• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Rackham

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Anyone have any experience with Udemy? I realize I could have received all this information for free from elsewhere but it was $20 to a 55 hour course that would help me get ready for Cisco certification. I have 30 days to get my money back but I purchased it mainly because it would kind of force me to get started since I spent money on it.

The course was The Complete Networking Fundamentals Course. Your CCNA start

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Weird coincidence, I'm also taking a Udemy course for the CCENT/CCNA right now

OP
OP
Rackham

Rackham

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Weird coincidence, I'm also taking a Udemy course for the CCENT/CCNA right now
How do you like it? Which course?

Also, I don't have any programming knowledge but was thinking of taking some courses for AWS (amazon cloud) but I'm not really sure how useful both of these skill sets together would be.

Last edited:

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
How do you like it? Which course?

Neil Anderson's Cisco ICND1 100-105 - CCENT Certification Bootcamp. It has 22 hours of lectures and labs for each part of it. I'm about a third of the way through it and will hopefully take it by the end of the month or early May. Then eventually the full CCNA.

OP
OP
Rackham

Rackham

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Neil Anderson's Cisco ICND1 100-105 - CCENT Certification Bootcamp. It has 22 hours of lectures and labs for each part of it. I'm about a third of the way through it and will hopefully take it by the end of the month or early May. Then eventually the full CCNA.
Have you looked at the course I mentioned in the OP? There's 55 hours and over a hundred courses, eventually going into ICND1 and 2. Does it look like a good course to you?

I'm a bit worried because I heard taking the CCENT and CCNA can cost thousands but maybe the person was talking out of his ass. I haven't looked it up yet.

Doom_Bringer

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I have taken a lot of programming courses from Udemy. I loved it! Around this time last year I had a college class on Swift. Prof was terrible, ended up learning everything and making great projects later on thanks to Udemy,

Some of the professors there are incredible (Angela Yu, Mosh, Tim, Steven G, etc)

Valkyr Junkie

Oct 27, 2017
I used them for a forensics cert that isn't particularly popular. I was very impressed with the notes and sample questions the instructor made available.

FreezePeach

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Not all courses are created equal but i have found overall these video courses that you can follow along with are really useful. I prefer them to straight reading a book. You get a lot of info from how someone speaks and levels of importance they give to certain topics. Still not as good as an actual in-class environment but pretty good. But yeah there can also be really poor vid tutorials too.

OP
OP
Rackham

Rackham

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I have taken a lot of programming courses from Udemy. I loved it! Around this time last year I had a college class on Swift. Prof was terrible, ended up learning everything and making great projects later on thanks to Udemy,

Some of the professors there are incredible (Angela Yu, Mosh, Tim, Steven G, etc)
Do these courses go on sale a lot? I only took the chance on them cause they all seem to be heavily discounted at the moment.
I used them for a forensics cert that isn't particularly popular. I was very impressed with the notes and sample questions the instructor made available.
Not all courses are created equal but i have found overall these video courses that you can follow along with are really useful. I prefer them to straight reading a book. You get a lot of info from how someone speaks and levels of importance they give to certain topics. Still not as good as an actual in-class environment but pretty good. But yeah there can also be really poor vid tutorials too.
That makes me feel better about my purchase. I just purchased 2 more courses. AWS architect 2019 and developer 2019 courses by the same person. These two and the Networking courses were rated by hundreds of thousands of people and all nearly 5 stars.

I'm hoping to combine these two skill sets (after certification) into a network engineer/architect.

Doom_Bringer

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
That makes me feel better about my purchase. I just purchased 2 more courses. AWS architect 2019 and developer 2019 courses by the same person. These two and the Networking courses were rated by hundreds of thousands of people and all nearly 5 stars.

I'm hoping to combine these two skill sets (after certification) into a network engineer/architect.
One of my friends recently passed the AWS Developer cert thanks to Udemy. He is a developer at TD bank here in Canada.

