• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

ScOULaris

Oct 25, 2017
Whew, boy. Where do I even begin?

xenogears.jpg

I'm someone who absolutely adores the 32-bit era of JRPG's but has finished only a few of them. I've dabbled in dozens by now, but given their sprawling length (and usually plenty of padding) I've rarely seen any of them through to the end. Even so, I want to make clear from the outset that the PS1 era of JRPG's is my favorite of all time due to the sheer breadth, volume, and variety of releases that the genre enjoyed during that prolific time. So given my appreciation for that period of JRPG development, Xenogears was always a pretty big blind spot of mine considering its cult status that has only grown over time.

Now, I'm not stranger to Tetsuya Takahashi's grandiose ambitions. I've played both Xenoblade games and loved them both for their massive scale, even if XC2's fanservice felt like a big step backward from the first game. But Xenogears, man... this is ambition on a level that simply left me awestruck through most of its long runtime. I struggle to comprehend how Takahashi attempted to create this game in a two-year timeframe with a largely new team of rookie Squaresoft employees as his directorial debut on the PS1.

The amazing animated intro by Production I.G. really hooked me in from the start.

As I made my way through the game's opening 20-30 hours I was continually gobsmacked by the story this game seemed to be trying to tell and the scale of its far-flung, sci-fi world. There were plenty of long, sprawling JRPG's on the PS1, but Xenogears without the doubt is the most ambitious of any of them in terms of the scope it was striving to achieve and the depth of its (admittedly convoluted), millennia-spanning storyline. Every time I made my way to a new city or town, encountered new party members and their backstories, or experienced one of many surprisingly well-directed in-game and/or anime cutscenes I felt an increasing sense of disbelief. I just fucking loved it.

xenogears-cover-1200x675-1.jpg

The game has more characters than you really end up utilizing, but the majority of them are wonderfully realized.

The characters, the writing, the world, the graphical style, the unfolding mysteries of the in-game universe... everything just checked all of my boxes as I played through it for the first time. And the MUSIC. How can I forget Yasunori Mitsuda's absolutely top-notch compositions for this game? It's up there with the very best in the genre, IMO.

You hear this song many times over the long journey, but I never tired of it.

By the time I reached the end of Disc 1, I was telling my friends that I thought this might actually be my all-time favorite JRPG, surpassing the likes of Chrono Trigger, FF7, and Dragon Quest 8. While it wasn't always perfect, I felt that the overlap of ambition and execution resulted in the most impressive JRPG that I'd played up to now. Then Disc 2 happened.

latest

Me playing through Disc 2

By now it should come as no surprise to hear that Disc 2 was a disappointing and drastic shift for the game. It's legendary for how it gave players back in 1998 the sense that the game simply ran out of time and money and released in an unfinished state, and honestly that wasn't too far off from the reality according to Takahashi when asked many years later. They had a hard two-year timeframe within which to complete the game, and they had to either end the game at Disc 1 (which would've been odd from a story standpoint) or finish out the story they were trying to tell on Disc 2 via text dumps and boss fights that speed you through many large-scale events toward the conclusion.

d7nozxmqomsqerrqkx5n.jpg

Disc 2 is infamous for good reason. It completely skims over several massive plot developments and offers little gameplay.

Ultimately I think they made the right decision given those two options, but damn... Disc 2 is, without a doubt, the biggest example of missed opportunity I've ever seen in all my years of gaming. Like, damn. I liken Disc 2 of Xenogears to this: it's like the last season of Game of Thrones and Evangelion had a baby. The comparison to GoT stems from how rushed the game's final story beats all feel in Disc 2 and how characterization is simplified and streamlined to a detrimental degree in the process as well. The Evangelion comparison speaks to many similarities between the game and the landmark anime, and it's a comparison that has been made many times before. The game not only shares plenty of thematic similarities with Evangelion (sci-fi, mechs, a reluctant/mentally tortured protagonist, tons of Christian/religious imagery and allegory, etc.), but it also has a similarly messy and unsatisfying ending. The ways in which Xenogears and Evangelion are similar is actually worthy of any entirely separate discussion, but feel free to have that discourse in this thread if you want.

Xenogears.jpg
Neon-Genesis-Evangelion.jpg

Xenogears is the closest we've ever gotten to an Evangelion game.

