• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Detective Pidgey

Alt Account
Banned
Jun 4, 2019
So basically in the last two weeks during my gaming hours I've been playing nothing but Monster Boy and the cursed kingdom. I just couldn't put it down, I was that hooked on it.

I've never played the games on the Sega systems but last year I did play Wonder Boy on Xbox One and loved it. I've did everything this game had to offer, collected every weapon, music piece, armor piece and so on. The only thing I didn't get was the achievement that you have explored the whole map. To my knowledge I fully explored it all, but ah well, I don't care much for achievements.

But this game was worth 100%ing it. I love all the different abilities, the creatures you can turn into and how the game really wants you to keep switching between them to get somewhere. In some levels there's actually some really clever and original ideas (Haunted Manor) without spoiling anything. And the soundtrack? I fucking love it!

And man, this game is long as hell. I certainly didn't expect it to be this long, but I love it. I really hope the developer has a sequel or something similar in the pipeline because I will get it day one this time around. Along with Ori it's my favorite Metroidvania. I didn't play many in my life, Wonder Boy comes to mind and not much else.

I'm now busy with Bloodstained, but honestly I'm already missing Monster Boy.

Bernkastel

Teyvat Traveler
The Fallen
Jan 15, 2018
Brazil
I bought the game this holiday sale and I loved the game so much that I got the platinum trophy in 4 days. I really want a sequel too.

Cabana Boy

Oct 28, 2017
Got to the
graveyard
today and have been running around for a while looking for key to a door at the end. Can somebody confirm that the key is somewhere in that area? a y/n will suffice. Really really enjoying my time with it. The look and the music makes me so happy every time I boot i up!

Bernkastel

Teyvat Traveler
The Fallen
Jan 15, 2018
Brazil
Got to the
graveyard
today and have been running around for a while looking for key to a door at the end. Can somebody confirm that the key is somewhere in that area? a y/n will suffice. Really really enjoying my time with it. The look and the music makes me so happy every time I boot i up!
Yep.

jandg

Banned
Dec 23, 2019
Sadly, I did hear the game didn't make a profit. Hence they said their next project won't be a sequel.

Perhaps something changed since then, but it would be a next project after the current one at least.

Tainted

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
I played this game to death this time last year...platinum'd it and proceed to play through it again 3 more times and once again on the PC when it released there. Fantastic game and I really hope Game Atelier / FDG work on a sequel

Props also to the OST which is god tier :

jandg

Banned
Dec 23, 2019
Really? Such an injustice for one of the best games this gen. I wonder if using the Wonder Boy name instead would have helped. I know that's niche, too, but the name Monster Boy makes it sound like a knock off.
I think it was also marketing. As it was a top rated game that never got appreciated as such. If the publisher was campaigning a bit more to have it selected goty or at least some award, it would've helped

GamerJM

Nov 8, 2017
I played through this game recently and it's okay but I'm kind of baffled at the praise I've seen the (admittedly small) pool of people who have played it give it. The physics feel kinda janky and nothing it does is really too memorable. I thought the game looked really beautiful at first but for some reason the more I played it the more I felt like it looked like a flash game. I also agree that the game was a little too long for what it set out to do, though admittedly I also kind of sucked at it so some parts probably took me longer than the average player.

Piston

Oct 25, 2017
I'm playing it right now and enjoying it enough. I don't think it does any one thing phenomenally and there is really too much equipment and forms to change between by the end.

I had to figure out how to turn off the wheel selection because it was ruining the flow.

I'm at the Volcano right now and man this is a ridiculously long dungeon. It has the contents of what would be 2 or 3 full dungeons in most games. There was a huge difficulty spike too.

Last edited:

retroman

Oct 31, 2017
It's a lovely game and a more than worthy successor to Wonder Boy III: The Dragon's Trap, one of my all-time favourite games. I sure hope we'll be seeing a sequel.

Deleted member 12790

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If you loved Monster Boy, go play Wonder Boy in Monster World

Outright, hands down my favorite gaming series ever

Dtr8IqnVAAA_wck.jpg:large

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I played this game to death this time last year...platinum'd it and proceed to play through it again 3 more times and once again on the PC when it released there. Fantastic game and I really hope Game Atelier / FDG work on a sequel

Props also to the OST which is god tier :

IMO the Dragon's Trap remake has the best OST in the entire series:

But Monster Boy has some incredible music too. I love how all these games frequently call back to one another with their music. So, so many awesome remixes of the series staple songs. That's one of my favorite things about the Wonder Boy series: how self-referential they are. There is a consistent lore, it's a game series that is proud of itself and it shows. One of the few game series that I would say NEVER had a single bad entry. Every single game in this series is solid gold.