For programming, I highly recommend building your own projects after you have learned the fundamentals of whatever it is you are trying to learn (React, angular etc). You learn the most through struggling with your own projects imo.

kagete

Oct 27, 2017
Udemy video courses have guided me towards getting a PMP and 2 other certifications. I will do TOGAF on there over the summer.

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Have you looked at the course I mentioned in the OP? There's 55 hours and over a hundred courses, eventually going into ICND1 and 2. Does it look like a good course to you?

I'm a bit worried because I heard taking the CCENT and CCNA can cost thousands but maybe the person was talking out of his ass. I haven't looked it up yet.

I can only speak for the one I'm taking, but all the places I saw recommended additional study in addition to Udemy courses. I'm probably going to buy this book and/or this practice exam simulator which is said to be pretty close to the real test.

The CCENT is $165 ($330 in total for the two halves if you want CCNA this way) and the CCNA single test is $325. So definitely not thousands.

OP
OP
Rackham

Rackham

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
For programming, I highly recommend building your own projects after you have learned the fundamentals of whatever it is you are trying to learn (React, angular etc). You learn the most through struggling with your own projects imo.
Are you saying to have some programming experience under my belt for my resume? I don't really know what I'm trying to learn. I just want a good job. I have some networking experience but my knowledge is spotty because I've had no formal education. I don't really have any programming experience but I'm not a complete dunce in the area.
I can only speak for the one I'm taking, but all the places I saw recommended additional study in addition to Udemy courses. I'm probably going to buy this book and/or this practice exam simulator which is said to be pretty close to the real test.

The CCENT is $165 ($330 in total for the two halves if you want CCNA this way) and the CCNA single test is $325. So definitely not thousands.
So $330 if you were to take both tests one right after the other? No retakes I assume lol. I'm going to focus on Networking first before I start the AWS courses. Why ICND1 and no ICND2 prep?

BFIB

Oct 25, 2017
I used Chris Bryant's Udemy course to get my CCNA. Thought it was worth it.

Use 9tuts CCNA labs too.

Doom_Bringer

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Are you saying to have some programming experience under my belt for my resume? I don't really know what I'm trying to learn. I just want a good job. I have some networking experience but my knowledge is spotty because I've had no formal education. I don't really have any programming experience but I'm not a complete dunce in the area.

Sure why not? Programming will always be in demand and you might love it! I recommend you build an Angular and React application. You will need to gain skills in JavaScript, HTML and CSS. I recommend you finish Free Code Camp's front end development certificate. You can become a competent web developer in 6 - 12 months IMO if you really work at it and build some cool projects.

Don't worry about education too much. Last year I worked with a young guy who had a biology degree and was a self taught developer.

FreezePeach

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I also recommend taking notes in a word file and actually doing the same work that is in the video. Helps build muscle memory and your personal notes will help you remember.

Scrub Jay

Nov 28, 2017
Between Chris Bryants courses and Boson exams, you should have enough to pass CCENT. For CCNA you should lab some equipment. You can get cheap routers and switches, but you should look into packet tracer from Cisco as well. Might not be free. I got my boots wet from taking a course at the local community college.

OP
OP
Rackham

Rackham

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Omegamon

Alt Account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Any recomendations? I have purchased a Java one which is one of the longest one(it's in spanish) and Android Studio one(also in spanish)

crimzonflame

Oct 25, 2017
Always look for an udemy coupon or wait for their frequent sales. Never paid more than $15 for an udemy course.

S_Dev

Oct 26, 2017
DO THEM LABS, for real tho. Packet-tracer is OK for absolute beginners, but until you get your hands wet with actual hardware, alot of this won't make sense. Also, get a leg up on sub-netting, thats the main thing that had people dropping out, watch Youtube videos, read online, without a mastery of sub-netting, you will not be able to progress in any meaningful way.

B4mv

Nov 2, 2017
I've done a couple of Udemy courses, they're cool but you have to put in the work for it to do anything for you.

Nax

Hero of Bowerstone
Oct 10, 2018
Udemy has got some good stuff. Instructors are usually very good about keeping content updated.

