• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

onibirdo

Dec 9, 2020
I'm amazed you would prefer the PS above the Xbox controller.
Aligned sticks are the worst thing ever.

plow

Oct 28, 2017

As a mainly Playstation User i could never get used to anything else. If you use a specific D-PAD design for +20 Years, it's difficult to get used or appreciate anything else.

Javier23

Oct 28, 2017
I dunno, I feel like this is always a matter of what you're used to. I find it inevitable that when you switch controller types after a good long while it's gonna suck for a bit no matter what.

Boomchil

Nov 1, 2017
France
I hate the PlayStation stick layout with a passion, but the XSX controller is so clicky/noisy that I still prefer to play multiplat on my PS5.

craven68

Jun 20, 2018
I m not lying , i don't like at all the dual sense. There are some great Rumble but it doesn't look premium etc...( Not better than the série x controller , and i love the élite 2.

About ui, for me, the ps5 one is way more pretty but at usage, i prefer the Xbox one.

Fan noise , my ps5 make so much noise that i don't want to play on it , and it kinda make me crazy that every Time i want to put it on sleep mode , the console crash and tell me the next Time that i didn't shut it down like i should have hahaha

In the end, i like to play on both even if my ps5 is more for exclusive , my série x for multiplat ( and gamepass) and my pc for ray tracing games. ( With dlss ). Maybe i m going to pick more game on Steam because of the Steam deck

Deleted member 22750

Oct 28, 2017
You will get used to controller

And like it

APOEERA

Oct 26, 2017
Having gotten a Series X after skipping the Xbox One (due to the 360 RROD fiasco/lack of innovation late gen), I like what I see. My criticisms are this:

- Achievements are utterly meaningless. You can have 10,000 GS and it can be either 10 complete games or enough games to add up to 10,000 GS.
- GamePass isn't as robust as I thought it would be. I personally think GamePass should be the ENTIRE Xbox library. Obviously Microsoft won't ever do something like that but maybe they could do time trials for the entire library through GamePass.
- I don't like games dropping off GamePass at set times. If I cared more about achievements and not wanting to buy games, it's essentially a forced server shutdown (which has plagued trophy hunters since PS3 days) for a game leaving the service. PS+ does have an advantage where you still have access as long as you are subscribed to PS+ (which I still do, all the way back to PS3 days).
- Having to download games from GamePass and not just play it instantly. You just as well buy the game at that point.
- I have small hands (for a guy) and I think the analog sticks are too small for me. I guess I'm too used to PlayStation DualShock 3/4/DualSense and how those controllers feel. It is a sturdy controller (although I find having to buy batteries to be annoying).
- None of my region free import 360 games work on my Series X. And some of my library on 360 just doesn't work (like the XNA Indie games and War of the Worlds, which I'm glad that one doesn't).
- Xbox's library isn't quite as deep with Japanese games getting US releases as it is on PlayStation. Beyond that, both libraries are about the same.
- Microsoft still hasn't addressed the criticism that they are stagnant with their first party games (Halo, Gears, Forza can only go so far). I wish they would have their "The Last of Us" or their "Horizon: Zero Dawn" or "God of War (2018)" or even their "Death Stranding." Not something that copies from those games at all, but something that's unique to Microsoft and stands alongside Halo/Gears/Forza.

