• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mukrab

Apr 19, 2020
It's one thing to like Dragon Ball when everyone watched it on TV when they were younger, but it's definitely a different story if you still watch it. In the best case people will accept watching one of the new movies for "nostalgia", but they don't consider it to be as acceptable as a current active interest of an adult a lot of times.
Or at least that's how it is in my country, where I would argue DBZ was even more popular than in the US.
I dont think there is much of a stigma. Even in other places. I live in switzerland and sometimes listen to german rap. Even they think it's cool to rap about dragon ball stuff. And we all know rappers are usually the first to label something like anime as lame. And they do actually. I can remember bars where they say it as an insult. But in the next song they have dragon ball bars. It's not a single rapper doing it either. I've heard multiple. I even know one that has an album called genkidama, which is what the spirit bomb is called in our dubs.

Deleted member 4461

User Requested Account Deletion
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This. The Era bubble is strong on this one.

Eh. Ghibli movies are mentioned in collegiate film courses at this point. I wouldn't call it an ERA bubble in the sense that they are culturally relevant

The only bubble here is really about whether or not the average person is capable of recognizing the value of movies in the same way a critic would. And the answer is "no."

Status
Not open for further replies.