• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
To steal a line from comics I thought it should be delivered with "a voice that could command gods....and does". But now I realized that was Cap at his purest, when (to paraphrase one of the GOAT modern lyricists) he stopped being on some good and evil shit, he is on some fucking you up shit. Cap being stone cold is the best, who else would start a plan with "Thor, I am going to need you to throw your hammer a across a solar system"
3367172-infinity%20004-025.jpg

3367173-infinity%20004-026.jpg

digitalrelic

Weight Loss Champion 2018: Biggest Change
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It was fine. It was as fan-servicey as you can possibly get and obviously no one could actually hear Cap with him practically whispering the line, but it was a fun moment.

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
Goosebumbs, it was obvious they were coming that but the hammer grab and portal visials made it

OP
OP
Slayven

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
But real talk falcons "On your left" makes me tear up every time.

Teh_Lurv

Oct 25, 2017
IIRC, the Russo Bros in the Endgame commentary weren't entirely happy with that line either. One of the brothers attended a theater opening night and realized the cheering completely drowned out Cap's delivery.

J_Viper

Oct 25, 2017
That whole moment was so perfectly built up and executed that it completely overshadowed how underwhelming the actual battle was

Common Knowledge

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
It was great.

The only real disappointment of that whole battle sequence was only about 20 seconds total of Thunder Cap.

-JD-

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
It wasn't the delivery, it was that placing it immediately after Cap catches Mjolnir pretty much guarantees that the audience's cheers will overwhelm "Assemble".

UnderSiege

Mar 5, 2019
IIRC, the Russo Bros in the Endgame commentary weren't entirely happy with that line either. One of the brothers attended a theater opening night and realized the cheering completely drowned out Cap's delivery.
They never say they weren't happy with that line. They just say you can't hear it because of the screaming. Eh, there's a lot you can't hear that way.

Cuburger

Oct 28, 2017
I've always thought the phrase would sound awkward as a battle cry or rallying cry in live-action, even if that is what fans want it to be.

It was fine as fan service for getting the phrase in, and really the moment just needed Cap to yell anything.

HustleBun

Nov 12, 2017
I get chills. I think I've rewatched it 20 times now.

In the theaters I had tears streaming down my cheeks and the biggest dumb little kid smile on my face throughout that entire portal sequence.

Not enough is said about Alan Silvestri's score during that sequence:

luca

Oct 25, 2017
It was fine. It was as fan-servicey as you can possibly get and obviously no one could actually hear Cap with him practically whispering the line, but it was a fun moment.
I thought he said it loud enough for Thor at his side to hear it. And when Thor heard it he started shouting which got everyone else moving.

UltraMav

Oct 25, 2017
I think it's more impactful knowing that Cap had said that multiple times, already. It's just the first time the audience got to hear it.

Oct 25, 2017

In the theaters I had tears streaming down my cheeks and the biggest dumb little kid smile on my face throughout that entire portal sequence.

same to all of it, except I've probably seen it at least 50 times. it's my favorite moment from any movie, ever

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
I didn't hate the line, just the delivery

Ahhh, still I liked the delivery too. It's not some godly voice like you were saying. It's some, "we're all tired, but let's fuck some shit up now" voice. I think that's what makes it land and not feel too cheesy.

EDIT:

These movies never make me tear up, and I'm a sap. But, this moment still makes me swell up. I critique the MCU hard, but to me the moment is like, "look at the majesty of what we've built in 10 years." It's a celebration. And, while I generally hate the self-masturbation within Endgame's time heist plot, this moment felt like the absolute correct way to masturbate at yourself.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
giphy.gif

I'm so curious as to how they think they can ever top this amount of pure unadulterated hype. Like, even the way he catches it is perfection.

Doggg

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 17, 2017

Yeah, I loved the music in that moment.

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I loved it because I actually predicted that was exactly how he'd say it lol

I knew it wasn't gonna be him screaming it in some corny fashion

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I wonder how many times they reshot that line and whether or not they talked at length about whether Cap was going to growl it out or scream it out. They built up to that moment for 10 years and were going to have one shot to make it stick.

The longer time goes on the more that entire sequence just feels so damn pitch perfect.

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
You should check out the audience reaction videos on youtube. It's great hearing people lose their shit at the big moments like this.

品川駅

Banned
Aug 15, 2019
Tokyo, Japan
I get what you mean but I REALLY HATE that he doesn't screams it.

It kinda ruins the whole scene because it is THE MOMENT and he should be screaming

PhoncipleBone

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Kentucky, USA
Slayven the real hype moment was him catching the fucking hammer before finishing the line. The line woulda hyped me up, but I was blinded by him CALLING THE FUCKING HAMMER BACK.

The Llama

Oct 27, 2017
I don't mind him saying it softly vs yelling it or whatever, I just feel like it doesn't actually make any sense there. Like... they've already assembled lmao

Khanimus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Greater Vancouver
You should check out the audience reaction videos on youtube. It's great hearing people lose their shit at the big moments like this.
It's why Endgame opening night may be my favorite theater-going experience. That ending, with people progressively losing their shit as this rollcall of superheroes steps out of the portals...

Then Cap drops the "Assemble", and everyone cheers.

Hearing people well-up as Tony gives Peter that hug, Scarlet Witch landing infront of Thanos and every knows she's gonna fuck him up, all the lasers starting to shoot into the sky as you can hear people slowly start to pick up on the fact that Carol is coming down to wreck shit.

Everyone in the room that night is just in on it together, and is just having this outpouring of complete catharsis in seeing this come together. God, that shit was great.

Aine

May 27, 2019
It was built up since AoU, and I felt it was earned. Nicely hype moment.

Rackham

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I didn't like it. As far as fanservice moments go, that one was the biggest camera wink. I felt like it didn't have a place in the film. Who is he talking to? Who can even hear him? It was bad. Loved the movie but that line was pretty bad.