What I like:
- GamePass has Cloud Gaming!! Honestly, when it's available it's quite cool. The only drawback is if you do Quick Resume, you will have to restart.
- I missed out on a lot of Xbox One games and honestly there were quality games from that gen. Sunset Overdrive, Quantum Break, Dead Rising 3, Ori & The Blind Forest, Recore and Gears of War 4 among others.
- I like being able to try a lot of games on GamePass. I played MLB The Show 22 on GamePass and really enjoyed it - I ended up getting it on PS5 (since to me, MLB The Show is a PlayStation game).
- Forza Horizon 4 & 5 are just freaking gorgeous.
- Microsoft did get it right with their library being backwards compatible, all the way to some Xbox games. I wish the entire Xbox/Xbox 360 libraries were backwards compatible, but that would be impossible to do.
- I actually like their store layout. PlayStation seems to just throw the entire library at you all at once, which is overwhelming.
- I mainly bought my Series X for Starfield (which I'll get a physical copy so I'm not beholden to GamePass for that).
- Microsoft's sales are about equal to PlayStation for me although finding Xbox One games on sale more frequently is nice.
- Glad Microsoft moved away from Kinect (although I may get one soon so I can do Kinect Sports & Kinect Star Wars for cheap).
- Holy shit is the Series X so much quieter and takes up less space. PS4 sounds like a jet engine when the system fan has to do work and PS5 is just too bulky.

D.Dragoon

Mar 2, 2018
Obviously Microsoft won't ever do something like that but maybe they could do time trials for the entire library through GamePass.
Microsoft can't do that either because that is up to the publishers of the games.
PS+ does have an advantage where you still have access as long as you are subscribed to PS+ (which I still do, all the way back to PS3 days).
You are comparing two different things. PS+ games is the same as Games with Gold (xbox) not gamepass.

Edward850

Software & Netcode Engineer at Nightdive Studios
Verified
Apr 5, 2019
New Zealand
If I recall correctly I don't think Quick Resume is actually possible on PC/PS5 due to the way the Xbox OS functions (correct me if my understanding or reasoning is wrong) - games on Xbox run in a virtual machine and when they get suspended a save state of the game is created (in a similar vein to emulation).
Semantics, but It's not a virtual machine, rather a hypervisor. The difference is a virtual machine emulates hardware, while a hypervisor is a sandboxed environment running it's own OS but is otherwise still running all the hardware natively.

But yes that's basically what's up. The Xbox just suspends the whole HV memory/execution state to disk and then loads it back in when resuming. Desktop Windows doesn't have anything like that, and can't with the current way it does drivers and Win32 compatibility.

Although less eco-friendly, and I hate to admit it, but I love that I can just swap batteries on the XSX controller.
The Xbox battery is modular, you don't need to be using AAs at all if you don't want to: https://www.xbox.com/en-NZ/accessories/batteries-chargers/play-and-charge-kit
Or use eneloops. The power of choice and serviceable parts is yours.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Funny, I used to not care, but despite starting with Xbox's layout back with OG Xbox, I now prefer PlayStation.

Not trying to discount your own perspective, but let me offer a reason why I now firmly prefer PS style.

I've been playing a lot of Elden Ring recently. Whenever I'm in an intense fight and have to quickly change items with the dpad, I can keep moving/strafing in whatever direction I want while doing so, because I can just use my right thumb on the left stick for the second or so it takes to press the dpad. (Certainly helps to have dodge on right trigger instead of B/Circle as well.)

This saved my butt probably 10 times today at least (was really banging my head against Margit). I don't think I could ever prefer using the XB style for a Soulslike now. That's the only genre I have a strong preference for this for, but I'm sure DMC5 would be a bit awkward too.

Anyways, that's just my reasoning.

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
It took me two systems (Xbox One S and then the Xbox Series S) to finally get used to the Xbox interface. I blame it on being used to the PS4 interface, which now seems so bad in comparison. My only gripe is the dedicated ad space.

digitalrelic

Weight Loss Champion 2018: Biggest Change
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Having gotten a Series X after skipping the Xbox One (due to the 360 RROD fiasco/lack of innovation late gen), I like what I see. My criticisms are this:

