• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Nothing Loud

Literally Cinderella
Oct 25, 2017
Jesus Christ, I knew Texas was a shithole red state (having lived in Houston and DFW my whole life), and I knew Seattle tops several lists as desirable places to live and effective progressive policy, but I wasn't prepared for just how good it is. It's like I moved from a developing nation.

- People are OUTRAGEOUSLY nice. Not the fake southern bullshit kind of polite where people grit their teeth. All my neighbors have welcomed me, everyone has been super friendly, people smile and say hello on the street, especially when they notice I'm proudly holding hands with my same sex spouse.
- The government offices/entities are super straightforward and easy to navigate. Getting a WA license was TOO easy, half of it was online, the DMV's have Saturday hours, no line, friendly workers, kind representatives on the phone. In Texas, the government workers are underpaid, grouchy people, the phone lines never answer, the DMV's are hours-long waits and people are mean and rude. The healthcare reps that helped me find out how to qualify for marketplace plans and Apple Care here were very helpful and kind. Polar opposite experience to people in Texas.
- The healthcare is phenomenal. UW Medicine has handled me so well and carefully compared to my providers in Texas.
- The weather is incredible. Seattle summers in the 70s compared to Texas summers? I'll take it. Plus the rain is nothing compared to Texas flash floods, hurricanes, hailstorms and tornadoes.
- The Asian food is lightyears past anything in Houston or DFW, just what the fuck at how good it is here.
- The city is super walkable even north in Ballard and Phinney Ridge. Usable, CLEAN, reliable public transit that is expanded and real, being paid for by real tax dollars (not wasted like in CA).
- Even the churches are super gay and immigrant friendly, with pride flags on every block, unlike the republican southern baptist bullshit in Texas.
- There are so many outdoor activities, lakes and mountains and beaches nearby everywhere. Blue skies today with farmers markets.
- The Coffee is so good (I approve as a Colombian).
- The economy and jobs here are great.
- Yes the state has its problems and it harbors white supremacists, but don't pretend that shit isn't in full force in Texas. This city is WAY more tolerant of "others."
- I feel safe as a gay man. My husband is a teacher and his fucking school district has a lesbian married Native American on the board.
- Strong union state. My spouse is getting well paid, his benefits coverage actually INCREASED this year, and the school actively advocates for LGBT families.
- My benefits through my employer are so much better here than in Texas.

Just so so much more I can't even describe how amazing my life has become here.

If anyone is hating their life in a southern/red state I suggest moving somewhere new to see if it makes a difference

thekonamicode

Oct 27, 2017
I need to get my ass out of Louisiana and head to Washington, as many of my closest friends already have.

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I want to move to Seattle so bad and this thread is making me jealous

BreakyBoy

Oct 27, 2017
As a fellow transplant from a southern state (Florida) who moved up here 3 years ago, and liked it so much I bought a home here: Welcome!

And yes, absolutely agreed.

All that being said, a little perspective:

If anyone is hating their life in a southern/red state I suggest moving somewhere new to see if it makes a difference

This isn't a viable option for most people. Not least of which, is because Seattle is an expensive place to live, and projects to only get more expensive over time, because the people who are moving here, tend to have the money needed.

Oh yeah, and we're displacing a lot of people who have been here all along. I see some of the worst effects of that every day on my commute. That's kind of a big problem.

Also, check back in when you live through an interminably rainy, dark winter.

Protip: Stock up on Vitamin D supplements, even if you think you won't need them.

Trisc

Oct 27, 2017
Welcome to Washington. You made the right decision.

You'll come to miss the barbecue, but you'll be grateful for the excellent selection of local ciders. Check out Schilling Cider in Seattle, if you get the chance.

OP
OP
Nothing Loud

Nothing Loud

Literally Cinderella
Oct 25, 2017
As a fellow transplant from a southern state (Florida) who moved up here 3 years ago, and liked it so much I bought a home here: Welcome!

And yes, absolutely agreed.

All that being said, a little perspective:

This isn't a viable option for most people. Not least of which, is because Seattle is an expensive place to live, and projects to only get more expensive over time, because the people who are moving here, tend to have the money needed.

Oh yeah, and we're displacing a lot of people who have been here all along. I see some of the worst effects of that every day on my commute. That's kind of a big problem.

Also, check back in when you live through an interminably rainy, dark winter.

Of course it's not possible for everyone, sadly :( but if the chance is there, I recommend it!

Gentrification and displacement is a problem, yes, but I saw it in Texas getting worse every day. The problem is that downtown Dallas and Austin have 1BR apartments reaching the $1500-2000/mo price threshold and for WHAT? To live in TEXAS? And still suffer gentrification but with 110F summers? For that price, go to one of the coasts.

Dali

Oct 27, 2017
I need to get my ass out of Louisiana and head to Washington, as many of my closest friends already have.
I moved from that post apocalyptic wasteland to Columbus and haven't looked back. I'm not gay so a lot of the stuff OP mentioned doesn't apply to me, but going from a red dumpster fire city/state to a blue city/purple state is might and day in quality of life, management of resources, and benefits of living in the city.

OP
OP
Nothing Loud

Nothing Loud

Literally Cinderella
Oct 25, 2017
Yes the weather can be bi-polar but the winters in Houston are actually decent overall and I've been living in Houston for over 30 years.

