• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

FerrisBueller

Jul 15, 2018
UK
I'm 31 (32 next month... fuck) and I keep meaning to get back into it. I'm kicking myself for not getting out in lockdown when it was super quiet and warm out. I've a board sat in the kitchen teasing me every time I walk in. Maybe next summer I'll finally get to it.

Spring-Loaded

Oct 27, 2017
Oct 27, 2017
I just learned to ripstick in my mid 30s lol.

I'm sure I look ridiculous and there is some risk (had a couple decent spills but nothing that took more than a couple days to be fine) but there's simply not a better mind clearing activity i can do in the middle of the day to both momentarily escape and refocus. Carving on a ripstik down even small hills is tons of fun. Feels just like the one time I went snowboarding.

sethbot

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
This is hilarious to me because I too am 27 and I just bought a skateboard a couple of weeks ago. Never tried it as a kid and always wanted to, plus my girlfriend bought roller skates and I figured it would be a fun way to join her.

After a few times using it, I'm somewhat confident navigating it on a park trail, and I have a lot of fun doing so, so I'd definitely recommend it.

Lion

Banned
Jul 7, 2020
I bought my first skateboard 5yrs ago, aged 35.

I picked up the balance very easily, I think I have only had one fall. I have been snowboarding since I was about 10 which probably helped.

I thought it would be a nice convenient way of getting around London, and it kind of is. 2 things I didn't realise though, it is a lot more tiring /energetic than I expected, and there are a lot of shit roads and pavements.

KelThaFunkee

Oct 27, 2017
How hard did you fall? Yeah, I think for me this is the biggest thing to consider. If I fall strategically it can help. The videos I've watched with Na-Kel Smith has him falling with the ill grace. I want to fall like he does.

Edit: https://youtu.be/UPVnx3IJWVA
Love this video, rolling through with style!

I'm 6'2 about 190lbs so imagine me on a sidewalk not noticing a height difference between two blocks and just flying forward with all that momentum. Stuck my arm out to protect myself from landing head first. My right arm took the brunt of the impact, and I also hurt my shoulder but nothing as serious as my elbow. Nowadays I'm more prepared to handle bumps and cracks on the road

Alek

Games User Researcher
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
I messed around a little bit as a kid with a skateboard, but never really got any good with it.

But at 26 I picked up a longboard and a regular skateboard and I've been having a really good time. I commute almost everywhere on my longboard. I used to skate along the seafront in Brighton, it was a really pleasurable experience and I think it's a really nice way to get into the joy of just riding a board.

Also if you're worried about going to parks full of kids... you don't need to, depending on how you want to skate. There's loads that you can do on flat surfaces, and it really depends on what you want to get out of it. For me, I mostly just find it a fun way to get around, but I also mess about on empty streets and car parks on a regular board from time to time.

For me it's not a social thing, I just do it alone. I know for a lot of folks it is. But for me, I go to the supermarket carpark at 12 at night and skate alone, and just mess around. It's peaceful, and I do fall from time to time but I'm always alright. I always take a phone with me.

When I was getting familiar with the board again I wore a helmet all of the time. I'd recommend it. I don't wear a helmet anymore, though I probably should.

OP
OP

Deleted member 46958

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 22, 2018
Love this video, rolling through with style!

I'm 6'2 about 190lbs so imagine me on a sidewalk not noticing a height difference between two blocks and just flying forward with all that momentum. Stuck my arm out to protect myself from landing head first. My right arm took the brunt of the impact, and I also hurt my shoulder but nothing as serious as my elbow. Nowadays I'm more prepared to handle bumps and cracks on the road

I can def see how a hairline fracture came about then. I ordered some covert knee and elbow pads. Hopefully the fit is right!

Quantum Leap

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
California
Where is a good place to buy a quality board online? I want to try too at 28. I want to do an Ollie before I die 🛹

Last edited:

RapidCancel

Oct 26, 2017
Picked up a longboard last year at 34, and a trick deck this year at 35. Something I've always wanted to do and I'm finally doing it now. Enjoying it a ton.

Where a good place to buy a quality board online? I want to try too at 28.

CCS, Skatewarehouse, tactics. Zumiez, though people hate them. I've used them a few time this year since a things take a while to come back in stock sometimes due to Covid and production being slow.

Ninjadom

Oct 25, 2017
London, UK
I picked up a pro BMX at 36 years old. Had the money so spent ÂŁ500+ on it.

Thought I still had the same skills I had when I was a 13 year old.

Showed off in front of a girl after a couple (few) beers. Wiped out, HARD. Took me 5 minutes before I could get up off the concrete.

Sold the bike.

XaviConcept

Art Director for Videogames
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Finally, at 38 Im old enough to laugh at people in their 20's for thinking theyre too old to do anything

Leo

Oct 27, 2017
I tried at 22 and I couldn't even stand on it or get off. Now at 30 I think I would lose my balance just by looking at it.

But I have always been a very uncoordinated person, if you think you can do it, go for it.

astroturfing

Nov 1, 2017
Suomi Finland
iu
this was literally me a couple weeks ago. im 38 and i went to skate a new mini-ramp with other 35+ friends, but they left pretty early so i stayed there with some 15-18 year old kids lol, i kept cracking jokes about my age and shit ("get ready to call an ambulance boys"). they cheered me on when i managed some simple lip tricks and i watched them do some crazy awesome tricks (huge fs flip over the coping wow).

absolutely zero shame and was fun as hell. will do it again when the bruises heal and weather allows it.