I would also highly recommend Linux Academy. They're doing some cool stuff with training courses that no one else on the web is.

OP
OP
Rackham

Rackham

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
DO THEM LABS, for real tho. Packet-tracer is OK for absolute beginners, but until you get your hands wet with actual hardware, alot of this won't make sense. Also, get a leg up on sub-netting, thats the main thing that had people dropping out, watch Youtube videos, read online, without a mastery of sub-netting, you will not be able to progress in any meaningful way.
What labs? What kind of hand wetting are we talking about? At what point should I start learning about sub-netting?
Udemy is bomb, you get what you put into the lessons tho
Yeah of course. I'm a bit worried about the programming courses because, I will learn some stuff and basics but I won't be great until I can do some hands on stuff. I guess I'll figure that out when I start the courses. I'm probably going to do the networking stuff first, then java, then python then aws while working on programming projects with my cousin who gets his bachelor's this year in programming.

aLaxLuthor

Oct 29, 2017
I've done a course on Angular by Maximilian SchwarzmĂĽller.
It was great, 40 or so hours, he keeps it updated as Angular updates. Money really well spent (on sale, I'm not crazy)

Doom_Bringer

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Any recomendations? I have purchased a Java one which is one of the longest one(it's in spanish) and Android Studio one(also in spanish)
Depends on what you want to become or get into
Angular or React - Complete course by Maximilian or Stephen Grider or Traversy Media (Brad Treversy)
Java - Tim Buchalka
Swift - Angela Yu

I really didn't like working on Android studio, I would rather learn React Native IMO

sfedai0

Oct 27, 2017
I was thinking about going back to school for IT classes but would this be a viable alternative?

OP
OP
Rackham

Rackham

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I was thinking about going back to school for IT classes but would this be a viable alternative?
You can get ceritified in just about any IT field without a degree. A degree might help and taking a course with other people is certainly a positive but if you get your certification and do stuff to get things to put on your resume then your work will speak for itself. That's just my opinion though. I already have a job in the IT field with no certification but I'm mainly just doing entry level hardware and configuration related things. Someone else more experienced might say something different.

Sounds

Oct 27, 2017
I've used it a handful of times, great service. There's an amazing C++ course on Udemy where you make a game in Unreal engine. It's an unbelievable value, especially when you get it on sale.

OP
OP
Rackham

Rackham

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I've used it a handful of times, great service. There's an amazing C++ course on Udemy where you make a game in Unreal engine. It's an unbelievable value, especially when you get it on sale.
Find the course and link it please. Not really interested in game making though. Still worth it or is that main course lesson?

Scrub Jay

Nov 28, 2017

sleepnaught

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I love Udemy, I've bought a few courses. Python, a drawing course, and a few math courses to get caught up on my math. I have nothing but great things to say about it, at 13 bucks a course, I can't complain. I wouldn't be able to learn what I have by reading a book, I guarantee I would have just given up. Colt Steele's Python course in particular is great. Not sure if this is true for all courses, but generally you have 30 days to try a course before you refund, so, there's little to no risk involved. I tried another Python course from Jose Portilla, who is a great instructor too, but he ran through the material too quickly for me, while Colt goes into pretty extensive detail by comparison and throws in some humor with it. I've really enjoyed it so far.

OP
OP
Rackham

Rackham

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Cant speak for the content of the course but if the program is free then by all means go for it. If nothing else it will let you get familiar with the CLI which will be a good chunk of what a real world network engineer does. It isnt perfect but it will get you to the point of the commands being within muscle memory.
The course I bought sent me a voucher for a free CCNA Packet Tracer course, CCNA/ICND1 and CCNA/ICND2 course. I think it's was a pretty good deal. The course is by David Bombal if you're interested. It seems like he updates it a lot and there's a lot of stuff there

mhayes86

Oct 27, 2017
Maryland
I used them twice to study and pass my AWS certifications since they had a discount partnership with A Cloud Guru. My experience was definitely positive and I would go through them again.

