• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Zekes

Oct 25, 2017
PLEASE show us pics.
I don't have any pics of me in it, but this is the jacket:

levis-Blues-X-Pokemon-Pikachu-Back-Print-Vintage-Fit-Denim-Trucker-Jacket.jpeg

NaDannMaGoGo

Oct 25, 2017
OP you dared to be show a bit of emotional vulnerabilty to Internet dwellers who never share their personal life or their faults ever. Prepare to die. /s

Yeah, it happens occasionally here and this is certainly another one of those threads where some people just love to be overly hostile to the OP.

A good reminder as to why I shouldn't ever make a thread about my more personal issues here. You just don't know what kind of jackass might be on backfire-duty at the time.

Zombine

Oct 25, 2017
Idk man dude sounds kinda wack and not what you're looking for. Don't let other people make you feel bad about what you enjoy.

Also, it's not like you're watching Night Shift Nurses. You like Japanese Disney. That's pretty normal—as is liking most mainstream Seinen/Shonen in 2022. I'd say this kid is actually an outlier.

Arcus Felis

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 26, 2017
I'm more shocked by the blatant toxicity/trolling from some members in this very thread rather than what you experienced with that guy to be honest.

Truly Gargantuan

Still doesn't have a tag :'(
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I disagree, Disney's distribution and Spirited Away's Oscar win helped it get recognized considerably. People might not know every film but they know the likes of Spirited Away and Totoro.
To be fair to OPs "just a friend" (let's be honest, OP would have fucked if given to chance), Spirited Away came out in 2001. This 20-something would have been single digits age at that time. It's very possible he doesn't know a single thing about Ghibli.

I am also the type of person that lets potential romantic partners know up front that I'm a nerd. Hiding it is silly imo. If someone decides to X me off the list for it then I see it as a good thing. I see it as a weeding out process. I decided a long time ago that I wasn't going to hide or apologize who I am and the things I like because I got bullied for it too in HS. So far the results have been great.

Omegasquash

Oct 31, 2017
No, I definitely get the impression the 21 year-old was being dumb and condescending. Could have been trying to make a playful jab, who knows, but at least projected a childish conception of maturity. The OP being turned off by that and deciding he has no time for the 21 year-old anymore makes sense.

I can't relate to the impulse to go off in the way the OP has in this thread, though. Not in response to a light bit of condescension over Ghibli movies from a 21 year-old. Fair enough if the OP just has a more "smarmy" personality than I do. :P

For sure...everyone comes into threads (and clearly sometimes makes them) looking through the glasses of their experiences and current mood. OP is feeling the way they're feeling, and so are we all. I've definitely learned the "don't make threads while upset" lesson before, lol.

Just feels like jumping on someone (not saying you are) comes off to me as opportunistic. Obviously calling someone out isn't the same thing and I don't want to conflate the two, but still.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
It's always amusing to see videogame nerds judging other for liking anime lol

How do you think the conversation would go if OP said "I have a ResetEra account and visit it daily, a videogame forum, do you know Kojima may show up in a conference today?"

Last edited:

Rampage

Oct 27, 2017
Metro Detriot
I get why OP was taken aback. I'd have just blocked them though.

If the 21 year old was from the USA, Japan or Europe, I would would side with the OP.

But the 21 year old is from Rwanda. I personal as a adult would not assume everyone in the world consumes the same media as me nor hold it to the same cultural standards of what is "adult". The 31 year old OP could of had a cultural exchange- ask well what do you watch? They could have talked about the differences in entertainment. I bet the 21 year old has watched a ton of movies the OP has never heard of.

But no, the adult got all upset his anime was put down. Sorry, it just sound childish that a western doesn't understand the world does not revolve around anime.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Nothing Loud

Nothing Loud

Literally Cinderella
Oct 25, 2017
I'm more shocked by the blatant toxicity/trolling from some members in this very thread by what you experienced with that guy to be honest.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ I've noticed a few things about Era

1. Negative news threads reach dozens of pages. Era loves doomposting about the world and the USA.
2. Anecdote/silly threads love a good OP/thread backfire and many posters will blatantly ignore the thread prompt to scrutinize the OP's intentions, personality, life, decisions, etc in a toxic/trolling fashion. Threads will reach several pages then often get locked when it gets out of hand.
3. Good ideas/thought-provoking essay threads/helpful resource threads fall off the first page within an hour and rarely come back.
4. Fun harmless thread ideas seem to be the least at risk of toxicity but occasionally they devolve and they're rare to begin with and don't last very long usually.

