• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Masterz1337

Oct 25, 2017
I think Endgame was a monumental achievement in filmmaking. Re-watching it now, I have complaints. I think certain scenes don't work as well as they should, they missed some chances to bring things full circle, and there are pacing issues.

But on opening day in the theater, I had the best moviegoing experience ever. I don't think I've ever been on the same wavelength with so many people. We were all jazzed up and yes there was cheering and shouts and crying. But it all felt like part of the game. We can debate the merits of Endgame as a movie, but that experience was wholly unique and should be celebrated by itself.
Perfectly said. I think there are better MCU movies, but the expierence of seeing it the first time or even again, is unlike anything else I've ever seen.

Oct 28, 2017
No director who is known for his/her critically acclaimed drama movies are suddenly going to be inspired by the 'by the numbers' mediocrity' like the MCU when they direct non comic book films. Its not like Denis Villeneuve or Scorsese or Spielberg are going to look at antman or this dud of a film for inspiration ( Thankfully)
For real. Can't believe this even needs to be stated

Nov 30, 2017
In my original post I specifically said this is a very specialized fan forum (as it houses many comic book fans) and one of the few places I still see discussion about this film. On the film forums I frequent nobody's talking about Endgame anymore.

And I was just wondering how big the impact of the MCU is eventually going to turn out to be. I'm sure there will be people in 20 years who were inspired by the MCU, but just how much I don't know as I don't see the same amount of buzz around the MCU as historically groundbreaking movies have had. It's very moment to moment with the MCU.

Because MCU movies aren't groundbreaking movies maybe?

They are more popculture phenomenon which will last as long as the kettle is hot. Once that is done, regular people will stop talking about them just like every other comic book movie in history.

Yasuke

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
No director who is known for his/her critically acclaimed drama movies are suddenly going to be inspired by the 'by the numbers' mediocrity' like the MCU when they direct non comic book films. Its not like Denis Villeneuve or Scorsese or Spielberg are going to look at antman or this dud of a film for inspiration ( Thankfully)

It's a good thing no one is talking about people who already make movies.

We're talking about the children who will grow up to. But that doesn't matter to you, as the bolded makes clear.

Kopite

Oct 28, 2017

We're talking about the children who will grow up to. But that doesn't matter to you, as the bolded makes clear.
I'm not sure anything from the MCU is going to be as influential as Star Wars or The Matrix, but maybe that's an impossibly high bar

Zero-ELEC

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
México
It's kinda dumb because most of them aren't even avengers but it still finds a way to work.
What makes an Avenger is not being part of the roster or being paid by Stark or living in the mansion/compound/tower.

What makes an Avenger is stepping out the door when shit doesn't make sense and doing something about it.

MgDR9LE.jpg

0CTYmOb.jpg

Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta GA
but just how much I don't know as I don't see the same amount of buzz around the MCU as historically groundbreaking movies have had.

The MCU is plenty groundbreaking, the thing is no one else has been able to successfully do what Marvel has done in terms of becoming a cultural touchstone with universe-based sequential storytelling. There are numerous examples of other studios attempting to create their own "cinematic universe" in the vein of Marvel Studios and they've all failed rather miserably.

So the impact on the rest of the industry may not be as apparent but it has had a profound impact within Disney and Marvel themselves, and it has at least inspired other studios to do what they're doing, they just suck at it.

Yasuke

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not sure anything from the MCU is going to be as influential as Star Wars or The Matrix, but maybe that's an impossibly high bar

If it inspires a kid to get into filmmaking, it's influential.

And hell, how many cinematic universes have tried and failed to be a thing based on the success of the franchise already?

JesseEwiak

Banned
Oct 31, 2017

Yup, yeah, Star Wars probably didn't effect Coppola or Scorcese.

But, basically every director under 50 talks about how Star Wars effected them, just like the whole next generation of directors will be shaped by the MCU, even if they don't make a single superhero movie.

Yasuke

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yup, yeah, Star Wars probably didn't effect Coppola or Scorcese.

But, basically every director under 50 talks about how Star Wars effected them, just like the whole next generation of directors will be shaped by the MCU, even if they don't make a single superhero movie.

And this is all anyone here was talking about.

Eugene's Axe

Jan 17, 2019
I have one question. First of all I don't know pretty much anything about these movies, actually I'm not too much into super heroes or comic books. The only ones I watched were the Xmen films but they went to shit.
So this weekend I watched IW and Endgame back to back and even though I didn't understand a lot of things on screen I really loved them, ewpecially the two final battles. Also this thread made me find out that the score was made by Alan Silvestri. I knew there was someone special behind that score. I love this man. Oh and I really loved Scarlet Witch. She's so badass.

So finally my question is, why is it such a big deal that Captain America is wielding the hammer? I often see that mentioned as a big moment but I don't know why.

