• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

ContraWars

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Wonder Boy and Fantasy Zone are invincible against monkey paws. It's impossible to make a bad wonder boy or fantasy zone game. Even at the height of the worst part of the Sega Ages 2500 3D line, the Fantasy Zone 1 remake was awesome.

Oh yeah? I bet Sega is looking at this, saying "Hold my beer" and partnering with a Chinese MMORPG butcher shop as we speak. "Wonderboy Online", featuring seasonal loot tiers you can buy into, a huge grind for gold coins that's pay to win to boost, a ruthless mod scene that bans you for using a European or American IP address. Subscriptions that cost 40 bucks a month.

Nali

Oct 25, 2017
Thank you very much everyone for your kind comments! <3
Speaking as someone whose only previous experience with the series was the Dragon's Trap remake, Monster Boy blew me away by comparison.

(And as part of the tiny niche of people who want to play 2D platformers on PC in ultrawide, thanks for that too.)

Deleted member 12790

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Speaking as someone whose only previous experience with the series was the Dragon's Trap remake, Monster Boy blew me away by comparison.

(And as part of the tiny niche of people who want to play 2D platformers on PC in ultrawide, thanks for that too.)

GO PLAY WONDER BOY IN MONSTER WORLD

Piston

Oct 25, 2017
Holy shit this game goes on forever. I was in The Volcano for 3+ hours and now I have been lost in the Ghost Manor for another 3+ hours. I can't even tell what is side content and what I need to progress the level... it's honestly a complete mess.

I've been accidentally unlocking Gold Pieces, Power Gems, and other collectibles for a good hour now without any other progress and I can't figure out where to go even with a guide. I'm at the point I just want to finish the game and I can't do that.

SmittyWerbenManJensen

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Floater’s Cemetery
Agreed. Monster Boy and the Cursed Kingdom will go down as one of the most underappreciated games ever. It's fantastic but went completely under the radar last year (despite high praise). I'd love a sequel. Also, the games soundtrack was AMAZING.

Y2Kev

Oct 25, 2017
I bought one when aeana forced me to at gunpoint. I liked it. Really long game.

Thomas Kern

Executive Producer at FDG Entertainment
Verified
Nov 7, 2017
Germany
Holy shit this game goes on forever. I was in The Volcano for 3+ hours and now I have been lost in the Ghost Manor for another 3+ hours. I can't even tell what is side content and what I need to progress the level... it's honestly a complete mess.

I've been accidentally unlocking Gold Pieces, Power Gems, and other collectibles for a good hour now without any other progress and I can't figure out where to go even with a guide. I'm at the point I just want to finish the game and I can't do that.

Open the map, notice two exclamation marks. Each one marks a point of interest - 2 quests that are required to beat the Ghost Manor.

Piston

Oct 25, 2017
Open the map, notice two exclamation marks. Each one marks a point of interest - 2 quests that are required to beat the Ghost Manor.
I got through it eventually, was just frustrated in the moment because I was stuck in the eastern portion of the dungeon for quite a long time. I also had to look up what to do to face the boss with the translation...

I am enjoying the game for sure. I think I was just breezing through the earlier parts of the game and when the difficulty ramped up it was a bit jarring for me. I had like 60% of the map explored at 6 hours and thought I was going to finish it faster than the average player and I definitely am not at this rate.

I am pretty stubborn, once I notice a puzzle I have to try to finish it. I just spent 10 minutes trying to pass the Spear routine in the Castle.

Thomas Kern

Executive Producer at FDG Entertainment
Verified
Nov 7, 2017
Germany
I got through it eventually, was just frustrated in the moment because I was stuck in the eastern portion of the dungeon for quite a long time. I also had to look up what to do to face the boss with the translation...

I am enjoying the game for sure. I think I was just breezing through the earlier parts of the game and when the difficulty ramped up it was a bit jarring for me. I had like 60% of the map explored at 6 hours and thought I was going to finish it faster than the average player and I definitely am not at this rate.

I am pretty stubborn, once I notice a puzzle I have to try to finish it. I just spent 10 minutes trying to pass the Spear routine in the Castle.

Ok, no problem - thanks for letting me know! The game is really big, some players needed 40 hours to finish it - it's also most enjoyable if you take your time ^^

Piston

Oct 25, 2017
Oof I just ran into another really obtuse bit of game design... I'm in the Dark World and I just found out I need all the Golden Sword pieces... that wasn't mentioned at all previously in the game, it felt like an optional side quest and now I have to go scavenge for two more parts. I understand the map pointing out the locations is there for a reason but it still feels tacked on as a "oh by the way" type thing.

I really like this game and I want to like it more but things like this make it a little frustrating.

EntelechyFuff

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Nov 19, 2019
Having played them all, this one is definitely my favorite wonder boy game.

I don't know if there's ever been a series revival as incredible as this one. I imagine it is tempting to "do what works" and stick closely to the popular features of a series, but Monster Boy expanded and redefined what a wonder boy game can be.

CO_Andy

Oct 25, 2017
Enjoying my first playthru of the game right now. It's not my favorite in the series but it's a decent entry.

The controls are clunkier than i'd like when it comes to the ring menu when switching forms and magic.

Deleted member 5127

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The naming of this series confuses me, but I loved both The Dragon's Trap and The Cursed Kingdom. I bought them mainly for the gorgeous art but the gameplay is amazing(and so is the music). Probably my favourite metroidvanias.

Piston

Oct 25, 2017
Finished it! I did enjoy most of the Dark Void section and a lot of the actual platforming/puzzling in the rest of the game. I'm just shit when a game or level opens up as much as this did at times. The beginning parts that were mostly on rails were more to my liking. My favorite boss was the Uncle.