- Achievements are utterly meaningless. You can have 10,000 GS and it can be either 10 complete games or enough games to add up to 10,000 GS.
- GamePass isn't as robust as I thought it would be. I personally think GamePass should be the ENTIRE Xbox library. Obviously Microsoft won't ever do something like that but maybe they could do time trials for the entire library through GamePass.
- I don't like games dropping off GamePass at set times. If I cared more about achievements and not wanting to buy games, it's essentially a forced server shutdown (which has plagued trophy hunters since PS3 days) for a game leaving the service. PS+ does have an advantage where you still have access as long as you are subscribed to PS+ (which I still do, all the way back to PS3 days).
- Having to download games from GamePass and not just play it instantly. You just as well buy the game at that point.
- I have small hands (for a guy) and I think the analog sticks are too small for me. I guess I'm too used to PlayStation DualShock 3/4/DualSense and how those controllers feel. It is a sturdy controller (although I find having to buy batteries to be annoying).
- None of my region free import 360 games work on my Series X. And some of my library on 360 just doesn't work (like the XNA Indie games and War of the Worlds, which I'm glad that one doesn't).
- Xbox's library isn't quite as deep with Japanese games getting US releases as it is on PlayStation. Beyond that, both libraries are about the same.
- Microsoft still hasn't addressed the criticism that they are stagnant with their first party games (Halo, Gears, Forza can only go so far). I wish they would have their "The Last of Us" or their "Horizon: Zero Dawn" or "God of War (2018)" or even their "Death Stranding." Not something that copies from those games at all, but something that's unique to Microsoft and stands alongside Halo/Gears/Forza.

What I like:
- GamePass has Cloud Gaming!! Honestly, when it's available it's quite cool. The only drawback is if you do Quick Resume, you will have to restart.
- I missed out on a lot of Xbox One games and honestly there were quality games from that gen. Sunset Overdrive, Quantum Break, Dead Rising 3, Ori & The Blind Forest, Recore and Gears of War 4 among others.
- I like being able to try a lot of games on GamePass. I played MLB The Show 22 on GamePass and really enjoyed it - I ended up getting it on PS5 (since to me, MLB The Show is a PlayStation game).
- Forza Horizon 4 & 5 are just freaking gorgeous.
- Microsoft did get it right with their library being backwards compatible, all the way to some Xbox games. I wish the entire Xbox/Xbox 360 libraries were backwards compatible, but that would be impossible to do.
- I actually like their store layout. PlayStation seems to just throw the entire library at you all at once, which is overwhelming.
- I mainly bought my Series X for Starfield (which I'll get a physical copy so I'm not beholden to GamePass for that).
- Microsoft's sales are about equal to PlayStation for me although finding Xbox One games on sale more frequently is nice.
- Glad Microsoft moved away from Kinect (although I may get one soon so I can do Kinect Sports & Kinect Star Wars for cheap).
- Holy shit is the Series X so much quieter and takes up less space. PS4 sounds like a jet engine when the system fan has to do work and PS5 is just too bulky.

Not sure how they makes Achievements meaningless? You get 1,000 GS if you complete every achievement in a game. It's a "perfect" Gamerscore. Of course, if you aren't a completionist you won't get as many points and it'll take longer for your Gamescore to add up.

--------

Are you saying, like, every single title available on Xbox, 3rd party included? That's absolutely impossible and will never happen.

--------

You can
play many Game Pass game instantly, right through your Xbox, with xCloud. And I'm sorry but saying you might as well pay $60 for a game because you have to download it makes exactly zero sense.

--------

They've addressed that criticism by creating new studios like The Initiative, bolstering studios they already had, acquiring a fuck ton of new AAA devs/studios, and announcing several major titles like Hellblade II, Avowed, Starfield, Fable, Perfect Dark, Everwild, Elder Scrolls VI, etc.. etc.. Not to mention that Xbox Game Studios released the most high scoring AAA games out of any publisher last year. Games take a long time to make, but clearly Microsoft has taken a huge amount of action towards fixing their past 1st party problems.

meenseen84

Feb 15, 2018
Minneapolis
Suggestions for the UI.

Overall, it's very customizable. Use the guide often and organize your preferences left to right. You really don't need to go home for much, if anything.

Also, if you are at home you can hit Y and this will pull up a search that you can type a couple letters in.

