• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Giga Man

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
You just noticed this? It's been bothering me since the first day I laid eyes on him. How does he not trip over himself with that leg-binding belt?

Animeee~

eso76

Prophet of Truth
Dec 8, 2017
First off, it has two different buckles yet appears to be one single belt, second, that single belt is absurdly long. Another thing, why does his pants have belt loops around his legs in the first place?

I like how OP is concerned about those details even before addressing the fact itself the guy decided to fight with his legs tied together in the first place.

Always wondered myself yeah, but it looks cool I think.

Pyccko

Oct 25, 2017
I always figured it was to evoke a straitjacket and him being wild and uncontrollable because of cursed blood etc etc japan etc

Futaleufu

Banned
Jan 12, 2018
But can he do a JCVD split kick??

He would rather slash people with his nails.

win_iori.png

ReyVGM

Author - NES Endings Compendium
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
So, recently with Sakurai praising KOF's Iori Yagami's design, my twitter TL is filled to the brim with Iori art. Even having looked at the character extensively for every KOFXIII tourney, I've just now started to notice something about his design that I'm really confused about.
HQe4Dfx.jpg

Just what is going on with the belt around his legs?

First off, it has two different buckles yet appears to be one single belt, second, that single belt is absurdly long. Another thing, why does his pants have belt loops around his legs in the first place? Wouldn't this also restrain his fighting ability since he can only extend his legs so far? Also, what is this even supposed to convey? Like, how does this play into any visual motif? What is the point of this belt?

He's into mild bondage.

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Although it never comes up in game at all, Iori is a musician, so I always thought his exotic look just goes alongside that.

latest

Horohorohoro

Jan 28, 2019
Iori's got a god-tier design. I dunno why, but everything about him just screams "cool." I love edgy emo anime characters.

K' Dash

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
Some 15 years ago I heard from someone that he uses the belt to handicap himself.

That's been my canon since, I've never bothered to look for that, there are definitely more weird and interesting stuff in KOF

dude

Oct 25, 2017
Tel Aviv
I never understood how can he kick with these things. They're 100% impractical to fighting, the only thing you do in the game.

Het_Nkik

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
The the KoF guys and gals are so fashionable. Never hate on the belt.

dock

Game Designer
Verified
Nov 5, 2017
I can't believe no-one here is familiar with bondage pants. I had so many criss cross leg belts in the early 2000s.

super-famicom

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Some 15 years ago I heard from someone that he uses the belt to handicap himself.

That's been my canon since, I've never bothered to look for that, there are definitely more weird and interesting stuff in KOF

Ok, your user name is read as K Dash Dash. It's intentional, but just kinda bugs me lol.

sweetmini

Jun 12, 2019
- It is punk.
- it limits the angle of a missed kick, helping recover faster from the mistake/dodge.
- It also could allow a strangulation move, but it's never been implemented i think.

Love Machine

Oct 29, 2017
Tokyo, Japan
I once heard that the belt/strap between the legs was meant as a defensive measure against sweeps, etc.
Apparently it was actually employed in kung fu at some point, but I have no idea if there's any truth to this. Google turned up nothing.

dude

Oct 25, 2017
Tel Aviv
54-BF6246-509-E-4526-A222-C8-B2342-AABB7.jpg

Iori's leg belt is definitely elastic when it needs to be.
I don't think it feels elastic at all - It's not even stretched. No matter his leg position, it's always shown with a bit of a sag. The belt simply changes length based on the animation - If you lower his leg to the ground the belt should be dragging on the floor, which it doesn't when he's standing still. The design is so stupid, they had to animate around it.