• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

MrConbon210

Oct 31, 2017
Best Buy still had some Series S in stocks so without really thinking I bought one. I have never owned an Xbox system before so this is my first Xbox device. I'm excited to see what the fuss is about Halo and Forza.

How does Live and Gamespass work? Do I need both? I have a PS5 and a 4K TV so the Series S will mainly just be for Xbox exclusives and Gamespass. Any tips, tricks or advice will be greatly appreciated!

Remeran

Nov 27, 2018
Gamepass Ultimate comes with live. You only need live if you want to play online. I suggest you start with the Master Chief Collection on Gamepass if you want to try Halo.

Karax9699

Banned
Jan 29, 2018
Don't need game-pass but to play online you do need gold. I'd recommend getting Game-pass Ultimate though because it gives you both, meaning you'd then be able to play the Xbox exclusives without buying them. Will pay for itself.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
You can do Game Pass and Live a couple of ways. They are seperate subs (like PS+ and PS Now)

- you might technically be able to do it cheapest by finding a cheap Xbox Live Gold sub and then just subbing to Game Pass seperately
- the easier way would just be to sub to Game Pass Ultimate, which includes Game Pass, Game Pass for PC, Xbox Live Gold and EA Play (so you'll have a vault of EA games to download and play too)

I'd probably just recommend grabbing a Game Pass Ultimate sub and not overthinking it. You can drive yourself mad trying to find deals for everything.

Download Ori and the Will of the Wisps and Forza Horizon 4 straight away and have a great time.

Other games to consider:

- Doom Eternal
- Outer Wilds
- Dragon Quest XI
- Streets of Rage 4
- Banjo Kazooie
- Tell Me Why
- Perfect Dark

Deleted member 11008

User requested account closure
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Gold (previously Live I guess?) is the subscription service which let you play online games, also it gift you games, basically works like PSN Plus. Game Pass is a service which work like Netflix, you have have a catalogue of games you can download and play until you subscription ends or the game is retired from Game Pass.

I think you can still stockpile 3 years (or less, but not more than that) worth of Gold and upgrade to Game Pass Ultimate with a dollar.

vixolus

Prophet of Truth
Sep 22, 2020
I just got my first Xbox with the Series X, too.

I got 3 years of Game Pass Ultimate using the Xbox Live -> GPU for $1 conversion. I'd recommend doing that as it'll save you a lot for the next 3 years on Game Pass.

Xbox Live Gold is needed to play online (f2p requirement being dropped soonish) and you get monthly games, similar to PS+. Monthly games need to be claimed, like PS+.

Game Pass is like Netflix. You pay the sub and have access to the library and can play them as long as you're subscribed. Like being able to play the PS+ freebies, you need to be subscribed.

Game Pass Ultimate bundles Xbox Live Gold and Game Pass into the same cost essentially( $5 XBL, $10 GP -> $15 GPU). However, it includes PC Game Pass, EA Play (EA titles are added to Game Pass), and Cloud gaming on Android (and soon iOS).

digitalrelic

Weight Loss Champion 2018: Biggest Change
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Do the Gold to GPU 3 years trick, and then enjoy your time with the greatest bargain in gaming (Series S + Game Pass).

Filipus

Prophet of Regret
Avenger
Dec 7, 2017
If you are into playing old games, you should do this as soon as possible The $299 XBOX Series S is an Emulation Beast | MVG | ResetEra

If you are gonna play Halo, I would recommend playing it with a friend. Campaign becomes SO FUN with other people.

First game I would install is Forza Horizon 4, it's such a good game.
What kind of games do you like OP? That way we can recommend you some gamepass games (if you are gonna jump on that).

OP
OP
MrConbon210

MrConbon210

Oct 31, 2017
Also I suppose this is somewhat subjective but how stark is the power difference between the Series S and PS5? I don't have any big problems playing with my Switch on the TV. I understand the Series S doesn't do 4K output but I'm not sure if the extra $200 is worth it to simply play Gamespass games in a higher resolution.

FancyPants

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
You have a great backwards compatible console, and Game Pass is GREAT. Playing games from old Xbox consoles and some that are coming out now is flawless. However, I don't see the console as very future proof tbh. It's a 1080p box (not a 1440p box as advertised) and expectations should be in check for the future. There is a huge gap in performance to the Series X, so don't expect to have AAA games run as good or be as pretty the next 6 years.

falconhoof17

Jul 12, 2019
I would highly recommend starting Halo on at least heroic difficulty, the enemy AI is the best thing about the series imo and it only truly shines on the harder difficulties. Also make sure you put grunt birthday party on!

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Also I suppose this is somewhat subjective but how stark is the power difference between the Series S and PS5? I don't have any big problems playing with my Switch on the TV. I understand the Series S doesn't do 4K output but I'm not sure if the extra $200 is worth it to simply play Gamespass games in a higher resolution.

It's gonna be playing most games at around 1080p. So similar or, usually, higher resolution than your Switch. If you're fine with that then you'll have no issues there.

It's a proper next gen console, just aiming for a lower resolution. If your PS5 is running a game at 4k (or around that) then your Series S will probably be running it at 1080p.

vixolus

Prophet of Truth
Sep 22, 2020
I think since you have the PS5 already, that the Series S is a fine supplemental device for the Xbox games, EA games, and other indies and whatnot on the service. Unless you care about 4K and higher fidelity (I did, but I also don't have a PS5 right now), then the Series S should be fine. Especially as the next gen comes into gear and older titles get the FPS Boost treatment, it'll do you a solid and perform fine.

The graphical performance diff is basically an Xbox One X vs an Xbox Series X or a PS4 Pro and a PS5. However, bc it shares the CPU and SSD of next-gen, it'll still perform well overall.

Deleted member 11008

User requested account closure
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017

Series S can run newer games like the Series X, but in lower resolutions and less graphical effects or features like raytracing or higher (120 fps modes), but it depends from the game. Basically should be between PS4 Pro/Xbox One X and PS5/Xbox Series X.

I still think exclusive Series S|X games are going to shine a lot more with the time, but so far third party games have delivered what I wanted from the Series S.

TaySan

SayTan
Dec 10, 2018
Tulsa, Oklahoma
Gamepass Ultimate comes with live so just get that if you want both. Keep your expectations in check in regards to power. Play Halo MCC and the Gears series you are in for a treat! :)

Wein Cruz

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Damn I wish best buy had some series x. I want it mostly for backcompat so an S would not cut it.

PianoBlack

May 24, 2018
United States

As someone who has had a Series S, One X, Series X, and Switch hooked up to my new 4k tv lately, it's fine. Certainly better than the Switch.

In practice I noticed speed gains from Series S much more than I noticed resolution gaps to Series X, thought it was a great system. Having played both a good amount, I would take Sea of Thieves at Series S 1080p/60fps/15 sec load times over the One X 4k/30fps/2 min load times every day of the week. The Series X res bump is nice but now I'm playing in the 1080p/120fps mode anyway šŸ˜‚

The only real downside for me with Series S are the games where they have 60 FPS modes on One X/Series X but not on S: Rise of the Tomb Raider, Surge 2, etc.