• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

The Omega Man

Oct 25, 2017
If you step out of the bubble you'll realize that anime despite being more mainstream than ever it is still pretty unknown and foreign for the vast majority of people, most adults are just not Interested in animation, they call anime "Chinese cartoons" and think they are silly and made only for kids.

OP
OP
Nothing Loud

Nothing Loud

Literally Cinderella
Oct 25, 2017
Guessing from your reaction to this there is a pretty high change that he actually is more adult than you! :D Like...what is it with your obsession with mentioning your age difference, as if that somehow proves that he is a childish loser and you are this elder statesman? What is this? You are 30, not 75 :D

And all of this because he said "I have to be the adult lol". My goodness.

Because it's called pointing out an irony (with the age). That someone thinks they're more adult than me for a movie, do I really have to spell things out for you

Asklepios

Oct 28, 2017
United Kingdom
This is the like the mildest, bad online-dating story I have ever heard. So a zoomer who doesn't like Miyazaki said it's not "adult" enough. That's like his opinion about anime. Big deal?

I mean I love Miyazaki but think shonen anime is childish for most part and wouldn't be offended if another person thought totoro had no adult appeal.

Lunchbox

ƃuoɹʍ ʇᴉ ƃuᴉop ǝɹ,noʎ 'ʇɥƃᴉɹ sᴉɥʇ pɐǝɹ noʎ ɟI
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Rip City
You really shouldn't be this bothered by it, people suck. Move on.

Soriku

Nov 12, 2017
I mean…it's anime. I like pro wrestling, but I know not to bring it up at parties.

This was in a DM not some party though? If you're too worried about bringing up your interests in a DM, that says more about you. Lots of people watch anime, despite those who might make fun of it.

He's barrow minded, but this seems pompous:
Like you're not impressive Mr Princeton. Everyone in this city is a software engineer at big tech and to come after me at 21 years old when I'm a rising 4th year phd student in computational biology and tell me you can't enjoy "anime movies" because you have to be an adult. I just can't lmfao. Blocked him on everything

I've noticed the OP likes to flaunt his educational credentials often when I read his posts. No offense OP.

Charizard

Oct 25, 2017
Of all the Ghibli films to say that kind of thing about it just had to be fucking Princess Mononoke lmao

Chumunga64

Jun 22, 2018
seems a bit benign to make a thread about

you blocked him on everything???? lmaoooo

I think Princeton dude was right when he said he was going to talk to adults

OP
OP
Nothing Loud

Nothing Loud

Literally Cinderella
Oct 25, 2017
Right...sounds like you took this a bit personal lol.

I just don't need to waste my time charity texting with college kids who are gonna condescend me, that's not respecting myself or my time. It's one thing if you're polite, it's another if you're trash that is rude to people.

QisTopTier

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
If your mindset jumps instantly into calling someone younger than you a kid as soon as you are mad, perhaps idk not aim towards fucking said kids.

In all seriousness 10 years apart with the younger being close to the teen ages still are gonna start having tons of social habit, behavior, and general mind set differences. People in their 30's tend to start mellowing out where for at least half of most peoples 20's they are still not far off from how they were as highschool kids

OP
OP
Nothing Loud

Nothing Loud

Literally Cinderella
Oct 25, 2017
seems a bit benign to make a thread about

you blocked him on everything???? lmaoooo

People make threads here about all kind of dumb and negative shit lol it's the weekend and people post their anecdotes all the time don't even try to gatekeep OT. I have posted seriously helpful threads like the pro-trans action thread and the free mental health resources thread and those disappear off the first page and get completely forgotten so let's not go there

ElectricBlanketFire

What year is this?
Oct 25, 2017
I just don't need to waste my time charity texting with college kids who are gonna condescend me, that's not respecting myself or my time. It's one thing if you're polite, it's another if you're trash that is rude to people.
So you blocked him for making a mild joke about anime because he thought he was better than you but you keep bringing up the fact that he's just some dumb college kid?

nonoriri

Apr 30, 2020
Like I said I wasn't hitting on him, this guy wanted friends in the area for having moved here for the summer and he had been chatting with me (I have lots of friends from Grindr) and obsessively texting me and as a nice person who understands what it's like to be in a new country and state, I was casually chatting with him. Things turned weird when he condescended me.
Alright, I'll take you at your word (obsessive texting makes it sound more intense) but it's not really surprising that he didn't take you that seriously because 1. the age gap makes it weird and so it probably wasn't all that serious on his end 2. people at that age are often still very wrapped up in arbitrary standards of cool and posturing because they are only a few years from being kids. Learning to let that shit go is part of growing up. Yeah, he was a shithead but being so mad kinda makes you sound insecure instead of laughing it off as dumb kid stuff.

