• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Ser_Kafka

Mar 23, 2020
***OK so I'm not going to say what exactly got spoiled, though I'm sure many of you can guess what it is. And it's not that I'm angry that that's what happened in the story. Neither do I want to discuss anything else that happened in the story. Please keep this spoiler free.***

But I am incredibly bummed. I went six years without getting Part One spoiled, and another two to three years of avoiding any Part Two news.

And then I saw this tweet, and now I feel really disheartened. I had the same thing happen with The Rise of Skywalker last year, and I still went to watch the film and enjoyed it, but it wasn't the same without the 'real-time' discovery of finding things out in your own time. I'm incredibly salty that someone has taken that away from me.

Maybe the title of this thread is a bit dramatic, but it's my immediate feeling in the aftermath. I was going to pick it up tomorrow or Saturday, but now I'm in no rush. The excitement has been taken away from me.

People who had this game spoiled, without saying anything about the story, please talk some sense into me! I know that deep down, once I have the game in the console, headphones on, controller in hand, and curtains drawn, the experience of playing the game is still going to be incredible. I just can't get over this hump atm.

Arf.

New Donker

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Just say the spoiler and we can tell you if it's a big deal

if it's what I'm thinking, it happens in the first hour of the game.

rude

Oct 25, 2017
It literally happens like an hour and a half or less in. The game is so much more than that event.

Simply the GOTG and I'm not even done yet.

MrCibb

Dec 12, 2018
UK
If it's the thing I think it is, all I can say is it happens early in the game and then the rest of the ~25 hours adds so much context and layers and all that other stuff. You really need to play it to understand but I don't think it'll hamper your enjoyment at all.

Heromanz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Huh
that is dumb, the game is like 40 hours and you get worked over that small thing

UberTag

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Kitchener, ON
I got spoiled in the Angry Joe controversy thread.

I wasn't THAT broken up about it given that I'd logically reached that conclusion myself in the build to this game's release but I still would have enjoyed experiencing it first-hand through gameplay.

Honestly, I don't understand why ANYONE would drop the specifics of spoilers of recent titles in unrelated threads. It's inexplicable to me but it's an inevitable part of this online community I'm afraid.

Spork4000

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
If it's what I think, then play the game. I'm only half way through, but the game is so much more than a couple plot twists cherry picked to feed the internet rage machine.

piratethingy

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
It's like not watching a new spider man movie because you had the identity of the villain spoiled

who cares

KOfLegend

Jun 17, 2019
If it's the spoiler, then it's really not that big of a deal. It happens very, very early on.

Frostinferno

Oct 25, 2017
If it makes you feel better it happens like two hours into the game. ND plays that card right off the bat and then the actual story of the game begins.

Aerial51

Apr 24, 2020
Being spoiled kinda sucks sure, but fundamently Stories are not about surprising Events because Writers for Decades take Inspiration from Works that were published before they were even born. There is a limited Template of Types of Stories that exist and nothing is comepletely new. What is important are Themes and Execution and a Spoiler does not give you those things.

ron_bato

Oct 25, 2017
I had the game spoiled twice. One of them was a correct spoiler, the other was fake. They contradicted each other so i tricked myself into thinking both were made up. Both were devastatingly important details though.

Went in thinking they're probably end game spoilers, but it wasnt the case. Context matters. Having that one important thing spoiled for me didnt alter the impact of the moment because of context. Ended up not impacting my enjoyment of the game.

Just power through. You'll be fine.

PapaJustify

Nov 3, 2017
Germany
What I find annoying is that the game is barely out for a week but everybody is discussing the characters specifically and other stuff on Twitter. I managed to go in mostly spoiler-free despite the leak. But now I feel like the internet is a mine field.

That said, the game is an experience not to be missed OP. I have never before played a game that was so intense and kept me on the edge of my seat. Play on Hard, play with Headphones on and you'll be in for a treat, OP.

Wozman23

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Pico Rivera, CA
I had a suspicion that someone spoiled me in a similar fashion, but I had to play it to find out. And it's well worth it regardless due to countless other amazing spoiler moments. That tiny bit that was taken away from me paled in comparison to the entire experience.

What I find annoying is that the game is barely out for a week but everybody is discussing the characters specifically and other stuff on Twitter. I managed to go in mostly spoiler-free despite the leak. But now I feel like the internet is a mine field.

I feel like that's just par for the course these days. I haven't watched a Star Wars movie or show in years, but I could basically tell you what happened like 3 days after each released. I feel like soon I'll need to move to the woods and throw my phone in a lake if I want to live spoiler free.

