• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 29, 2017
But what if they decided to shoehorn that tragic and horrid retcon in the trilogy remaster? That would be awful beyond words. And it's not like this is impossible. My impression is that some Bioware devs think everything is fine.

1. I don't like Andromeda either OP but you need to chill. :)

2. I sincerely doubt they add any new story content whatsoever. Practically anything they might want to add would involve getting the voice actors back to record new lines and that's not happening in a million years short of a true remake.

Portmanteau

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
As you might or might know, the long desired ME trilogy remaster is semi-confirmed.

It's also semi-confirmed we shouldn't expect any meaningful gameplay improvements in ME1 or improvements to ME3's final mission. Those are terrible of course, in terms of gameplay ME1 really needed some work and ME3's ending is a taint in the franchise which removal would improve all life on this planet.

Plus the fact that "it's EA" and the huge amount of horrible remasters out there makes one fear for what the end result here will be. But that's now what in my mind right now.

Imagine, if you dare, that EA or Bioware decides that the one addition the trilogy needs is some Andromeda references. Oh my god the horror. Obviously when the trilogy was made there were no arks that travelled to another galaxy just because (in fact ME's lore doesn't allow such travel), the closest thing to that was a hint by Asari counselor where she says, after the fall of Thessia, that some plans must be put in motion to preserve civilization, but that's totally unrelated to Andromeda. So you can confortably play all three Mass Effect games and enjoy Shepard's journey without any worries.

But what if they decided to shoehorn that tragic and horrid retcon in the trilogy remaster? That would be awful beyond words. And it's not like this is impossible. My impression is that some Bioware devs think everything is fine.
I am fairly certain this is not as desired as you think it to be.

JJD

Oct 25, 2017
As you might or might know, the long desired ME trilogy remaster is semi-confirmed.

It's also semi-confirmed we shouldn't expect any meaningful gameplay improvements in ME1 or improvements to ME3's final mission. Those are terrible of course, in terms of gameplay ME1 really needed some work and ME3's ending is a taint in the franchise which removal would improve all life on this planet.

Plus the fact that "it's EA" and the huge amount of horrible remasters out there makes one fear for what the end result here will be. But that's now what in my mind right now.

Imagine, if you dare, that EA or Bioware decides that the one addition the trilogy needs is some Andromeda references. Oh my god the horror. Obviously when the trilogy was made there were no arks that travelled to another galaxy just because (in fact ME's lore doesn't allow such travel), the closest thing to that was a hint by Asari counselor where she says, after the fall of Thessia, that some plans must be put in motion to preserve civilization, but that's totally unrelated to Andromeda. So you can confortably play all three Mass Effect games and enjoy Shepard's journey without any worries.

What is the point of this thread?

You said that it's semi confirmed that there won't be any gameplay improvements. Why on earth would you even consider the possibility that EA may shoehorn any mention to a game that is for all intents and purposes widely regarded as a failure?

Do you think EA and Bioware want to remind us how much they dropped the ball with Andromeda?

And in regards to the bolded I know you are being cheeky, but if you ever want to foster a good discussion on the threads you make perhaps refrain from posting stuff like that. At least for me it makes it hard to take you seriously.

I hope this isn't considered thread bitching, but if is feel free to delete my post mods.

PAFenix

Unshakable Resolve
Nov 21, 2019
If it's been semi-confirmed that no alterations to endings or gameplay is being issued in these remakes, then they sure as hell aren't going to waste resources to shoehorn Andromeda references.

I'd be more concerned about an attempt to sell the games together as a remake, but not include any of the DLC so you have to repurchase those. The only precedent was Modern Warfare, but that's Activision. Can't come up with any EA examples so hopefully ME is safe.

OP
OP
SofNascimento

SofNascimento

cursed
Oct 28, 2017
São Paulo - Brazil
I am fairly certain this is not as desired as you think it to be.

I think it is. Of the main EA IPs, at least from the previous gen, it's definitely the most wanted one.

What is the point of this thread?

You said that it's semi confirmed that there won't be any gameplay improvements. Why on earth would you even consider the possibility that EA may shoehorn any mention to a game that is for all intents and purposes widely regarded as a failure?

Do you think EA and Bioware want to remind us how much they dropped the ball with Andromeda?

And in regards to the bolded I know you are being cheeky, but if you ever want to foster a good discussion on the threads you make perhaps refrain from posting stuff like that. At least for me it makes it hard to take you seriously.

I hope this isn't considered thread bitching, but if is feel free to delete my post mods.

Because writing a codex entry takes very little effort and resources compared to meaningful changes. And I argued in the OP, I think they might want to remind of us of Andromeda because I'm not sure Bioware think they dropped the ball.

RedFury

Oct 27, 2017
After seeing Crysis "remaster" that is honestly the least of my worry. I'd hate to see missing textures, changes in atmosphere for the worse, not all DLC included, etc.

JJD

Oct 25, 2017
I think it is. Of the main EA IPs, at least from the previous gen, it's definitely the most wanted one.