Principate

Oct 31, 2017
Guessing from your reaction to this there is a pretty high change that he actually is more adult than you! :D Like...what is it with your obsession with mentioning your age difference, as if that somehow proves that he is a childish loser and you are this elder statesman? What is this? You are 30, not 75 :D

I don't know man many 10 years is fair a bit of time. Dude could be lecturing on course that student is on at that age. I know I'm teaching fair few 21 year old and up. Your right it's nothing to get hung up about. The older you get the less you care about things being childish or being seen as childish I've found.

OP
OP
Nothing Loud

Nothing Loud

Literally Cinderella
Oct 25, 2017
So you blocked him for making a mild joke about anime because he thought he was better than you but you keep bringing up the fact that he's just some dumb college kid?

I keep answering posts about the age difference with responses that relate to that post, am I supposed to just ghost this thread? People complain about that kind of OP behavior on Era.

Chumunga64

Jun 22, 2018
People make threads here about all kind of dumb and negative shit lol don't even try to gatekeep OT
i'll gatekeep those threads too lmao. If the negative threads are "oh this piece of media sucks" than that's fine cause it's a show or movie but you're really angry at this guy who's still not far removed from being a teen. people mellow out when they're older and his remark was pretty standard jokey insult between friends and you blocked him on EVERYTHING

and it's good that you posted some positive threads but that's not gonna stop me from dunking on you here lol

ZeroX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speed Force
People make threads here about all kind of dumb and negative shit lol it's the weekend and people post their anecdotes all the time don't even try to gatekeep OT. I have posted seriously helpful threads like the pro-trans action thread and the free mental health resources thread and those disappear off the first page and get completely forgotten so let's not go there
Responding to a thread backfire with "but I've made good threads in the past!" is pretty hilarious ngl

The thing is you're saying:

"I don't need to waste my time" when you're clearly letting this guy into your head, he's still wasting your time by you fixating on it and complaining about it to a bunch of strangers on the internet lol

Fart Master

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
A dumpster
You should probably relax and go on with your day lol.

OP
OP
Nothing Loud

Nothing Loud

Literally Cinderella
Oct 25, 2017
Alright, I'll take you at your word (obsessive texting makes it sound more intense) but it's not really surprising that he didn't take you that seriously because 1. the age gap makes it weird and so it probably wasn't all that serious on his end 2. people at that age are often still very wrapped up in arbitrary standards of cool and posturing because they are only a few years from being kids. Learning to let that shit go is part of growing up. Yeah, he was a shithead but being so mad kinda makes you sound insecure instead of laughing it off as dumb kid stuff.

The fact I'm posting about it makes it sound like I'm obsessively upset when I was just telling the story and in reality I was mildly annoyed Friday and reminded when my husband asked about this guy to post about it today. What I'm getting more annoyed at, honestly, are the disingenuous posts judging me. Era loves a good backfire and punching at OPs. But whatever, that's part of the territory here in OT

UltimateHigh

Oct 25, 2017
no matter how big you think anime is... it's not THAT big where you can drop it into any random convo and expect great results.

but lets be real here.. he's dumb.

faint

Oct 27, 2017
He's immature but your response was equally immature. I understand being dumbfounded that someone can find a very common interest juvenile but he's still a dumb 21 year old regardless of where he goes to school. He has limited life experience compared to you. This is why it's important to consider mental maturity in a partner or when dating. I'm 28 and couldn't fathom having a conversation with a 21 year old or anyone under the age of 24.

IneptEMP

Jan 14, 2019

Right...sounds like you took this a bit personal lol.

OP you dared to be show a bit of emotional vulnerabilty to Internet dwellers who never share their personal life or their faults ever. Prepare to die. /s

Nerokis

Oct 25, 2017

Pretty much.

I can see why the OP would be annoyed, but this is basically a young adult being a young adult. It's okay for them not to see that as clearly as you do. Getting defensive over it stands out more to me.

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Lol I'm kind of dumbfounded.

This guy on Grindr just moved here from Princeton for a summer internship in Big Tech. He's a 21 year old software engineering student that is from Rwanda. He didn't seem Ivy League smug or anything so I've been chatting with him on Grindr and he became obsessed with messaging me throughout this week, checking in on me "how's your day", "what are you up to", "can we hang out this weekend" etc

So then he asks me what I'm doing on Friday and I tell him I'm watching Ghibli movies, ie Princess Mononoke. He asks me what that is and I have to explain to him that they're famous animated movies often done by Hayao Miyazaki. He asks for an example and I'm like I told you, Princess Mononoke. He then says "oh…like anime movies?" To which I confirm yes. Then he tells me "Oh well this conversation wasn't bad so far, but now I've got to be an adult lol"

Lol excuse me? I was so taken aback. Do people in 2022 really still look down on others for liking "anime movies" let alone fucking award winning Miyazaki movies? The nerve of this kid condescending me. Like you're not impressive Mr Princeton. Everyone in this city is a software engineer at big tech and to come after me at 21 years old when I'm a rising 4th year phd student in computational biology and tell me you can't enjoy "anime movies" because you have to be an adult. I just can't lmfao. Blocked him on everything.

