• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

OldDirtyGamer

Apr 14, 2019
Its 299 a month. Are they kidding? LOL

What kind on internet plans do you guys have and does a higher speed really make a difference?

I feel ripped off already playing 110 a month for 400Mb down from comcast.

LightKiosk

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Shheeeeeeesh $300/mo is expensive lol. I assume there's not much competition in your area?

I pay $54/mo after taxes for 1gig fiber, but there is a lot of competition in my area so that's nice. Idk if I'd ever need more than 1gig anytime soon though.

HonestAbe

May 19, 2020
What's the upload speed? That's just as important.

Comcast upload speed are shit. If you're getting 2gigs down and barely only getting 5m up or inconsistent speeds at best..it's not going to matter much.

Kindekuma

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

Comcast upload speed are shit. If you're getting 2gigs down and barely only getting 5m up or inconsistent speeds at best..it's not going to matter much.

This. I have 450 down for $50 a month with Xfinity, and moderately good upload which is fine for streaming. Absolutely don't pay that.

greetdeath

Oct 27, 2017
You're only as good as your weakest link.

Unless you have a 2gb+ router (or switch) and a PC (won't work with consoles) with a 2gb+ NIC, you are wasting money. Even if you do, you're still likely wasting money.

Zips

Oct 25, 2017
2Gbps is fine and all, but you won't find many services that actually hit those speeds. Furthermore, it's the upload that matters most for streaming.

And even then, most streaming services, like Twitch, put a cap on the speed (theirs is something like 6000kbps).

JustinH

Oct 27, 2017
I have 1Gbps down/up for 90 dollars a month from AT&T. I love it, but that's considering that I was paying 125/month from a different company for 200 down/25 up before this was available here, lol. I usually get high 800s/low 900s on speed tests whenever I feel like "checking it out" from time to time, which is totally fine for me.

I'm moving in the next couple months and I'm afraid I won't have access to this service when I get there and it's not easy seeing availability on websites for some reason.
I tried guessing an address in the complex where I'm going to move but it always gives me "there are many homes at this address" or something.

OP
OP
OldDirtyGamer

OldDirtyGamer

Apr 14, 2019
Shheeeeeeesh $300/mo is expensive lol. I assume there's not much competition in your area?

I pay $54/mo after taxes for 1gig fiber, but there is a lot of competition in my area so that's nice. Idk if I'd ever need more than 1gig anytime soon though.
Ive been waiting on verizon for forever. Still not in my area.

I get like 15Mbs upload. For this new plan it says the upload is the same as the download.

Vandal Deca

Oct 21, 2018
I pay about $90 (after tax/BS) for 1 Gbps symmetrical fiber from AT&T, no data caps for now. There are very few services that can deliver even that speed. Nvidia driver downloads and, on a good day, Steam downloads get real close.

Klokwerk

Oct 29, 2017
Here in France I pay $32,80 per month for an unlimited data fiber connection (I get 1 Gbps download / 400 Mbps upload).

I could also pay $38,55 / month for the 2 Gbps version (with 600 Mbps upload).

We're blessed compared to the US.

Oct 27, 2017
USA
Their 2GB service is called Gigabit Pro and does not have a data cap.

When they announced the plan to introduce data caps in the north east they did state Gigabit Pro would still be unlimited.

Kraken3dfx

Oct 25, 2017
Denver, CO
Paying 90 a month for Ting 1G with no data cap. A little pricey compared to the 56 I was paying CenturyLink for 120M, but I couldn't go back.

OP
OP
OldDirtyGamer

OldDirtyGamer

Apr 14, 2019
I did just a speed test and im getting over 450Mbs so im not so sure this is worth almost 3x the price haha

HonestAbe

May 19, 2020
This. I have 450 down for $50 a month with Xfinity, and moderately good upload which is fine for streaming. Absolutely don't pay that.

Ive been waiting on verizon for forever. Still not in my area.

I get like 15Mbs upload. For this new plan it says the upload is the same as the download.

I think I'm supposed to get 15Mb+. But I rarely hit that. Maybe on a good cool day. It's more inconsistent than anything.

2gig down/up would be amazing.

JershJopstin

Oct 25, 2017
You're only as good as your weakest link.

Unless you have a 2gb+ router (or switch) and a PC (won't work with consoles) with a 2gb+ NIC, you are wasting money. Even if you do, you're still likely wasting money.
The router is true, but the rest assumes OP lives alone. It's possible to have a few roommates that all have high bandwidth needs. 2 Gbps worthy, maybe not, but you don't need a 2 Gbps PC to take advantage of that.

bmdubya

Nov 1, 2017
Colorado
Is it fiber or copper cabling? If it's fiber, then yeah symmetrical speeds are possible. If it's copper, Comcast is lying to you. The best it would be is probably 30 Mbps upload.

Even then, for streaming HD video to like Twitch, you only need like 6-8 Mbps upload speed. Those numbers may have changed since I've streamed. My bottleneck was always my CPU/GPU; I never had an issue with bandwidth being the issue when I streamed.

Kouriozan

Oct 25, 2017
Here in France I pay $32,80 per month for an unlimited data fiber connection (I get 1 Gbps download / 400 Mbps upload).

I could also pay $38,55 / month for the 2 Gbps version (with 600 Mbps upload).