Over time you will find it's not so bad but just different.

APOEERA

Oct 26, 2017

Not sure how they makes Achievements meaningless? You get 1,000 GS if you complete every achievement in a game. It's a "perfect" Gamerscore. Of course, if you aren't a completionist you won't get as many points and it'll take longer for your Gamescore to add up.

--------

Are you saying, like, every single title available on Xbox, 3rd party included? That's absolutely impossible and will never happen.

--------

You can
play many Game Pass game instantly, right through your Xbox, with xCloud. And I'm sorry but saying you might as well pay $60 for a game because you have to download it makes exactly zero sense.

--------

They've addressed that criticism by creating new studios like The Initiative, bolstering studios they already had, acquiring a fuck ton of new AAA devs/studios, and announcing several major titles like Hellblade II, Avowed, Starfield, Fable, Perfect Dark, Everwild, Elder Scrolls VI, etc.. etc.. Not to mention that Xbox Game Studios released the most high scoring AAA games out of any publisher last year. Games take a long time to make, but clearly Microsoft has taken a huge amount of action towards fixing their past 1st party problems.

1) That's largely my point with achievements being meaningless. A completionist will get 1,000 GS (minus any DLC achievements added) and it's an accomplishment to have 10 games completed that way. Whereas someone who doesn't care about achievements will take longer but will eventually get to 10,000 GS.
2) I'm (and admittedly unrealistically) thinking there would be more with GamePass and almost the entire library. There's still a lot and still more than physically capable of being played to 100%. I wish it was still the entire Microsoft/third party library and I know that's not possible.
3) What I'm talking about with downloading with GamePass is this: You download the game and the game leaves the GamePass service (which is bound to happen). You go back to the game and the game is no longer accessible. If it's something that you wanted to play but due to lack of time, you just as well buy it whenever it's on sale or whenever you feel like it.
4) I understand that Microsoft has addressed it - but I honestly foresee what they are doing to be out in three to five years. And quite a few you mentioned are in danger of being vaporware (except for Starfield, are any of them coming out in 2022, much less 2023)?

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
UI will grow on you. It's a breeze after that.

Bradbatross

Mar 17, 2018
1) That's largely my point with achievements being meaningless. A completionist will get 1,000 GS (minus any DLC achievements added) and it's an accomplishment to have 10 games completed that way. Whereas someone who doesn't care about achievements will take longer but will eventually get to 10,000 GS.
2) I'm (and admittedly unrealistically) thinking there would be more with GamePass and almost the entire library. There's still a lot and still more than physically capable of being played to 100%. I wish it was still the entire Microsoft/third party library and I know that's not possible.
3) What I'm talking about with downloading with GamePass is this: You download the game and the game leaves the GamePass service (which is bound to happen). You go back to the game and the game is no longer accessible. If it's something that you wanted to play but due to lack of time, you just as well buy it whenever it's on sale or whenever you feel like it.
4) I understand that Microsoft has addressed it - but I honestly foresee what they are doing to be out in three to five years. And quite a few you mentioned are in danger of being vaporware (except for Starfield, are any of them coming out in 2022, much less 2023)?
2023 is expected to be a pretty big year for Xbox releases and every year after that will be the same. You won't have to wait 3 to 5 years, and as you mentioned we're getting a massive new sci fi RPG at the end of this year along with Redfall, and probably Forza and maybe some other surprises.

Rndom Grenadez

Prophet of Truth
Dec 7, 2017
I honestly don't understand why everyone finds the Xbox UI so terrible. Literally just pin the games you are currently playing and as soon as the console boots up pull the trigger once and you're at your pins.

degauss

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Your post made me mostly nod in agreement. Xbox Series X is definitely a third console to me. I dunno if I'll keep it long term, but it's been an interesting experience owning it. I prefer PS5 for AAA games and Switch for indies. I don't get as much value from gamepass as some.

An approximate conversion I've had several times on Xbox Party chat with people....

