• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

AndrewDTF

Nov 25, 2019
So Skater XL is getting out of early access in July, Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 1+2 will be released in september and Session is planned to get out of early access in late 2020.
So maybe this genre will shine again? Also these are only skateboarding games in 10 years (if you don't include horrible Pro Skater 5 and very mediocre Pro Skater HD). The last good skateboarding games — Skate 3 and Shaun White Skateboarding — were released in 2010.

Derachi

Oct 27, 2017
Yep, and I think one of two things will happen.

1) The revitalization of the skateboarding genre

2) Another over-saturation of the skateboarding genre leading to another death of the skateboarding genre

Hoping for number 1!

Protome

Oct 27, 2017
Then the real skateboarding event comes next year
tumblr_psyapcZ8bb1si4jeeo4_500.gifv

I'm real glad there's so many skateboarding games happening.

Oct 29, 2017
Skater XL and Sessions are far from Skate. They are both games that EA was afraid to develop. They are niche. Skate was a game that non-skateboard fans could get into. They had a nice world, story, challenges and multiplayer.

Those are sims. They concentrate on one single part only. It is necessary but not enough.

I can never be whole without Skate 4 😢

dunkzilla

alt account
Banned
Dec 13, 2018
Does SkaterXL have anything to do in it yet? I've bought it and played for maybe an hour before.

I would assume it does if it's leaving early access...

Jan 11, 2018
Yeah, I think the 2020 date was always pretty amibitious for them though. And the demo they released last year, while promising, felt...early so I'm happy for them to take the time they need to make the game great.

For sure, they should take all the time they need, especially with the current situation. Hope it turns out as fun as it looks!

grosvenor92

Dec 2, 2017
I'm waiting till both Skater XL and Session are out of Early Access before deciding on if I get one or both

Zoso

Oct 27, 2017
It's wonderful. As someone who hasn't stopped playing Skate since it came out in 2007, I never thought the genre would come back to this degree. It's largely thanks to passionate indie developers. And there's a lot of variety -- realistic skate sims, arcade-style with infinite combos, and even a bird skating household objects. It's a beautiful thing and I can't wait to play them all.

Tora

The Enlightened Wise Ones
Jun 17, 2018
Yeah, I think the 2020 date was always pretty amibitious for them though. And the demo they released last year, while promising, felt...early so I'm happy for them to take the time they need to make the game great.
Early is an understatement, not knocking the game but damn I didn't expect the demo to be as pre alpha as it was.

Neilg

Nov 16, 2017
the skatebird video looks kind of awful. Very clunky animations and snapping. Needs an overhaul to smooth all of that out.

I've been enjoying both session and skater xl on PC - they're scratching the skate itch, but I'd love a bigger city and a bit of a narrative - the kind of thing that does take a pretty big team and bigger budget to deliver.

dunkzilla

alt account
Banned
Dec 13, 2018
the skatebird video looks kind of awful. Very clunky animations and snapping. Needs an overhaul to smooth all of that out.

I've been enjoying both session and skater xl on PC - they're scratching the skate itch, but I'd love a bigger city and a bit of a narrative - the kind of thing that does take a pretty big team and bigger budget to deliver.
The bustorbail custom map for SkaterXL is pretty big. NYC Streets is cool for that city skating vibe.

all I want is like, trick lists or something. Or a simple "do a kick flip in these spots" type missions.

Deleted member 179

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm with a lot here that I need goals. The reason the Pro Skater games held me so long as a kid was trying to do all those missions! And I'll probably buy the remaster for that again. The reason THUG/2 and American Wasteland held me was a narrative. Fuck Eric Sparrow.

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
And as a side bonus, Skate 3 is pretty much perfectly playable on PC with emulators, so (PS3) owners can bust out their copies!

cvbas

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
I mean, there's no way EA is seeing all this hype for THPS1+2 and not even considering a Skate 3 remaster, right?