• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 7130

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
tLoKxIcl.jpg
I went up the Needle when I visited. It wasn't until I was all the way to the top, that I asked myself "I'm afraid of heights. Why do I do this?!" lol! It was neat though. The thing actually fucking spins. I don't envy whoever has to make deliveries there.

Sampson

Banned
Nov 17, 2017
I mean the downtown area and some of the neighborhoods are absolutely walkable, there are hills, but those can be walkable as well.

Where do your friends live, if they live in lake city, it might not be as walkable

Seattle is very walkable if you live in First Hill, party in Cap Hill/Belltown, shop online/downtown, and work in SLU.

If you can pull that off, it's great. Otherwise you need a car or a lot of Ubers. Trying to take public transit from Ballard to Cap Hill for example, is a joke.

cdyhybrid

Oct 25, 2017
Lol at people warning OP about the weather like global heating and rampant wildfires aren't going to turn Seattle into LA in a few years

Oct 26, 2017
I'm Seattle born and raised for over 30 years. Guess I need to be more appreciative of what I got? I never really lived anywhere else so I dont have anything to compare to but always surprised at how much the internet loves my city.

ninnanuam

Nov 24, 2017
I loved living in the Seattle area. Admittedly this was a ways back (late 90s early 2000s) but it was great. The weather was never super terrible. The people were welcoming the scenes I was into were all booming.

I have heard that it's gotten a little more boring over the years due to how expensive the place has gotten and that the Seattle freeze has become ubiquitous.

I'm glad it hasn't impacted you.

ThisIsBlitz21

Oct 22, 2018
Welcome to the pacific northwest. You'll get sick of that rain and evergreens in notime. Though aside from that climate is lovely here. Not to extreme in either direction. I honestly dont get the complaints, weather here is probably some of the best.

Oct 28, 2017
As a Scotsman who generally sees the US as an unpalatable shithole for living, the northwest of it seems the most attractive place to be. The weather will probably be similar to Scotland, and the general politics.

OP
OP
Nothing Loud

Nothing Loud

Literally Cinderella
Oct 25, 2017
Seattle is very walkable if you live in First Hill, party in Cap Hill/Belltown, shop online/downtown, and work in SLU.

If you can pull that off, it's great. Otherwise you need a car or a lot of Ubers. Trying to take public transit from Ballard to Cap Hill for example, is a joke.

A joke? I had an enjoyable 25 min easy, clean, fast bus ride on route 28 or 5 down to Cap Hill yesterday and back. I love the public transit here. And the new NG lightrail station is opening up a few blocks away from me.

Objektivity

Banned
Nov 18, 2017
That's great that OP moved since he didn't like Houston but to say that Seattle is more inclusive and less racist than Houston is just not true.

PIMPBYBLUD

Oct 27, 2017
What snow? Last year we got the first real snow we've had in years. It did last a week or two but there has been only two times I can remember since moving up here 18 years ago that the snow lasted more than a few days. It snows so little here people here are as terrified of it as Atlanta people are (that's something that didn't change when I moved here).

I moved from Vancouver in '97 the three years I lived there it snowed each year so not sure how the weather is now. I was really talking about how much rainfall occurs up in the Northwest. I can handle the snow but I hated having weeks of rain at a time. Ironically I live in Atlanta now :)

Oct 25, 2017
As a Scotsman who generally sees the US as an unpalatable shithole for living, the northwest of it seems the most attractive place to be. The weather will probably be similar to Scotland, and the general politics.
It's pretty similar most of the year. Summer is the biggest difference as here it's the dry season and it's typically very sunny and not much rain (if any). I believe Stinkles is from Scotland and lives here now unless I'm thinking of someone else? He'd probably be able to answer that one better.

Last edited:

Tigress

Oct 25, 2017
Washington
A joke? I had an enjoyable 25 min easy, clean, fast bus ride on route 28 or 5 down to Cap Hill yesterday and back. I love the public transit here. And the new NG lightrail station is opening up a few blocks away from me.