Anyway, I'm torn in trying to evaluate how Disc 2 affected my experience with the game as a whole. On one hand, it actively detracted from my opinion of the game. Disc 1 was borderline perfection in my eyes, but given how Disc 2 played out I no longer feel that I can call it my all-time favorite JRPG. But on the other hand, Disc 1 was friggin' 50+ hours long. It was a massive, amazing, unforgettable JRPG in its own right without even taking the second disc into account. And, hell. If Disc 2 was somehow able to be realized to the same degree of execution as Disc 1, the game would've been a lean 100+ hours long. That's just crazy to think about. I still think it would've been for the better, but that would've just been insanely long no matter how you look at it.

This is all just a stream-of-consciousness thought dump, so please bear with me. Given how much I've already spewed onto the screen I think I'll cut the OP off there and open up the floor for further discussion. Here are some discussion questions to help guide things along:

1. Where you do you rank Xenogears among the best JRPG's of all time?
  2. How did Disc 2 affect your overall impression of the game? How do you think it has affected its legacy?
  3. What do you imagine would've happened if the game did well enough to allow Takashi to expand Xenogears into a multi-part series as he originally envisioned?
  4. Have you read the fan-translated Perfect Works book? If so, what are some of the more interesting details illuminated by the book that were either unclear or completely absent from the game?
PS - I played it via emulation with save states, and thank god that I did. I think my opinion of the game would be lower if I had played it in 1998 on original hardware due to several frustrating areas with save points few and far between.

Last edited:

AlwaysSalty

The Fallen
Nov 12, 2017
Yeah its one of my favorites too. I replayed it like 3-4 times. The 2 last times I played it on my ps3, once with the original disc but it kept crashing in the last dungeon in the same spot. Tried getting the digital one and the same thing happened when I got to that spot. Its basically the only reason I haven't played it recently.

EntelechyFuff

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Nov 19, 2019
Xenogears disc 2 and the end of the original anime run of Evangelion are both awesome.

While they both have roots in the lack of time/money/resources, they both did something daring in the face of adversity that ultimately created a more memorable end result.

I love Xenogears, but I think a "fully realized" version of the game where you're globe trotting to a lot of the same locations and plodding through random battles with wels would actually significantly hurt the overall quality of the game. Dungeon design is easily the worst aspect of Xenogears.

Jamaro

Oct 27, 2017
In my top three, glad you got to experience this! Will actually read your post through the evening.

Jencks

Oct 25, 2017
One of my favorite RPGs. I knew what to expect going into Disk 2 so it the impact was lessened.

Android Sophia

The Absolute Sword
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
My name kind of implies how I feel about this game in general, given that's where I got it from as a kid.

I have some complaints about the gameplay, as the balance is pretty wonky and the game feels unfinished in spots. Most of these are related to the combat system and how the blend of character combat and gear combat doesn't feel coherent together. I'm not too bothered by the design of Disc 2 itself, outside of some of the blatantly unfinished cutscenes.

However, I will forever hold the story as one of my favorites of all time, across any medium.

AceAlli

Oct 27, 2017
Oh! A Xenogears topic! Joy! 🥰

1. It's thee greatest JRPG imo. Disc 2 be damned, the whole work is still a testament to the genre and medium, and the letdown of the rushed project doesn't dismiss how good the game is as far as I'm concerned.

2.It's perhaps my biggest regret in gaming. I wish they would revisit the title and remake it so they could realize the whole vision. Even if it was a small team on a smaller budget like Tokyo RPG Factory. Just put it together so us fans can get the real intended vision.

3. I think if he had the whole multi-game plan executed fully, we'd have gone through so many timelines and scenarios that it would've been an insanely convoluted series, but probably one of the greatest stories ever told. I would (have) like(ed) to see it.

4. I have not read Perfect Works, but I'm sure it adds a ton of context and extra understanding.

If ever a game deserved a remake/remaster in the age of remakes/remasters, it is absolutely, 100% Xenogears.

Sibersk Esto

Changed the hierarchy of thread titles
Oct 25, 2017
  2. How did Disc 2 affect your overall impression of the game? How do you think it has affected its legacy?
  3. What do you imagine would've happened if the game did well enough to allow Takashi to expand Xenogears into a multi-part series as he originally envisioned?
  4. Have you read the fan-translated Perfect Works book? If so, what are some of the more interesting details illuminated by the book that were either unclear or completely absent from the game?

1. Pretty high up there

2. I feel like I had been warned of Disk 2 so much that when I actually got there I knew exactly what to expect. I think Disk 2 has made its legacy more divisive but its scale and ambition are usually praised from what I've seen.