Because writing a codex entry takes very little effort and resources compared to meaningful changes. And I argued in the OP, I think they might want to remind of us of Andromeda because I'm not sure Bioware think they dropped the ball.

So your concern is that they may make a new codex entry? That's it?

Jesus OP...

Jan 4, 2018
Yo, I hadn't thought of this but that'd be dope.

Would you still be disappointed if the reference was that the kid on Earth was named Ryder?

Kal Shintar

Dec 11, 2018
Now I want them to record new dialogue so Shepard can ask every NPC about the Andromeda Initiative and every NPC will tell you how great it is, except the third game where they all wish they'd gone on the Ark's. I want them to change the ending bit with the old guy and the kid to say that Shepard was an idiot and how the AI returned from Andromeda and fixed everything. I want the last message to be personally directed to OP about how the next game is Andromeda 2

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
I'd be more mad if they messed with the gameplay of ME1 than adding in a bunch of half-baked Andromeda references.

ME1's physics are hilarious

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
I mean - the only scary thought is that it wont have multiplayer.

I remember the Bioshock Collection and the Ezio collection ditching the multiplayer, which makes me somewhat worried that the ME Remaster wont have its amazing multiplayer
I'm not expecting it to have MP. Which would be dumb because it's a cash cow.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
Also nothing in Andromeda is a retcon or as bad narratively as ME3's ending so

shem

Oct 25, 2017
I extremely doubt they will do anything to the story. It's gonna be an uprez with a locked framerate and we'll call it a day

OP
OP
SofNascimento

SofNascimento

cursed
Oct 28, 2017
São Paulo - Brazil
We're all embarrassed by it, don't worry

Yeah but don't say it out loud.

I'm pretty sure EA knows how much Andromeda was hated and we will never hear any reference to it again outside of possibly some meta jokes at its expense.

That would be reasonable. But EA is not known for being reasonable.

I'd be more mad if they messed with the gameplay of ME1 than adding in a bunch of half-baked Andromeda references.

ME1's physics are hilarious

I wonder how newcomers will react to ME1's gameplay. Back in 2007 TPS was in its infancy. Gears of War was released just the year before... but now? And under the clothing of a remaster? It will be something interesting to see.

TurdFerguson

Oct 28, 2017
Norway
I really don't think they will do anything to remind people of the disaster that was Andromeda. Bioware probably want to forget that game, too.

I did not hate the ending of ME3, especially after it was patched. But I actually do hope that they will take this oppertunity to somewhat change it in order to make more room for a proper sequel. But of course, this will never happen. :(

mbpm

Oct 25, 2017
They should make all enemies throughout the trilogy yell "ENEMIES EVERYWHERE" and "GOGOGO" every few moments like in ME1

Kasai

Jan 24, 2018
My only hope with the Remaster is that the online for 3 is in place still.

I love the whole four player co-op dynamic. Loved it in PvZ, loved it in Fortnite:StW. Keep it in, and I'll play the fuck out of the remaster.

More so than I would've already.

NeoBob688

Oct 27, 2017
I had this disturbing thought that Bioware was going to port the trilogy to the Frostbite engine

Phellps

Oct 25, 2017
Lol
They're never touching Andromeda again. The name is cursed.

Matter of fact they're also not touching the story of the trilogy for the remaster.

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Andromeda is never going to be mentioned again. It was a failed attempt to soft-reboot the series. The game garnered way too much negativity for EA and BioWare to do anything else with it. The fact that it's DLC was cancelled and the studio disbanded should be enough to tell you Andromeda is done with.

If anything, the trilogy remaster is BioWare's "Break glass in case of emergency" to earn some goodwill again.

My expectations are pretty low -- I'm guessing it will get a resolution bump and include almost all DLC. Pinnacle Station won't be included, and I have a feeling some of the smaller promo DLC also won't make the cut. I'm not expecting ME3's multiplayer either.

The biggest question mark will be the framerate. Can anyone speak to the performance of other UE3 remasters from this gen? How many went from 30fps to 60? The original Mass Effect struggled a lot on its initial release. Playing it on Xbox One X is pretty solid though.

LavaBadger

Nov 14, 2017
I'm confident the writers still around for Mass Effect have no idea what made the universe work, so anything is possible.

thepenguin55

Oct 28, 2017
What an overly dramatic thread. The remasters being botched in some capacity would be significantly worse than the VERY unlikely addition of Andromeda references. That game sucks but it's easy to live with the fact that it exists. Also, I don't love the ending to ME3 but redoing it would be a farce. Not to mention the fact that I believe redoing the ending would actually require a pretty significant rewrite of ME3 as a whole which just isn't going to happen.

OP
OP
SofNascimento

SofNascimento

cursed
Oct 28, 2017
São Paulo - Brazil
What an overly dramatic thread. The remasters being botched in some capacity would be significantly worse than the VERY unlikely addition of Andromeda references. That game sucks but it's easy to live with the fact that it exists. Also, I don't love the ending to ME3 but redoing it would be a farce. Not to mention the fact that I believe redoing the ending would actually require a pretty significant rewrite of ME3 as a whole which just isn't going to happen.