The mass transit may be good for what you need it for but that does not make it good. Just lucky you happen to need to go in the same route one bus goes. It says more about the system in houston that you think it's good here. And I hear people who just need to travel within Seattle saying it's decent. But if you need to get into Seattle or hell, visit other areas nearby that don't happen to be your city, it really sucks. And don't say you can't expect that. In Atlanta I could travel from just as far as I am now from Seattle easily by taking a train in (every 5 minutes one ran). If it wasn't on the train station it usually was one bus to or from the station to where I needed. I used to commute every day with the mass transit system and it was great. Not to mention if you saw how horrible traffic is here, you'd realize we really do need a good mass transit for commuters outside of seattle (especially as it is very expensive to live in seattle so you are going to have a lot of people live outside it who want to work inside it).

Here I have to hope that maybe where I'm going is somewhat easy to get to and I live near a park and ride (designed for commuters). If I want to use it to go to my work, I have to take three busses and walk a block from one stop to another at least once, and it would take more than an hour to get there (ignoring if the timing is right so I either get there way earlier than I need or later... there is no just take another bus five minuets later, it's a very set schedule I have to hope for). It takes me all of 13 minutes to drive to work. And I work at a mall... which should be another big destination for mass transit... but it's still hard to get there from a park and ride. And I have a coworker who does have to take the bus who has it worse than what I'd have to do if I wanted to use mass transit.

Hell, I remember before I lived here visiting a friend here who lived in Redmond with another friend visiting as well. We wanted to go to Seattle. Friend living here was working and sharing a car so we had no ride in. So we took the bus in. No one told us that the bus has very very specific times it comes in and out. a few hours in the morning into seattle, a few hours in the afternoon out. We missed that window. Luckily the transit driver who broke the news to us was willing to tell us a plan on how to get back to redmond using different busses.

I used to complain about Atlanta's, but trust me, this place has me realizing how much I took Atlanta's for granted (we lost federal money to Atlanta for mass transit cause Seattle couldn't come up with a plan while Atlanta had theirs all lined up).

SpartyCrunch

Xbox
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
Living in Seattle for a decade, I do wish our transit was better, but it's undeniably better than most other US cities. Even if light rail is nascent, busses are totally workable everywhere and enable me and my wife to practically never use our car and get around everywhere.

And I LOVE the weather. Even the Winter. Gimme rain nom nom nom

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's pretty similar most of the year. Summer is the biggest difference as here it's the dry season and it's typically very sunny and not much rain (if any). I believe Stinkles is from Scotland and lives here now unless I'm thinking of someone else? He'd probably be able to answer that one better.

I'm originally from Edinburgh, which is cold, wet and windy all year and extremely cold in winter. Climate has shifted since I was a kid - when winters were really quite severe with blizzards, whiteouts and ice storms pretty common from November on. Parts of Scotland's west coast are moderated somewhat by the northernmost flow f the gulf stream. Seattle's weather is MUCH more temperate and summers extremely warm, dry and pleasant. It also cools dramatically at night, sometimes going from 85 in the day to 58 at night - great for sleeping. It's wet and dreary in winter but never hard rain and almost no wind. As a result when it DOES get windy, trees lose a lot of branches quite suddenly.

Oct 25, 2017
I'm originally from Edinburgh, which is cold, wet and windy all year and extremely cold in winter. Climate has shifted since I was a kid - when winters were really quite severe with blizzards, whiteouts and ice storms pretty common from November on. Parts of Scotland's west coast are moderated somewhat by the northernmost flow f the gulf stream. Seattle's weather is MUCH more temperate and summers extremely warm, dry and pleasant. It also cools dramatically at night, sometimes going from 85 in the day to 58 at night - great for sleeping. It's wet and dreary in winter but never hard rain and almost no wind. As a result when it DOES get windy, trees lose a lot of branches quite suddenly.
Yeah I always hear about the wind in Scotland. Temp wise it doesn't look terrible in winter there with lows just above freezing but wind mixed with rain or snow just sucks. It just blows right in your face and feels like ice. Is the wind there sorta like being on the coast here?

Tigress

Oct 25, 2017
Washington
Living in Seattle for a decade, I do wish our transit was better, but it's undeniably better than most other US cities. Even if light rail is nascent, busses are totally workable everywhere and enable me and my wife to practically never use our car and get around everywhere.

And I LOVE the weather. Even the Winter. Gimme rain nom nom nom

Ugh. I'd hate to have to rely on busses to get everywhere here. As I said maybe if you are only staying within the city it's ok but other than that it's horrendous.

tabris

Oct 27, 2017
You should come to Vancouver BC at some point. I've always considered Seattle the dirty version of Vancouver.

This. So much.