Ryo Hazuki

Oct 25, 2017
You need to spoiler tag what you read so we can say if it's important.

When the leaks appeared online I muted every word related to the game on Twitter because I didn't want to get spoiled. I even muted key characters like "Ellie", "Joel" because I knew fuckers would spoil shit in random comments like this. Luckily I didn't get spoiled on anything.

Aldro

Jun 5, 2020
Sweden
I had one thing spoiled (and it was something I could have guessed) but it was rather insignificant compared to the actual game. You need to play it, the plot alone does not do this game any justice.

Sasaud

Oct 28, 2017
I got spoiled on something major and it might be what u saw but i played the game and while it still hurt that i was robbed of that moment the game is so much more than that, simply a masterpiece not only in it's story but also the whole experience from the gameplay to the visuals and the amount of content, an amazing game that I won't be forgetting anytime soon.

dunkzilla

alt account
Banned
Dec 13, 2018
The spoilers mean nothing in the context of the game. Everything is fairly well spelled out before they happen. The main thing is the context that surrounds them.

Like most spoilers, they sound worse written down than actually experienced.

Coolsambob

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, having finished it last night I don't think a single spoiler would ruin the story at all. I would keep going with it.

Scruffy8642

Jan 24, 2020
Look I haven't played it myself, but If you've played the first game you'd know it's less about the story being interesting (it's really not) and more the little character interactions that make the game and how it makes you feel. I imagine the second game is similar in the sense that knowing one or two big events really doesn't have a big effect on how the game's going to impact you. It's a long game with presumably many intimate moments if it's anything like the first. Knowing spoilers is unlikely to ruin any of those. The first TLOU was a game about the experience, not about the plot, and the 2nd looks to be the same based on what people have said.

Hope

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
It's worth it for the gameplay and graphics alone even if you would enjoy the story slightly less.

J75

Sep 29, 2018
In the words of Neil himself when it came to spoiler leaks pre-launch.

neil.2020-05-0421_43_qwjjh.gif

Deleted member 2595

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The game is 30 hours of dealing with the fallout of various events, from the first game and Act 1 of this game.

Learning of one event really doesn't tell you what the story is.

The actual gameplay is truly phenomenal and it's an incredible adventure through an amazing world. The worldbuilding alone is worth the price of entry. So is the combat. Etc. Etc.

It's still totally worth playing.

toad02

Banned
Oct 10, 2018
I read the same spoiler, played and enjoyed it.
Actually I could see that coming, indeed, it is just the beginning of a very long game.
Trust me, the biggest reveal is not even that. Just play it.

HeRinger

Oct 28, 2017
It's a natural reaction given you are still upset about being spoiled, but you eventually are going to play and enjoy the game.

C.Mongler

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Washington, DC
I chose to read the entire leaked plot overview of my own volition, and the game is still surprising me and providing a lot of great moments. There's a lot more to it than what folks have tossed out in Tweets just to ruffle feathers.

Like everyone's saying, if it's THAT thing, it happens very early into the game. It's still worth playing IMO.

ArmGunar

PlayStatistician
Oct 30, 2017
I read spoilers a while back and was super disappointed, I didn't want to buy the game anymore
State of Play got me hyped because of gameplay so I bought the game

And despite reading spoilers, I liked the story and enjoyed the gameplay a lot so don't worry

Wariobenotware

Alt Account
Banned
Apr 2, 2020
I am continually amazed by people who will skip an entire game just because of spoilers.

The best part of TLOU2 is the gameplay which is so far above the original game that it isn't even funny. Even if the entire story was spoiled for me, i would still play and enjoy it because of how it plays. It is Naughty Dogs best game.

OP
OP
Ser_Kafka

Ser_Kafka

Mar 23, 2020
Thanks all for putting it into context for me.

I'll admit that I was a bit dramatic, but without knowing anything else about the game it was difficult to place the spoiler's significance.

Bennibop

Oct 30, 2017
The spoilers that leaked lack context with out playing the rest of the game to understand how the events unfolded. So don't worry.

Sky87

Oct 27, 2017
If it's the spoiler, then it's really not that big of a deal. It happens very, very early on.
Not only that, you should have expected it to happen because of the trailers and footage they released before the game came out.

Sure, it was impactful and sudden when it happened, but when you think about it, it was always going to happen. It was the whole premise of the game.
They should even have gone a step further and
forced the player to do the deed
Would have been even more impactful.