"press the button with the 3 squares on it"..."which one is that, ok... ok that didn't do what i need"... "sorry i meant 3 lines, press that button" "the lines one on the right?" "sorry, yes, it's the one on the right hand side near the face buttons with the lines"

This is talking to people who's primary platform is Xbox too. So your point on this aspect of the controller rings true for me. MS found a way to make it worse than a basic start/select, while the other 2 companies either improved on start/select (or at least didn't make it worse, or less intuitive)

Also agree that the controller is basic and meh next to the dualsense. Zero innovation, no gyro, no rechargeable battery, no haptics, no trigger tension, no touchpad, no mic, no speaker... and barely any cheaper... smacks of Microsoft cost cutting and doing the absolute bare minimum while Sony really try to bring the best they can as the 'default interface' no matter the cost.

Speaking of interface, PS5's is far from perfect but I went running back to it and appreciating it after I first got hit with that 1080p SDR green buggy, ugly thing on Series X versus the gorgeous 4k HDR morphing PS5 interface with it's soothing sounds that takes on the sights and sounds of the game you hover over. Since I got a giant OLED I notice this even more.

Xbox in comparison is - "where are my games" "why is this a big internet explorer mess of crap by default" "why do i get errors doing basic shit like launching a game"... several times I've had an error from launching from the home screen, and had to dig into my game library or whatever, and launch the game from there instead. Just weird shit. People will tell you to start using/pinning different "games/apps" and make the interface work better for your games... eh, friction, switch/PS simply do the basics things better.

Quick resume - I dunno, when we are loading games in 5 seconds anyway, when more and more games have deep multiplayer online integration which seems to "break" every time you try to resume it from quick resume (Halo Infinite, etc), it seems like a minor win. I have literally never been back on PS5, waiting for a game to load and thought "i wish i had quick resume", and I dunno what swathe of games people are playing that aren't either indy games that load instantly, or online games that break via quick resume... it's a really niche win over simply not having quick resume.

Last edited:

Kongroo

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Ottawa, Ontario, CA
Agree with almost everything OP said. I got a Series X last year and while I really enjoy it, the UI is abysmal. It's the worst UI I've used in the past 10 years. absolutely terrible. Even the Switch is better.

Yahsper

Oct 29, 2017
Honestly don't get the Achievements criticism. I vastly prefer them over Trophies, which I can't bring myself to care about.

I'm not a completionist, but I do like how the gamerscore for a game gives an indication of how far I am in the game. If I have a score of 300/1000 or 800/1000, it's pretty clear that there's still more to do (if they're sensible achievements at least).

So I also don't care about if someone earned their 10k Gamerscore by getting 10x 1000 or 33x300. It's not worse to have sampled many games and only play the ones you really liked. It's still a good overall indicator of your gaming activity.

May 14, 2021
PS5 UI is such a huge step down from the PS4. And many of the changes appear to have been made just for change's sake. Series X allows me to basically create a UI I want versus forcing one on me, which is very much appreciated. Took me a few weeks to get that though.

digitalrelic

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
1. I guess I just view it differently. If you're a completionist, you'll be rewarded in that you'll have 5,000 GS by playing just 5 games. Whereas if you're not trying to get that 1,000 GS, it might take 10 or 15 or 20 games to reach that same score. And for me personally, I don't really care about comparing myself to others anyway. I just like seeing that GS score go up over the years. It's a nice little side motivator to complete games for me.

2. We both agree that it's unrealistic, so I guess there's not much to say here.

3. Good news with this is we've seen no precedence of any Xbox 1st party title ever leaving Game Pass. I think keeping all third party titles on Game Pass indefinitely is another one of those unrealistic expectations.

4. Per a leak of Microsoft's internal dates from Jeff Grubb, the following titles are intended to be released between now and the end of 2023:
  • Avowed
  • Fable
  • Perfect Dark
  • Everwild
  • Forza Motorsport
  • Redfall
  • Starfield
  • Hellblade 2
  • Contraband
  • InXile's next game
  • Compulsion's next game
  • The Coalition's next non-Gears project
I'm sure several others as well. Of course, some delays are probably fair to be expected.