Seattle used to be the big dog in the 90s and early 00s with the explosion of culture and business from there (Starbucks, Grunge, Microsoft, Amazon, etc) but Vancouver has not usurped it since the late 2000's and 2010's brought us all that Chinese money. Sure it's way too expensive due to this, but it's such an international class city now. It's close to 50% asian demographic. I felt more at home when feeling home sick in Hong Kong than I did in any other North American city. And the best thing is everything is brand new due to the huge development in the late 00s. Plus you get all the benefits of Canada - healthcare, people, government, etc.

Here are the only issues Vancouver has in my opinion:

- No Uber
- Cost
- Not much of a nightlife
- The weather between Oct to Apr is awful and dreary (but same as Seattle)
- No real extensive culture history (it's a new city really - or new to being an international city)

That's all. Everything else is incredible here. I've lived in 4 different cities (Vancouver, Boston, San Fran, and Tokyo) and stayed in several other cities for more than 4 weeks (Hong Kong, Seoul, Chicago, New York, Los Angeles, etc) and Vancouver during spring and summer is the best city in the world to live in.

My only caveat is you really need to be a traveller to consider it the best city to live in, as it is missing a decent amount of non-asian culture here - if you want to see things like incredible museums and galleries, enjoy crazy nightlife, see old architecture, etc - this is not the place for that, you need to travel to see that.

But the 2 reasons someone should ever pick Seattle over Vancouver is they A) Can't get a Canadian visa or B) They can't afford Vancouver. Both being very valid reasons.

EDIT - Work opportunities, friends and/or family as well of course.

Last edited:

Ultima_5

Oct 25, 2017
wish i made enough money to live in a better city. I like KC enough, and its affordable which is honestly more important to me.

Though if seattles full of folks who post as dicky as the OP, ill prob go to the east coast.

TheZynster

Oct 26, 2017
I've been to seattle twice for pax prime and man do i love the place. It's my dream place to live, perfect weather temperatures for me too..........love the fact that its never really too hot or cold and it rains quite a bit. I love teh rain

no NBA absolutely sucks though........would love to be a sonics fan

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This. So much.

Seattle used to be the big dog in the 90s and early 00s with the explosion of culture and business from there (Starbucks, Grunge, Microsoft, Amazon, etc) but Vancouver has not usurped it since the late 2000's and 2010's brought us all that Chinese money. Sure it's way too expensive due to this, but it's such an international class city now. It's close to 50% asian demographic. I felt more at home when feeling home sick in Hong Kong than I did in any other North American city. And the best thing is everything is brand new due to the huge development in the late 00s. Plus you get all the benefits of Canada - healthcare, people, government, etc.

Here are the only issues Vancouver has in my opinion:

- No Uber
- Cost
- Not much of a nightlife
- The weather between Oct to Apr is awful and dreary (but same as Seattle)
- No real extensive culture history (it's a new city really - or new to being an international city)

That's all. Everything else is incredible here. I've lived in 4 different cities (Vancouver, Boston, San Fran, and Tokyo) and stayed in several other cities for more than 4 weeks (Hong Kong, Seoul, Chicago, New York, Los Angeles, etc) and Vancouver during spring and summer is the best city in the world to live in.

My only caveat is you really need to be a traveller to consider it the best city to live in, as it is missing a decent amount of non-asian culture here - if you want to see things like incredible museums and galleries, enjoy crazy nightlife, see old architecture, etc - this is not the place for that, you need to travel to see that.

But the 2 reasons someone should ever pick Seattle over Vancouver is they A) Can't get a Canadian visa or B) They can't afford Vancouver. Both being very valid reasons.

EDIT - Work opportunities, friends and/or family as well of course.

Air Canada and Canadian telcoms though. Oh and Vancouver is chasing Seattle and San Francisco hard for the crazy wandering homeless trophy.

Edwardian Beard ubiquity as symbol of "individuality"

The Adder

Oct 25, 2017
Transit sucks if you've been here long enough. To people from outside of Seattle it's great.

Tawpgun

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
YOOOOOO

Last December/January we moved from Houston to the Seattle area. I only lived in Houston for a year and a half (from the Northeast/Boston originally) and my god it is so much better.

Being from the Northeast, Texas summers were BRUTAL. I also hated how far everything was. Felt like even if you live downtown you need a car there. The sprawl was godawful too. It's just a super ugly looking place.

