• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Detective Pidgey

Alt Account
Banned
Jun 4, 2019
I just finished the campaign after I had taken a long break (I blame me going back to Witcher 3 on that) and while I absolutely enjoyed it and would place it above Gears 4, it never really blew me away when it comes to things happening in the game.

Great visuals and lovely 60fps (with very, very rarely a brief part where I noticed drops) but I can also see where the visuals got sacrificed. Mostly in the big open area/world parts, especially in act 3 where I honestly wasn't too impressed with the visuals, until I got to the linear/small corridor parts again.

But none of that is a huge deal, what I do find a big deal is that it starts off so nicely and ends so abruptly almost. It starts off great and the second act has a great location as well, but for some reason act 3 just didn't do much for me and chapter 4 is barely a chapter at all, it's a boss fight.

Then comes act 4 and this was great and I wanted so much more of this. And then it turns out there are only two chapters here, why?!!! And even worse, there's not even a fifth act? I'm sad to say but it feels like this was rushed a little.

When I hear people say the game was long enough, I bet they include the side missions with it, which in my opinion really don't add much at all. If you exclude the secondary missions, I think the game would be around Gears 4 length or shorter? It's just a shame, I wanted so much more of this.

Gears 5 shines when it's doing what it has always done. Linear chapters with tons of action but the open world stuff really didn't do much in the end, not for me. It was cool at first in the snow area, but not all that great in the desert.

Recently TC said they want to bring more of the open area/hubs back for Gears 6, right? For me honestly, they don't have to. Just give me the fantastic linear action it's known for or at least bring some life to these locations. Why not have some wildlife (both friendly and hostile) there? Why not have some swarm piloting vehicles of their own, giving you chase and have fun vehicle battles like for example Borderlands?

When all is said and done, I think it's time for a break from Gears and have them work on something different. That is of course if they want this themselves as well. It's clear we're getting Gears 6 first though.

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
I liked the game for the most part, but felt that the sudden choice you get at the end of the game came out of nowhere and felt very out of place in a game like this.

OP
OP
Detective Pidgey

Detective Pidgey

Alt Account
Banned
Jun 4, 2019
I liked the game for the most part, but felt that the sudden choice you get at the end of the game came out of nowhere and felt very out of place in a game like this.

Yeah, even if sad things have always happened in Gears game, it never really was a choice I think. I agree that it came out of nowhere.

SnatcherHunter

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
It feels rushed to me. I feel Rod has great ideas, but halfway through production, he is forced to rush through them. The first Act really felt fleshed out. The story was building up. Then in Act 2, the main story was dropped. As you said, Act 4 was blink and you didn't see it type of Act.

I felt the same with Gears 4. The ending was so anticlimactic. I thought I had another act in G4, just like G5.

I truly hope Coalition gets around 4 years for G6. They truly need a perfect Gears.

DidactBRHU3

Oct 17, 2019
Fortaleza - Ceará
Amazing game considering the time of development which was a little less than 3 years. The problems are definitely because of time constraints, the decision at the end was cool but not earned and blurried the canon, not a good look.

Gears 6 should have more time in the oven. Give the coalition the time 343 had for Halo Infinite please.

OP
OP
Detective Pidgey

Detective Pidgey

Alt Account
Banned
Jun 4, 2019
It feels rushed to me. I feel Rod has great ideas, but halfway through production, he is forced to rush through them. The first Act really felt fleshed out. The story was building up. Then in Act 2, the main story was dropped. As you said, Act 4 was blink and you didn't see it type of Act.

I felt the same with Gears 4. The ending was so anticlimactic. I thought I had another act in G4, just like G5.

I truly hope Coalition gets around 4 years for G6. They truly need a perfect Gears.

Yes, exactly. The whole thing with Kait and the hivemind, was interesting for sure and then you barely ever heard or see about this again. Very odd.

Oct 27, 2017
Las Vegas
The strangest part to me is that if you look at the beginning of the game and the end...not that much really happened. It feels like a setup game for Gears 6 more so than Gears 4 did for 5.

They also just kind of did away with the Kait storyline for whatever reason. Like, you have some amazing set pieces and moments in act 2 and then it's all just kinda tossed aside with little to no narrative gain.

The Argus

Oct 28, 2017
I liked it but it definitely felt rushed. Act 3 just kinda brushed over all the character development from Act 2, put a bow on it, and then led to a way too short Act 4 that had that twist.

Act 2>>1>3>>>4

Definitely pumped for 5, idk how they're gonna account for the ending of 4 though.