3. I don't know how it would've fared, honestly. The Ps2 would be out by the time a hypothetical sequel would've released so that's a whole new console. Those big ambitious Square RPGs didn't last too long in a post PSX world.

4. Pretty much everything having to do with Fei and Elly's
past lives.

transience

Found the ultimate water hazard
Oct 27, 2017
Xenogears hype force, assemble!

Xenogears is my GOAT and it's not especially close for RPGs. yeah, disc 2 is disappointing compared to what it could have been, but it's still engrossing and doesn't ruin the game for me at all. it just isn't as good as disc 1 -- and the Solaris arc is absolutely the money shot of the game, whether or not they fully completed disc 2. it's hard to match that.

transience

Oct 27, 2017
going a little further, I've spent 23 years wondering what a fully realized disc 2 would have looked like. it's fundamentally different from disc 1 in terms of scope, so it's not like you just add in some world map locations and dungeons. as you noted, the game oscillates across several different eras and I wouldn't think you'd go back and play the 500 years ago arc as Lacan or something like that. so, while disc 2 might be underwhelming, I still struggle to think about what it could have been.

OP
OP
ScOULaris

ScOULaris

Oct 25, 2017
going a little further, I've spent 23 years wondering what a fully realized disc 2 would have looked like. it's fundamentally different from disc 1 in terms of scope, so it's not like you just add in some world map locations and dungeons. as you noted, the game oscillates across several different eras and I wouldn't think you'd go back and play the 500 years ago arc as Lacan or something like that. so, while disc 2 might be underwhelming, I still struggle to think about what it could have been.
Honestly, I think I'm gonna be left wondering that for the rest of my days as well. I'll be on my deathbed talking about Disc 2, which my family will likely write off as the ramblings of a man losing his mental faculties in my waning final days.

transience

Oct 27, 2017
Honestly, I think I'm gonna be left wondering that for the rest of my days as well. I'll be on my deathbed talking about Disc 2, which my family will likely write off as the ramblings of a man losing his mental faculties in my waning final days.
I actually think I'd like to see where you're at in a couple of weeks (I assume you just finished it within the last couple of days). I feel like Xenogears still tells a comprehensive, complete story from beginning to end. I don't leave Xenogears wondering what happened or where the story was going. it would have been more satisfying but I think I'm happy that we got what we got, as opposed to it being some kind of aborted storyline that never finished.

Zeal543

Next Level Seer
May 15, 2020
1. top 5 no question
2. disc 2 contains a lot of the best story bits, so i really like it despite the cut content. Would be better with it being in tact obviously but it didn't hurt the experience for me as much as I thought it would
3. Hard to say, there was such a shift in Square enix post-merger and the wada era that it's difficult to say. Despite initial hardships, I think forming monolith and being under nintendo was for the better
4. Yes, I think how the zohar operates specifically is the most interesting bit that isn't in the game

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
Squeenix should assemble the team for a remake. Partner with Nintendo and have a team port disc one and rebuild disc 2 the way it supposed to be, and release it on Steam and Switch.

RyougaSaotome

Oct 25, 2017
1. Extremely high, top 3 at the very least.

2. I recently replayed Xenogears, only my second time through the game since it launched. In the years since, I've read many a VN and watched a whole shit ton of anime. While ultimately I wish it was realized exactly as Takahashi and co. wanted, I think the solution they came up with was fascinating from a mechanical/budget/technical perspective, but also somehow worked within the context of the game. I walked away from Xenogears feeling like I got a complete story.

3. Honestly it's hard to say. I adore Xenosaga and Xenoblade a whole lot, and I really like that that team has been able to utilize elements of the Xenogears "series" throughout all of their works, even Soma Bringer. Had Xenogears become the series they shot for initially, I feel like maybe we wouldn't have gotten all these fascinating interpretations of similar concepts.

4. I own a copy of the JP book and I primarily find the timelines for universe-lore really fascinating.

Jan 27, 2020
Washington, DC
It's a special game, no doubt. More than any other game, it stayed with me and I still find myself thinking about it regularly. I think it's Mitsuda's best work by far; that music is still so effective at evoking the way I felt playing that game. One of these days I need to find time to replay it; I haven't touched it since 2007.

If they ever did remake it, I think all I'd want is some higher resolution sprites and a fresh translation. I'd even leave the second disk alone, honestly. I think it's a work that can largely just left be.

RoninChaos

Oct 26, 2017
Gonna come back to this thread once I finish my play through. Been trying to get through it for 20 fucking years. About to hit Babel tower.