Lived in Bellevue for a bit, now in Fall City. Would have preferred to live closer to the city but having been in Fall City for a bit its great being so close to the mountains and I utilize the snoqualmie river a lot

My only complaints so far
1. Seattles snow removal is GARBAGE. I was taken aback by this last winter. Had to use a lot of personal days because I straight up couldn't leave my neighborhood. That being said, as many have told me, it does not snow like that often. That was like a once in a decade winter.

2. I am spoiled by NYC and Boston. When/If seattle every gets more rail access it will be great. As it stands relying on buses if you are anywhere not in the core of seattle is awful. Busses in general are since you are stuck in traffic with cars anyway. I mean its loads better than Texas but it still is severely lacking from my perspective. I tried taking transit from bellevue to the airport once. ONCE. Never again.

3. Day to day weather in the summer is perfect. 70's and not much rain.... but I do kinda wish we could have some hotter days to utlize the water more. I live right by the Snoqualmie river and its kinda rough going tubing or swimming in snow melt water when its in the low 70's partly cloudly. It's possible and I've done it but... It would be nice to be able to have a day in the 80's. I went to Lake Wenatchee last weekend for a day trip and people were chilling on the beach in sweat shirts due to cloud cover + some gnarly wind. Lake Chelan would have been a better choice, but it is nice that if you want to experience 80's/90's you can just take a 2 hour drive to the other side of the mountains.

OP, visit Leavenworth if you can this summer that place is beyond beautiful.

tabris

Oct 27, 2017
Air Canada and Canadian telcoms though. Oh and Vancouver is chasing Seattle and San Francisco hard for the crazy wandering homeless trophy.

I don't consider the homeless situation a problem. It's an opportunity to centralize better services for those less fortunate and unfortunately neither of the 3 cities does a great job with things like mental health facilities, drug addiction facilities, etc. At least Vancouver has a safe injection site facility (not that many needles on our streets thanks to it).

Air Canada is much better than United, Delta, American Airlines, etc. It's the best of the nationally available North American airlines (airlines such as JetBlue are better but you're too limited on where / when you can use them).

Canadian Telcoms is a very valid problem. Ugh. It's slowly getting better each year. Now all the Canadian telecoms offer "unlimited" data plans (really you have a cap of 10GB and then they throttle you, so not really unlimited).

h1nch

Dec 12, 2017
Re: transit, the last time I was in Seattle I attempted to use the bus system as much as I could to get out to various neighborhoods with mixed results. In my experience the bus was usually 5-15 mins late, and on one occasion didn't stop, and another it just no-showed until the next interval. I found the bus system in Portland to be far more reliable, but obviously both cases were as a visitor so my sample size was small.

I did appreciate being able to take the light rail to/from the airport. Always love cities that have a rail system to get from airport to downtown as I dislike long cab/uber rides.

DiceHands

Oct 27, 2017
As someone who wants to follow this same route, OP. I am glad to hear it was worth it. Leaving family behind will be hard but I need to get the fuck out of this oven they call a state.

Lashes.541

Dec 18, 2017
Roseburg Oregon
I can't afford to live in a blue state. Disabled, and my wife doesn't make enough for finances to be easy.

I did move from Ohio to Wisconsin two months ago, and so far I'm in the same sort of positive mood, but give it time. Every area has its issues.
Why not? Is it the cost of moving? I live in Oregon(a blue state) it's a small town (20.000) but I'm also disabled and my rent is only 150$ a month. It can be expensive most likely in Portland or Seattle but the nice thing about blue states is there are programs set up to help people on disability with places to rent and to help cover things like electricity etc. years ago when I was married before I got my disability I did not have a job, my wife was on disability and we had a pretty big two bedroom apartment and still had money for gas, eating out, buying way to many video games lol. We never had a problem finding affordable places to live, moved into different places like three times in five years. But still that depends if you are okay living in a smaller town.

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't consider the homeless situation a problem. It's an opportunity to centralize better services for those less fortunate and unfortunately neither of the 3 cities does a great job with things like mental health facilities, drug addiction facilities, etc. At least Vancouver has a safe injection site facility (not that many needles on our streets thanks to it).

Air Canada is much better than United, Delta, American Airlines, etc. It's the best of the nationally available North American airlines (airlines such as JetBlue are better but you're too limited on where / when you can use them).