Oreiller

Oct 25, 2017
Sadly, I did hear the game didn't make a profit. Hence they said their next project won't be a sequel.

Perhaps something changed since then, but it would be a next project after the current one at least.
Do you have any sources on that? I remember the publisher saying the game was a success and that its sales were healthy.

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The best thing about this series of games is how every single game has people who say it's their favorite in the series. That's partially because each game in the series is so different from each other, while still feeling similar. It's perfectly valid to prefer the stage based Wonder Boy in Monster Land, or the animal based Wonder Boy III: The Dragon's Trap, or the more Zelda-like Monster Boy, or the linear Monster World IV. I prefer Wonder Boy in Monster World the most, I feel like it strikes the best balance of mixing all the games together. Heck, some people even prefer the arcade Wonder Boy III or the mario-like Wonderboy. Doesn't matter what your tastes are, you'll find at least one game in the series you love.

Monster World IV is beautiful, btw.

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Would hope it wasn't true, but this is what I remember one of the developers responded on the Steam forum some time ago. I can see if I can dig up that response.

venturebeat.com

Monster Boy sells 8 times more on Switch than PS4 and Xbox One combined

Monster Boy and the Cursed Kingdom is proving the huge demand for software on Switch. Here's why games like this are thriving on the system.

"Nintendo Switch continues to amaze us," reads a tweet by Monster Boy publisher FDG Entertainment. "Not only does it bring so much joy with its original games, it's also the most profitable console business ever for us. It's another universe in regards of sales numbers.[Monster Boy's] ratio is [eight-to-one Nintendo Switch versus] everything else."

From just a few days ago:

Sales have been good.

Bulebule

Oct 27, 2017
Monster Boy and the Cursed Kingdom is such an amazing game. Fun gameplay, amazing graphics, great soundtrack (my favourite is the one when you go outside the village) If there is one gripe, though, it has to be second part of certain puzzle which feels like trial and error trying the right combination. Especially when compared to all other puzzles which have clear hints. However, it is entirely optional so doesn't bother me that much. The series does need a new entry, it's easily most fun I have had with metroidvanias in years.

Thomas Kern

Executive Producer at FDG Entertainment
Verified
Nov 7, 2017
Germany
Wot. That's not true. I'm pretty sure it sold better than they thought it would.
Right, Thomas Kern?

Hi Everyone, happy to hear most of you are enjoying Monster Boy - thank you for sharing your positive experience and thoughts!
As the question came up, I want to clarify the truth about profit.

Long story short: It took quite a while to become profitable, but it is ^_^
Some more info: The main reason why it took rather long to become profitable is that the game ended up way more expensive than initially planned. Over 2 million dollars! Since we didn't know if we'd ever get to work on such a beloved series again, we gave it all and tuned it as much as we could. We wanted to provide a meaty experience, worthy to be named in the history of Wonder Boy games and a game that would keep fans busy for quite some time - also in case it's the final game in the series. We are fans of the series so in a way the provided budget wasn't a sane business decision but coming from our hearts as gamers. Sidenote: We also kept a door open to continue it, in case we'd be able to work on the license again (see 100% completion screen). Right now we work on a different game though.

It's uncertain if there'll ever be a Monster Boy 2 but it's possible! While I'm mostly very happy about the majority of feedback on the game, I'm also a bit frustrated with some negative comments. We added so much variety to the game, spent 5 years to tune it and offer more than just a hallway-metroidvania game and yet some people stop playing way too early, giving up frustrated because it's no simple rush through the game. It would've been so much simpler to make standard hallway metroidvania but we went the extra mile to go a different route. Please take your time to explore the game properly. Having said that, most players have enjoyed it a lot and I think Platinum completion percentage of player-base is around 20% which is quite high for a game nowadays. Last but not least, thank you all for your support and please keep recommending the game in case you enjoyed it. Wishing you all a Happy New Year and decade!

Deleted member 17210

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I want an OoT-inspired 3D Wonder Boy game like Sega fans have been dreaming about for decades.
This is what I wanted in the Saturn/Dreamcast days. It would probably need a big budget to pull it off properly today. 3d Zeldas have been kind of Wonder Boy-ish themselves with playing music on a magical Ocarina and character transformations.