The text speed is so slow and it feels like there should be a glossary for all the terms they throw around but there isn't one. Makes me feel pretty lost and not getting how everything connects.

Deleted member 17210

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
1. It ranks very high (it was my favourite RPG at the time) but the long length and some pacing issues hurt the replayability as opposed to 1998's other amazing but much shorter JRPG, Panzer Dragoon Saga.

2. Disc 2's design didn't bother me because the game would have been way too long otherwise.

3. Hard to say if the quality could have been maintained but I would have enjoyed sequels in its style much more than Xenosaga which didn't do anything for me.

4. I haven't read it.

Deleted member 3010

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
1. I just finished the game two years ago and it's absolutely in my top 3 best JRPGs ever.

2. I jumped in knowing what Disc 2 was and honestly, the writing and story as a whole made up for the content missing in that disc. Even though sometimes you're reading and like "Damn I wish I could've played through this.". Hah!

3. It's hard to envision, honestly. Reading Perfect Works helps having an idea of that, yet so much more could've been done, so much thought process went into the lore of this game and yet what was supposed to become a series, it's shocking that so much was planned within the development life of the game we got.

4. I had a lot of difficulty wrapping my head around what and who Grahf exactly was, concepts such as the Zohar, the Wave Existence, Kademony. A bunch of [Cryptic Key Words] you can read through the game, too. Heck even the intro was kind of still of a mystery to me, which Perfect Works explains to the deepest details possible. Perfect Works is a must for any fans of the game.

Last edited:

Kain

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Evangelion wishes it was as good as Xenogears. All the western influence Eva has: all the angels, names, imagery that made us westerners crazy... That's all empty fluff. In Xenogears they make sense and they are perfectly explained and tied to the world. The scope of Xeno is unparalleled. One of the greatest.

Eppcetera

Mar 3, 2018
PS - I played it via emulation with save states, and thank god that I did. I think my opinion of the game would be lower if I had played it in 1998 on original hardware due to several frustrating areas with save points few and far between.

1. I'd rank Xenogears somewhere in my top 5, probably. It's among the best, in the same tier with RPGs like Chrono Trigger and Final Fantasy VII (although I'd definitely put Chrono Trigger, my number one favourite game of all time, above Xenogears).
2. Disc 2 kind of stunned me when I first played the game, since it's a major shift in presentation. However, now that I've replayed the game four or five times, I don't really mind the difference that much. I generally think that Disc 2 hatred is a bit overblown, and some of its issues tend to get exaggerated (i.e., people will say that there's no gameplay in Disc 2, even though it has three dungeons, and the presentation style returns to normal for the final dungeon). I also am very against the game being remade, especially if Takahashi is not involved (without him, I don't see the point). Seeing as how Takahashi now does his own thing, I can't imagine he'd ever return to Square.
3. I don't believe Takahashi could have completed his vision. It was too ambitious. He tried to make a six-game series with Xenosaga and only made it up to the third game. As it is, I doubt he could have make a second Xenogears if he chose to stop the story at Disc 1.
4. I've read Perfect Works, but I don't remember much of it. The main thing I remember is how mistranslated so many characters' names are.

I've only played Xenogears without save states (either on the PS1 or PS3), and I don't think it's that bad. The main issue is one particular boss fight in Disc 2 that can be challenging for the unprepared; this boss fight is preceded by a very long cutscene which cannot be skipped. In general, I think Xenogears is pretty easy, so the lack of save points has never bothered me much. The main thing I'd be interested in if I emulated it would be a patch to speed up the text.

Quinton

Specialist at TheGamer / Reviewer at RPG Site
Oct 25, 2017
Midgar, With Love

1. Just behind FF7.
2. I was 11 when I first played the game, and at 11, I didn't think about the shift much at all. I'm no longer 11, and the second disc certainly stings, but it has plenty of good moments, the gameplay opens back up at the end, and it is absolutely worth experiencing.
3. It probably would have eventually crashed and burned. We would potentially never see Xenoblade as a result. But it's nice to dream.
4. A buddy of mine helped with the translation, actually. I strongly recommend reading everything on the "500 years ago" portion of the timeline. Some super cool stuff is in there.

Modest_Modsoul

Living the Dreams
Oct 29, 2017
One of Yasunori Mitsuda's best works for the music.

The game's snail speed texts suck though...

Gyro Zeppeli

Oct 27, 2017
Let me speed things up for you, so you can enter your Xenogears hip-hop phase. You didn't know you wanted to listen to a rap battle between Fei and Grahf until you've heard it.