Canadian Telcoms is a very valid problem. Ugh. It's slowly getting better each year. Now all the Canadian telecoms offer "unlimited" data plans (really you have a cap of 10GB and then they throttle you, so not really unlimited).

I only ever fly air Canada international long haul and its business class is brutal relative to competitors. Domestic is a mystery to me. But we can finally fly direct by seaplane from Seattle downtown to Vancouver downtown which is FANTASTIC. Kenmore Air btw.

Elderly Parrot

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Aug 13, 2018
Alaskan airlines is pretty much the best airline in the US and Seattle is like a major hub for them

Zeshakag

Oct 28, 2017
Agreed. I've always had really good experiences flying Alaskan (and they offer a direct flight between SAT and SEA!)

Delta too. We've also started getting a lot of direct flights to European cities which is baller. I don't live in Seattle proper. If I get this job I'm gunning for I may soon, but I love living where I am now with a car, which is Seatac. Not yet super gentrified so you get a lot of the good stank and you're only half an hour away from downtown Seattle, plus light rail.

XuandeXun

Self-requested ban
Banned
May 16, 2019
Why not? Is it the cost of moving? I live in Oregon(a blue state) it's a small town (20.000) but I'm also disabled and my rent is only 150$ a month. It can be expensive most likely in Portland or Seattle but the nice thing about blue states is there are programs set up to help people on disability with places to rent and to help cover things like electricity etc. years ago when I was married before I got my disability I did not have a job, my wife was on disability and we had a pretty big two bedroom apartment and still had money for gas, eating out, buying way to many video games lol. We never had a problem finding affordable places to live, moved into different places like three times in five years. But still that depends if you are okay living in a smaller town.

Perhaps its just my being unaware of what's out there. I don't have much of a support structure (ie. family), and neither me or my wife have much experience dealing with programs for low income/disability.

I was moving from Ohio, and we wanted to move in a northern direction for weather reasons, so that pretty much meant staying in the Midwest or moving closer to East Coast, and we quickly decided that the latter was unaffordable. My wife wanted to job transfer, so we were limited to areas where her job existed. We ended up in Wisconsin.

Lashes.541

Dec 18, 2017
Roseburg Oregon
YOOOOOO

Last December/January we moved from Houston to the Seattle area. I only lived in Houston for a year and a half (from the Northeast/Boston originally) and my god it is so much better.

Being from the Northeast, Texas summers were BRUTAL. I also hated how far everything was. Felt like even if you live downtown you need a car there. The sprawl was godawful too. It's just a super ugly looking place.

Lived in Bellevue for a bit, now in Fall City. Would have preferred to live closer to the city but having been in Fall City for a bit its great being so close to the mountains and I utilize the snoqualmie river a lot

My only complaints so far
1. Seattles snow removal is GARBAGE. I was taken aback by this last winter. Had to use a lot of personal days because I straight up couldn't leave my neighborhood. That being said, as many have told me, it does not snow like that often. That was like a once in a decade winter.

2. I am spoiled by NYC and Boston. When/If seattle every gets more rail access it will be great. As it stands relying on buses if you are anywhere not in the core of seattle is awful. Busses in general are since you are stuck in traffic with cars anyway. I mean its loads better than Texas but it still is severely lacking from my perspective. I tried taking transit from bellevue to the airport once. ONCE. Never again.

3. Day to day weather in the summer is perfect. 70's and not much rain.... but I do kinda wish we could have some hotter days to utlize the water more. I live right by the Snoqualmie river and its kinda rough going tubing or swimming in snow melt water when its in the low 70's partly cloudly. It's possible and I've done it but... It would be nice to be able to have a day in the 80's. I went to Lake Wenatchee last weekend for a day trip and people were chilling on the beach in sweat shirts due to cloud cover + some gnarly wind. Lake Chelan would have been a better choice, but it is nice that if you want to experience 80's/90's you can just take a 2 hour drive to the other side of the mountains.

OP, visit Leavenworth if you can this summer that place is beyond beautiful.
Man the snow was really bad last year in the PNW lol. I'm in southern Oregon, and I'm no stranger to snow. Lived in Alaska for a while. Last winter we got three feet in 48hours and it completely shut down my town for weeks. No snow shovel trucks in my town, power outages for some people that pacific power did not get fixed for weeks. Could not even leave my apartment for three days because I no longer own snow boots, my mom lived less than a mile from my apartment and her truck got stuck in the snow just trying to drive up my hill. The governor declared it a natural disaster and some how got trump to send millions too the county. It was horrible lol.

tabris

Oct 27, 2017
I only ever fly air Canada international long haul and its business class is brutal relative to competitors. Domestic is a mystery to me. But we can finally fly direct by seaplane from Seattle downtown to Vancouver downtown which is FANTASTIC. Kenmore Air btw.