Last edited:

Arukado

Oct 27, 2017
I had similar impressions with my series S, coming from the ps5:

- My issues with the controller were two: the lack of built in battery (had to buy the battery pack) and the dpad. The dpad is dreadful and the plastic part is some flimsy shit, so much in fact that the controller included with the console came defective and had to use my warranty. But if i'm being honest, the dualsense dpad is also bad in comparison with it's predecesors (but still functional).​
- The UI is a mess, with a lot of redundancy. Thankfully they made some adjustments and you can navigate it now by using lb/rb/triggers (functionality i wish Sony would also implement to go quickly to the library on ps5, for example), which allows you to get faster to certain sections like the screenshots gallery.​
You'll get used to it.​
- There is no comparison in sharing capabilities and implementation. It is super limited on xbox, and to top things out, the console deletes all your local videos and screenshots after a while, without permission.​

There were other issues, but they fixed them (like the lack of auto mute when using headphones), and i don't care for the stick positions or the differences between trophies and achievements.

Now, the biggest positive for me is not gamepass (because i mostly use it on pc), but the enhanced backwards compatibility: my most played game last year was a 360 game.

Astronomer

Aug 22, 2019

1) As a NON completionist, That's why I am currently enjoying the points: since I play so many different games, thanks to the gamepass, I'm more interested in unlocking so many points in a natural way without focusing on completing 100% a single game
Also, sometimes, for every point you'll gain a 1 reward point. For example 1000G are ~10/11€
3) Every 1st party title remain there, unlimited time (except racing due of licensing expiration policy). For the others, 1 year is the common period. If you aren't going to play a game after 1 year then, I suppose, you are not so interested in that specific game. But, simply, if you are late to the party and trying that game you understand that deserve you purchase then, before it leaves, you can have it with a fix discount
4) Actually, they are simple late with 1st party. But there are now a lot of teams, the future will be rich. About vaporware, let's hope not (maybe Rare's game...)

TKWarner

Feb 28, 2021
Agree with almost everything OP said. I got a Series X last year and while I really enjoy it, the UI is abysmal. It's the worst UI I've used in the past 10 years. absolutely terrible. Even the Switch is better.

I put everything into groups and simply navigate to each group from top to bottom with the triggers. I can't see that as being a mess to use. And the settings page is far more logically laid out compared to PlayStation settings page. That alone makes should make the Xbox UI easier to use.

Maybe you need to use more groups and pins on your homepage?

Kongroo

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Ottawa, Ontario, CA
I put everything into groups and simply navigate to each group from top to bottom with the triggers. I can't see that as being a mess to use. And the settings page is far more logically laid out compared to PlayStation settings page. That alone makes should make the Xbox UI easier to use.

Maybe you need to use more groups and pins on your homepage?

I think i'm just hard wired to only want the kind of OS that the ps4/switch/ps5 have. Just my games from left to right with nothing else unless i actively seek it.

Xbox UI has ads, movies, and just so much bullshit i don't want to see. Oh and separate listings for gamepass, store and games store. it's so confusing. I understand that it's customizable. But i also think it's unreasonable to expect consumers to customize and OS to make it somewhat usable.

I haven't had any issues with the Xbox settings page though, so you're right on that point for sure.

Bradbatross

Mar 17, 2018
I think i'm just hard wired to only want the kind of OS that the ps4/switch/ps5 have. Just my games from left to right with nothing else unless i actively seek it.

Xbox UI has ads, movies, and just so much bullshit i don't want to see. Oh and separate listings for gamepass, store and games store. it's so confusing. I understand that it's customizable. But i also think it's unreasonable to expect consumers to customize and OS to make it somewhat usable.
Why wouldn't there be separate listings for Game Pass and the store? They're two different things, that really shouldn't be confusing to you. It's all fairly simple to use, even if you don't want to customize at all. All your most recent games and apps are there at the top, and if whatever you're looking for isn't there you just click into My Games and Apps and find it...