EVA UNIT 01

Oct 27, 2017
CA
Disc 2 is perfect.
It's odd-after the slow building massive sprawl that is disc 1, disc 2 boils down the finale to its essence and imo makes it stronger for it.

Zephy

Oct 27, 2017
Xenogears is my favourite JRPG of all time. I haven't played disc 2 since I was luch younger so my impression could be different today, but at the time I didn't know of the time/budget issues, and I thought the say the story was told in disc 2 made the plot advance much faster thanks to skipping a lot of traveling back and fourth and random battles. It felt like the story went into second gear and skipped all that could have been considered as padding.

I've played both Xenoblade games

This sentence really hurts. XCX got robbed.

Soul Lab

Nov 17, 2017
I played it last year and had a hard time to grasp the story. But after I saw the credits and did some research it was clear why. It was so freaking ambitious.

It's my favourite story. A truly fascninating saga. A shame we were only able to experience one episode.

Oct 30, 2017
Oh gosh.. when start talking about Xenogears you always don't know where to start, because there is too much to talk about and admire and praise and to cover, you ask about the perfect game? this is a worthy example.

Imagine playing this back in the 90s how mind-blowing we were with the scale of the story and the very first time experience of a new level of depth of characters and story complicity.

Let me answer your questions:

1- Xenogears is ranked as the very best of not only RPG games but gaming in general with Final Fantasy VII and Xenosaga Episode III ( will talk about this later ).

2- Disc 2 was a left down BUT totally understandable because what else they can do? they run out of time of money so they did what best they can do.. and I'm really ok with it.

3- And this is what you need to play Xenosaga Trilogy, if you loved Xenogears then you will LOVE Xenosaga especially Episode 1 and the greatest of all what's great there is Episode 3.... but I prefer Xenosaga story and characters because they are much more human and complex.

4- I've read The Perfect works and yes it's very necessary because it enhance the story.

Whenever Xenogears LTTP thread happens it pains me more that there is still no other way to play the Xenosaga trilogy than to hunt down the PS2 consoles and physical copies of the games.

I don't Understand why Namco still haven't re-release the trilogy in any way on modern consoles and PC especially with the success of Xenoblade, they could very much milk the trilogy for at less 1M copy sold on all modern platforms and PC.

Oct 26, 2017
I think disc 2 is actually brilliant. At some point in the story, I don't care anymore about plodding along some random dungeon fighting mobs. It makes it feel more epic, only getting the highlights. It's kind of like a montage sequence.

Big Boy

Oct 25, 2017
1. Still the GOAT. Every game I've played since as been a disappointment.

2. I first played Xenogears when it released. I had no problem with disc 2 then. It didn't even seem odd to me at the time. I still don't have an issue with it now, and I'd even go so far as to say I actually love it.

The change in pace felt refreshing, the initial monologues fit the overall narrative as a Fei was mentally fragile at this time, trying to come to terms with a whole lot of shit about himself and the world around him. The shorter dungeons and back to back major events kind of played into the urgency and helped to emphasise the escalating threat.

It mostly seems to me to be people that came to the game later that have a problem with it

3. We would have got the full multi-timeline, universe spanning story that perfect works describes and it would have been the greatest story ever told. Xenosaga is a loose attempt at this but I imagine I would be a much happier person in general if a full Xenogears series had been made instead

4. Read it in pdf form. I want to buy that fan made print version but can't justify it at the moment.

Read it OP. Absorb it.

Last edited:
OP
OP
ScOULaris

ScOULaris

Oct 25, 2017
Xenogears disc 2 and the end of the original anime run of Evangelion are both awesome.

While they both have roots in the lack of time/money/resources, they both did something daring in the face of adversity that ultimately created a more memorable end result.

I love Xenogears, but I think a "fully realized" version of the game where you're globe trotting to a lot of the same locations and plodding through random battles with wels would actually significantly hurt the overall quality of the game. Dungeon design is easily the worst aspect of Xenogears.
I do agree with the idea of how they ended resulting in something memorable, if only for how polarizing both endings were. They also lend themselves to some interesting discussion about how budget constraints can affect a creative work so significantly, leaving players to wax theoretical on what could've been otherwise.

But I don't agree with the notion that Xenogears is better for it, overall. If Disc 2 had been executed with the same scope and polish as Disc 1 I think Xenogears would be much more uniformly considered to be an unassailable masterpiece. Instead, it's the very definition of a cult-classic, flawed masterpiece.