Yeah it's not great internationally, but you may need to experience a United, Southwest, Delta, etc airline domestically again to regain perspective.

North American Airlines are just plain brutal / awful.

And yeah I heard about the seaplane. Next business trip I need to do to Seattle I'll take that - I live right downtown only like 4 block walk away from the seaplane terminal.

Lashes.541

Dec 18, 2017
Roseburg Oregon
Perhaps its just my being unaware of what's out there. I don't have much of a support structure (ie. family), and neither me or my wife have much experience dealing with programs for low income/disability.

I was moving from Ohio, and we wanted to move in a northern direction for weather reasons, so that pretty much meant staying in the Midwest or moving closer to East Coast, and we quickly decided that the latter was unaffordable. My wife wanted to job transfer, so we were limited to areas where her job existed. We ended up in Wisconsin.
I get that, but hey there are a ton of worse states to be trapped in than Wisconsin :) like the Deep South lol.

JohnsonUT

Oct 27, 2017
Moved from Texas to Seattle in December. Seattle has a rep for having bad weather, but it is actually incredible. I will take an overcast, 70 degree summer day over 105 degrees because you can still go outdoors and do things. Even when it rains here, you don't really need an umbrella and can be outside. In Texas, when it actually rains, it is torrential down pour.

Some negatives:
Everything is really expensive here. There is like a 30% premium on everything. When deciding to move here, I knew some things were more expensive, but I was not prepared for everything. We went to Portland for a weekend and it was great to be able to eat out and not have a huge bill.
Seatac is a terrible airport. It is crowded and feels run down. I am hoping all the new work will give it a better feel. (On a positive, when you fly into Seattle on a clear day, the views leaving the airport are spectacular)
The BBQ and mexican is not good. No breakfast tacos. No Kolaches. (Otherwise, I have not had a bad meal)

Veliladon

Oct 27, 2017
The biggest problem with Seattle winter is that said winters are nowhere near cold or wintry enough to warrant winter tires except for one snow day every three years where everything goes to shit, and nobody can do anything.

It's not like here in Boston where I can confidently throw on winter tires from Thanksgiving to Tax Day and know I can handle whatever weather the area throws at me.

Tawpgun

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The biggest problem with Seattle winter is that said winters are nowhere near cold or wintry enough to warrant winter tires except for one snow day every three years where everything goes to shit, and nobody can do anything.

It's not like here in Boston where I can confidently throw on winter tires from Thanksgiving to Tax Day and know I can handle whatever weather the area throws at me.
Man in Boston you don't even need snow tires. It's relatively flat and gets salted and plowed well. I grew up in CT near New York and then lived in Boston for 6 years and I have never owned a pair of snow tires.

Hell, although there were some sketchy parts, I used to go skiing in Maine/NH without ever needing them.

That being said, I will consider buying some this winter here since I bought the Ikon pass and want to go skiing at Crystal and maybe do some winter hikes. I straight up couldn't go on amazing powder days last winter because my car couldn't make it.

Deleted member 42472

User requested account closure
Banned
Apr 21, 2018
Man in Boston you don't even need snow tires. It's relatively flat and gets salted and plowed well. I grew up in CT near New York and then lived in Boston for 6 years and I have never owned a pair of snow tires.

Hell, although there were some sketchy parts, I used to go skiing in Maine/NH without ever needing them.

That being said, I will consider buying some this winter here since I bought the Ikon pass and want to go skiing at Crystal and maybe do some winter hikes. I straight up couldn't go on amazing powder days last winter because my car couldn't make it.
The general lack of snow leads to a lot of cities/states not being ready to handle what snow they do get. And when they do get said snow the people who live there have no idea how to drive in it

I'm from the east coast. I have lots of experience driving through states of emergency and thick slush and ice on bald tires. I've met lots of folk who don't feel comfortable driving up a freshly plowed road to the ski hill.

That being said: having an AWD vehicle with good tires is amazing.