Deleted member 16025

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I thought the best parts where when you were in the city, helping coordinate with other squads out there in the mix. The stuff out in the big open areas felt empty and was at times frustrating because the quest markers would keep directing me to areas where there was nothing to do.

When you're helping the Carmines, thats the best part right there. That's Gears of War in a nutshell. Great battles with lots of enemies and a handful of allies in the mix. Plus, those environments looked great. All the homes and public buildings had tons of detail and it felt a lot like the "destroyed beauty" of Gears 1.

They gotta go back to basics for 6 and lose the open-world stuff. Then they gotta fix Horde by making it playable offline again and dropping all this annoying class stuff that seems to ruin matchmaking. Gears 3 had it right where everyone could do everything and you could still pool your resources for things like the Silverback.

And yeah, I hated that end of game decision. It felt like it was there just to be there, sort of like when Army of Two 40th Day sprang it on you at the end of the game.

OP
OP
Detective Pidgey

Detective Pidgey

Alt Account
Banned
Jun 4, 2019
Amazing game considering the time of development which was a little less than 3 years. The problems are definitely because of time constraints, the decision at the end was cool but not earned and blurried the canon, not a good look.

Gears 6 should have more time in the oven. Give the coalition the time 343 had for Halo Infinite please.

Maybe they will actually get a lot more time this time around. This is just me assuming things, but Xbox has so many more studios than they've ever had. There shouldn't be a rush to get this out, not as much as before. I hope this is the case.

Kerotan

Banned
Oct 31, 2018

I can't see them giving longer with their new service/gamepass approach. To support a subscription model they're going to want more games coming at a faster rate.

Shambala

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I enjoyed it. But the story felt so damn rushed. Especially the choice 😒. I didn't care for either of the characters. So damn under developed..

Dabi3

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It felt like The Coalition took several half-measures throughout the game. The open world areas, choices, rpg upgrades are all new additions but they aren't baked-in enough. Though since it's Gears, it'll get a pass.

DidactBRHU3

Oct 17, 2019
Fortaleza - Ceará
I can't see them giving longer with their new service/gamepass approach. To support a subscription model they're going to want more games coming at a faster rate.
I see your point, but MS needs some BIG games to stand out from the crowd to promote their service and have smaller games like Grounded and Bleeding Edge to fill the gaps. Gears is still a big IP and should be treated accordingly.

elenarie

Game Developer
Verified
Jun 10, 2018
When all is said and done, I think it's time for a break from Gears and have them work on something different. That is of course if they want this themselves as well. It's clear we're getting Gears 6 first though.

I feel like we will be getting Gears 6 first. And perhaps that will offer the end of the current story, with the studio afterwards being open to focusing on something else. Gears 5 clearly indicates that things are not over, and that it sort of builds up for the ultimate battle that is yet to come.

SunBroDave

Oct 25, 2017
I too was very disappointed overall with the game. It showed so much promise in Act 1, and even the first half of Act 2 which was different was still good, but they really just made good on none of what they set up, and overall both the gameplay and the story became more and more of a letdown as the game went on

Aug 26, 2018
I just finished the campaign after I had taken a long break (I blame me going back to Witcher 3 on that) and while I absolutely enjoyed it and would place it above Gears 4, it never really blew me away when it comes to things happening in the game.

Great visuals and lovely 60fps (with very, very rarely a brief part where I noticed drops) but I can also see where the visuals got sacrificed. Mostly in the big open area/world parts, especially in act 3 where I honestly wasn't too impressed with the visuals, until I got to the linear/small corridor parts again.

But none of that is a huge deal, what I do find a big deal is that it starts off so nicely and ends so abruptly almost. It starts off great and the second act has a great location as well, but for some reason act 3 just didn't do much for me and chapter 4 is barely a chapter at all, it's a boss fight.

Then comes act 4 and this was great and I wanted so much more of this. And then it turns out there are only two chapters here, why?!!! And even worse, there's not even a fifth act? I'm sad to say but it feels like this was rushed a little.

When I hear people say the game was long enough, I bet they include the side missions with it, which in my opinion really don't add much at all. If you exclude the secondary missions, I think the game would be around Gears 4 length or shorter? It's just a shame, I wanted so much more of this.

Gears 5 shines when it's doing what it has always done. Linear chapters with tons of action but the open world stuff really didn't do much in the end, not for me. It was cool at first in the snow area, but not all that great in the desert.

Recently TC said they want to bring more of the open area/hubs back for Gears 6, right? For me honestly, they don't have to. Just give me the fantastic linear action it's known for or at least bring some life to these locations. Why not have some wildlife (both friendly and hostile) there? Why not have some swarm piloting vehicles of their own, giving you chase and have fun vehicle battles like for example Borderlands?