All in all based on what happened at the end of the first game, i felt this was appropriate and somewhat even deserved, minus the savagery of it.

Bushido

Senior Game Designer
Verified
Feb 6, 2018
Had the same thing, when some asshole posted just 3 words in the Youtube chat at (I think it was) the Tony Hawk's Remastered reveal. I immediately knew what it was about and it pissed me off to no end, as I had successfully avoided all the latest trailers and info dumps. However, I'm half-way through the game now and it's definitely one of the GOATs, plus the moment that got spoiled...phew, can't say it didn't make an impression anymore. Play it.

DaveB

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Hampshire, USA
I feel like the folks who were angry about what was revealed in the leaks went out of their way to blurt out spoilers any chance they got on social media. Because Facebook automatically displays a comment, I saw one of the bigger story points blurted out when I was just browsing my feed.

Internet gonna Internet, I guess.

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017
Social media was a mistake. My best friend had one of the bigger moments of The Force Awakens ruined for him on Facebook before we saw it on opening night. Thankfully, he kept it to himself until after leaving the theater.

Also, as the above gif states: It's a video game. So go play it.

I am continually amazed by people who will skip an entire game just because of spoilers.

The best part of TLOU2 is the gameplay which is so far above the original game that it isn't even funny. Even if the entire story was spoiled for me, i would still play and enjoy it because of how it plays. It is Naughty Dogs best game.

I always go out of my way to avoid seeing, and giving spoilers (when I can help it, even if the content is years old), and while the gameplay is vastly improved over the original, spoilers can still take the wind out of a lot of the more impactful moments.

Last edited:
Dec 25, 2018
Don't have any interest in TLOU games but that sucks, had a similar experience where one of the big moments towards the end of Force Awakens was spoiled in the comments section of a news story completely unrelated to Star Wars, literally 5 minutes before leaving the house to see the film... still enjoyed it (and honestly since it was just what happened and not the how and why that got spoiled, it built a bit of suspense over when and how it would take place).

People are entitled to not like how a story rolls out but they don't have to be a dick about it and go on a crusade blurting spoilers wherever they can because they feel slighted by it.

Secretofmateria

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Not playing the game because you got spoiled is beyond silly. Its basically saying the only thing worthwhile for you was the surprise factor. I understand being bummed, but writing off an entire piece of media because you cant be surprised is dumb

Kemono

▲ Legend ▲
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Please experience the game.

This spoiler is not that big imo. Sure it sucks but it happens so early and was kinda a "no duh" moment but the game is such a masterpiece. Maybe you won't like some parts of it but the gameplay alone is such a marvel.

One of the best games i've ever played. Don't miss this chance.

And be on alert for more spoilers. Don't read comments until you're done with the game.

Arkai

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
For what it's worth OP, my partner told me a spoiler because she saw something in Facebook and for whatever reason assumed I knew it too despite me being pretty vocal I knew nothing while we were replaying the first game last weekend.

Needless to say I lost all desire to continue playing due to the shock and emotions of being told. It got easier and I started to want to go through the journey the game gives you as time has went on.

Now I don't know if it's the same thing as you, but as people have mentioned something seems to happen early in the game so I'm guessing for us it's that at least. Which I hope is the case as it gets it out the way so we can continue not knowing the ending and journey.

Leo

Oct 27, 2017
Happened to me too. I was on Instagram browsing the page of a congressman I support, and he was exposing a chain of racist comments on twitter, and one of the racist shithead's username was a HUGE endgame spoiler for the TLOU2 in capital letters.

That definitely isn't the one that happens one hour into the game. I am so pissed.

Firmus_Anguis

Oct 30, 2017
Thanks all for putting it into context for me.

I'll admit that I was a bit dramatic, but without knowing anything else about the game it was difficult to place the spoiler's significance.
The people that leaked it and the people that twisted the leaks and spread false information, clearly had an agenda.

It was to evoke the types of feelings you were feeling when you started this thread - To not give the game and ND, as one of the Worlds best developers, the benefit of the doubt. Taken out of context, anything can sound shitty. Play the game - Only after can you truly judge it.

Oct 25, 2017
I had something about the back half of the game spoiled for me yesterday in the OT - mainly from meta talk about spoiler tags, which were pretty easy to piece together.

I felt bummed and it kind of dampened my enjoyment of the game last night. It's always deflating when you're spoiled on something. But it passes - I remember being annoyed on the old place a bunch of times when people would drop coy hints that anyone could piece together, but ending up loving the games anyway. I've no doubt I'll be back to adoring TLoU2 tonight.