• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Loxley

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Here's the flag (*update - better photo of the flag and turned it right-side-up):

LQC3VOy.jpg

So my grandfather Bill (who passed away over a decade ago) served with the US Army in the Pacific theater of WW2, specifically in the infantry. He took part in several battles, one of which was The Battle of Attu. The date my grandfather wrote in the bottom-right of the flag, May 11th, 1943, was the first day of the battle (it would last for another 20 days). He eventually managed to mail it home to my grandma, which is how we ended up with it.

My uncle, who was the one who has been holding onto the flag since my grandpa passed and just yesterday passed it down to me, didn't know much about it, nor exactly how my grandfather acquired it. Though I think it's pretty safe to assume he looted it off of a dead Japanese soldier - which, yeah, would be a war crime (*edit - though for all my family knows he could have traded another soldier for it, or won it in a game cards, we simply have no idea). That actually brings me to my first question...

After some quick research, it looks as though it may very-well be a Good Luck Flag. If that's the case, I'm really hoping there's some way of identifying who the original owner was. Is there any form of identification of the Japanese soldier who originally carried it written on here somewhere? His name? His rank?

Because thing is, as unique and interesting of a family keepsake as this is, if there was any way I could find out the name of the soldier who carried it, and whether or not he has any living family or descendants, I would very much like to give it back to them if it's even remotely possible. But hey, with the power of the internet, crazier things have happened.

I greatly appreciate any and all help those of you who can read Japanese can provide!

Last edited:

Aurica

音楽オタク - Comics Council 2020
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
A mountain in the US
So weird. Just this past week, I translated the text on a Japanese flag my friend showed me his grandfather had from WWII. This friend is also on era.

JaseC64

Enlightened
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Strong Island NY
Now I'm curious of the text. Hoping you can return this of possible. That would be really kind to do...maybe. not sure how the other party would take it.

Jikagi

Oct 30, 2017
Seems like their name was possibly Toshikazu Nishimura (敏和 西村), the rest of it just seems to have names of other people who signed it plus some stuff like banzai and motivational phrases.

Pororoka

Nov 1, 2017
MX
I think the bigger one is a name of someone named Nishimura Toshikazu. I draw a blank on everything else.

Edit: Looks like I wasn't wrong about the name, thanks Jikagi!

Better Photo in OP
OP
OP
Loxley

Loxley

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
I took a better photo of the flag and turned it right-side-up.

Is that a blood stain in the bottom right??

I have no idea, but I suppose it's entirely possible.

Theres an organization that deals with returning things like this to the soldier's family. They're called the OBON SOCIETY

https://obonsociety.org/eng/

Thats all the help I can give

Ahh perfect, I'll definitely reach out to them.

Reddit would have it translated in a jiffy. Try /r/whatisthisthing.

Great, I'll share it there as well. Thanks!

Schwarzbier

Nov 14, 2017
New Jersey
Because thing is, as unique and interesting of a family keepsake as this is, if there was any way I could find out the name of the soldier who carried it, and whether or not he has any living family or descendants, I would very much like to give it back to them if it's even remotely possible. But hey, with the power of the internet, crazier things have happened.

Good on you OP! Please keep us posted on this!

neon/drifter

Shit Shoe Wasp Smasher
Apr 3, 2018
I took a better photo of the flag and turned it right-side-up.

I have no idea, but I suppose it's entirely possible.

Ahh perfect, I'll definitely reach out to them.

Great, I'll share it there as well. Thanks!
I'm waiting on Reddit, I really think they'll have it figured out.

Oct 30, 2017
Your Imagination
The flag is covered in names with small messages next to them saying things like "Banzai", "Good luck before you go London" (or thereabouts), "Japanese spirit" etc.

Likely the person who owned this was called Nishimura and these are messages from various family members and friends.

Midramble

Force of Habit
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
San Francisco
Wife was translating for me (she's Japanese). She says it's mostly names. Two of them is a proverb translates "after you die you'll serve the emperor in the afterlife". She told me it is basically a farewell/congratulations flag/card to someone going off to fight that will most likely die.

Edit: wife says the person it was given to definitely has the last name Nishimura. First name might be Toshikazu. Depends on the kanji reading.

Edit edit: purplemonkey111 has a more direct translation of the proverb below. Wife just gave me 10 minutes of background on this thing. Seems sad.

Last edited:
Mar 7, 2020
USA
alot of them are names and some random statements from the individuals signing it. Also the phrase 七生報国 しちしょうほうこく is repeated numerous times.

It basicly means, I will use all 7 lives to serve the country.

To go into historical context. Shichishouhokoku is the dying word of a Japanese samurai Kusunoki Masahige during the sengoku era before he and his forces were overrunned. Here's the wiki if anyone is interested.

It was later used in WW2 by Japanese soldiers to show their patriotism and was especially popular among the Kamikaze pilots.