Quite so. But about rewriting good chunks of ME3, I don't agree. In a good universe what EA would do is redo the entire Priority: Earth right to the very end. I think you can drastically improve ME3 ending touching only that part of the game.

wollywinka

Feb 15, 2018
Andromeda's reception is responsible for the franchise being put on ice. Why exactly would EA even acknowledge its existence? We're straying into Roswell territory here.

The only tragedy would be the failure to include an improved version of ME3's stellar nultiplayer In the release.

Oct 28, 2017
While I agree that Mass Effect 1's gameplay could use an overhaul, we are talking about EA. I'm sure they'd just find a way to make it worse.

May 17, 2018
The entire Mass Effect community needs to go to Group Therapy over the ending of Mass Effect 3.

An Andromeda reference slide into Mass Effect 2 (i think that's when the Andomeda mission took place) would be very satisfying. Also Andromeda is a solid 7 out of 10 game. Give it 6, give it a 8. whatever it's a good game to me.

Where is this Semi-Confirmed talk coming from OP? I honestly want to see links.

Oct 27, 2017
I hadn't thought of this, OP, and now a feeling of existential dread has taken over my psyche.

What if they do reference Andromeda in the as-of-yet-not-announced Mass Effect Trilogy Remaster Remake Enhanced HD Collection? One can only shiver at the thought.

Dandy

Oct 25, 2017
I hope they make a ton of Andromeda references. Add missions with Alec and Ellen Ryder. Make a SAM prototype show up. Add a crashed kett ship on a planet.

Last edited:

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Is story even a reason to hate Andromeda? Like I know the game fudged up but "they sent ships into space" doesn't strike me as something to dread.

Inyourprime

Oct 25, 2017
Is story even a reason to hate Andromeda? Like I know the game fudged up but "they sent ships into space" doesn't strike me as something to dread.

The mere existence of Andromeda is what people don't like about it. I used to feel the same way about Fallout 3.

And I agree... even if they did reference Andromeda in the trilogy, which is doubtful but whatever, I think it fits the lore. The idea of a big ship being able to travel to another universe doesn't sound far-fetched no matter how you look at it.

Rover_

Jun 2, 2020
you guys set yourselves up for disappointment. every ME thread we discuss this and always get a laugh from Shinobi.

this will be a very basic remaster and we all will buy it day one, at full price with no DLC included LOL.

Asbsand

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Denmark
It's also semi-confirmed we shouldn't expect any meaningful gameplay improvements in ME1 or improvements to ME3's final mission.
It's not semi-confirmed and the original leaker of the fact that there is a remaster said it was laughably off-base.

It's going to be a remaster in the model of Burnout Remastered, and I doubt it's going to be developed by BioWare themselves. You're gonna get a port that runs in 1080p on PS4 and XB1 and it's going to have higher-res textures, and more bugs than the original. Also, given remaster incompetences seen before, I would not be surprised if this genuinely easy-to-run-at-60-fps series will be ported at 30fps due to bad optimization. On pc my 2011 laptop which was about half as good as the PS4 would run the games at 60fps when PS3 was running them at 23fps average. It's night and day. If they don't get them to run 60fps on PS4 that's the sign that it'll be a bad remaster.

I hope it's good though, but I'm much more worried about the actual port job than the content they're most likely going not to touch.

The good news is that in a year or two we will get these games on Switch, just like Burnout, and that's hype!
I was about to say "yeah but Andromeda would be like a bunch of people agreeing to go to Mars with Elon Musk" and then I realized thousands of people would probably sign up for that
But then writing this story about Elon Musk's Ark, you characterize all of them as noble and adventure-seeking good people. Now it feels wrong.

OP
OP
SofNascimento

SofNascimento

cursed
Oct 28, 2017
São Paulo - Brazil
It's not semi-confirmed and the original leaker of the fact that there is a remaster said it was laughably off-base.

It's going to be a remaster in the model of Burnout Remastered, and I doubt it's going to be developed by BioWare themselves. You're gonna get a port that runs in 1080p on PS4 and XB1 and it's going to have higher-res textures, and more bugs than the original. Also, given remaster incompetences seen before, I would not be surprised if this genuinely easy-to-run-at-60-fps series will be ported at 30fps due to bad optimization. On pc my 2011 laptop which was about half as good as the PS4 would run the games at 60fps when PS3 was running them at 23fps average. It's night and day. If they don't get them to run 60fps on PS4 that's the sign that it'll be a bad remaster.

I hope it's good though, but I'm much more worried about the actual port job than the content they're most likely going not to touch.

What is off-base? I said we shouldn't expect anything meaningful.

Fizie

Jan 21, 2018
In a way I hope this is a lazy remaster i.e. just a graphics upgrade and nothing else touched please thanks.