Oct 31, 2017
Listen all I'm asking for is a rerelease of the game but with the option to speed up and skip text. Please. The text speed makes it unplayable for me, idk why tf they made this design decision

OP
OP
ScOULaris

ScOULaris

Oct 25, 2017
If any game deserves a remake it's this one.
Sure, but frankly it would be impossible to remake to any modern standard. It's just way too big. A remaster with added content, however? That's more doable, and I'd love to see it.

The recent Saga Frontier remaster is an example of what I mean.

Aleh

Oct 27, 2017
Sure, but frankly it would be impossible to remake to any modern standard. It's just way too big. A remaster with added content, however? That's more doable, and I'd love to see it.

The recent Saga Frontier remaster is an example of what I mean.
Depends what kind of remake. A full reimagining like FF7? Impossible. A Xenoblade 1/2 style game without as much of a focus on graphics and scale of the world? Hard but doable. An almost 1:1 remake that just makes it look nice and fixes the gameplay and second half to be complete? Easy.

angelgrievous

Middle fingers up
Nov 8, 2017
Ohio
I'm currently stuck on disc 2 and can't seem to finish it. I'm playing it on vita and it crashes during cutscenes so I'm often times replaying large sections of the game. I'm trying to get a physical copy so I can replay it on original hardware. I also just bought the official strategy guide.

Martylepiaf

Oct 25, 2017
France
Top 2 all time for me, and disc 2 is actually my favorite part of the game because so much stuff happens. For me the end of disc 1 (I would say after Shevat) is way more disappointing because it's still gameplay but boring. But still, it's a masterpiece.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid

For many years it was my favorite RPG of all time, no question (my username kind of attests to it). The sheer scale and ambition of its storytelling blew me away (imagine your reaction to it, but 23 years ago, when the closest point of comparison was a badly translated FFVII). Time and perspective had made it harder for me to overlook its faults (excessive encounter rate, and obviously Disc 2) compared to other, better rounded JRPGs like FFVI, Chrono Trigger and Xenoblade Chronicles, so these days my favorite can be any of these four.

Respectively, pretty badly and really badly, hahah. It bears mentioning that my first playthrough of the game was in Japanese (I still own both the Japanese and US versions of the game), which I got back when it was assumed the game wouldn't be released in the US due to its (anti-)religious themes, using loose, fan-made translations displayed on a nearby computer which often glossed over disc 2. Not the most fun of experiences!

Technically that kinda sorta happened. Xenosaga is meant to be that series, to an extent; it just ended up being its own thing, but the first game included a lot of elements from Xenogears like the Zohar, pluys Fei and Elly's earlier incarnations.

I actually own Perfect Works. I never got around to reading a fan-translated version other than a few highlights but aparently it does give a lot of insight about the world and backstory. The issue here is that back then I was into reading fan sites explaining the game, which incorporated elements from both the original game and Perfect Works, so it's hard for me to remember which information comes from which.

The biggest issue with XG's gameplay is the excessive encounter rate. Other than that the game isn't particularly challenging at all. I came from the SNES era where some JRPGs could be pretty challenging, so lack of save points was never an issue for me, except for very long story sequences. :D

transience

Oct 27, 2017
Regarding Perfect Works, two options:

1. if you listen to the highly recommended Retrograde Amnesia Podcast, they do a 55 episode chapter by chapter breakdown of Xenogears that is way more fun than you'd think. if you subscribe to their patreon, you can unlock a full bonus miniseries on Perfect Works where they talk through it and write hundreds of quiz questions to familiarize everyone with the content in there. Super highly recommended.

2. Samiya made an amazing hardcover copy of Perfect Works with the translations if you want to read through it. I wish this existed 20 years ago.

OP
OP
ScOULaris

ScOULaris

Oct 25, 2017
2. Samiya made an amazing hardcover copy of Perfect Works with the translations if you want to read through it. I wish this existed 20 years ago.
Yeah, I've already reached out to Samiya about that. He's just waiting to see if it'll actually be confirmed for me to order a print copy, which isn't a guarantee since it had previously been taken down from the printing site due to copyright concerns. I've been waiting a week or so to see if I'll actually be able to order one. Fingers crossed.

In the meantime I'm reading a PDF version on my tablet, but the quality isn't great. There are also the higher quality image versions on Flickr, but they're not named in a way that can easily be sorted and combined into a PDF for easier reading. Really, I just want the physical version so badly. At this point I'm worried I missed my chance at getting one.