Some of these complaints in this thread really feel like the "My grandma won't know the difference between One X and Series X" complaints...

ShapeGSX

Nov 13, 2017

Having a separate listing for gamepass games is a good thing.

The PS5's "here's a big ass list of games that you can filter and also includes VR games that you probably don't own the hardware for" is useless.

Kongroo

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Ottawa, Ontario, CA
Why wouldn't there be separate listings for Game Pass and the store? They're two different things, that really shouldn't be confusing to you. It's all fairly simple to use, even if you don't want to customize at all. All your most recent games and apps are there at the top, and if whatever you're looking for isn't there you just click into My Games and Apps and find it...

Some of these complaints in this thread really feel like the "My grandma won't know the difference between One X and Series X" complaints...

Me and a friend of mine both got a Series X around the same time. We've been doing a full Gears/Halo replay. And it's funny how we both constantly just complain about the OS for the first 5 minutes of each of our sessions. I only see love for it here. To me, it's the closest a UI has felt to "objectively" bad. It just has so many basic missteps.

I don't understand why anyone defends that clutter.

AzerPhire

Oct 25, 2017
I'm sorry but most of the people complaining about the UI sound the like kind of people who leave motion smoothing on on their TVs. The options to customize are there, you just have to use them. I would rather have more options to customize then be stuck with the very limited UI of both the PS5 and Switch.

TheYanger

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Always glad to see more folks getting past brand loyalty! This is the first gen since the PS2/GC/Xbox gen where I've truly felt like the machines are equals and both bring really great things to the table. Like, you can have one and be totally fine, and you can have both and they feel complimentary - I buy SLIGHTLY more games on my series X but not a ton.

Apr 6, 2022
From what I can tell xbox seems like a much better deal than Playstation. Between Gamepass, quick resume, free upgrades, potentially cheaper console etc. However, I like ps exclusives too much, so I went with the ps5. Spending over a grand for very similar consoles just isn't a smart financial idea for me right now, so I have to pick

Bradbatross

Mar 17, 2018
Me and a friend of mine both got a Series X around the same time. We've been doing a full Gears/Halo replay. And it's funny how we both constantly just complain about the OS for the first 5 minutes of each of our sessions. I only see love for it here. To me, it's the closest a UI has felt to "objectively" bad. It just has so many basic missteps.

I think people defend it because it's pretty easy to use and most people don't spend a lot of time on it.

TKWarner

Feb 28, 2021

What clutter? It takes me two clicks to get to my first group of games pinned down from the top (two taps of the triggers to go down).

I put the Store and Game Pass under my pinned apps and grouped games in a few lists at the top of the dashboard. I don't experience this clutter at all.

I click twice from a suspended state to get to my chosen group and then select a game that is often suspended by Quick Resume. It can take literally less than 10 seconds to get back to where I was in a game without even seeing the splash screen. That is gaming is luxury.

DuvalDevil

Nov 18, 2020

I absolutely love the current dashboard on Xbox and I personally feel like it is pretty much perfect.

Everything can be opened with one or two clicks, the dashboard makes sense and I find it visually pleasing. Plus the customization options and features are impressive.

After so many lackluster dashboard versions I really hope they stick with this one for years to come.

Firima

Oct 27, 2017
Not trying to discount your own perspective, but let me offer a reason why I now firmly prefer PS style.

I've been playing a lot of Elden Ring recently. Whenever I'm in an intense fight and have to quickly change items with the dpad, I can keep moving/strafing in whatever direction I want while doing so, because I can just use my right thumb on the left stick for the second or so it takes to press the dpad. (Certainly helps to have dodge on right trigger instead of B/Circle as well.)