In the US it would be like "Remember the Alamo" to be equivilant.

Last edited:

Zhao_Yun

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
Only recently saw a video about a US soldier returning such a flag to Japanese family members via the Obon Society and it was really moving. Would be great of this would work out for this flag as well.

OP
OP
Loxley

Loxley

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Thank you so much to everyone providing translations, I greatly appreciate it!

Seems like their name was possibly Toshikazu Nishimura (敏和 西村), the rest of it just seems to have names of other people who signed it plus some stuff like banzai and motivational phrases.
The flag is covered in names with small messages next to them saying things like "Banzai", "Good luck before you go London" (or thereabouts), "Japanese spirit" etc.

Likely the person who owned this was called Nishimura and these are messages from various family members and friends.
Wife was translating for me (she's Japanese). She says it's mostly names. Two of them is a proverb translates "after you die you'll serve the emperor in the afterlife". She told me it is basically a farewell/congratulations flag/card to someone going off to fight that will most likely die.

Edit: wife says the person it was given to definitely has the last name Nishimura. First name might be Toshikazu. Depends on the kanji reading.

This is amazing. Attaching a name to the flag is honestly getting me a bit emotional. Like suddenly it's become a lot more real.

Between my grandpa and my uncle, the flag had been collecting dust for 77 years with nobody looking into its history. So to already have part of the mystery possibly solved after literally having it my possession it for less than a day is so freaking cool.

sweetmini

Jun 12, 2019
It's a good thing you're doing there OP, my heartfelt thanks for the pursue of the gesture.
I hope it finds its way back to the family and the country.

Muu

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, looks like a flag for a Mr. Toshikazu Nishimura.

There's a bunch of names under "banzai" on the top left (read from right to left): Fukuko (富久子) Nishimura, Tsuneko? (恒子) Nishimura, among others. Assuming many of those are family members and friends of Mr. Nishimura.

Deleted member 3812

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is amazing. Attaching a name to the flag is honestly getting me a bit emotional. Like suddenly it's become a lot more real.

Between my grandpa and my uncle, the flag had been collecting dust for 77 years with nobody looking into its history. So to already have part of the mystery possibly solved after literally having it my possession it for less than a day is so freaking cool.

I'm so glad to see that you are very interested in the history of this flag and it's not going to be collecting dust and essentially forgotten under your ownership.

I hope you can find the Japanese family of the person whose this flag was dedicated to and have the flag returned to them.

Oct 26, 2017
Appalachia
Heartwarming 😊

Elfgore

Mar 2, 2020
Sounds like some people gave you some solid info. Good luck in this venture!

Only recently saw a video about a US soldier returning such a flag to Japanese family members via the Obon Society and it was really moving. Would be great of this would work out for this flag as well.

That was an incredibly nice video. Thanks for sharing!

Praxis

Sausage Tycoon
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Very nice thing to do and I'm a sucker for anything WW2. I'll be keeping an eye on this thread.

orzkare

Apr 9, 2020
Japan
I'm a Japanese.
As already mentioned, It's a message flag for Nishimura Toshikazu who drafted from his family or friends.
Most of them are major phrase like "Good luck", "Japanese Spirits", "Banzai"

Mochi

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Seattle

Thank you for sharing this. OP if you have the capacity to do so it might be worth contacting the Obon society! Looks like they operate through Oregon state:

obonsociety.org

Obon Society | How to Return a Flag

OBON SOCIETY is a non-profit humanitarian effort dedicated to the pursuit of peace. We provide opportunities for reconciliation between families through the return of personal items taken during war.

OP
OP
Loxley

Loxley

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Oh! I completely forgot - along with the flag my grandfather also brought back this draw-string sack. Any idea what it is or what is says? We (my family and I) figured it was a mail bag or something along those lines.

JmZlPls.jpg

LPJ6QIt.jpg

UnluckyKate

Oct 25, 2017
A redditor a few years ago came and asked the same. They could track the bataillon and the son i think of the very recently deceased soldier.

cvxfreak

DINO CRISIS SUX
Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo
Oh! I completely forgot - along with the flag my grandfather also brought back this draw-string sack. Any idea what it is or what is says? We (my family and I) figured it was a mail bag or something along those lines.

東京市大森区雪ヶ谷八六一
旭ダイヤモンド工業株式会社
工場従業員一同

"Tokyo City, Omori Ward, Yukigaya 681
Asahi Diamond Industrial Co.
To All Factory Workers"

You've got some history on your hands! Tokyo is no longer referred to as a "City" and Omori Ward no longer exists (it's pretty much now Ota Ward near Haneda Airport and Sega's old HQ).

squall23

Oct 25, 2017
Why am I finding more information about 七生報國 from Chinese articles than any Japanese article? They all say the same thing though about it's origins and use.