n3ds xl but it looks different, with the sides cut open so it works for both sizes. That means you have to position it properly in the center though when docking the xl.

I may be the odd one but I remember liking my og 3ds cradle which just requires your 3ds to lay flat instead of standing.

I was about to link you to a Sony branded one on Amazon, but it was like $50 used! What the hell?! When did that happen?
Yeah, they're expensive for some reason (probably stopped manufacturing them). I should have bought one before when they were readily available

OP
OP
Reinhardt Schneider
Jun 2, 2019
Y'all are docking your 3ds'es? Had no idea these existed.

Crazy, right? Nintendo not including it with the console being the o3DS dockable was a mistake. It's such an upgrade it becomes awesome to have the console around now

Isn't this only for the smaller n3ds? I have a 3rd party dock for my n3ds xl but it looks different, with the sides cut open so it works for both sizes. That means you have to position it properly in the center though when docking the xl.

I may be the odd one but I remember liking my og 3ds cradle which just requires your 3ds to lay flat instead of standing.

There's also a N3DS XL dock, and it's in fact easier to find than the normal sized one.

I liked the o3DS dock too, but it broke too easily and left the cable unprotected, wich ended up leading to the plug breaking in a bad accident in my case. It didn't take long for it to stop charging my 3DS too.

Oct 29, 2017
Yeah, those 3DS docks are great. Best thing Nintendo did was including one with every original 3DS model; made it so much easier and more elegent to charge the thing when you're not using it (which went a long way towards mitigating the pitiful battery life).

I do wish that the New3DS dock could also be used as a display stand though; like the original 3DS stand. Bit of a shame that you can't do that.

dock

Game Designer
Verified
Nov 5, 2017
I have this charging dock but never use it because it was fiddly to position in a way that charged successfully. More than a few times I'd pick it up with no battery because the connector is so picky.

J_ToSaveTheDay

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Hmm, availability of this in the US is making me tempted to order one. Since I did own an OG 3DS back in the day, I did always find the newer dock offerings tempting.

And I've since been educated on how to better keep the batteries in these devices healthy since I got my n3DSXL... Not sure how badly it's been degraded from my current round of neglect, but this certainly would make it easier for battery upkeep while also keeping my n3DSXL outside of the shelf its tucked into and displayed prominently with my other active platforms. And I still actually do play my 3DS from time to time.