I dont get it. On an Xbox controller, you can continue to move without switching your left thumb, and simply using your right hand to hit the closer d-pad, so you're only moving one hand as opposed to moving both, the way you described your PS controller experience.

digitalrelic

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
From what I can tell xbox seems like a much better deal than Playstation. Between Gamepass, quick resume, free upgrades, potentially cheaper console etc. However, I like ps exclusives too much, so I went with the ps5. Spending over a grand for very similar consoles just isn't a smart financial idea for me right now, so I have to pick
Don't forget Microsoft Rewards as well. I earn ~$20 in Xbox credit every month with MS Rewards. That's 4 full priced $60 games a year for free on top of what's already provided with Game Pass.

Between Game Pass and Microsoft Rewards, I play a ton of games and spend very, very little money to do so.

Jan 13, 2020
I will never understand people who prefer parallel sticks to offset. I always thought stories like this were exaggerated, but I picked up a PS4 controller the other day for the first time in years and my hand was genuinely cramping up within 5 minutes. Horrible.

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever
Sep 24, 2019
I will never understand people who prefer parallel sticks to offset. I always thought stories like this were exaggerated, but I picked up a PS4 controller the other day for the first time in years and my hand was genuinely cramping up within 5 minutes. Horrible.
I genuinely think that the only thing stopping Sony from switching to offset sticks is that their controller has an iconic design.

Oct 25, 2017
I dont get it. On an Xbox controller, you can continue to move without switching your left thumb, and simply using your right hand to hit the closer d-pad, so you're only moving one hand as opposed to moving both, the way you described your PS controller experience.
Hmm. Well perhaps I could work it that way too. To be honest I haven't contemplated that side of things since I've actually only played Soulslike games on Dual Shocks. Now that you mention it, it certainly could work the other way. In my defense I wrote that after staying up way too late in Elden Ring haha.

Edit: I guess part of the reason temporarily using the left stick with my right thumb makes sense to me is that I've naturally never used a dpad with my right thumb, whereas it has a lot of muscle memory using an analog stick so it seems somehow more natural to me. As I said though I didn't consider that angle so will admit your perspective makes sense too. Ultimately it's really just subjective it seems.

Hell Shinobi

Oct 27, 2017
I honestly don't understand why everyone finds the Xbox UI so terrible. Literally just pin the games you are currently playing and as soon as the console boots up pull the trigger once and you're at your pins.

How do you exactly do this? I have my console for almost a year and i don't know how to do this. It would be very helpful, sometimes my son plays on the console and leaves everything a damn mess...

Grips

Oct 5, 2020
Mainframe
My Series X has been gathering dust after taking a break from Halo.
But I know the big games are getting close so no stress.
Been clearing my backlog on ps5, lots of ps4 games that I missed out on.
I also enjoy DualSense way more than the xbox controller, and I've owned an Xbox console since 02.
Even the UI, the ps5 one just look more sleek in my living room than the boxy Xbox UI.
Thats just my personal feeling of course.

LightKiosk

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I genuinely think that the only thing stopping Sony from switching to offset sticks is that their controller has an iconic design.
Probably a bit of that and a bit of a good chunk of people do prefer the stick layout of the Playstation controller compared to the Xbox controller.

I've been using Xbox controllers for a while now on PC between the Xbox One controller and current Xbox Series controller but I still prefer the stick layout of the Playstation controller and how it naturally sits in my hand. If Sony ever switched to offset sticks I'd be super bummed out.

JYOUNG188

Nov 3, 2017
I got both and vastly prefer the series consoles, I have a X in the living room and an S in my bedroom. Dual sense wrecks my carpal tunnel, I find the Xbox controller a bit too loud and clicky but other than that its perfect for me. I can't stand the PS5 UI, they've gone downhill since the PS3 cross media bar as far as I'm concerned. I do prefer trophies for the platinum over xbox achievements but the rare achievement ding is damn good. As far as this gen I'm all in on Xbox and my PS5 is for exclusives. Both incredible consoles though, I barely touch my PC anymore.