Solaire

Oct 29, 2017
Are we really in here talking like 27 is anywhere near being old?
Yeah reading this forum you'd think people are out of comission before they turn 30. Nerds.

Now, that Mr Kinoshita dropping in for the first time at 81? Fucking legend. First drop in is scary as hell.
Great to see Gou Miyagi can truly inspire anyone to pick up a board and have fun.

Thanks. Ordered my first skateboard, didn't know this hobby was so damn expensive.
Sweet. You building it?

You can get a good setup for 100 bucks which should last a long time if the parts are decent. I don't think it's that expensive all things considered.

Last edited:

Ciao

Jun 14, 2018
35, and I plan to get a longboard when the weather is a bit better. No tricks, just riding to go to work.

Sloth Guevara

Oct 27, 2017
I couldn't get it out of my mind- the idea of picked one up and learning.

Skating, in some capacity, has always been in my orbit, I just never got on and learned. And that's because I worried over falling and fuckin up. I was gifted a board in '04 by my cousin, but I was too soft to jump on and learn, so it collected dust. Smh. But at 27 I thought, "why not?" I can still learn, and even if I'm not doing tricks, the simple means of transportation by cruising would be really satisfying.

It's also more compact than a bike, which I just can't afford right now. Any one on here who began skating later in life? What's your story?

If you are just looking to cruise around I'd recommend getting a longboard style board.

big soft wheels with soft bushings.

OldBenKenobi

Oct 25, 2017
OP, I am 36 and after not skating for over ten years, I picked it up again 3 months ago. It didn't take long to come back to me but falling now hurts more then it did when I was younger that's for sure.

So keep on grinding baby!

Quantum Leap

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
California
Where's the best place to learn to balance? A parking lot so that there's no cracks I can eat shit on?

Sweet. You building it?
Bought a completed one. Spend $150 with a helmet which honestly is a lot more than I thought it would cost.

How do you have to land to break your clavicle? Just so I could avoid breaking mine haha

mojo

Oct 25, 2017
Where's the best place to learn to balance? A parking lot so that there's no cracks I can eat shit on?

Bought a completed one. Spend $150 with a helmet which honestly is a lot more than I thought it would cost.

How do you have to land to break your clavicle? Just so I could avoid breaking mine haha
I've been using the tennis court at a park nearby when no one is there and an abandoned walgreens parking lot but falling at the parking lot if going to hurt a lot more.

Quantum Leap

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
California
I've been at the skatepark for an hour or two and my first time skating is not going as terrible as I was thinking. I'm obviously far away from the skater kids so they don't think I'm lame (I feel like I'm in middle school by coming here). I'm taking it very slow though. I'm getting better at balancing but I don't really want to speed it up since the cracks on the floor are still giving me trouble and I feel like the wheel is going to get stuck and I'm going to go flying. I also feel like I'm putting too much pressure on my toes.

RealisticElatedBear-max-1mb.gif

Last edited:
OP
OP

Deleted member 46958

Banned
Aug 22, 2018
Tbh I took a risk not wearing pads or a helmet when I went out on Sunday. And I busted my ass soon into this open school playground. Didn't hurt though, and honestly I felt alive.

I'm leaning too forward when I kick off for the second or third time. I think it's anxiety though.

I like my board, going to change the wheels, bearings, and maybe the trucks.

Deleted member 12833

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I skated for the first time in like 8 years the other month. I was shocked I landed a kickflip first try.

PennyStonks

Banned
May 17, 2018
I haven't been on a skateboard in 10 years, but I could ollie. This has me wondering if that sticks around.

Nikus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I've always wanted to do it but I'm 35 and I fear I'm gonna feel super dumb.
One of my best friends who used to skate in highschool recently started again at 36 and he's having a blast. He's in way better shape than me though

Zularti

Oct 25, 2017
I actually just started trying to long board at 30 like 3 months ago. I live in a hilly area so it's pretty fun just to cruise and take sharp turns ha.

I did get one nasty fall but it's fine. There is a lot of board customization which I just found out too. If you do get into long boarding look up slide gloves it makes you feel awesome to do without a ton of effort.

RapidCancel

Oct 26, 2017
Thanks. Ordered my first skateboard, didn't know this hobby was so damn expensive.

Nice, what did you end up getting? Good places to go to would just be the park or an empty parking lot to learn to skate around. Pushing and skating usually works out weird muscles you don't normally use so you'll prob feel it until you start doing it more.

Quantum Leap

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
California
I think you just need to do it more. For how long were you practicing? I wasn't sore next day, but ai stretched. Also, id you feel you're about to fall, just hop off. It's been saving me.
Like two hours I think. Yea i'll stretch next time.

Nice, what did you end up getting? Good places to go to would just be the park or an empty parking lot to learn to skate around. Pushing and skating usually works out weird muscles you don't normally use so you'll prob feel it until you start doing it more.
This one that matches my username
Zero-Blood-Script-7.75%22-Skateboard-Complete-_330580-front-US.jpg

TooFriendly

Oct 30, 2017
Our kid just got a skateboard so I've been trying it out a bit. I'm 41.
I haven't skated for 20 years. I used to skate all the time and fall off all the time, I'm taking it easier now.
pretty fun though, nothing hard out at all.

OP
OP

Deleted member 46958

Banned
Aug 22, 2018
My board is interesting bc it's cruiser in the shape of a surfboard. It has a wider front end which allows more room to stand on, but it isn't quite a longboard.