Nice write up. I know I will make many upset but having played it.."I felt they went far, not far enough".

1. Didn't realize the full potential of the RPG Elements

2. Open World Hubs are empty and barren. Could have had side quests for those interested ike Shadow of the Tomb Raider

3. Lack of a Memorable Boss like RAAM

4. Weather Elements are basically placeholders. Could have played a much bigger role in terms of Skiff mechanics, combat missions etc.

Gears 6 is where we will see all these elements fully play out I think.

jacks81x

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
NYC
I enjoyed the gameplay and the MP, but I stopped caring about the story after Gears 3. And nothing in Gears 4 or Gears 5 really changed that.

RingRang

Alt account banned
Banned
Oct 2, 2019
I got distracted a few hours in and haven't returned, and honestly hearing how boring the open areas are isn't helping me garner the motivation to go back and finish it.

SnatcherHunter

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017

Pancracio17

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Game was great, but I agree that it couldve gone for longer. That sequel bait ending wasnt unexpected going by Gears 4 but I wished it wouldve wrapped up more neatly.
Pretty sure this is exactly why they bought all those new studios.

Kinthey

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah that there's no fifth act really caught me off guard. It's a great campaign but I would have liked it to be longer and move the story further

m23

Oct 25, 2017
I really enjoyed it and it's probably now in my top 3 in the series. It did end a bit abruptly though.

Prine

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Finding it to be spectacular tbh. Biggest change to Gears since I've been playing, that's mainly to do with Jack and the improved A.I. Each skirmish isn't a full on attack against me, love picking out enemies, using Jack to lay traps, the ammo management being tweaked where you have to use Jack on higher difficulties to fetch items. Has given the gunplay a breath of fresh air. I adore it. Looking forward to see them flesh out these ideas for 6.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Detective Pidgey

Detective Pidgey

Alt Account
Banned
Jun 4, 2019
Finding it to be spectacular tbh. Biggest change to Gears since I've been playing, that's mainly to do with Jack and the improved A.I. Each skirmish isn't a full on attack against me, love picking out enemies, using Jack to lay traps, the ammo management being tweaked where you have to use Jack on higher difficulties to fetch items has given the gunplay a new coat of paint. I adore it.

Spectacular? Damn, honestly it's not nearing the greatness that was Gears 1 - 3 for me, those were truly special I felt.

But A.I.? I totally forgot about that, I assume you don't mean the partner A.I. Right? Because Jesus christ, the many times Del saw me lying on the ground in need of help, the fucker saying "coming" and he never did a damn thing. Or how teammates just stand there not shooting at baddies at all. I honestly don't see any improvement here at all.

Classicrock78

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
San Antonio
Very highly doubtful! Am surprised the game online still has many issues. They have a lot of work to do.
There really should, because this just didn't feel like the ending (so far) of the game. Had they added two more chapters for act 4 I already would have been ok with it, because I really enjoyed act 4.

I don't think they will bring it though.
Aww that sucks I agree the story needed a few more chapters thanks.

SpokkX

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I thought it was kind of fun at first... it just runs out of steam and story somewhere in chapter 2

chapter 3 was boring. Was about to quit in it. Chapter 4 was thankfully short - just wanted it to end at that point

it was, at most, an ok game. Just felt uninspired overall

Garrett 2U

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah the ending is pretty unfortunate. It was pretty clearly rushed, compared to the rest of the game.

Deleted member 5764

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Strangely, I felt like the final Act was the perfect length. I guess I could see why people wanted more, but for me it felt perfect.

Act III though... They could have cut that in half and it would still be too long for my tastes. I almost gave up on finishing the game because Act III felt so drawn out.

In hindsight, I was probably ok with Act IV's length due to how bloated 3 felt.

Oct 25, 2017
Act 3 was basically Act 2 again but with a different climate. Can't believe people are saying the game is short, if anything I found it too long.

Prine

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Spectacular? Damn, honestly it's not nearing the greatness that was Gears 1 - 3 for me, those were truly special I felt.

But A.I.? I totally forgot about that, I assume you don't mean the partner A.I. Right? Because Jesus christ, the many times Del saw me lying on the ground in need of help, the fucker saying "coming" and he never did a damn thing. Or how teammates just stand there not shooting at baddies at all. I honestly don't see any improvement here at all.

