• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

RaySpencer

Oct 27, 2017
You could just as easily get lemon squash or another fruit squash and add water to it. It isn't lemonade but it's better than those powdered ones.

One the real though, Americans who haven't tried it should try blackcurrant squash when they visit Europe or elsewhere that has it. It isn't My favourite by far but considering most Americans have never had blackcurrants before it's worth it to try something that's rarer to Americans.

We have Ribena here in Canada. I like it, but it's different.

The powdered drinks are good, they are just as bad a pop. Basically the same amount of sugar, they just taste different.

Dis

Oct 27, 2017
We have Ribena here in Canada. I like it, but it's different.

The powdered drinks are good, they are just as bad a pop. Basically the same amount of sugar, they just taste different.

Oh Canadian haha, yeah sorry assumed you were American. Yeah Americans mostly haven't had blackcurrants due to a long, long, long ban on blackcurrants to protect trees or something which is why I said they should try some of it if they see some.

But yeah I have the powdered stuff in my cupboard from America, I rarely if ever use it as it's just not as good as squash to me here but it will do in a pinch.

Crushed

Oct 25, 2017
every three months some British person goes viral tweeting something like "i just learned that Americans don't serve their french fries ice cold????" with dozens of horrified replies going like "wait, so they eat them warm and damp? what the fuck?" "yeah and they cook them in oil instead of something normal like goose piss, which explains why they're all so unhealthy"

lunarworks

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
limonata-can-front_CA_EN.jpg

?
Going off-track for a sec, the blood orange is fire.

vVxXcK9.jpg

Busaiku

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
You know, most apple cider in the US also isn't alcoholic.

Last edited:

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
As it's probably been said, we have non-carbonated and carbonated variants here, but the non-carbonated variant is the one that is what is considered standard "lemonade."

I love the carbonated version though, but b is hard to find. X.x

Xbox Live Mike

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
USA
Where I live we do a half sprite half lemonade that's pretty good, but I wouldn't want a lemonade carbonated regularly. In strawberry lemonade do you put in fresh cut strawberries? Thats what I like.

affeinvasion

Oct 26, 2017
Is Gatorade carbonated in Europe? How many ades can they ruin with stinky gas?

I do like "French" lemonade as it's often called here, and it's pretty much available at most grocery stores these days. Nothing beats a lemon shakeup at the fair while waiting to go see Smash Mouth or some other vaguely familiar shit band.

PirateHearts

Oct 27, 2017
North Texas
Ha, yeah, that was a fun thing to discover as an American moving to England as a kid.

Honestly, they're just two totally different things. If you imagine American lemonade being carbonated, that's weird. If you imagine British lemonade being flat, that's also weird. Apples and oranges. And lemons.

Hynx

Sep 25, 2020
We have both here in Canada. Normal lemonade that most fruit drink companies make (ex: Minute Maid) that's definitely the more popular of the two.

President's Choice (a Canadian brand) makes the carbonated version in 12 pack of cans (and yes it's a different taste than Sprite or Fresca as some in this thread have mentioned). No clue if there are other brands as well, that's the only one I've seen and tried.

HeySeuss

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
every three months some British person goes viral tweeting something like "i just learned that Americans don't serve their french fries ice cold????" with dozens of horrified replies going like "wait, so they eat them warm and damp? what the fuck?" "yeah and they cook them in oil instead of something normal like goose piss, which explains why they're all so unhealthy"
Fucking goose piss lol

Watchtower

Oct 27, 2017
Mmm not true. Americans know the distinction between apple cider and juice. Odds are if you ask for a cider in a restaurant here you're more likely to get hard cider.

"Cider" is used both for the alcoholic drink as well as a certain type of non-alcoholic apple juice that tends to be distinctly all-natural vs. the artificial major brands. "Hard" cider specifies the alcoholic version though in my experience it's more that the difference is determined implicitly. Like, you're not gonna order hard cider at a supermarket and you're not going to order not-hard cider at a restaurant.

lunarworks

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
President's Choice (a Canadian brand) makes the carbonated version in 12 pack of cans (and yes it's a different taste than Sprite or Fresca as some in this thread have mentioned). No clue if there are other brands as well, that's the only one I've seen and tried.
Sanpellegrino. It used to be found mainly at pizza joints, but in the last several years it's become available pretty much everywhere. Most supermarkets carry it, and most good convenience stores too.

Watchtower

Oct 27, 2017

Lmfao

Carbon

Deploying the stealth Cruise Missile
Oct 27, 2017
Country time and other powder-based lemonades are shit. I'd rather have sparkling lemonade than those.

Lemonade made from real lemon juice (preferably fresh squeezed) is 1000% better than either. Not too sweet, just a little tart, and endlessly refreshing.

Rellodex

Oct 29, 2017
I guess if you made lemonade super strong and then added it to carbonated water it'd probably actually be pretty good.

Garrod Ran

self-requested ban
Banned
Mar 23, 2018
If you go to the US and order cider, you basically get apple juice. Bunch of heathens, I tell you.
you can blame prohibition on that one

after alcohol was banned, the cider makers had to find some way to keep selling the stuff

it wasn't till later that there was demand for alcoholic cider again, so they had to differentiate cider and hard cider.