It paints a picture about how negative and reactive Era is. The Era member I had dinner with on Thursday lurks only because they're scared of posting because of all of you, lol.

Stath

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Mar 4, 2022
yeah if this is your response he dodged a bullet

sorry but this is a wildly over the top overreaction lmao. yes people don't like anime. no many people don't take it seriously. get over it.

also 31 going for a 21 year old, ummmm...

What a shitty fucking response.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
If the 21 year old was from the USA, Japan or Europe, I would would side with the OP.

But the 21 year old is from Rwanda. I personal as a adult would not assume everyone in the world consumes the same media as me nor hold it to the same cultural standards of what is "adult". The 31 year old OP could of had a cultural exchange- ask well what do you watch? They could have talked about the differences in entertainment. I bet the 21 year old has watched a shit ton of movies the OP has never heard of.

But no, the adult got all upset his anime was put down. Sorry, it just sound childish that a western doesn't understand the world does not revolve around anime.

He didn't said "I don't know these movies", he called OP childish for liking something. I'm not from these countries and that still would be extremely rude to say.

OP
OP
Nothing Loud

Nothing Loud

Literally Cinderella
Oct 25, 2017
He didn't said "I don't know these movies", he called OP childish for liking something. I'm not from these countries and that still would be extremely rude to say.

Exactly. You can be unfamiliar with something and still be polite. His response signaled to me he doesn't have the manners to be worth my time, regardless of his opinion of anime

Bing147

Jun 13, 2018
So Ghibli is objectively speaking not mainstream in the US. That's news too many posters here :P

The box office thing is a bit of a misnomer. The popularity of Spirited Away is really what really gave Ghibli a foothold in the west, and that didn't happen until after its Oscar win, when it was already on DVD and not in theaters. Before that there were plenty watching something like Mononoke, but it was very much still in the hands of anime fans.

The Ghibli films to receive US release since then? Howl's Moving Castle, Tales From Earthsea, Ponyo, Arrietty, From Up on Poppy Hill, The Wind Rises, The Tale of the Princess Kaguya, and When Marnie Was There. Only 3 from Miyazaki and several like Kaguya and Wind Rises that are quite different even for Ghibli films. Howl is the only one that I think would surprise anyone that it wasn't a hit in theaters frankly, and the initial reception to it was VERY mixed.

Since then however, a fair number of Ghibli's films have become very popular in the mainstream via home release. Totoro and Spirited Away are probably the two biggest, though Princess Mononoke isn't too far behind them.

I do think there's a fair point though to saying a fair number of people would know the movies without necessarily recognizing the name Miyazaki or Ghibli, though both Miyazaki and Ghibli are far more mainstream in the west than any other director of anime or anime studio.

orochi91

Oct 26, 2017
Canada
Man, this is kinda wild.

I'm 31 as well, but growing up here in the GTA in Canada everyone and probably their mothers knows or watches anime to some extent these days.

In fact, people who don't watch it are the odd ones to me now, loooool

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
These kind of threads going past 3 pages is always cuz of some bullshit, Era can be so mean sometimes

Kurita

Oct 26, 2017
La France
It's always amusing to see videogame nerds judging other for liking anime lol

How do you think the conversation would go if OP said "I have a ResetEra account and visit it daily, a videogame forum, do you know Kojima may show up in a conference today?"
Seriously. Grown adults arguing over video game sales, review scores and shit thinking they're above *gasp* anime or whatever lol

Truly Gargantuan

Still doesn't have a tag :'(
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

1. Negative news threads reach dozens of pages. Era loves doomposting about the world and the USA.
2. Anecdote/silly threads love a good OP/thread backfire and many posters will blatantly ignore the thread prompt to scrutinize the OP's intentions, personality, life, decisions, etc in a toxic/trolling fashion. Threads will reach several pages then often get locked when it gets out of hand.
3. Good ideas/thought-provoking essay threads/helpful resource threads fall off the first page within an hour and rarely come back.
4. Fun harmless thread ideas seem to be the least at risk of toxicity but occasionally they devolve and they're rare to begin with and don't last very long usually.

