• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 28, 2017
Skee Ball
Air Hockey
VR
Hoop it up
Bowling Game
Arcade Machine(s)

They basically want Dave and Busters in the basement. Granted we havent gone anywhere this summer so I got a few bucks saved up but damn. I thought this was going to be like nice chairs to play games in a some colorful lights. I'm surprised there was no bowling alley on the list.

Adulfzen

Oct 29, 2017
are they responsible enough to handle VR equipment with care ? Depending on what you're getting it can be quite pricey and also yeah it seems like a pretty expensive list unless you're loaded.

panama chief

Oct 27, 2017
as an adult working on buying a house next year, i have so far bought:

a ping-pong table
a pool table
a 1-up arcade machine.

all i need is the basement or space for it.

your kids are on the right track.

personal dream: a candy cab from Japan

MadLaughter

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Skee ball in your home?! Is that a thing?

Also there's probably an affordable way to get a pseudo arcade cabinet with a bunch of emulated stuff going. Arcade machines are a ton of maintenance

IntelliHeath

Oct 25, 2017
Skee Ball
Air Hockey
VR
Hoop it up
Bowling Game
Arcade Machine(s)

They basically want Dave and Busters in the basement. Granted we havent gone anywhere this summer so I got a few bucks saved up but damn. I thought this was going to be like nice chairs to play games in a some colorful lights. I'm surprised there was no bowling alley on the list.

Well, it's not a bad list but mostly expensive.

Well, you could have a project with your kids by making the arcade cabinet from scratch with some mods that could allows you to play some games (multiple games so you could save money by not buying multiple Arcade machines.)

I think I would stop with Hoop It Up, Air Hockey, Pool Table and Customized Arcade Machine. But I wouldn't lie about this so I would love to get Jurassic Park Pinball Machine for myself tho.

hypostatic

Oct 27, 2017
NYC
You don't have to get arcade-quality machines. You can do almost all of those on a budget of a few thousand dollars total with good quality machines designed for home use. Arcade1Up is obviously the first place to start: https://arcade1up.com/

Dest

Has seen more 10s than EA ever will
Coward
Jun 4, 2018
Work
yo i want a mvc2 cab while you're at it and a full bar and put a little cot down there i can crash on when i eventually drink myself to sleep thanks parental figure

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Make sure you get one of those games with the air cannons and the clowns

Deleted member 17388

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I hope they are not anime fans:
CtG0w3YVYAAP1dB

GenTask

Nov 15, 2017
Well you could knock it down to VR only, so they can play skee ball, air hockey, hoop it up, and bowling virtually (if there is a virtual game for those)

Jamie

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Counter with two Paddle balls and as for a VR replacment? May I recommend one of these
raw-1328272073.jpg

shadowhaxor

EIC of Theouterhaven
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Claymont, Delaware
Skee Ball
Air Hockey
VR
Hoop it up
Bowling Game
Arcade Machine(s)

Kudos for the kiddos, I like those ideas. Thankfully much of that isn't super expensive, including the arcade machines. The Arcade1ups are perfect for that and I just started on those myself with the 40th Anniversary Pac-Man.

As a dad, this summer stinks for our children.

OP
OP
Soapbox Killer
Oct 28, 2017
are they responsible enough to handle VR equipment with care ? Depending on what you're getting it can be quite pricey and also yeah it seems like a pretty expensive list unless you're loaded.

They have PSVR and so far so good but I guess they want one for the gameroom, the ps4 is in my oldest boys room

As for VR, get them a Nintendo Labo VR Kit!

did that, it's an Airplane now or somesuch.

which arcade machine(s)? and your kid has interest in non-digital games too which is a great balance.

Prolly just 1ups like they have at thier cousins house

Skee ball in your home?! Is that a thing?

Also there's probably an affordable way to get a pseudo arcade cabinet with a bunch of emulated stuff going. Arcade machines are a ton of maintenance

$379 aint really that bad
5d4b2270-1a3d-4241-8e6a-94bf4be8e3d0_1.25e1d5f7065996d2bce1c7a30dd55e19.jpeg

yo i want a mvc2 cab while you're at it and a full bar and put a little cot down there i can crash on when i eventually drink myself to sleep thanks parental figure

Well...I just finished another project you may be interested in?