FFNB

Associate Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
I don't know. Him screaming "ASSEMBLE!" not only would have felt incredibly cheesy, but it wouldn't have messed with where Cap was at mentally and physically in that moment. I think Evans made the right call.

Cap had just gotten beaten down by Thanos after wielding Mjolnir and giving him his best, Thanos' army was bearing down on him, and he was still gonna put up a fight, despite barely being able to tighten his broken shield around his wrist. He knew he wouldn't win, but he was sure as hell gonna take out as many of those fuckers as he could before he goes. Then he hears Sam's voice over the radio, and the portals open, and his allies come to his aid. His "Assemble" was perfectly delivered. The anger and determination in his voice sold it.

yelling is dramatic and all flash and no substance, but nothing puckers up your butthole more than when your parents come at you with a calm, measured voice like "you know you done fucked up, right?" Cap was doing that to Thanos. Lol yeah, it's often drowned out by the crowd reaction, but I still prefer it to a bombastic yell. That gritty determination in his voice really worked for me, personally.

Edit: it actually reminds me of Christopher Reeves', "General, why don't you step outside," from Superman 2. Not bombastic and over the top, but you felt that Supes was about to tear Zod a new one.

Last edited:

Beren

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
So finally my question is, why is it such a big deal that Captain America is wielding the hammer? I often see that mentioned as a big moment but I don't know why.
Because it means he's worthy, something that very, very few people are. And we've been waiting for Steve to become (or realize that he is) worthy. I'm glad you liked the films, but that moment is a culmination of three preceding Thor, Captain America, and Avengers films. Even if you understand why it's big, you're missing all of the character development, interactions, character dynamics, and plot points that make that moment special. The emotional beat of the moment is lost on you, even if you have a textbook understanding of what happened. You jumped into the two-part finale of a season finale, and the show has stopped caring if people have been following along or not.

Which is why Endgame is special. It's the result of 10 years of film storytelling.

Sheng Long

Oct 27, 2017
Earth
Even whispered, isn't he talking into the mic that most of them somehow have? We know Sam could hear him...he speaks to everyone asking about the ugly brown van through the mic...asks Carol for the Assist...just saying.

Not sure how Valkyrie etc had mics though.

Tuorom

Oct 30, 2017
I didn't like the delivery but it was also the wrong time to say it. Everyone is there already, it doesn't make sense and is too on the nose fan service.

It would have been more impactful if he called out for the avengers in the area to assemble when it looks like they're being beat. An act of desperation and stubborn courage, and then have Falcon call on your left and have that line up.

They had the perfect idea but they could have incorporated it better, in hindsight.

Only those worthy of the hammer may pick it up. You often see Thor use it on people as a paper weight and hold them down.
There were also moments of foreshadow to this moment. It's kinda a big deal because of how mythological the hammer is. It's a weapon of the gods!
ChiefInexperiencedGallowaycow-size_restricted.gif

From Avengers (2): Age of Ultron.

Last edited:

Eugene's Axe

Jan 17, 2019
Because it means he's worthy, something that very, very few people are. And we've been waiting for Steve to become (or realize that he is) worthy. I'm glad you liked the films, but that moment is a culmination of three preceding Thor, Captain America, and Avengers films. Even if you understand why it's big, you're missing all of the character development, interactions, character dynamics, and plot points that make that moment special. The emotional beat of the moment is lost on you, even if you have a textbook understanding of what happened. You jumped into the two-part finale of a season finale, and the show has stopped caring if people have been following along or not.

Which is why Endgame is special. It's the result of 10 years of film storytelling.
Thank you. And Tuorom

Last edited:

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I'd say sticking the landing to over 22 cumulative films is a feat not likely to be easily repeated in my lifetime.

Is the movie perfect? Hardly. But as others have said, as an EXPERIENCE, it struck all the right cords and it's going to be fondly remember for a very long time to come.

So many other studios tried and failed to make their own "cinematic universe", but Marvel did it, with every single one of their films being successful. That's insane... and they're STILL going.

wenis

Oct 25, 2017
It's pure fanservice but it doesn't go beyond that IMO. You cheer because of the characters being physically on screen together, not them as a team overcoming or doing the impossible. It sort of kills the hype knowing that is all it is. There just isn't a lot going on. It is effectively a Anime Music Video but with those generic epic music backgrounds. I was hoping for something as grand, epic, and ambitious as the Charge of the Rohirrim.
maybe for you.

subpar spatula

Refuses to Wash his Ass
Oct 26, 2017
It's quite clear it's just an absolute fanservice set. Like, the Ravagers show up en masse pretty fast for no apparent reason other than being another faction tied loosely to the Guardians. It's fine to like it, and it's also fine to want there to be more to it than just 20 minutes of fanservice.