Does anyone still harass or shame you for liking nerdy things? I'm 31 and I'm like dumbfounded that a college kid had the ego and nerve to say that to me. I hope I wasn't that kind of trash when I was 21. Have you ever experienced someone trashing you for liking Miyazaki or "anime films" or anything else nerdy?
A lot of people don't even consider Ghibli or Miyazaki films as anime, they're just Japanese/international animated films. But this guy was a weirdo and had the wrong impression but I don't think you needed to get defensive and block him lol. I'm sure you were a little silly at 21 too.

OP
OP
Nothing Loud

Nothing Loud

Literally Cinderella
Oct 25, 2017
Pretty much.

I can see why the OP would be annoyed, but this is basically a young adult being a young adult. It's okay for them not to see that as clearly as you do. Getting defensive over it stands out more to me.

Are humans supposed to not get mildly annoyed about rude behavior or make mildly annoyed posts on the internet, I'm sorry I don't understand lol

People here ask to eat the rich and root for Covid to kill people but I'm immature in being mildly annoyed about someone calling me childish. thisisera.gif

Jonathan Lanza

"I've made a Gigantic mistake"
Feb 8, 2019
You see OP? This is why I said don't reveal your power level. Now you're getting bumrushed here!

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
It was a stupid thing to say. What he said, not your reaction. If I'm on a dating app and somebody brings up a hobby they enjoy I ain't gonna say slick shit.

"Oh look at this little shit putting together his toy trains on his toy train track, what a loser"

Surakian

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
OP, what isn't important is being validated by us over your feelings and how this interaction affected you.

What is important is that you know what you enjoy and what makes you happy. You can choose to let that guy's comments annoy you or you can choose to let it go.

Nov 25, 2021
On one hand, yeah, it's absolute nonsense that people try to conform to some standard of "adulthood" instead of living and enjoying things that please them and lettings others do so respectively, but on the other hand I wouldn't really go out of my way to call em a loser or a dipshit, just misguided. A simple "I'm sorry you feel that way, I don't think we'll be able to get along" works perfectly fine sometimes.

DarthMasta

Feb 17, 2018
Call him uncultured, move on with your life?

I'm assuming not loving Miyazaki movies isn't a dealbreaker, if it is, I'm sure there's more fish in the sea.

PlateOfShrimp

Apr 16, 2020
Pretty lame that that was the response. These are award winning films that are highly beloved by many, and in general, I would probably hold judgements of taste to myself that early on in a friendship. That being said, he's 21. Gotta lower your expectations. Not that 21 year olds cant be mature, but you have 1.5x the life experiences he does at this point.

Nerokis

Oct 25, 2017
Are humans supposed to not get mildly annoyed about rude behavior or make mildly annoyed posts on the internet, I'm sorry I don't understand lol

I said I understood being annoyed and you're responding to me with "are humans supposed to not get mildly annoyed."

But no, you're not overly defensive at all, lol.

Not to mention invoking your status as a PhD student, all the good threads you've made in the past, etc., etc. Definitely comes across like you're taking things a touch too personally.

Ghibli films are widely recognized by most people who know anything about, well, movies. 21-year old guy is being a 21-year old guy who doesn't know much about anything yet, but thinks he does.

I'm not going to tell the OP they shouldn't be annoyed at the misguided and self-revealing arrogance of youth. Probably wise to accept though, that it has always been a thing. I wouldn't be surprised to see young people still thinking in terms like "lol animu".

Sidewinder

Oct 25, 2017
You should have just told him to watch "Grave of the Fireflies" and text you back after he watched it.

I still remember when I witnessed the beauty that are Ghibli movies for the first time, Princess Mononoke started at Cinemas in Switzerland and I saw a trailer on TV, it didn't air nowhere close to me so I ordered the US DVD as soon as it released and I was absolutely floored by it.

I was only 16 though, not an old fart like yourself, I don't watch Animus anymore, because I'm a real adult now that hates everything!!1

Just kidding, still love all Ghibli movies.

Royalan

I can say DEI; you can't.
Oct 24, 2017
I mean, there's something to be said about dating people who have similar interests as you (or, at the very least, aren't actively repulsed by the things you're into). It's strange to me how so many couples I know who break up don't have this one core bit of foundation.

In that sense, it's not so much about anime in itself. OP, maybe I wouldn't have taken it as personally (at my current age, 20-something Roy definitely would have), but your feelings are valid. And they're not strange. Remove "anime," you expressed a "like" for something, and this potential romantic(?) person expressed a revulsion for it, and in a way that was ironically quite childish.

And besides, this was the initial stages of a Grindr meeting. This is the. time. to weed these things out.

To answer your question, I don't get picked on for my likes very much; but that might be because my online profiles are pretty detailed, so if it gets to the point where we're talking, you generally have a sense of what I'm about. The few times it has happened though, especially in the last few years, these people are usually met with a block and not a second more of my mental energy.

Status
Not open for further replies.