No pinball machines? As a parent, I'd be disappointed. *hangs head*

That's the thing. I'm already getting a pinball machine for me so they knew not to ask for that which was already on the list.(Prolly that StarWars 1up arcade)

DeoGame

Dec 11, 2018
rayman_lifesize_leptys_statue_by_oldclassicgamer_d9mqex6-fullview.jpg

I'm not gonna lie, I've always wanted one of these statues and store display units for consoles.

So think of the children, and indulge my wishes so I can live vicariously through you! ;)

OP
OP
Soapbox Killer
Oct 28, 2017
I can be your son?....father?

Sure. Just do the dishes and sweep the front.

these kids are some damn fine negotiators already, you didn't even outright say no lol

I didn't know how deep the rabbit hole went.

Kudos for the kiddos, I like those ideas. Thankfully much of that isn't super expensive, including the arcade machines. The Arcade1ups are perfect for that and I just started on those myself with the 40th Anniversary Pac-Man.

As a dad, this summer stinks for our children.

It really does. No movies, No camp, No Beach, No swimming pools. We might go camping in the Poconos as that seems fairly safe but normally by this point we would been all over. So I have saved a couple a grand so you know....not their fault the world is shit. Plus they have a ton of cousin that come over all the that are in the same boat. I might just do it.

I have 6 kids by the way so even a trip to the movies is almost 2 hundy everytime we go.

Deleted member 9241

Oct 26, 2017
A 4 player MAME arcade cab and a virtual pinball cab shouldn't set you back too much if you build it yourself. I would keep an eye out on FB marketplace for the rest.

Bonfires Down

Nov 2, 2017
I feel like they might use each of those a few times and be done with it. Not denying that it would be pretty cool to have that stuff in the basement though.

Last edited:

Dache

Oct 25, 2017
UK
For the price of a couple of modded Arcade1Ups, you could get a larger 4-player MAME cabinet that plays significantly more and is simply nicer and less liable to fall apart. A virtual pinball cab could be great too.

That home Skee-Ball looks way better than it has any right to be. How big is the room you're trying to fill though?! Could you even fit everything they asked for plus a comfy TV + console + sofa setup in there?

Deleted member 8752

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
They have PSVR and so far so good but I guess they want one for the gameroom, the ps4 is in my oldest boys room

did that, it's an Airplane now or somesuch.

Prolly just 1ups like they have at thier cousins house

Well...I just finished another project you may be interested in?

That's the thing. I'm already getting a pinball machine for me so they knew not to ask for that which was already on the list.(Prolly that StarWars 1up arcade)
Looks cool actually.

OP
OP
Soapbox Killer
Oct 28, 2017
For the price of a couple of modded Arcade1Ups, you could get a larger 4-player MAME cabinet that plays significantly more and is simply nicer and less liable to fall apart. A virtual pinball cab could be great too.

That home Skee-Ball looks way better than it has any right to be. How big is the room you're trying to fill though?! Could you even fit everything they asked for plus a comfy TV + console + sofa setup in there?

They can have the entire basement. I have to segregate off the laundry and the water heater but it would still be plenty of space. We already have a couch, love seat and tv down there. The ceiling is low but plenty of room.

Oct 25, 2017
That looks far better than $379 has any right to. It might replace the dartboard as my next addition.

I fee like they might use each of those a few times each and be done with it. Not denying that it would be pretty cool to have that stuff in the basement though.
That's kind of been my experience. I've got a foosball table, air hockey, and an SF2 Arcade1Up cabinet. The kids love 'em for a week or so, then they fall in to disuse (by them, I still play 'em.)

Wow, I never thought I'd find the day where I'd say someone has great and terrible taste all in one picture.
Who puts their TV that far away from the couch?
Heathens, that's who.

OP
OP
Soapbox Killer
Oct 28, 2017

My aforementioned project
(Sorry for the terrible picture)
zGWoznM.jpg

Full Bar
Sony Soundsystem
(3) 15" Flat Screens connected to NEOGEO, SNES CLASSIC, PLAYSTATION VITA TV.
Love seat and Chair

My kids saw me do this and from then it was on and popping.

Also it's in the back of this
GetPhoto.ashx

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
If you love your kids you'll build this

If you don't love your kids then I guess your ex-wife's new boyfriend can put it in his basement.