OP
OP
Rackham

Rackham

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I love Udemy, I've bought a few courses. Python, a drawing course, and a few math courses to get caught up on my math. I have nothing but great things to say about it, at 13 bucks a course, I can't complain. I wouldn't be able to learn what I have by reading a book, I guarantee I would have just given up. Colt Steele's Python course in particular is great. Not sure if this is true for all courses, but generally you have 30 days to try a course before you refund, so, there's little to no risk involved. I tried another Python course from Jose Portilla, who is a great instructor too, but he ran through the material too quickly for me, while Colt goes into pretty extensive detail by comparison and throws in some humor with it. I've really enjoyed it so far.
I bought the one by Jose Portilla because it was rated higher by more people. I hope it works for me. I'm probably not gonna be able to return these because I don't think I'll start my programming courses within 30 days. I could always take the course and buy another one on sale if it doesn't work for me. More material can't hurt. How often are there sales?

sleepnaught

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I bought the one by Jose Portilla because it was rated higher by more people. I hope it works for me. I'm probably not gonna be able to return these because I don't think I'll start my programming courses within 30 days. I could always take the course and buy another one on sale if it doesn't work for me. More material can't hurt. How often are there sales?
Its always "on sale". If it isn't on that particular day, wait til the next day and it will be. Don't ever pay full price. Jose is great too, I just felt his course was geared a tad bit more to those already experienced with programming.

OP
OP
Rackham

Rackham

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Its always "on sale". If it isn't on that particular day, wait til the next day and it will be. Don't ever pay full price. Jose is great too, I just felt his course was geared a tad bit more to those already experienced with programming.
Can I ask what was stumping you about his course? I have some cursory knowledge in programming. Very very basic stuff though.

sleepnaught

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Can I ask what was stumping you about his course? I have some cursory knowledge in programming. Very very basic stuff though.
To be honest, his explanation of the concepts and material was fine, his milestone projects were the issue for me. You would be given an introduction to classes in Python, and immediately after be asked to create a Blackjack game using classes. To me, it was too much too soon. With Colt's course, you are given mini projects throughout the course to build you up to more complex projects later. With Jose's course, I felt he explained a bunch of concepts then dumped a huge exam on you without first giving your an opportunity to explore what you've learned. But, that's just me. He's got rave reviews and I'm sure there plenty of other beginners who had no problem keeping up. I just needed a more thorough introduction and Colt's course was perfect for that.

OP
OP
Rackham

Rackham

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
To be honest, his explanation of the concepts and material was fine, his milestone projects were the issue for me. You would be given an introduction to classes in Python, and immediately after be asked to create a Blackjack game using classes. To me, it was too much too soon. With Colt's course, you are given mini projects throughout the course to build you up to more complex projects later. With Jose's course, I felt he explained a bunch of concepts then dumped a huge exam on you without first giving your an opportunity to explore what you've learned.
That would suck even harder for me since I don't know how to play blackjack lol. I guess I'll cross that bridge when I get to it. How long ago did you take that course? Hopefully he's updated it based on feedback since then because I doubt you're the only one to mention something like that- at least I hope.

sleepnaught

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
That would suck even harder for me since I don't know how to play blackjack lol. I guess I'll cross that bridge when I get to it. How long ago did you take that course? Hopefully he's updated it based on feedback since then because I doubt you're the only one to mention something like that- at least I hope.
A few weeks ago. I brought it up in the QA section and they explained, for beginners, you're not expected to complete the project without "coding along". I didn't feel like I would truly be learning if I'm just typing what he tells me. I want to have the knowledge before hand to do it myself. With that project, I was completely clueless as to where to even begin. And I too didn't know anything about Blackjack except for trying to hit 21. I honestly loathe card games, so, I hated the thought of spending hours building a stupid card game anyway lol.

GK86

Oct 25, 2017
Well, thanks to this thread I just bought a Java course. If it goes well, I will look into buying the web development and/or Python courses.

Oct 25, 2017
No experience with it, but likely far better than taking any real college course. (Well maybe just my case in Mississippi where the courses are usually shit and not worth the money)