The backtracking went decently fast thanks to the locations so it wasn't as bad as it could have been. It still took me 30+ minutes to get those extras and then I had to grind in the Graveyard to get a little extra money to forge the Sword/Armor.

The graphics/art style/animation and music were great. I would recommend to anyone looking for a meaty action platformer.

Stats-
Total Playtime: 17:14:28
Completion: 79.8%
Elixers Used: 48
Times Defeated: 148
Coins Collected: 11075

Enjoying my first playthru of the game right now. It's not my favorite in the series but it's a decent entry.

The controls are clunkier than i'd like when it comes to the ring menu when switching forms and magic.
I found it easier to just turn off the ring menu and memorize the order of the forms.

Last edited:

pixelation

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I am currently playing Wonder Boy on PS4 and loving it so far, I have only played the demo for Monster Boy but I'll say that the graphic style for Wonder Boy is much better than Monster Boy's.

Chairman Yang

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Bought this from the recent eshop sale. Zero Wonder Boy experience. Just got to the village with the pig form.

Holy crap. This game is shocking me with how well-designed it is. It has so much design variety, but it all feels cohesive. The pacing is superb. The graphics are stunning. I've only heard a few tracks so far, but the music somehow feels modern, fresh, and nostalgic all at once.

I'm very excited to keep playing. I hope the game keeps up this level of quality. This is a wonderful formula, skillfully-executed.

Cokomon

One Winged Slayer
Nov 11, 2017
If we're posting Monster Boy music that slaps, the castle theme really gets going 15 seconds in, when the trumpets start going.

Also, the second rendition of the indoor castle is pretty good, too.

DealWithIt

Oct 28, 2017
Ok, no problem - thanks for letting me know! The game is really big, some players needed 40 hours to finish it - it's also most enjoyable if you take your time ^^
Just wanted to tag you and say I love the game. Hope we get more! Thanks to the team for making this. Bought it day 1 and enjoyed the hell out of it.

OT: If you liked this game, which honestly you should, the I implore you to play Wonderboy in Monster World for the genesis, it's on the mini. Still holds up incredibly well.

Chairman Yang

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speaking of Monster Boy music, this song is excellent:

Just got the frog form and made it back to the village. Game's still amazing. If this came out in the 16-bit or even the PS1 days with downgraded graphics, it would be considered among the greatest of all time.

And yes, this track is one of the highlights of a superb soundtrack. I've been listening to it frequently outside of the game.

MrS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Can't front. The pig's strut is cute af. Need a sequel asap. Really enjoyable platinum.

Oct 29, 2017
Both this and Axiom Verge are in my backlog and I was planning on tackling one of either when I finish with what I'm playing now. I guess I'm expecting biased answers in a Monster Boy thread, but which do you guys think I should play first?

OP
OP
Detective Pidgey

Detective Pidgey

Alt Account
Banned
Jun 4, 2019

I sure took my time, explored every nook and crannie. I played that game on daily basis, couldn't drop it, and thus other games had to wait. Love the game :)

Beastlove

Nov 1, 2017
Picked this up in the ps sale and absolutely loved this game. It is so good. Cannot recommend enough

MrS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Both this and Axiom Verge are in my backlog and I was planning on tackling one of either when I finish with what I'm playing now. I guess I'm expecting biased answers in a Monster Boy thread, but which do you guys think I should play first?
Axiom Verge is a lot shorter and generally a smaller game than MB. Play Axiom if you want something quick, play MB if you want something a fair bit longer. MB is better also.

Poppy

Oct 25, 2017
richmond, va
honestly think this game is pretty dull so far, just got the first orb and put the game down for a week and doubt i will pick it back up

it's nice but i dont get much out of it

Kientin

Oct 27, 2017
Just wanted to chime in and say that I played this (an end to the tour of the whole series for me) and its an amazing game. I couldn't stop playing and 100% the whole thing. Please give it a shot.

Chairman Yang

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Just got dragon form and played with it a bit. Honestly shocked that the game's pacing is still excellent--there haven't been any boring lulls. The stream of new abilities and challenges keeps coming. Can it last at this level of quality until the very end?

Nabbit

Oct 25, 2017
Just got dragon form and played with it a bit. Honestly shocked that the game's pacing is still excellent--there haven't been any boring lulls. The stream of new abilities and challenges keeps coming. Can it last at this level of quality until the very end?

To me, it definitely can and does! The endgame is awesome. I especially enjoyed going for all the secrets in the game. Had to look up a few though.

Chairman Yang

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Finished the haunted house area (great Castlevania-ish music here btw). Love how puzzle-oriented this game is. And the puzzles are great--not too easy, not too hard, require some execution skill, and they really push the player to fully use every ability at their disposal, even switching forms in mid-action.

Already a contender for best Metroidvania of all time for me.

To me, it definitely can and does! The endgame is awesome. I especially enjoyed going for all the secrets in the game. Had to look up a few though.
Nice. That was a concern for me but allowing trading in those rainbow drops for secret map markers was a very good design decision.

Nabbit

Oct 25, 2017
Finished the haunted house area (great Castlevania-ish music here btw). Love how puzzle-oriented this game is. And the puzzles are great--not too easy, not too hard, require some execution skill, and they really push the player to fully use every ability at their disposal, even switching forms in mid-action.

Already a contender for best Metroidvania of all time for me.

Nice. That was a concern for me but allowing trading in those rainbow drops for secret map markers was a very good design decision.

Most definitely, the rainbow drops are an awesome game mechanic.

If you can figure out one of the game's secrets without googling it though, you deserve a medal.🏅 At the least. Maybe an honorary degree in video game skills.

But yeah, the Haunted House area was incredibly cool and the puzzles were tough and tricky but satisfying. Getting 100% in this game is such a joy and the music definitely is a part of that.

Hope you continue to enjoy your time with the game, I'm sure you will.