They're shit winters IMO. 20-50F with wind and rain but no snow, and what do you get when it's all over? 100F summers with humidity and mosquitoes. There's only 2 weeks a year where the weather is in that nice 70s sunny range.

Meanwhile in Seattle, you earn an AMAZING summer after a rainy winter.

ianpm31

Oct 27, 2017
They're shit winters IMO. 20-50F with wind and rain but no snow, and what do you get when it's all over? 100F summers with humidity and mosquitoes. There's only 2 weeks a year where the weather is in that nice 70s sunny range.

Meanwhile in Seattle, you earn an AMAZING summer after a rainy winter.
Definitely agree with you on the summers. It's horrible and would choose Washington weather over Texas any day.

StormBrute

Oct 26, 2017
I'm moving up to the area from Utah pretty soon. I'm excited for it!

Utah is a weird state that is pretty nice and just does it own thing, but it's such a monoculture outside of SLC and the colleges that it gets really confining. It will also be super nice to go from dry and super high elevation where the sun is beating down on you and the pollution gets trapped in the valley to on the coast by the ocean.

nitewulf

Nov 29, 2017
WTF, you're making me want to move from NYC. I visited Austin, Houston and San Antonio and actually had fun, but not long enough to assess anything. I been to Seattle as well, it's a great city. Any of the major cities in PNW are fantastic.

dlauv

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Houstonian here: I might try vacationing in Seattle just to get my toes wet. I haven't thought of moving since I was younger, and it's hard to imagine it now. I hear nothing but good things about the Seattle and Portland areas. That all sounds incredible tho. And I'll throw my hat in: Houston winters are shit. The cold days are colder than places I've been to where it snows (due to the intense humidity) and other times it's just muggy bullshit (due to the intense humidity). On the other hand, I saw Trevor Noah a couple weeks ago, and he was saying Houston is hotter than Africa (due to the intense humidity).

affeinvasion

Oct 26, 2017
I moved from that post apocalyptic wasteland to Columbus and haven't looked back. I'm not gay so a lot of the stuff OP mentioned doesn't apply to me, but going from a red dumpster fire city/state to a blue city/purple state is might and day in quality of life, management of resources, and benefits of living in the city.
The thing that sucks is when you live in a red city in a mostly blue state.

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
tLoKxIcl.jpg

BreakyBoy

Oct 27, 2017
going from a red dumpster fire city/state to a blue city/purple state is might and day in quality of life, management of resources, and benefits of living in the city.

Yeah, I love Seattle, but that's the real lesson here.

Tacoma area is pretty nice too, and a little cheaper.

Also agreed. I bought a condo in the city, but if I ever decide I need a house, Tacoma is probably the first place I'll look. That seems to be everyone's idea though, so we'll see how long it stays cheaper.

Dr. Feel Good

Oct 25, 2017
Nope. Seattle is leaps and bounds over Austin. Move to Seattle, please.

Music scene, drinking scene, overall year round weather, cost of living, upper education, and jobs are all superior in Austin as far as I'm concerned. Seattle has the edge on outdoor activities but it's overrun by tech yuppies who abandoned SF (Austin is getting there too).

I've lived in Pacific NW (Portland) it was fun for a couple years. Couldn't be there forever.

Deleted member 23850

Oct 28, 2017
Music scene, drinking scene, overall year round weather, cost of living, upper education, and jobs are all superior in Austin as far as I'm concerned. Seattle has the edge on outdoor activities but it's overrun by tech yuppies who abandoned SF (Austin is getting there too).

I've lived in Pacific NW (Portland) it was fun for a couple years. Couldn't be there forever.

This is all lies. Austin is the worst. Nuclear wasteland. Toxic dump. Volcanic eruptions. No fun. No jobs. No homes. Zombie invasion. Cracktown. No sunshine. No music. Sinkholes. Earthquakes. Tsunamis. No food. No water. No more room.

OP
OP
Nothing Loud

Nothing Loud

Literally Cinderella
Oct 25, 2017
You're living a bubble if you haven't seen the problems this city has. Have you walked downtown? Have you seen the cost of living?

Yes and yes. All stuff Texas has or is worsening.

Honestly I'd rather be homeless here than in Austin, Houston, or DFW. In both cases you'd be on the street next to new $1500-2000/mo apartments, but at least the weather wouldn't literally kill me and I would qualify for Apple Health (WA Medicaid). WA at least has some subsidized housing based on income levels. You think red states like Texas have ANYTHING to offer homeless or jobless people? You can't even reach a grocery store without a car

Deleted member 2317

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah that's what it's like to live outside of the fuckwit bible belt fuckhole Southern US.

Source: I grew up in Virginia and moved away.

Poor towns in the south are like time traveling decades back in every manner possible. There were places in rural Virginia and North Carolina that creeped me the fuck out.

chubigans

Vertigo Gaming Inc.
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
The problem is you lived in Houston, the worst city in America.

You could'a found most of that in Dallas haha

Deleted member 13645

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I hope to move to a place like Seattle once i'm a bit further in my career and can afford it. Seems like a really great place to live.

GenericGhost

Nov 24, 2017
Been trying to get to Seattle for the last 2 years or so, but going there without a job lined up is a big no for me. Cost of living is too high to not have an income.

ProfessorLobo

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I agree with most of that but that's the first time I've seen someone compliment seattles public transportation.