It paints a picture about how negative and reactive Era is. The Era member I had dinner with on Thursday lurks only because they're scared of posting because of all of you, lol.
Let 'em know. Remember when this place first started and it was all sunshine and flowers and happy feelings? That didn't last long at all before the GAF style snark and pomp took over again.
I blame Twitter honestly. It made quick snap backs and dunks the norm. Now it's almost like no one knows how to talk normally or see situations with a nuanced eye.

Arcus Felis

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 26, 2017

Kinda reached the same conclusion as you. I like to keep myself informed of video game news through these forums, and some EtcetEra threads are genuinely interesting, but considering how some posters react and the overall negativity (and I'm no hypocrite, I know I participated in that a couple of times), I think I'll slowly stop coming here.

Omegasquash

Oct 31, 2017

It's important to acknowledge the toxicity that takes place...there are certain posters that are really good at exactly what you're talking about, and sometimes they eventually dig their own hole. I always hesitate to talk too poorly of it since it is one of the few forums I've seen that recognizes and enforces that "talking politics" doesn't mean "put trans rights on the table for discussion" or that "no racism" includes "just asking questions about these dAtA PoInTs about crime."

Re: the bolded...guilty as charged, but then again can you blame us? I'd like to see more discussion about solutions and what we can do right now, but I am exactly as responsible for that as anyone else (I just have no idea where to start).

Stath

Mar 4, 2022

This. In addition, one of the OP's later posts clarifies that the dude seemingly ghosted him after. He sounds like a real jerk.

swimming

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
lol some of the takes in here are just as puzzling as grindr idiots reaction

fuck them. like what you like and no need to hide aspects of yourself for strangers.

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

It's as simple as that. I could understand if they were friends and they'd start making jabs at each other but I don't think that's the case. It was a smart ass thing to say, especially when you're getting to know somebody. Starting to think posters here just don't know how to interact with people irl and think you can say slick shit all day like we do on Era lol.

Royalan

I can say DEI; you can't.
Oct 24, 2017

But the 21 year old is from Rwanda. I personal as a adult would not assume everyone in the world consumes the same media as me nor hold it to the same cultural standards of what is "adult". The 31 year old OP could of had a cultural exchange- ask well what do you watch? They could have talked about the differences in entertainment. I bet the 21 year old has watched a shit ton of movies the OP has never heard of.

Well...

1) Lets watch our language here. There is no "the adult" in this situation. They're both adults. Period. I'm in my 30s and I wouldn't even blink in the direction of a 20s something at this point, but there's an implication being pushed by some posts in here that's making me more uncomfortable than anything in the OP.

2) I was going to say this earlier, but it's strange to me that people aren't seeing how "But, OP, he's from Rwanda!" is kind of patronizing? Truth is we don't know this person, or what his cultural knowledge is. That didn't stop him from insulting OP instead of just saying they don't watch anime.

Soda

Oct 26, 2017
Dunedin, New Zealand
That guy sounds like a jerk, frankly.

However, anime is definitely a rung or two lower on the "acceptable media" list. It's not nearly as accepted as, say, super hero movies have become over the last decade.

Stath

Mar 4, 2022
Personal, both the OP and the 21 year old come of as rude to each other. I just expect more maturity for a 31 year old with all of his education, over a 21 year old.

Oh please. They're both adults, and only one of these people suddenly demeaned the other and left them hanging.

lorddarkflare

Oct 25, 2017
I definitely think this is something you could have moved past if you were into him. Clearly, you were not.

I would have been left cold by someone making fun of something that I liked too. Not sure why people are giving you shit for pulling the ripcord off a low-states interaction.

And some people make jokes like that because they don't realize that a lot of people don't take too kindly to having their hobbies made fun of.

NinjaMuffin

Oct 27, 2017

Yep, this is why I mostly just lurk on here.

Leafshield

Nov 22, 2019

They were rude, they likely thought it was a throwaway bit of mockery that your conversation could take after several exchanges. They were wrong and likely know why you've blocked them.

