• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Mechanized

Oct 27, 2017
and fuck that I learned about Ultimate Red Skull and he was Steve Rogers son who went fuckin nuts and murdered 200 soldiers and cut his own face off then assassinated John F. Kennedy what the hell dude. Is this just Mark Millars shit? Does he regularly do wacky stuff like this?

OwOtacon

Alt Account
Banned
Dec 18, 2018
Ultimate was such a shitshow. A hilarious shitshow to read about on wikis but an awful one to actually read.

Oct 31, 2017
The Ultimate universe was really cool before it went 95% edgy

Mark Millar's first couple Ultimates arcs were great comics for 13 year olds

Akira86

Oct 25, 2017
Ultimate Marvel was pretty...uh.......edgy.

I will admit the Wolverine getting torn in half and tossed bit was funny. But they were always constantly trying to go 'there'. Sometimes it landed, other times it went splat.

And then instances of edgelord bleed-over into the "real" Marvel, what they did with Sinthea, the Red Skull's daughter and how she got HER red skull.

Last edited:

Wood Man

Oct 30, 2017
That's one of bad thing in the Ultimate Universe. Pretty stupid. They also have goat leg Doom and Blob eats the Wasp.

CoolestSpot

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
latest

latest

Green Skull and Gold Skull better

thetrin

Oct 26, 2017
Atlanta, GA
Imagine how great Ultimate would've been if it had been Bendis and Hickman instead of Bendis and Millar.

Hickman tried his best on Ultimates, and we got The Maker, despite most of the toys in the toybox already being broken.

I thought ultimatel Spider-Man was pretty good. Or was that the exception?

Or was it still bad and I was too young to notice?
That's an exception. Bendis rocked that whole run.

TheMango55

Banned
Nov 1, 2017

It was the exception.

Don't get me wrong I loved Ultimates Vol. 1 and 2. They had some cringy edgelord stuff in them but I was in high school and college so I appreciated that stuff at that time.

Then Vol 3 came out and they took out all the cool stuff (like nobody being sure if Thor was a god or just a hippie who got his hands on some tech) and pumped the cringe up to 11 (like kicking the incest angle into overdrive with the Maximoffs)

Dec 29, 2017
Ultimate had some interesting concepts like everything being linked to captain America's super soldier serum and Spider-Man. But most of it was shock value crap.

Radd Redd

Oct 27, 2017
Ultimate had some interesting concepts like everything being linked to captain America's super soldier serum and Spider-Man. But most of it was shock value crap.
I loved that. In fact many marvel movies take those very ideas from the Ultimates comic books including the Hulk origin super soldier program.

Ichthyosaurus

Banned
Dec 26, 2018
To this day I still can't believe someone tried to write this as if Cap was the one in the wrong. " It's just some incest, stop being so old-fashioned!!!!!" It boggles my mind.

He did this at an Iron Fist panel, people were not amused.

people-have-mixed-feelings-about-marvels-head-of--2-19797-1532136043-0_dblbig.jpg

Which is a pity, at a certain point in the 90's he was a reliable workhorse for Marvel at writing, sort of like Chuck Dixon before he went off the rails.

Forkball

Oct 25, 2017
Remember when Captain America dissed France during the climax of a battle? Or when the bad guys headquarters was in France during Ultimates 2?

Oct 31, 2017

Bendis' Ultimate Spider-Man is one of the modern great superhero comic runs and the most influential version of Spider-Man since Lee & Ditko's original Amazing Spider-Man comics.

The Ultimate Universe was mostly really good until it got really bad.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
Remember when Captain America dissed France during the climax of a battle? Or when the bad guys headquarters was in France during Ultimates 2?

Did that scene happen before or after those pages in 616 where it was Captain America going over how the French never stopped fighting? I think that was in the original Winter Soldier storyline.

Forkball

Oct 25, 2017
Did that scene happen before or after those pages in 616 where it was Captain America going over how the French never stopped fighting? I think that was in the original Winter Soldier storyline.
Probably before. This was peak freedom fries era. I also want to say the bad guys base was literally under the Eiffel Tower but I might be misremembering.

That aside, when I first read Ultimates I thought, "If they ever make an Avengers movie, it will be like this." And it basically was minus some obvious changes. MCU owes a lot to the ideas first introduced in the original Ultimate universe.

CthulhuSars

Oct 25, 2017
and fuck that I learned about Ultimate Red Skull and he was Steve Rogers son who went fuckin nuts and murdered 200 soldiers and cut his own face off then assassinated John F. Kennedy what the hell dude. Is this just Mark Millars shit? Does he regularly do wacky stuff like this?

Welcome to Mark Miller. Read the rest of his stuff now.

Teggy

Oct 25, 2017
"Tastes like chicken"

Yeah there was a comic from around Secret Wars (the recent one) time period where Red Skull gets punched in the face and his mask breaks and there's a regular guy underneath and I was very confused.

Radd Redd

Oct 27, 2017
Remember in Ultimate Spiderman how Gwen Stacy randomly dies walking home by Carnage hiding in the bushes? What was up with that.