Valcrist

Tic-Tac-Toe Champion
Oct 25, 2017
Hi Everyone, happy to hear most of you are enjoying Monster Boy - thank you for sharing your positive experience and thoughts!

Some more info: The main reason why it took rather long to become profitable is that the game ended up way more expensive than initially planned. Over 2 million dollars! Since we didn't know if we'd ever get to work on such a beloved series again, we gave it all and tuned it as much as we could. We wanted to provide a meaty experience, worthy to be named in the history of Wonder Boy games and a game that would keep fans busy for quite some time - also in case it's the final game in the series. We are fans of the series so in a way the provided budget wasn't a sane business decision but coming from our hearts as gamers. Sidenote: We also kept a door open to continue it, in case we'd be able to work on the license again (see 100% completion screen). Right now we work on a different game though.

It's uncertain if there'll ever be a Monster Boy 2 but it's possible! While I'm mostly very happy about the majority of feedback on the game, I'm also a bit frustrated with some negative comments. We added so much variety to the game, spent 5 years to tune it and offer more than just a hallway-metroidvania game and yet some people stop playing way too early, giving up frustrated because it's no simple rush through the game. It would've been so much simpler to make standard hallway metroidvania but we went the extra mile to go a different route. Please take your time to explore the game properly. Having said that, most players have enjoyed it a lot and I think Platinum completion percentage of player-base is around 20% which is quite high for a game nowadays. Last but not least, thank you all for your support and please keep recommending the game in case you enjoyed it. Wishing you all a Happy New Year and decade!
Many of us love the game. I got it day one on PS4 and got the platinum. I'll be there day one again if you all make a new one!!

Aeana

Oct 25, 2017
I did my best to spread the word about the game. I gave away a bunch of copies around release to try to spread the word. I think the hardest part has been getting people to even give it a try. Most people who try it and play long enough to get past the really easy intro stage end up enjoying it. There are some factors running against it, not the least of which being the price since people will compare it to Hollow Knight's $15 and wonder why it can't also be that price. But it's pretty obvious that Monster Boy was made by more people and the soundtrack has some big names, so it's no wonder it couldn't launch for the price of a game made by 3 people.

Deleted member 17210

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I did my best to spread the word about the game. I gave away a bunch of copies around release to try to spread the word. I think the hardest part has been getting people to even give it a try. Most people who try it and play long enough to get past the really easy intro stage end up enjoying it. There are some factors running against it, not the least of which being the price since people will compare it to Hollow Knight's $15 and wonder why it can't also be that price. But it's pretty obvious that Monster Boy was made by more people and the soundtrack has some big names, so it's no wonder it couldn't launch for the price of a game made by 3 people.
What's also frustrating is that I think the game has even more mainstream appeal for gameplay and design than Hollow Knight. It's far more forgiving in difficulty, has more fast travel options, etc..

NediarPT88

Oct 29, 2017

Glad to read this. Wish you guys the best and can't wait for the next game :)

Regarding the part about some people giving up on the game, that will always be the case no matter how good the game is. Pacing in this game is excellent with a great mix of exploration, puzzles, platforming and combat. Hard to do better in that regard imo, it's just a matter of taste.

Thomas Kern

Executive Producer at FDG Entertainment
Verified
Nov 7, 2017
Germany

Thank you very much for your support! It's thanks to you and other precious active fans and supporters, that the game could become profitable and be a success. The word of mouth remains strong with the game and I think Monster Boy is a very unique exxperience in the sea of Metroidvania games. Yes, the price war is a problem today. Many games get very cheap or even free rather quickly so the price of $39.99 doesn't help. Given the amount of content and variety, it was impossible to sell at lower initial price. Monster Boy is 4 times as long as Dragon's Trap for example. We've seen impressive spikes in sales at 50% discount ($19.99) and we're aware that this cheaper price is still $5 more than Hollow Knight, triple the price when Hollow Knight is on sale. Another problem is coming up recently: the eShop gets spammed with 1-49cent shovelware sales and I don't like this development. It's impossible to get proper visibility with all those chart list exploit sale strategies. Of course we can't blame them, Nintendo should never allow games for 1 cent to begin with.

jandg

Banned
Dec 23, 2019

Hey man, Monsterboy is better than any other Wonderboy game. It's only nostalgia that is booting up Dragon's Trap for me now.

Really hope there's more in the pipeline. And the game becomes much more profitable in the future