Oct 29, 2017
Florida
and it always turns out that literally nobody outside of the UK eats whatever the hell they're talking about and they continue to act like 'everybody eats this except for americans'

CONCHOBAR

Oct 25, 2017
I oftentimes look at things from other countries and think to myself "man, the way they do it is so much better." This is not one of those times.

Oct 27, 2017

So it's just...juice? Just had the biggest "Holy Shit" moment of my life because I finally understood how all these kids in US movies can just open "lemonade" stands whenever they want. Always was really impressed that, apparently, every child in the US knows how to make Sprite on the side walk. Turns out they are just squeezing a lemon, mix it with water and corn syrup (I was corrected that they use sugar, not corn syrup, so there you go) and call it a day?

Non carbonated lemonade. I'm distraught.

Carbonated lemonade is awful

olubode

Oct 28, 2017
Important to note they changed their receipe a few years back so you have to be diligent.

The new cans look like these:

377f3642-dfb5-42e2-8edb-4d179e50e7b2_excelsiorlef_a_soda_can_of_Hinkle_Petes_Lemon_Retreat_documentary_photography.png

a21b8110-9c2b-434b-83c3-8992f9ab6909_excelsiorlef_httpss.mj.runeMMe9Y__a_soda_can_of_Hinkle_Petes_Lemon_Retreat_documentary_photography.png

19fd0274-20c3-4337-960d-c4863abf0e01_excelsiorlef_httpss.mj.runeMMe9Y__a_soda_can_of_Hinkle_Petes_Lemon_Retreat_documentary_photography.png

If you're wondering about the text the inventor of Lemon Retreat Pete Hinkle was also a linguistic and character (as in letters) deconstructionist, so he put it in his will that all cans of Lemon Retreat have a vaguely deconstructed presentation, you can identify the text if you know it but it's always just a bit off. Brilliant man really. He flipped his name of course for the rhyming scheme

Now anyway these you can probably find in the Eastern US and Canada, not every store but some.

But fot the best best best experience look for this can:

d26ee264-9e43-44d3-8f62-879ad624730e_excelsiorlef_a_soda_can_of_Hinkle_Petes_Lemon_Retreat_documentary_photography.png

It's the old receipe.

You'll notice no branding. This is why I mentioned Bodegas in NY and Vibes

Back story on this can, a few years some Hinkleheads (our fan club) were upset by the new receipe, introduced just after Hinkle Pete passed on. The new recipe is fineish but the company decided to go with cheaper more artificial ingredients that just rob Lemon Retreat of its integrity, good in a pinch, but just nowhere near the same.

Anyway, these NY based Hinkleheads actually decided recreate and self distribute the old receipe. It's pretty ingenious really they got the receipe from the United States Copyright Office by claiming they needed it to defend against the HinklePeteCo's infringement claims against their attempts at home brewing, home brewing they hadn't even started yet.

So they got it and made some backdoor, back alley deal with some really cool local bodegas to stock the cans with the generic unbranded label and just basically rely on the Hinklehead Network of fans to drive sales. It's worked out pretty well tbh.

So yeah that's why I said go to Bodegas it's the only way to experience a true Lemon Retreat.
How does one go about getting the old version?

Crayolan

Oct 25, 2017
this looks like a drink that a wealthy, well-established, quite dapper 45 year old man would pull out of his cabinet in the middle of him lecturing you about the renaissance

It's Trader Joe's lol.

But yes putting the word "sparkling" in the name of any drink makes it seem fancier than it is.

I_love_potatoes

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Jul 6, 2020
I'm from the UK and I've never seen a store or a person say that lemonade is carbonated soda. Its always been Lemons + Water + Sugar whenever I order a "lemonade drink" from anywhere.

Even at home I make it that way.

Mechaplum

Enlightened
Oct 26, 2017
JP
I've never really thought about it, but I guess you'd have to specify sparkling lemonade and just make it more concentrated before adding in some carbonated water.

The real crime is when you order an iced tea and get the cruel prank of cold unsweetened tea.

Unsweetened is best though.

tmarg

Oct 25, 2017
Kalamazoo
To be fair, in my mind most children use real sugar instead of corn syrup. Maybe that has changed since I was a kid.

I've had European style lemonades in various places in Europe and I'm honestly jelly. We need more soda variety over here badly, gas stations near me only carry the most basic Coke and Pepsi.
Most childred use Country Time style powdered shit, which is probably worse than the British version and definitely worse than real lemonade. To be fair, making real lemonade is a lot more involved than just mixing the sugar and juice together.

deimosmasque

Ugly, Queer, Gender-Fluid, Drive-In Mutant, yes?
Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl
Lemonade is carbonated outside of the US?

Turns out they are just squeezing a lemon, mix it with water and corn syrup (I was corrected that they use sugar, not corn syrup, so there you go) and call it a day?

Non carbonated lemonade. I'm distraught.

Hahahahaha.
They don't use actual lemons they use a mix.

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
As a chef I find this really hilarious, because it's 100% true.