However, you're a thirty-something that is still fuming, several days later, because of one line from a 21-year-old about thinking a lauded bunch of anime films was childish. Why does it bother you so much that you need the affirmation from a board of strangers about how wrong this person is? There's tons of my hobbies that have been mocked for this, that or the other, no need to give a shit about what someone who's barely out of their teens thinks about stuff I've been enjoying for longer than they've been alive. Let it go etc.

Oct 27, 2017
You both embarrassed yourselves and I don't even like anime. You're older though, you can't let this shit bother you, it'll eat you up

Nerokis

Oct 25, 2017
For sure...everyone comes into threads (and clearly sometimes makes them) looking through the glasses of their experiences and current mood. OP is feeling the way they're feeling, and so are we all. I've definitely learned the "don't make threads while upset" lesson before, lol.

Just feels like jumping on someone (not saying you are) comes off to me as opportunistic. Obviously calling someone out isn't the same thing and I don't want to conflate the two, but still.

For sure.

My apologies, Nothing Loud, for contributing to the bad vibes.

Nov 1, 2017
Well, he's right you should have been doing something more mature like get irrationally angry because the local sports team didn't win that match you had no stakes in anyway and go lengthy tirades explaining how these people you don't know and have no connection to except they supposedly represent your area despite most of them not being from anywhere near there all suck and need your guidance as an expert that's never even tried to play the sport before.

Or indeed, have an irrational hate boner for all things anime despite the closest you've ever come to actually seeing some are twitter memes posted by other irrational anime haters.

You know, adult mature things.

NaDannMaGoGo

Oct 25, 2017
They were rude, they likely thought it was a throwaway bit of mockery that your conversation could take after several exchanges. They were wrong and likely know why you've blocked them.

However, you're a thirty-something that is still fuming, several days later, because of one line from a 21-year-old about thinking a lauded bunch of anime films was childish. Why does it bother you so much that you need the affirmation from a board of strangers about how wrong this person is? There's tons of my hobbies that have been mocked for this, that or the other, no need to give a shit about what someone who's barely out of their teens thinks about stuff I've been enjoying for longer than they've been alive. Let it go etc.

Why does he have to be fuming? Why can't it be some friendly rambling/ranting about a strange thing?

I can't stand it when people simply claim that another person is basically hysterical and needs to calm down.

Stath

Mar 4, 2022

Did you miss the part where the person the OP was chatting with ignored them after being asked to clarify? You are making a ton of assumptions and being unreasonably charitable to the jackass in this situation.

Some of you must really have your heads in the sand to come into a venting thread (because god forbid somebody shares something personal that bothered them) and respond with "don't be like this", "get over it", "you're both wrong", or even just "you're wrong". It's like some of you have the emotional understanding of ants.

Leafshield

Nov 22, 2019
Why does he have to be fuming? Why can't it be some friendly rambling/ranting about a strange thing?
I can't stand it when people simply claim that another person is basically hysterical and needs to calm down.
Do people in 2022 really still look down on others for liking "anime movies" let alone fucking award winning Miyazaki movies? The nerve of this kid condescending me. Like you're not impressive Mr Princeton. Everyone in this city is a software engineer at big tech and to come after me at 21 years old when I'm a rising 4th year phd student in computational biology and tell me you can't enjoy "anime movies" because you have to be an adult. I just can't lmfao. Blocked him on everything.

Does anyone still harass or shame you for liking nerdy things? I'm 31 and I'm like dumbfounded that a college kid had the ego and nerve to say that to me. I hope I wasn't that kind of trash when I was 21.

Nothing hysterical here at all. I don't think it's unreasonable to say 'they were rude, but it was mild and about something inconsequential, and you're a 30-something, let it go'.

McScroggz

The Fallen
Jan 11, 2018
He sounds very immature, so don't worry about it.

As for the whole anime thing yeah plenty of people still think of it as kiddy or perverse. They are just ignorant. If you actually want a Ghibli movie you would feel pretty embarrassed to call it childish or anything like that…and who cares even if it is I still love watching Disney, Pixar, Dreamworks, etc.

Davidion

Charitable King
Oct 27, 2017
21 year old with no taste showing off how he has no taste. "Be an adult", lol

*Shrug* free country, but it is what it is

Status
Not open for further replies.