No not partner A.I lol. Del is a prat most of the times. But the Warden + grunts, they feel so ...human, or shall I say balanced, I simply love the variety of enemies being thrown at me, the inventive scenarios, the UI changes enriching feedback from you weapons, whereas Gears 1-3 I often never felt much satisfaction from shooting more of the tougher enemies, they felt like bullet sponges. I just finished Gears 3 before playing 5 so it's fresh in my mind. Granted in just on Act 3, but I'm loving it so much. ATM 5 > 2> 3> >4 >1

Karateka

Oct 28, 2017
Kait is her own character and it made no sense for the player to make a decision like that for her. It also screws up so much expanded media stuff unless they set a canon choice that their was no point in having it to begin with. Gears is not mass effect.

Tibarn

Oct 31, 2017
Barcelona
I mostly agree yeah, I felt that after Act 2 the game goes downhill really hard.

I expected something more like Gears 2, but 5 has a lack of good setpieces, bosses and big actions moments. I get that the resources were used for the optional content, but I would have enjoyed it far more if it was linear and had bigger action moments. Gunplay, the mech and the weapons were really good though, the game feels really good to play.

painey

Oct 27, 2017
I have found that playing Gears on the easiest difficulty makes a shitty campaign a lot less shitty. There's no substance and no depth to the single player. It hasn't come anywhere forward in a decade and 2 developers. When you switch it to easy and play through quickly at a fast pace you forgive it for so many of its flaws.

OP
OP
Detective Pidgey

Detective Pidgey

Alt Account
Banned
Jun 4, 2019
I mostly agree yeah, I felt that after Act 2 the game goes downhill really hard.

I expected something more like Gears 2, but 5 has a lack of good setpieces, bosses and big actions moments. I get that the resources were used for the optional content, but I would have enjoyed it far more if it was linear and had bigger action moments. Gunplay, the mech and the weapons were really good though, the game feels really good to play.

Sadly it seems they will give a big focus on open world parts for 6 if what they recently said is anything to go by. I'm ok with it if they make those areas interesting which really shouldn't be too hard.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
The campaign was a solid 8/10 for me. Very good but not spectacular.

It feels like direction of the game changed halfway through development, like they suddenly got a budget boost and weren't sure how to adapt their original ideas to take advantage of it. At least the next Gears game will enjoy development as part of the "new Xbox" division from the start.

DidactBRHU3

Oct 17, 2019
Fortaleza - Ceará
I have found that playing Gears on the easiest difficulty makes a shitty campaign a lot less shitty. There's no substance and no depth to the single player. It hasn't come anywhere forward in a decade and 2 developers. When you switch it to easy and play through quickly at a fast pace you forgive it for so many of its flaws.
I disagree, the game on the difficulty just below insane is the way to go, very similar to heroic in Halo. You really need to play the weapons available correctly to survive. The relic weapons that you can store on the skiff are far more important and the upgrades to Jack matter way more. It's a whole different beast and is amazing.

OP
OP
Detective Pidgey

Detective Pidgey

Alt Account
Banned
Jun 4, 2019
I disagree, the game on the difficulty just below insane is the way to go, very similar to heroic in Halo. You really need to play the weapons available correctly to survive. The relic weapons that you can store on the skiff are far more important and the upgrades to Jack matter way more. It's a whole different beast and is amazing.

Personally I changed from experienced to intermediate when act 3 started. Some parts in act 2 had annoyed me greatly and I find that lately I just don't have the patience for a real challenge. I'm not afraid to admit that. I used to always welcome a real challenge but just not right now.

Tibarn

Oct 31, 2017
Barcelona
Sadly it seems they will give a big focus on open world parts for 6 if what they recently said is anything to go by. I'm ok with it if they make those areas interesting which really shouldn't be too hard.
Yeah it's an industry problem sadly. All AAA games need to have lots of content, at least X hours of SP, optional sidequests... It works for some of them, but I prefer the focused, linial and well-paced Gears 1-3. 4 was a bit slow and had almost no new elements, and I felt like it was the prologue for something bigger and epic... to later find a game with 2 slow open-world acts, a final boss that was really disappointing and a lack of epic setpieces. The new mechanics/weapons and UI improvements are amazing though.

nullref

Oct 27, 2017
I do feel like the improvement over Gears 4 was overblown. Which is fine—I enjoyed 4, and I enjoyed 5. But I don't know if I'd put some huge gap between them. The Jack stuff was a smart addition. But I think the "open world" aspect is mostly an example of the kind of superficial "depth" devs sometimes add to games to help with marketing and to make players feel like they've added some meaningful scope or complexity to the game, when they really haven't.

Sep 21, 2019
It's a good game but very much feels like a middle chapter. It ends SO abruptly with no main boss fight or really any climax at all.

When it was over, I was like.....???