We're blessed compared to the US.
Yeah when I look at US prices I found them really crazy.
Fiber's still not in my town but they're currently working on it, should be in my house in 2/3 months and it's going to be cheaper than my current ADSL sub (42€ / Orange)

m0therzer0

Mobile Gaming Product Manager
Verified
Nov 19, 2017
San Francisco bay area
Do you stream to a bunch of devices at once? I'm using a 200 mbps Comcast connection and I've never felt like my connection was a limiting factor in downloading or streaming.

Duncan

Oct 25, 2017
Sonic gigabit fiber internet is 50 bucks here in SF but it's in select neighborhoods and whadya know, I live in one of them.

That's fucking robbery, OP.

OP
OP
OldDirtyGamer

OldDirtyGamer

Apr 14, 2019
Is it fiber or copper cabling? If it's fiber, then yeah symmetrical speeds are possible. If it's copper, Comcast is lying to you. The best it would be is probably 30 Mbps upload.

Even then, for streaming HD video to like Twitch, you only need like 6-8 Mbps upload speed. Those numbers may have changed since I've streamed. My bottleneck was always my CPU/GPU; I never had an issue with bandwidth being the issue when I streamed.
Im really not sure tbh. My current upload is 12Mbs

Im not too fussed about download because i download full games big games pretty fast still.

OP
OP
OldDirtyGamer

OldDirtyGamer

Apr 14, 2019
Do you stream to a bunch of devices at once? I'm using a 200 mbps Comcast connection and I've never felt like my connection was a limiting factor in downloading or streaming.
I do not. I dont have issue with my download. But all the game streaming services i have tried have only been acceptable. Most have had random lag spikes making it kinda meh but not sure if thats the service itself or my internet.
Sonic gigabit fiber internet is 50 here in SF but it's in select neighborhoods in which i live in one of them.

That's fucking robbery, OP.
Yeah its seems ridiculous :D My friends like less than a mile away have 1Gb fiber from verizon that is like 40 dollars cheaper than my comcast plan. I hate comcast but its all i can get for fast internet rn.

m0therzer0

Mobile Gaming Product Manager
Verified
Nov 19, 2017
San Francisco bay area
I do not. I dont have issue with my download. But all the game streaming services i have tried have only been acceptable. Most have had random lag spikes making it kinda meh but not sure if thats the service itself or my internet.
Oh yeah, that's interesting. How impactful on your data cap is streaming games? We're brushing up against our 1 TB cap each month so I hadn't even considered streaming game services.

bmdubya

Nov 1, 2017
Colorado
Im really not sure tbh. My current upload is 12Mbs

Im not too fussed about download because i download full games big games pretty fast still.
Well if it isn't fiber then you're not going to get the same upload speeds as download; it's a limitation of the hardware. So definitely find out if it's fiber before signing up. 12 Mbps upload sounds about right for Comcast. We have business class Comcast internet at work and the highest upload speeds they support on copper is 35 Mbps.

Oct 25, 2017
Google Fiber offers 2Gbps up/down for $100 a month and that includes taxes and fees.

the downside though to 2Gbps that most don't realize is the upgrades or changes to hardware you will need to support those types of speeds

Zukuu

Oct 30, 2017
How are datacaps STILL a thing in the US. It absolutely baffles me.
It's 2021 ffs - we ain't on dial up anymore.

PianoBlack

May 24, 2018
United States
You don't need nearly that much raw bandwidth for game streaming (I assume this is referring to xCloud, Stadia etc). Ping, router, wired vs wifi, etc will all be much more important. I've had perfectly good experiences on 50 Mbps connections and expect you could go lower for non-4K streams.

At the end of the day the data coming down to you is still just streaming video. You can stream 1080p video on like 5-10 Mbps if it's a solid connection.

OP
OP
OldDirtyGamer

OldDirtyGamer

Apr 14, 2019
Google Fiber offers 2Gbps up/down for $100 a month and that includes taxes and fees.

the downside though to 2Gbps that most don't realize is the upgrades or changes to hardware you will need to support those types of speeds
Comcast has some balls but i guess they can when there are no other options for a lot of people.

OP
OP
OldDirtyGamer

OldDirtyGamer

Apr 14, 2019
You don't need nearly that much raw bandwidth for game streaming (I assume this is referring to xCloud, Stadia etc). Ping, router, wired vs wifi, etc will all be much more important. I've had perfectly good experiences on 50 Mbps connections and expect you could go lower for non-4K streams.

At the end of the day the data coming down to you is still just streaming video. You can stream 1080p video on like 5-10 Mbps if it's a solid connection.
Xcloud was decent on my phone but when i tried it on PC is was pretty mediocre with noticeable lag.

DonnieTC

Apr 10, 2019
Ooof. I have 1 Gbps up/down fiber from AT&T Uverse and it has worked perfectly fine for any game streaming I've tried. It only costs me 60 bucks a month too but that's with the military and TV bundle discount. If you bundle with TV you get unlimited data though so no cap and also free HBO Max (don't need to bundle for free HBO though as it comes with the 1 Gbps tier). The TV part costs around 100 a month so my total bill is usually around 170ish for TV + internet. That's after the introductory price. For the first year I was paying around 100 for both.

Kaeden

Oct 25, 2017
US
I'm paying $52/month after fees with modem rental, unlimited data, 600dn from Comcast. Got one more year on the deal.

Okabe

Is Sometimes A Good Bean
Aug 24, 2018
My 2gbps plan at $90 sounding real good right now lol

Wolf

Oct 25, 2017
I pay $90 a month for gigabit with Comcast, no way would I pay over triple that for 2gbps. Gross.